Elites In The News
Column: 3 Years Ago, Ryan Gregon And Andrew Wheating Seemed To Be The Future Of Middle Distance - What Happened?
Ezekiel Kemboi To Retire After 2016 Games We guess this means he's not moving up to the marathon?
Former Olympic And World 400H Champ Melaine Walker To Be Inducted In Texas Athletic Hall Of Fame
Speaking Of Elites, Do Elites Matter?
- Toni Reavis: The Slowing Down And Dumbing Down Of American Running Culture Nowadays, even Boston qualifiers have no connection to the elites.
Agent Brendan Reilley: "I think we've had too many years of the John Bingham (Waddle On, Penguins) philosophy. John is a nice guy, a very entertaining and eloquent speaker, but there seems to be little in the sport these days to carry the runners that John has gotten off the couch to the next level of aiming to run faster and treat our events like RACES."
*Bingham Responds In Comments Section: "I guarantee that the first 'elite' to show even a LITTLE interest in the rest of the pack will become a hero overnight."
MB: How to justify competitive running at the amateur/hobbyjogger level?
- More Toni Reavis: Races Need To Stop Hiring "Fast People With No Entertainment Value"
- The "Big 5" Think So: PRRO Offering New $24,000 "Bump Up" Bonus For Next Season A runner who wins Peachtree plus one of the following four races (while being top 3 in the other 3) - World's Best, Bloomsday, Boilermaker, Cherry Blossom - will win a $24,000 bonus.
- Seems Like Elite Athlete Support To Us; Maybe They Need A New PR Person Rock 'N' Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Paid For Travel For 16 Athletes, Hotels For 14 More And Comped 90 Entries And Paid Prize Money
More From The Weekend
- Jesse Squire's College XC Weekend Wrap-Up
- USTFCCCA Regional Team XC Rankings : No Changes At The Top After The First True Weekend Of XC
- USTFCCCA Athletes Of The Week: Eastern Kentucky Wins Male Award For Winning Kentucky Bluegrass Invy Over Runners From #1-Ranked Oklahoma State Kentucky's Cally Macumber won the women's award for winning the 5K by 26 seconds at the same meet.
- IAAF Recap: Eritrea's 2012 World Mountain Running Champion Pedro Mamo Wins WMRA Grand Prix After Taking Last Race In Austria
Sunday - Stanley Biwott Wins RNR Philly Half
- Stanley Biwott Repeats At Rock 'N' Roll Philadelphia With The Fastest Half Marathon In The US This Year (On Record-Eligible Course) With 59:36 Cybrian Kotut was 2nd in 59:59 as Fernando Cabada was the top American in 8th (1:03:53). Ukraine's Lyudmyka Kovalenko won a close women's race in 1:08:59 over Konjit
Biruk (1:09:00). Susanna Sullivan was the top American (1:16:19) in 11th as Julie Culley was 2nd American one spot back (1:16:28).
Other Weekend Action:
- Philemon Limo Wins Mattoni Ústí Nad Labem Half Marathon In CR 1:00:38 In Close Race Over Abebe Negewo (1:00:40) Kenyan Josephine Chepkoech broke the women's CR, winning in 1:09:08.
- With Ashton Eaton Out With Injury, Canada's Damian Warner Wins Decastar Multi-Event Meet In Talence, France World heptathlon champ Hanna Melnychecnko won the women's meet and the overall IAAF Combined Events Challenge series. Moscow silver medallist Brianne Theisen-Eaton was third. Olympic pole vault champ Renaud Lavillenie failed in his attempt to get the 5.72m decathlon pole vault WR (the record is 5.76m and he cleared 5.47m).
- Rabbit For The 2013 Berlin Marathon Bernard Kitur Wins Ndakaini Half Marathon In 1:04:47 In Sprint Finish Over Leonard Koech (1:04:48) Sarah Chepchirchir won the women's race in 1:14:45.
- Elroy Gelant Is South African Double XC Champion As He Won Both The 4k And 12k Titles Over The Weekend
- Recap Of Day 2 Of Sainsbury's School Games In UK - Lots Of Records Fall
Other Pro Track News
- Good Read: Lopez Lomong Talks About His Childhood Story As One Of The Lost Boys Of Sudan
- Suspended Jamaican 400 Runner Dominique Blake Loses Her Appeal To Have Her 6-Year Ban For A Second Doping Violation Overturned She's still debating taking her case to the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS).
- Usain Bolt Talks About Home Life In Jamaica Away From Track And About His Future "Dream House" For When He Retires He said his dream house will have a basketball court, inside and outside pool, soccer field with lights, and dirt bike course, but no track.
- Good Question: What Will Happen To Professional Track And Field When Bolt Retires? Writer states the obvious when he says it will be hard to fill his shoes with regards to level of performances and entertainment.
- Kenyan Government Calls For Meeting With Athletics Kenya
- 2013 European 60m Champ Tezdzhan Naimova Banned For Life For 2nd Doping Offense
- New IOC President Receives Warm Welcome At New Office
- *Germany's Thomas Bach Has Moved Into His New Office As IOC Head
- New Australian Prime Minister Promotes Sport To Cabinet Level Responsibility For Health Minister
- 14 Affiliiates Walk Out Of Athletics Kenya Reconciliation Meeting
- Sports, Arts And Culture Cabinet Secretary In Kenya Tells Warring Factions In Athletics Kenya To Settle Their Differences
- Fraser-Pryce's Pocket Rocket Foundation Hands Out Seven Scholarships To Student Athletes
*SFP's Scholarships Were More Than $980 Each
Action We Missed
- 113 Days After Giving Birth, 2008 And 2012 Olympic Javelin Champ Barbora Spotakova Is Competing Well We're more impressed that she won the Olympics in August and had a baby in May.
- From Last Weekend: Dylan Wykes And Lioudmila Kortchaguina Won $1,800 For Running 29:42 And 33:57 Last Weekend
- 5 Days Ago On Our World-Famous Message Boards: Shannon Rowbury to OREGON PROJECT!
- Want To Be A World Champion? The Telegraph Shares What They Believe Are The "9 Key Elements" Of Mo Farah's Running Form That Make Him So Fast Results came from biomechanics experts from the University of Oxford and look at everything from foot strike to arm position.
- Video: How To Run Like Mo Farah Dr. Jessica Leitch cautions though that, "There is no right way to run, neither is there a one size fits all solution for optimal running gait. What works for Mo might not work for everyone and may even lead to injury."
- David Rudisha's Coach Colm O'Connell Talks About Doping: "Of course they're always the, I use the word 'mediocre,' ones who use to try and get the extra edge." No, we're pretty sure even many of the top guys are looking for "an edge."
- Quadruple The Fun: UK's Triathlon World Champ Non Stanford Thinking About Doubling Triathlon-10,000 At 2014 Commonwealth Games She ran a 32:39 10k in March, which is under the Commonwealth Games "A" standard, but the qualifying window didn't open until April.
- Future Pro? DyeStat Article On High School Junior Alana Hadley, Who Is Passing On Her XC Season To Focus On Making The Olympic Trials Marathon For 2016 She's running 100-110 miles/week and will be going for the 2:43 "B" standard at the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon on Nov. 2. The youngest
everMarathon OT competitor in 2012 was 22.
Random But Interesting
- DeadSpin: Man Who Was Evicted For 1964 Tokyo Olympics To Be Evicted Again For 2020 Olympics He is being evicted, as his apartment complex is being demolished for the Olympic stadium. The same thing happened to him back in 1964. Hard to blame him when he says, "I have a kind of grudge against the Olympics."
- How Many Times Have You Heard The Old "I Couldn't Drive As Far As You Run"? Well, If Someone Said That To You In Moscow, They Might Be Right Data shows that on a Friday night, sub-3 hour marathoners could outrun traffic in Moscow, as drivers would need more than 3 hours to cover the 26.2 mile route.
- The Bahamas To Spend $3.5 Million To Host The IAAF World Relays In 2014 And 2015 If you haven't heard previously, the relay races will include the 4 x 100m, 4 x 200m, 4 x 400m, 4 x 800m and 4 x 1,500m ... no DMR.
- Interesting: A Pictorial History Of adidas Shoes
Sunday - Great North Run *Starts Lists And Course Map *LRC Vault: Last Year's Race
- LRC Kenenisa Bekele Holds Off Mo Farah In One Of The Most Thrilling Road Races In History Bekele is back!!! In
one the great moves in road racing history, he faked getting dropped in the first 10k so Farah and Geb would increase the pace and then came back and slammed it home from a mile out, somehow holding off Farah, who closed in 58-flat!!!
- LRC Priscah Jeptoo Uses Mid-Race 4:34 Mile And 30:03 10k To Show She's Queen Of The Roads And Defeats Defar And Dibaba Defar and Dibaba monoplized the pre-race publicity, but the London Marathon champ was truly phenomenal during the second half in this one and nearly got the Worlds Best time.
- IAAF Recap: Jeptoo Almost Beats Radcliffe's Record - Beats Defar And Dibaba
- Bekele's Manager Jos Hermens Says He Could Make His Marathon Debut Next Year In London Against Mo Farah Hermens: "We'll be doing everything to try to get the race on in London. In London, if he is fit, he could break the world record in his first marathon. That's how talented he is."
It's Official: Shannon Rowbury To Be Coached By Alberto Salazar Her previous coach John Cook is retiring, so Rowbury will move to coach Salazar. LRCers might have already known this.
Your Votes Are In
LRC Oklahoma State A Heavy #1 On Men's Side, Duke And Providence Up Top On Women's The LRC faithful have weighed in
via the LRC Super Fan XC Polls and Dave Smith's Oklahoma State Cowboys are heavy favorites for the NCAA crown with little separating NAU and Colorado in second and third. On the women's side, Duke is #1, with Providence actually getting more first place votes, with Oregon at #3. Regional and national poll results.
LRC Archives: *Re-Live NCAA XCs 2012 *NCAA 2012 XC Photo Gallery
Sad News: Devastating Flooding In Boulder
- Mike Sandrock Shares His Observations After A Run Through Flood-Devastated Boulder Where Many Have Lost Homes And Popular Running Trails Have Been Was Washed Away Sandrock did his run with 1989/1990 Foot Locker Champ and former NCAA champion Melody Fairchild and ran into Mark Wetmore along the way, who had to walk to town and back in order to coach.
- Good Read: Melody Fairchild Blogs About Her Emotional Run Through Boulder Trails To See If The Childhood Home She Grew Up In Was Still Standing In The Wake Of The Floods "Today, as I ran against the force of the water, I felt so small, and my long run to see the results of Mother Nature's power made me bow down to her in reverence, and with complete surrender. ... I went as far as I could safely go and then started climbing."
- NYC All Over Again: Boulder Marathon (Scheduled For This Sunday) Postponed Due To Extreme Flooding The flooding has caused 6 deaths and one thousand remain unaccounted for.
- Jason Hartman Tweets About Training In Boulder Flooding www.nyrr.org "Crazy doing a tempo and having national guard helicopters flying over you while doing it. #ingnycm"
First Full Week In September = NCAA XC Begins In Earnest - *All College XC Results For This Weekend
*MB: Abbey D wins 2013 Opener at Dartmouth Invitational by 51 seconds - Sam Chelanga wins men's race
*BYU Men Beat Portland 25 To 33 In Utah Cross-Country Meet
*Reigning NCAA Champ Kennedy Kithuka Wins By More Than A Minute
*#10 Cornell Women Take Top 15 Spots In Rout
*MB: Harvard Sweeps Yale 1-2-3-4-5 in 100th meeting between two, H Women dominate as well All time, it's now H 60, Y 40.
*MB: Question about #7 Wisconsin @ Indiana State dual meet Saturday
Inspiring Read: Vanderbilt Coach Steve Keith Is Fighting For His Life Against Cancer
*Bad News: Megan Goethals Out For The Year With Femoral Stress Fracture
*100th Harvard-Yale XC Clash Is This Weekend Harvard leads 59 to 40.
*5 Minutes With #2 Duke Coach Kevin Jermyn