New York, August 25, 2020 – New York Road Runners (NYRR), the world’s premier community running organization, today announced its professional athlete and notable runner lineup for the third-annual Virtual TCS New York City Marathon, taking place October 17 through November 1. The virtual race, powered by Strava, brings runners together from all over the world by having them participate in a race from their location of choice. During these challenging times, a roster of New York City Marathon legends, top professional athletes, notable personalities, and influencers will be rallying together and joining thousands of runners in the virtual marathon.
The Virtual TCS New York City Marathon will showcase an all-star group of professional runners from the past and present, including Olympic medalist and American marathon record-holder Deena Kastor; USA national champions Stephanie Bruce and Team New Balance athlete Emily Sisson; 17-time Paralympic medalist, five-time New York City Marathon champion, and NYRR Team for Kids Ambassador Tatyana McFadden; and Paralympian Daniel Romanchuk, the first American and youngest athlete ever to win the men’s wheelchair division at the TCS New York City Marathon.
Premier athletes from across the sports industry will also join the 26.2-mile virtual run including former New York Giants running back and NYRR Team for Kids Ambassador Tiki Barber. Another passionate NYRR Team for Kids ambassador that will participate is MTV Catfish producer and host Nev Schulman.
Olympic medalist and former New York City Marathon champion Meb Keflezighi will team up with tennis star and philanthropist James Blake; they will share the distance and each running a half marathon to support and raise funds for their respective charitable causes. Keflezighi will run for NYRR Team for Kids and Blake will run on behalf of the James Blake Foundation.
The dynamic list of headlining runners is rounded out by an additional duo, Amy Robach, co-host of ABC News and Good Morning America, running alongside with her husband, Andrew Shue, actor and television star of Melrose Place. Robach and Shue will split the miles and each run a half marathon.
“Virtual racing continues to redefine the runner experience by creating an innovative and safe way to participate during these challenging times while also providing an opportunity for runners from all over the world to stay connected through running,” said NYRR president and CEO Michael Capiraso. “We are excited to welcome an inspiring group of prominent runners to our third-annual Virtual TCS New York City Marathon.”
Capiraso will support NYRR Team For Kids and be among the thousands of runners participating in the virtual marathon, and will be joined by Surya Kant, Chairman of North America for Tata Consultancy Services, the marathon’s title sponsor, who will be running in his first-ever marathon.
Below is the full list of professional athletes and notable runners for this year’s virtual marathon:
- Tiki Barber – Former New York Giants running back, host of Tiki and Tierney
- James Blake – Former tennis star, running in support of the James Blake Foundation
- Stephanie Bruce – Two-time USA champion
- Deena Kastor – Olympic medalist, American marathon record-holder
- Meb Keflezighi – Olympic silver medalist, New York City Marathon champion, running in support of NYRR Team for Kids
- Tatyana McFadden – 17-time Paralympic medalist, five-time TCS New York City Marathon champion, NYRR Team for Kids Ambassador
- Amy Robach – ABC News, Good Morning America co-host
- Daniel Romanchuk -Two-time TCS New York City Marathon champion, first American and youngest TCS New York City Marathon champion in the men’s wheelchair division
- Nev Schulman – Host and producer of MTV’s Catfish, NYRR Team for Kids Ambassador
- Andrew Shue – Actor, star of Melrose Place
- Emily Sisson – Two-time USA champion
The NYRR Volvo Virtual Racing series launched together with Strava at the start of 2018. Since its inception, there have been more than 160,000 total finishers from 100 countries across 30 virtual races. For more information on the Virtual TCS New York City Marathon, please visit 2020 Virtual TCS New York City Marathon.
The 2020 TCS New York City Marathon in-person race, the largest marathon in the world, was originally scheduled to take place on November 1, but was canceled due to coronavirus-related health and safety concerns.