Freelance Programmer / "Software Engineer"
- Work from home/anywhere you want
- Work any schedule you want, as you have time, as long as you meet deadlines
- Don't have to interact with customers/clients
- Only have to work about 25 hours a week
- Above average (six figure) salary
- Depending on your projects you get passive income from things like hosting and licensing fees, and potential for big money with projects where you get stock or revenue sharing
- Work can be monotonous and you can feel like a code monkey
- There is no clear separation of work time and personal time and you tend to be "on call" 24-7
- On project deadlines you may find yourself working 80+ hour weeks
- You don't interact with people, and working from home can bring you to times where you realize you haven't left the house in days
- Income is highly dependent on whims of clients as there often aren't any real contracts. Losing one client can take you from 12K/mo to 2K/mo.