By Chris Lotsbom, @ChrisLotsbom
(c) 2014 Race Results Weekly, all rights reserved
December 10, 2014
HONOLULU — Before the doors opened at 10:00 this morning, a long line wound its way through the Hawaii Convention Center. Hundreds of athletes and their families anxiously awaited for the clock to strike ten, the time that the Honolulu Marathon Expo officially opened for the first of four days. Leading up to the 42nd annual Honolulu Marathon, the expo is a chance for athletes, families, and the general public to gather and celebrate the upcoming race.
As the fourth largest marathon in America, the Honolulu Marathon boasts one of the sport’s grandest expos, complete with activities for all ages and hundreds of vendors. The community is encouraged to come out and experience the Expo, getting a taste for what makes the Honolulu Marathon so special.
What can attendees of the Honolulu Marathon Expo expect? Here’s a list of seven reasons why the Expo is a can’t miss attraction on race weekend:
1) The Bib Number — More than 30,000 athletes have already registered for the Honolulu Marathon and Race Day Walk, all eager to toe the starting line on Sunday. But before they can meet on Ala Moana Boulevard, runners have to pick up their bib numbers. With number in hand, you are ready to rock on race day.
2) Running Gear — In 2014, Under Armour became the “Official Running Partner” of the Honolulu Marathon and Race Day Walk. Entering the Expo, one can’t miss the giant Under Armour arches guiding you to a wide selection of running apparel and gear. From jackets to shoes to super hero t-shirts, Under Armour’s got you covered to look great competing.
3) Strike a Pose — Venture through the expo and you’re sure to see dozens of athletes with their cameras out. Why? A picturesque photo backdrop of the Honolulu Marathon start line provides a chance to strike a pose and snap a memorable picture or two! Taking a selfie? Make sure to use the hashtag #HNLMarathon on Twitter or Instagram when sharing your best shots!
4) Virtual Event Bag — New this year to the Honolulu Marathon is the virtual event bag. All participants receive a virtual event bag when they enter the race, a digital gift bag that includes coupons and deals to various restaurants and products in the area. Many can be used at the Expo!
5) Legs Hurting? No problem! — On race week, runners are always worried about a tight hamstring, achy calf, or any small injury that may pop up on race morning. You’ve trained for months preparing to race, and no injury will get in your way. Various stretching and massage products are free to try at the expo, loosening up your legs for the big day!
6) Massages — Everybody likes a massage to relax and get ready for race day. Dozens of massage chairs are ready for you to sit in at the Expo. Make sure to take a few minutes, close your eyes, lift your feet and enjoy the moment!
7) Try Something New — From sports gels to sunglasses to jewelry and lots more, a plethora of cool new running products are available to try or purchase. Need to stock up on fuel for the Marathon? Not to worry — all kinds of energy gels and bars are available in various flavors!
8) Want To Race? You still can! — One way the Honolulu Marathon differentiates itself from other marathons is the fact that anyone can register for the race up until Marathon eve. Runners who have not yet signed up still can race by coming to the Marathon Expo and filling out a registration form. Entries are accepted at the Expo up until 5:00pm on Saturday, December 13.
The Honolulu Marathon Expo hours are as follows:
Wednesday, December 10 – 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Thursday, December 11 – 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Friday, December 12 – 9:00 AM – 7:00 PM
Saturday, December 13 – 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
For more information and a list of exhibitors, visit Honolulumarathon.org.