Menâ€™s 400 hurdles: Cuban-born Yasmani Copello of Turkey earns first career DL win
Copello, who stands 6â€™1â€ and was 6th at Worlds last year, was done no favors by the lane draw as he started from lane 1, but he came on strong over the final 100 and won a close three-way battle in 48.79 over Puerto Ricoâ€™s Javier Culson and the U.S.â€™s Michael Tinsley, who won in Shanghai and Eugene.
Culson, running blind in lane 8, got out well and led off the final turn, but Copello and Tinsley were both working hard to reel him in on the home straight. In the end, it was Copello who was strongest, edging ahead over the final few meters to take the win.
This was progress for Culson, who broke 49 seconds for the first time this year. He was only 7th at Drake, 8th in Shanghai and 7th at Pre. Kenyaâ€™s Nicholas Bett struggled again and was only sixth in 49.85, over two seconds slower than what he ran to win the World Champs in Beijing last year.
Pl. Athlete Nat. Birth Result
1. Yasmani COPELLO TUR 87 48.79
2. Javier CULSON PUR 84 48.99
3. Michael TINSLEY USA 84 49.02
4. Kerron CLEMENT USA 85 49.61
5. Karsten WARHOLM NOR 96 49.80
6. Nicholas BETT KEN 90 49.85
7. Patryk DOBEK POL 94 50.27
8. Ã˜yvind StrÃ¸mmen KJERPESET NOR 91 50.98