Coming Sunday (live online at 5:30 am ET): LRC Frankfurt Marathon Preview: 5 Sub 2:05:30 Guys and Moses Masai To Race, Meselech Melkamu Will Try To Defend as Gelete Burka Debuts
Interesting Pro News
Haile G's 3 Keys To Running Success: Discipline, Commitment And Hard Work And - Oh Yeah - Accepting Pain "Age is just a number. If you think you're old, if you tell to yourself you're old, if you're old mentally, then you're old automatically physically."
HS Rivals Evan Jager, Chris Derrick Are Enjoying Being Teammates Now And Currently Hanging Out In Illinois Jager: "There is still a little bit of a gap between me and the top guys."
Good Collis Birmingham Profile: Birmingham Just Loves To Run (And Race) He's raced at least once every month this year and has PRs from of 3:35 for 1,500 to 60:56 for 13.1.
More Pro News
Newly-Minted Canadian National Record Holder Lanni Marchant Is Not Done Yet In 2013, Will Do Chiba Ekiden After Chiba, she plans on returning to Kenya to train in the winter before focusing on 2014 Commonwealths.
5 Questions With Emily Infeld, Who No LOnger Is "Intimidated" By Longer Distance And No Longer Considers Herself A 1,500 Runner
Okay, Then How About We Stop Kenyans From Competing In The US/UK? Kenya's Sports Minister Says They Are Adopting New Ways To Stop Drug Cheats - Sports Minister Wonders Why Mo Farah Is Allowed To Train In The Country
UK Columnists Raves About Book About 1988 Olympic 100m Final: The Dirties Race In History
We Don't Believe The Hype: Press Tries To Claim Jamaican Athletes, Including Usain Bolt, Could Be Excluded From Olympics Due To Testing Policies In Jamaica
News From Africa
- The Beginning Of The End Of Kenya's Dominance? Tartan Track To Be Unveiled Soon In Iten
- 2005 World Steeple Champ Dorkus Inzikuru's Estranged Husband Has Died
Elite Distance News
- LRC 4-Time World Champ Vivian Cheruiyot Gives Birth To Baby Boy The question now becomes, when will the Kenyan 5,000 record holder return to competition?
- Cool Facebook Post By Meb: Meb Keflezighi's 26 Most Memorable Miles Number 25 on his list said, "2012 London Olympic Games, last mile after coming back from 20th place to 4th with 500m to go. Winning is not about first place, but giving it all you got on any given day. I sure did that day and had to use a wheel chair to get around the airport a few days later."
- New WR! British 10,000m Champion Andrew Lemoncello Breaks World Treadmill Half Marathon Record He ran 67:29, breaking the previous record of 68:50 set by US's Mike Wardian earlier this year. Lemoncello raised almost $30,000 for the National Down Syndrome Society (NDSS) after his daughter, Isla, was born with Down Syndrome in June.
- MB: Anthony Famiglietti sighting - He's back - wins Big South 5k in 13:57
- After A Rough Track Season, Amy Hastings Says She's In Good Shape Going Into Next Month's NYC Marathon She thinks she's in better shape than her previous couple of marathons and said, "I've had a couple of tempo runs that were better than I've ever done before. I've been pretty much stride for stride with Kim [Smith]."
- 61-Year-Old Doug Kurtis Gets His 200th Career Sub-3:00 Marathon With A 2:59:03 In Detroit Kurtis is a 5-time Olympic Trials qualifier and has 76 sub-2:20 marathons to his name.
- Aussie Steepler Genevieve LaCaze Returns To Training After Injury Includes video of her on alter-G treadmill.
- Kenya's Top Women Marathoners Think Teamwork Is The Key To Breaking Paula Radcliffe's Marathon WR London Marathon champ Priscah Jeptoo: "I believe it can be achievable if we take a joint approach to a particular race like the Berlin or London marathon."
- USATF Recap Of Masters XC Champs: Atlanta TC Takes NJ By Storm Kathryn Martin and Peter Magill had the top performances based on age-graded performances scoring tables.
IAAF Recap Of South America Junior Track Champs Ecuador's Angela Tenorio was a highlight winning the 100m in a wind-aided 11.24 and the 200m in 23.35.
The Week That Was - Weekly Recap
LRC Meet America's Two Super Frosh, Super Seniors, Jordan Hasay Versus Emily Infeld, Abbey D. And Kennedy K., Mick Byrne And More Last week, midterms were held for NCAA XC and we break it all down for you with praise for Mick Byrne, Ben Saarel, Sean McGorty and others. We start to think about who is going to win $500,000 in New York next week. Plus if you could coach one runner, Emily Infeld or Jordan Hasay, who would you choose?
Say It Ain't So
LRC Ryan Hall Pulls Out Of 2013 New York City Marathon It soon will be two-plus years since the fastest marathoner in US history has finished a 26.2 mile race.
MB: Ryan Hall has withdrawn from NYCM
- Might American-Born Cerake Geberkidane Be The US's Next Great Distance Runner? The fact that his father is Ethiopian and mother is Eritrean is ideal, as is the fact that he's been raised at altitude in CO.
- Best State Per Capita In HS XC: Utah Has 7 Of Top 30 Ranked Boys Teams
- World Triathlon Champ Tamara Gorman Is Ready For South Dakota State XC Meet She's looking for a college XC/track team that will let her still focus on the triathlon while running.
College News *New Rankings
- Sickness Hampering Duke Women's Cross-Ccountry - Causes #2-Ranked Pre-Season Team To Go To Unranked Duke coach Kevin Jermyn: "There have definitely been a lot of bumps along the way that I was prepared for, but I don't know if some of the younger kids were. Sometimes the path to something really good down the road with a motivated group can look a little different than they might script it."
- Tight 20-Second Pack Running Gave GTown Women Victory And #1 Ranking At Pre-Nats *New Rankings
- Abbey D'Agostino Isn't The Only Good Runner At Dartmouth - Mark Coogan's Big Green Team Is Near-Lock For NCAAs
- Feeling Sick And Thinking About Running? Be Sure To Keep It "Moderate" And Take A "Sports Drink" With You
- Older Athletes Need To Eat Fat
- Did You Know Flu Shots Result In Lower Risk Of Death In People With Heart Disease?
- WADA Chief John Fahey Furious At Jamaican Anti-Doping For Failing To Accommodate Their Audit Until Next Year Branding JADCO's position "farcical," Fahey said, "To suggest to WADA they're not ready to meet with us to talk about their problem until sometime next year is unsatisfactory, it's totally unacceptable to me and we shall act appropriately within an appropriate time frame."
- NY Times Cycling Article: USADA Exposed Lance Armstrong, But What About Others? In USADA's report, many witnesses were listed who said they doped with Armstrong; however, a year later none of those doping cyclists have been named nor have there been any punishments levied against them.
- NCAA Polls Are Out: Two New #1s As Colorado Men, Arizona Women Vault To #1
- Kennedy Kithuka And Emma Bates Are USTFCCCA Athletes Of The Week After Pre-Nats XC Wins Bates won a close race over Aisling Cuffe while Kithuka dominated his race by 33 seconds.
- Running Times Weekend Recap: Colorado Men And Georgetown Women Prevail At Pre-Nationals; NAU And Arizona Win Wisconsin Invitational
- Track Gossip: NFL Quarterback Colin Kaepernick Dating Arizona State Sprinter
- Texas Tech Shot Putter Ifeatu Okafor Named 2013 NCAA Woman Of The Year Okafor was an All-American and the Big 12 shot put champion in 2011.
BIZARRE/NOT YOUR EVERYDAY STORIES
- World Record? 6-Year-Old American Runs Half Marathon In 2:47 And Is Being Hyped As Youngest To Run A Half Marathon Her mom is very impressed but we are less so. All LetsRun.com regulars probably remember Budhia Singh, who ran 48 marathons by age 4.
- Marine Corps Marathon Bans Halloween Masks
- Reminder: Russia's "Controversial" Anti-Gay Law Passed Its House 436-0
- Californians Who Complained About Noise At San Francisco Marathon Got Sent To Sex Line
- America's Only Official TDFrance Official Winner Greg LeMond Says Lance Should Go To Jail He's got a point. A fraud worth more than $100 million is a pretty hefty crime.
- After Wheeling Himself Across The Entire Country, Wheelchair Racer Is Ready For 2013 ING New York City Marathon
News From The UK
- Column: British Writer Wants Marathon Man Mo Farah Kicked Off Govt. Funding For Skipping 2014 Commonwealths
- After Huge Breakthrough At 800 This Year (2:00.80), Scotland's Laura Muir Is Focused On 800/1,500 For 2013 She loves XC, though, and will be doing it this winter as she's also not bad at 5,000 (15:53).
- Dwain Chambers Avoids Action For Punching Wall After World Championships Sprint Relay Disqualification
Pro / HS XC News
- Alexa Efraimson Reinstated On Appeal After Initially Being Declared Ineligible For High School Competition She was originally declared ineligible for running the Bill Dellinger Invitational, where she raced unattached and won the race against an elite collegiate field. This broke a state rule saying high schoolers can't compete "against a college team" but the decision was overturned on appeal.
- Website Launched For 2014 US XC Champs In Boulder
RIP: Dog Who Recently Bandited A Half Marathon Dies Of A Heart Attack The dog got free from his owners and ran the half marathon in 2:15, even receiving a finisher's medal.
Study Finds That Only 12.2% Of Women 50 And Older Are Happy With Their Body Size Those that are happy are highly active.
Kenyan Marathoning News
- After Becoming The Fastest Loser In History At 2:03:52, Emmanuel Mutai Says He's Sick Of Being The "Eternal Bridesmaid" He has the extraordinary record of finishing second at major marathons on seven separate occasions in five years.