Freshman Matt
Achilles Tendonitis and cold weather 9/17/2007 10:35PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
For the past three winters I've had Achilles tendinitis flare-ups once it starts to get cold, and it typically won't go away until it gets warm again. It started already today, I suspect I was getting a draft on the troublesome heel last night, with it dropping down into the low 40s last night and me leaving my window open. A few years back it went away entirely when I went to Southern California for a week in March, and didn't really return until the next winter. Just curious if anyone else has experience with this, and/ or remedies. Thanks.
Random Lurker Guy
RE: Achilles Tendonitis and cold weather 9/18/2007 8:05AM - in reply to Freshman Matt Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I've had the A/T (and occasional flareup).

My best advice to you would be to make sure you stretch your calves immediately after running. If it's cold outside and you're staying out there, obviously your muscles get colder quickly.

As soon as you finish running start doing all your calf stretches.
Dr.S
RE: Achilles Tendonitis and cold weather 9/18/2007 8:08AM - in reply to Freshman Matt Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
And you may want to warm them up a bit and do some light dynamic stretching before running as well.
Average_Joe
RE: Achilles Tendonitis and cold weather 9/18/2007 9:23AM - in reply to Freshman Matt Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Get a small cooler.
Fill it up with hot water.
Soak your legs in it for about 10 minutes before running.

Makes a world of difference starting off your run with all the blood already flowing through there.