* 800 meters. A clear "choke" by Christian Smith. Get a haircut & let's start racing like you want to win. Be KD!
* 1500 meters: Let's quit crying about the number of folks in the respective heats. The real issue is that American Milers don't want to run fast at the championships which will be in stark contrast to the World Championships. Instead of approaching the event as a "Heat", American milers should approach it as a "Race" which will be reality in Berlin. They'll need to PR in the heats in order to advance.
Furthermore, w/so many in the field w/o even a "B" Standard why did we see a pedestrian pace in the first couple of laps. Not too mention any names...JMac...I'm sure you were "Just Happy to Be There" and good on ya....but why weren't you and many others not going for the standard/win?Did all of you "Non-Standard Milers" really think you could outkick Manzano and Lomong for the big win? The real hope is that they get boxed in or do a Vessey versus you all being able to get them at the lean.
Let's face it....many American Milers are "Weak Sisters" when it comes to laying it on the line.
* 1500m: Alan Webb & the rest of the Summer: I'd recommend that Webb move his focus to the Steeple and 5th Avenue Mile. Be like Anna Willard! Take some pressure off yourself and do something new which you'd probably be great at like Anna....additionally, the US Steeple is wideopen. Probably the weakest US field from a international perspective other than the racewalk. Have fun and run the steeple and then finish up strong at 5th Avenue in September. Then RESET and figure out if you need a change. I'd recommend John Cook since he's there in Northern Va or some kind of partnership between him and Razcko. Screw next years indoors....come back strong in IAAF Cross-Country, then make the call come Spring time on Middle Distance or the Steeple.
* 5K Tony "Suicide by Front-Runing" Fam. Let's not BS here....FAM did not want to make the team. He's got a mental barrier to hurdle for his career. What else would explain him running like an idiot into a strong headwind. You can just see him saying to himself....."I'll make this a race early so I can have an "out" at the end." Lickety don't play that ....FAM I'm "OUTING" you on this one. You CHOKED yourself.
* 5K: German Fernandez: What a stud! He may have won the 1500m if he chose. Kudos to Coach Smith for bringing him along. More athletes should consider OSU....I'd say that bringing a talented athlete to the next level is more difficult/pressure than a underdeveloped athlete to prominence.
* The Mammoth Lakes Group. Aside from Anna Willard, the nationals represented poor decisionmaking & performance by Terrance Mahon's group. Why would he not have Kastor and Hall duke it out in the 10k w/the rest of the folks? I'm telling you...the further you keep our marathoners from coming back to the track & World Cross Country the farther behind they'll fall. Both Hall & Kastor ran best when still running track versus these road races and Mammoth tempo runs. It's also disappointing to see Mahon coach down the Slattery's....they're smart in leaving and I predict will come back hard.
* Former John Cook Athletes: Based upon demonstrated performance, I'd say that Flanagan and Donahoe made bad calls. Shumacher's coached her down to a second place and more than a minute slower....Donahoe's stagnated.