Elite Distance News
- LRC 4-Time World Champ Vivian Cheruiyot Gives Birth To Baby Boy The question now becomes, when will the Kenyan 5,000 record holder return to competition?
- Cool Facebook Post By Meb: Meb Keflezighi's 26 Most Memorable Miles Number 25 on his list said, "2012 London Olympic Games, last mile after coming back from 20th place to 4th with 500m to go. Winning is not about first place, but giving it all you got on any given day. I sure did that day and had to use a wheel chair to get around the airport a few days later."
- New WR! British 10,000m Champion Andrew Lemoncello Breaks World Treadmill Half Marathon Record He ran 67:29, breaking the previous record of 68:50 set by US's Mike Wardian earlier this year. Lemoncello raised almost $30,000 for the National Down Syndrome Society (NDSS) after his daughter, Isla, was born with Down Syndrome in June.
- MB: Anthony Famiglietti sighting - He's back - wins Big South 5k in 13:57
- After A Rough Track Season, Amy Hastings Says She's In Good Shape Going Into Next Month's NYC Marathon She thinks she's in better shape than her previous couple of marathons and said, "I've had a couple of tempo runs that were better than I've ever done before. I've been pretty much stride for stride with Kim [Smith]."
- 61-Year-Old Doug Kurtis Gets His 200th Career Sub-3:00 Marathon With A 2:59:03 In Detroit Kurtis is a 5-time Olympic Trials qualifier and has 76 sub-2:20 marathons to his name.
- Aussie Steepler Genevieve LaCaze Returns To Training After Injury Includes video of her on alter-G treadmill.
- Kenya's Top Women Marathoners Think Teamwork Is The Key To Breaking Paula Radcliffe's Marathon WR London Marathon champ Priscah Jeptoo: "I believe it can be achievable if we take a joint approach to a particular race like the Berlin or London marathon."
- USATF Recap Of Masters XC Champs: Atlanta TC Takes NJ By Storm Kathryn Martin and Peter Magill had the top performances based on age-graded performances scoring tables.
IAAF Recap Of South America Junior Track Champs Ecuador's Angela Tenorio was a highlight winning the 100m in a wind-aided 11.24 and the 200m in 23.35.
Sunday Marathon Action - 2013 Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront *Results
Ethiopia: Recap Of 1st-Ever Haile Gebrselassie Marathon Gudisa Shentema, a 2:07 guy, ran and won the race in honor of Haile, who watched the race with friends.
LRC Lanni Marchant Sets New Canadian National Record In Women's Marathon - Runs 2:28:00 In Toronto Deressa Chimsa of Ethiopia has set a new Canadian soil record of 2:07:05.
MB: Lanni Marchant 2:31 in 2012, 2:28:00 in 2013. Athletics Canada still defends denying "rising star" status
CBC: Canadian Records Toppled At Toronto Marathon Eric Gillis ran 2:11:49 and came up short in his bid for the Canadian men's record.
Toronto Star: Marchant Smashes Record
Masters: MB: Ed Whitlock ran 3:41:58 to set age 82 record, Hosaka misses age 62 record
*MB: 2013 Toronto Marathon coverage
Amsterdam: 3-Peat: Wilson Chebet Wins Amsterdam For Third Ttime, Breaks His Own Course Record With 2:05:36 Valentine Kipketer won the women's title in 2:23:02 as American Serena Burla was second in a new PR of 2:28:01.
Beijing: Tadese Tola Breaks 27-Year-Old Beijing Marathon Course Record With 2:07:16 Sprint Finish Win (link fixed) Zhang Yingying won the women's title in 2:31:19.
Birmingham: Uganda's Thomas Ayeko Wins BUPA Great Birmingham Run Half Marathon In 1:02:32 As GB's Chris Thompson Was 2nd (1:03:03) And Abdi Abdirahman 3rd (1:03:08) Aussie Collis Birmingham was 4th (1:03:44) and Olympic 10,000 bronze medalist Tariku Bekele was way back in 5th (1:04:36). GB's Gemma Steel broke her own CR to win in 1:10:19.
Tokyo: Kenyan Benjamin Ngandu Outkicks Yuki Kawauchi To Win Tokyo 20K 59:14 To 59:17
Detroit: 22-Year-Old Former Michigan Runner Zachary Ornelas Wins In 2:20 He's got a 14:12 5,000 PR.
Kenya: 2012 Berlin Marathon 5th Placer Agnes Jepkosgei Wins Kimbilio Marathon In 2:49 Alfred Kipsane won the men's race in 2:16.
Other Marathon News
- Very Interesting Question: Toni Reavis Asks Does Competition Help Or Hurt Marathon WR Attempt? Comparing Chicago to Berlin, Reavis thinks that the competition in Chicago between Dennis Kimetto and Emmanuel Mutai actually hurt Kimetto's final time and his chance at a WR.
- RunnersTribe's Len Johnson Asks Why Australian Men Aren't Running Faster In The Marathon It's been almost 10 years since an Aussie man ran sub-2:10.
- Man Knits 12-Foot Scarf While Running Kansas City Marathon He ran 5:48:27 and his scarf measured at 12 feet, 1 3/4 inches.
- TheBalancedRunner Analyzes Knitting Marathoner's Form And Finds Some Similarities To Elite Africans
Track News In The Off-Season
- South Africa Has Their Own Star In 17-Year-Old Phenom Gena Lofstrand, Who Won Both The 800 And 1,500 National Titles This Year She PRed by 10 seconds in one year to run 2:03 and credits a lot of her improvement to spending a lot of time on a stationary bike in an altitude chamber.
- With No Major Championship In 2014, Ashton Eaton Will Take The Year To Focus On The 400 Hurdles
- Lolo Jones Still Trying Desperately To Win An Olympic Medal And Will Get Another Chance If She Can Make US Bobsled Olympic Team At October 25th Trials Colorado Springs Gazette: "This quest for a medal, any medal, has defined her life for a decade."
- After Missing Moscow 2013 With Injury, HJer Blanka Vlasic Doing Intensive Physical Therapy In Ireland And Hopes To Be Healthy Again For 2014 World Indoor Champs "You don't know how much you miss it until it's taken away from you, but I think that we all need to be taken away from the things we love the most and we are, usually, at some point. You learn how to appreciate it more."
Not Directly Running-Related But Interesting: Tribute To Recently Passed 87-Year-Old Japanese "Marathon Monk" Yusai Sakai Sakai is famous for being one of only one of three men to complete the Sennichi Kaihogyo twice. The Senichi Kailhogyo is a seven-year "quest for enlightenment" that by the end has the monks walking 51 miles a day for 100 days on barely any sleep.
Desire By Some To Race Under A Fake Name Or Anonymously At Odds With Increased Security At Road Races Some are worried about privacy while others just want to run as Bruce Wayne, "Hugh Jass" or Kermit Frog.
Former Head Of Jamaican Anti-Doping Renee Anne Shirley Throws Out More Accusations Against The Organization, Claiming They've "Never Carried Out A Blood Test" She claims they received 30 blood testing kits, but never used them and also says that she thinks Veronica Campbell-Brown's positive test for a diuretic should have resulted in a 2-year ban.
Week That Was
LRC Week That Was: Dennis Kimetto, Rita Jeptoo And All Things Chicago Marathon, Kim Smith, Stephen Sambu Pick Up $100k, Haile Gebrselassie Still Has It We look at just how good Kimetto's and Jeptoo's Chicago performances were, explain why we're not crazy about the BAA Distance Medley's gimmicky prize money structure and remind you that even at 40 years old, Geb is still very, very good.
- WADA Chief John Fahey Furious At Jamaican Anti-Doping For Failing To Accommodate Their Audit Until Next Year Branding JADCO's position "farcical," Fahey said, "To suggest to WADA they're not ready to meet with us to talk about their problem until sometime next year is unsatisfactory, it's totally unacceptable to me and we shall act appropriately within an appropriate time frame."
- NY Times Cycling Article: USADA Exposed Lance Armstrong, But What About Others? In USADA's report, many witnesses were listed who said they doped with Armstrong; however, a year later none of those doping cyclists have been named nor have there been any punishments levied against them.
- Kennedy Kithuka And Emma Bates Are USTFCCCA Athletes Of The Week After Pre-Nats XC Wins Bates won a close race over Aisling Cuffe while Kithuka dominated his race by 33 seconds.
- CRunning Times Weekend Recap: Colorado Men And Georgetown Women Prevail At Pre-Nationals; NAU And Arizona Win Wisconsin Invitational
- Track Gossip: NFL Quarterback Colin Kaepernick Dating Arizona State Sprinter
- Texas Tech Shot Putter Ifeatu Okafor Named 2013 NCAA Woman Of The Year Okafor was an All-American and the Big 12 shot put champion in 2011.
Sprint / Field News
- Yelena Isinbayeva Will Remain An Ambassador For The Youth Olympics Despite Her Anti-Gay Comments After Moscow World Champs
- IAAF Q&A With US Sprint Hurdler Queen Harrison About What She Likes Doing In The Off-Season When She Takes A Break From Training Talking about next year, with no outdoor championship, she says she'll be focused on the 60m hurdles at World Indoors.
- 41-Year-Old Lithuanian Discus Legend Virgilijus Alekna Has No Plans To Retire Despite Competing In His 10th World Championships Last Summer In Moscow
Army Ten Miler: Former Fordham Runner Kerri Gallagher Sets Army 10 Miler Course Record (54:56) Gallagher is coached by Matt Centrowitz. The men's winner was Moscow WC marathon sixth placer Solonei da Silva, who ran 48:04.
Half Marathon In Valencia Spain: Jacob Kendagor (58:58) And Joyce Chepkirui (68:15) Win (tranlated from Spanish) Chepkirui beat her training teammate Emily Chebet (68:20).
Wisconsin And Pre-Nats *Wisconsin Results *Pre-Nats Men's Results/Photos *Pre-Nats Women's Results/Photos *All NCAA XC Weekend Action
- Jesse Squire Analyzes The Weekend's College NCAA XC Action
- adidas Wisconsin: MB: 2013 adidas Wisconsin Invite: Arizona and D'agostino win women's titles, NAU and Campbell win men's The #1 Providence women were third as their 5th runner had a higher score (138) the total team score of #1 Arizona (117) and #2 Arkansas (136).
13:00-flat man Lawi Lalang
was just 13th in the men's race. *Full Results
*Coach James Li Says Lawi Lalang Raced After Only 2 Weeks Of Training Li: "Lawi isn't happy with his race today but I am reasonably happy. He's only trained for two weeks and he still ran five miles at 4:45 pace so that is pretty remarkable."
*NAU Led To Team Title By Futsum Zeinasellassie's 6th-Place FInish
Pre-Nats: MB: Official 2013 Pre Nats Discussion Thread - Colorado men over Oregon, Iona and Stanford - #5 Georgetown over #2 FSU in Women's
Men's Results: 2013 Pre-Nats Men's Results - Colorado And Kennedy Kithuka Win Kithuka dominated but the battle for third between Edward Cheserek and Chris O'Hare was tight.
Women's Results: Georgetown And Emma Bates Win #5 Georgetown upset #2 FSU as three different people led in the finishing straight.
*CU Men Get Big Win At Pre-Nats, Led By Morgan Pearson's 7th Place Finish; Freshman Ben Saarel Was 9th
*Edward Cheserek Leads Oregon To Second Place Finish At Pre-Nats
- More MB Discussion: Give us your biggest surprises/flops from 2013 Pre-Nats and Wisconsin
*BEN MF SAAREL!
*Reason #1 of why track/xc will never be as popular as team sports: #1 Oklahoma State was just 10th at Pre Nats
- 15-Minute Audio Interview With Blanka Vlasic While She Is In Ireland Getting Treatment On Her Achilles Injury
- French IOC Member Says France Needs To Show "Humility" Instead Of "Arrogance" If They Want A Shot At Winning 2024 Olympic Bid Paris has had five consecutive unsuccessful bids.
- Christophe Lemaitre Healed From Injury He Got At Worlds And Is Back In Training
- Olympic Javelin Champ Barbora Spotakova Says The Gor 2014 Is To Break Her Own WR
- GB Sprint Phenom Adam Gemili Special Guest At Children World Marathon Challenge In London On Wednesday
- Yohan Blake's Agent Cubie Seegobin Warns Jamaican Athletes They Could Lose Respect If The Public Isn't Educated About Doping "Do people even understand what it's all about? You hear that [Powell and Simpson] are doping and trying to cheat, but on the face value the substance that apparently was found in their bodies (oxilofrine) can be taken legally when they are not competing, but no one has taken the time to explain that and give perspective. Instead, everyone just assumes that they are cheating without the facts."
- JAAA President Warren Blake Says It Doesn't Matter How Many Drug Tests JADCO Does Since Jamaican Athletes Are Still Among The Most Tested In The World
- Researchers At The University Of British Columbia Develop New DNA Test To Catch Blood Dopers However, the test seems to have a lot of limitations and will probably not be used.
- Good 14-Minute Highlight Video From Usain Bolt's BBC Radio 5 Live Interview Bolt said straight out that Yohan Blake wasn't even in his league back in 2011 when Bolt false started in Daegu and Blake was World Champ. He also talks about this year's doping issues and the lack of testing done by JADCO.
- World HJ Champ Bohdan Bondarenko Reflects On His Breakthrough Season "My life has changed. I now feel that more attention is given to me."
- World 400 Champion Christine Ohuruogu Visiting Every School In The London Borough Of Newham (About 100 Schools) Inspiring Kids To Play Sports
Pro / HS XC News
- Alexa Efraimson Reinstated On Appeal After Initially Being Declared Ineligible For High School Competition She was originally declared ineligible for running the Bill Dellinger Invitational, where she raced unattached and won the race against an elite collegiate field. This broke a state rule saying high schoolers can't compete "against a college team" but the decision was overturned on appeal.
- Website Launched For 2014 US XC Champs In Boulder
RIP: Dog Who Recently Bandited A Half Marathon Dies Of A Heart Attack The dog got free from his owners and ran the half marathon in 2:15, even receiving a finisher's medal.
Study Finds That Only 12.2% Of Women 50 And Older Are Happy With Their Body Size Those that are happy are highly active.
Kenyan Marathoning News
- After Becoming The Fastest Loser In History At 2:03:52, Emmanuel Mutai Says He's Sick Of Being The "Eternal Bridesmaid" He has the extraordinary record of finishing second at major marathons on seven separate occasions in five years.
- After His 2:03:45 In Chicago, Dennis Kimetto Says He Wants To Go After The WR Next Year In Berlin He'll run Boston in the spring and then Berlin next fall.
- Autopsy Reveals Kenyan Marathoner Died Of "Pulmonary Failure Due To Hemorrhagic Congestion"
- Athletics Kenya Making All Kenyan Runners Register With Their Local AK Branch Or They Won't Be Allowed To Run In Any Event
- UK: Reading Half Marathon On March 2nd Will Act As UK Official Trial Race For 2014 World Half Marathon Champs
Trailer For New Documentary On Steve Prefontaine Called "Pre's People" The documentary is the first to center around Pre's life in his hometown, Coos Bay, Oregon and is shown "through the eyes of his fans."
*RW Interview With Executive Producers Travis Johnson And Brad Jenkins