Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |
wejo
co-founder
Interview With Abdi After Race He Had No Idea Fagan Had Tested Positive 1/14/2012 1:43PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I spoke to Abdi after the race and asked him about Martin Fagan who he trained with reportedly testing positive for EPO.

Abdi had NO IDEA Fagan had tested positive until I informed him. You can watch the interview here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yENJpVZNlgk

Since drug questions are avoided like the plague I said to Abdi before I started taping, "I just want you to know I'm going to ask you about Martin Fagan."

He said something along the lines of "sure no problem." He had no clue Fagan had tested positive until I explained it in the interview.

Abdi said that Fagan was training with him and then it sounds like basically disappeared and Abdi never heard from him again. It seems in retrospect that is when Fagan learned he had tested positive.

It's the 4th straight Olympic team for Abdi which is something Meb can't even say.
haha OY
RE: Interview With Abdi After Race He Had No Idea Fagan Had Tested Positive 1/14/2012 1:51PM - in reply to wejo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Good interview, thanks. Hopefully he can get tested and we can find out if anything fishy is going on
redux
RE: Interview With Abdi After Race He Had No Idea Fagan Had Tested Positive 1/14/2012 1:58PM - in reply to haha OY Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You guys loooooove these "gotcha" moments.
coach d
RE: Interview With Abdi After Race He Had No Idea Fagan Had Tested Positive 1/14/2012 2:02PM - in reply to wejo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Fagan's positive is probably just as much connected to Abdi as Mulling's (Tyson Gay's former training partner) is connected to Tyson.
Bad news betty
RE: Interview With Abdi After Race He Had No Idea Fagan Had Tested Positive 1/14/2012 3:22PM - in reply to wejo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Not sure if it appears this way to anyone else, but he looks like he is lying, and I would not be surprised at all if he ends up dirty. Just up an left in the middleof a run and never heard from him again? Yeah you run too fast I'm gonna leave now. Sorry. This looks filthy.
dean moriarty
RE: Interview With Abdi After Race He Had No Idea Fagan Had Tested Positive 1/14/2012 3:24PM - in reply to wejo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
One of the weirdest post-race videos of all time!
Raptured
RE: Interview With Abdi After Race He Had No Idea Fagan Had Tested Positive 1/14/2012 3:26PM - in reply to dean moriarty Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Sorry, brojos, but this interview sucks. How about you focus on Abdi rather than a cheater?
blaznbison24
RE: Interview With Abdi After Race He Had No Idea Fagan Had Tested Positive 1/14/2012 3:42PM - in reply to haha OY Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

haha OY wrote:

Good interview, thanks. Hopefully he can get tested and we can find out if anything fishy is going on

Out of competition testing is pretty much the only way. Even though it'd have no benefit the next day, someone could take a small dose before bed and pee clean by the time they wake up.
Nutella1
RE: Interview With Abdi After Race He Had No Idea Fagan Had Tested Positive 1/14/2012 3:53PM - in reply to wejo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Awful camera work. Just plain awful.
Factt
RE: Interview With Abdi After Race He Had No Idea Fagan Had Tested Positive 1/14/2012 3:53PM - in reply to blaznbison24 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The look on his face looked to be one of genuine surprise when you told him.
Azaleas
RE: Interview With Abdi After Race He Had No Idea Fagan Had Tested Positive 1/14/2012 3:59PM - in reply to Bad news betty Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Bad news betty wrote:

Not sure if it appears this way to anyone else, but he looks like he is lying, and I would not be surprised at all if he ends up dirty. Just up an left in the middleof a run and never heard from him again? Yeah you run too fast I'm gonna leave now. Sorry. This looks filthy.

Irish Federation/WADA/whoever contacts Fagan, tells him he tested positive. He disappears. Makes sense to me.
tesfayr
RE: Interview With Abdi After Race He Had No Idea Fagan Had Tested Positive 1/14/2012 4:00PM - in reply to blaznbison24 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I know sisay was tested out of competition in flag. A bunch of folks were tested including probably Fagan
wejo
co-founder
RE: Interview With Abdi After Race He Had No Idea Fagan Had Tested Positive 1/14/2012 4:08PM - in reply to redux Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

redux wrote:

It wasn't a gotcha moment. It's called asking a question that has to be asked. As a couresy since no one in our sport even asks these questions I even told Abdi before hand, "I'm going to ask you about Martin Fagan" so as not to surprise him.

If our sport was treated like a major sport this question would have been asked in the main press conference. Can you imagine say if Lance Armstrong had been training with a guy and that guy tested positive? The question would be asked and no one would think about it.

Personally, I thought Abdi answered perfectly honestly and knew nothing about Fagan's positive. But I'm glad I asked the question.Its what a lot of people on here wanted to know. When I wake up and at 7am hot on the boards is "Martin Fagan tests positive" people are going to want to know what people training with him knew about it.

You are free to draw your own questions.

Yes the camera work was terrible. I use the video camera as a voice recorder. They made me keep walking and the viewfinder on the back was busted as I had dropped the camera. I figured attempting to do video was better than nothing and at least you see Abdi's reaction.
Silas Marner
RE: Interview With Abdi After Race He Had No Idea Fagan Had Tested Positive 1/14/2012 4:12PM - in reply to haha OY Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

haha OY wrote:

This is some amazingly racist sh*t.

Fagan tests postive and it's all poor Martin, such a good guy.

Abid ran with the guy and so it assumed he is guilty and no sympathy is given.
Wow Unbelievable
RE: Interview With Abdi After Race He Had No Idea Fagan Had Tested Positive 1/14/2012 4:14PM - in reply to wejo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This is an Irish story. Fagan goes down just like Lombard did. I'm not suspicious of Abdi.
asfsafsafd
RE: Interview With Abdi After Race He Had No Idea Fagan Had Tested Positive 1/14/2012 4:18PM - in reply to Wow Unbelievable Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
oh come on, the brojos love "gotcha" moments. Telling runners they've been DQd in post-race interviews. Asking about their training partners busted for doping instead of the race itself.
wavecave
RE: Interview With Abdi After Race He Had No Idea Fagan Had Tested Positive 1/14/2012 5:07PM - in reply to asfsafsafd Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
it goes along with keith saying Fagan is depressed. Abdi basically said he was not in a good place when he was staying with him...
Anonymu77
RE: Interview With Abdi After Race He Had No Idea Fagan Had Tested Positive 1/14/2012 5:11PM - in reply to wavecave Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If you associate with dirty EPO users, you get branded as dirty, period. If the guy lived at his house then I am skeptical that he didn't know.
Canada Coach
RE: Interview With Abdi After Race He Had No Idea Fagan Had Tested Positive 1/14/2012 5:23PM - in reply to wejo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

wejo wrote:

redux wrote:

It wasn't a gotcha moment. It's called asking a question that has to be asked. As a couresy since no one in our sport even asks these questions I even told Abdi before hand, "I'm going to ask you about Martin Fagan" so as not to surprise him.

If our sport was treated like a major sport this question would have been asked in the main press conference. Can you imagine say if Lance Armstrong had been training with a guy and that guy tested positive? The question would be asked and no one would think about it.

Personally, I thought Abdi answered perfectly honestly and knew nothing about Fagan's positive. But I'm glad I asked the question.Its what a lot of people on here wanted to know. When I wake up and at 7am hot on the boards is "Martin Fagan tests positive" people are going to want to know what people training with him knew about it.

You are free to draw your own questions.

Yes the camera work was terrible. I use the video camera as a voice recorder. They made me keep walking and the viewfinder on the back was busted as I had dropped the camera. I figured attempting to do video was better than nothing and at least you see Abdi's reaction.

Wejo, you are absolutely right. This question had to be asked as it was on everyone's mind. This is what a reporter is suppose to do, not just suck up to all the athletes as another majoe internet site always does.
getting to the point
RE: Interview With Abdi After Race He Had No Idea Fagan Had Tested Positive 1/14/2012 5:33PM - in reply to wejo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Wejo, I applaud you for this interview because you did it in a respectful way (letting Abdi know you were going to ask the question before turning on the camera).

I ask you this: did he show any kind of body language that makes you think he's either telling the truth or is lying? Or did you feel any kind of vibe that "hey, I don't think Abdi is telling the truth"?
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |