I'm on my third go with Daniels 2Q, 55-70. I can give you a few tips here:
- Don't use his M pace. It's unrealistic and will crush you. If you're using his VDOT, use it for your T and I pace, but your M pace is probably something like what he says +10 seconds
- His 4x2 plus 2x1 doesn't make any sense. I've always removed that workout from the plan. This is one of those cases where you need to follow his principles and not what one of his assistants wrote as a workout session in the back. He stresses in his book that you shouldn't run more than 10% of your weekly mileage at T pace in any session. I honestly am convinced that this one workout is a typo. If you take a look at the same workout in the 71-85 plan, it's only 4x2T. So just run 4x2, that's enough T work for you
- Expect to feel like complete crap the days after a Q session. I sometimes need to run those at M+120 or M+150. I then feel slightly better, but still bad for the next E day, but often feel refreshed by day 3. Don't worry about your easy running pace. Just take it as slow as you need to recover and get ready for the next Q session.
- Are you training in a hot location? I get crushed by his workouts in hot/humid weather, but once the weather turns, you will feel like a machine.
- I highly recommend 1 down week for every 3 up weeks. His mileage in the book doesn't really say that, but he talks about it in his book. I usually do 3 up weeks, 1 down week at 70% volume, then go up 5 MPW. So you're increasing mileage about 5 MPW per month with a down week in there. Helps you recover nicely, and the down weeks also give you an opportunity to get a race in at the end of the week because you can mini-taper into them and still hit 70%.