Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |
Dr-Facts
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/21/2012 4:51PM - in reply to bannedforstupidity Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Canrenone is a masking agent that are compounds that are taken with the purpose of hiding or "masking" the presence of specific illegal drugs that are screened for doping testing. Masking agents have the potential to impair or conceal the banned substance in the urine. Diuretics can be regarded as "masking" agents due to the dilution of the urine, which results in lower levels of the banned substance being excreted from the body.
webby
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/21/2012 5:08PM - in reply to Dr-Facts Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Based on her public speaking, I believe that she could do something stupid by accident. But I suppose her projected image could be a masking agent, too.
Bearded Clam
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/21/2012 5:18PM - in reply to WFrunnru Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

WFrunnru wrote:

You never ran at a high level because its not hard at all to get a perscription. I'm sorry to kill your dreams, but she dopes.


One more time: I'm not arguing that she didn't have a prescription. She did. I'm also not claiming that such prescriptions are not easy to get. Of course they are. I was just calling into question "I see stupid people's" bizarre reasoning, i.e., that it was somehow significant that Vessey was prepared to produce a prescription for a prescription-only drug.

As for killing my dreams, spare me, I'm not a Vessey fan. This just seems like an instance where it's more than plausible that a "caught" athlete didn't knowingly do anything wrong. Did you not read the part of the USADA press release where it explained that her urine levels of the drug were therapeutic, meaning almost certainly not sufficient to mask the presence of any no-nos?
I see stupid people
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/21/2012 5:36PM - in reply to Bearded Clam Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I ' l l s p e a k s l o w e r j u s t f o r y o u

She created her own alibi prior to testing positive, thought it was obvious. I bet you own a gun.
justthefacts
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/21/2012 5:48PM - in reply to Bearded Clam Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Bearded Clam wrote:


WFrunnru wrote:

You never ran at a high level because its not hard at all to get a perscription. I'm sorry to kill your dreams, but she dopes.


One more time: I'm not arguing that she didn't have a prescription. She did. I'm also not claiming that such prescriptions are not easy to get. Of course they are. I was just calling into question "I see stupid people's" bizarre reasoning, i.e., that it was somehow significant that Vessey was prepared to produce a prescription for a prescription-only drug.

As for killing my dreams, spare me, I'm not a Vessey fan. This just seems like an instance where it's more than plausible that a "caught" athlete didn't knowingly do anything wrong. Did you not read the part of the USADA press release where it explained that her urine levels of the drug were therapeutic, meaning almost certainly not sufficient to mask the presence of any no-nos?


Yes, and some bike guy never failed a test, either....
real old guy
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/21/2012 5:56PM - in reply to The Animal Within Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
"The American 800m star was taking a prescription medicine that had a banned substance. She won't have to serve a suspension of any kind."

USADA has investigated this thoroughly and a warning is their response. Let it go haters. They have.
Bearded Clam
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/21/2012 6:02PM - in reply to I see stupid people Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

I see stupid people wrote:

I ' l l s p e a k s l o w e r j u s t f o r y o u

She created her own alibi prior to testing positive, thought it was obvious. I bet you own a gun.


So, let me get this straight. She get a prescription for the medication that ultimately led to her positive. As a result of taking this medication, she tested positive, but before doing so she made sure she had a prescription so she'd have an excuse for testing positive.

Do you know what a tautology is?

And I'm sure you have no problem speaking very slowly.
Bearded Clam
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/21/2012 6:04PM - in reply to justthefacts Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

justthefacts wrote:

Yes, and some bike guy never failed a test, either....


Yeah, good point. The similarities between Vessey's circumstances and Armstrong's are startling. Except for the fact that there are none, that is.
vghojbnjk
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/21/2012 6:28PM - in reply to +ve test Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You know, Selsouli tested positive for a diuretic as well...
justthefacts
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/21/2012 6:29PM - in reply to Bearded Clam Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Bearded Clam wrote:


justthefacts wrote:

Yes, and some bike guy never failed a test, either....


Yeah, good point. The similarities between Vessey's circumstances and Armstrong's are startling. Except for the fact that there are none, that is.


Yea, but for how long did guys on here vouch for his clean living? Same old same old.

It's no different if you ask any inmate in jail if he was guilty or innocent. 100% will tell you innocent. "We were framed".
electromagnetic force
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/21/2012 6:31PM - in reply to Bearded Clam Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Solo's results made pretty big news. If she was on the same substance you'd think Vessey, or her coach, or manager may have noticed it.
Ho Hum
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/21/2012 6:33PM - in reply to justthefacts Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
How does getting a TUE for this diuretic change the likelihood of someone being a doper? I mean, if I were going to use it as a masking agent I'd get a prescription and a TUE anyway. You'd have to be an idiot to use a banned diuretic to mask steroids, wouldn't you?
kdkdk
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/21/2012 6:37PM - in reply to justthefacts Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

justthefacts wrote:


It's no different if you ask any inmate in jail if he was guilty or innocent. 100% will tell you innocent. "We were framed".



That is not true at all. Where do you people get this stuff?
Bearded Clam
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/21/2012 6:42PM - in reply to Ho Hum Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Ho Hum wrote:

How does getting a TUE for this diuretic change the likelihood of someone being a doper? I mean, if I were going to use it as a masking agent I'd get a prescription and a TUE anyway. You'd have to be an idiot to use a banned diuretic to mask steroids, wouldn't you?


True, but I suppose it's worth looking at the likelihood of someone having a given condition. Since about 98.96% of premenopausal women experience PMS at some point, I can more easily believe that a distance runner would take spironolactone for this condition than I can believe that half of American sprinters have narcolopsy and require modafinil as a result.
slingshot owner
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/21/2012 6:56PM - in reply to I see stupid people Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

I see stupid people wrote:

I ' l l s p e a k s l o w e r j u s t f o r y o u

She created her own alibi prior to testing positive, thought it was obvious. I bet you own a gun.


Why do you speaks lower?
A Duck
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/21/2012 7:11PM - in reply to real old guy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

real old guy wrote:

"The American 800m star was taking a prescription medicine that had a banned substance. She won't have to serve a suspension of any kind."

USADA has investigated this thoroughly and a warning is their response. Let it go haters. They have.


Exactly...and it is not like USADA/WADA are not well aware of this drug...and the levels required to be considered a masking agent...and since she did not have them at that level...ergo warning.

And it is also believable that she is a ditz enough to miss this one.
I see stupid people
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/21/2012 7:13PM - in reply to Bearded Clam Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I get it, you'd take the steroid positive.
Bearded Clam
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/21/2012 7:20PM - in reply to A Duck Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

A Duck wrote:

it is not like USADA/WADA are not well aware of this drug...and the levels required to be considered a masking agent


Exactly. Please tell "I see stupid people" the same thing, even though I've done so multiple times. And tell him to quit staring into the mirror.
dmb
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/21/2012 7:25PM - in reply to Bearded Clam Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
"Once informed of this fact, I immediately cooperated with USADA and shared with them everything they needed to properly conclude that I made an honest mistake, and that the medication did not enhance my performance in any way," - Solo

As soon as I was notified of my positive test, I cooperated with USADA and provided them everything they asked for in order to demonstrate that I made an honest mistake, and that the medication did not enhance my performance in any way. - Vessey

Did anyone else notice the similarities between their statements?
Nappy Roots
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/21/2012 7:41PM - in reply to dmb Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The question is this: will she now be referred to as "drug cheat Maggie Vessey" every time she is mentioned on this site like others or will she be given a pass with implications of a simple, honest mistake undeniably linked with mental health issues?
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |