LRC Training Talk Article 1 - Is Your Training Repeatable?
In 2010 we at LetsRun.com hope to make a huge push to talking more about training.
Caster Semenya's Test Results Will Be Kept Secret, But IAAF Will Pay For A Surgery If She Wants It
Seems likely they're not going to allow Semenya to compete in female races unless she gets some sort of operation. The IAAF are willing to pay for the expense of a surgery.
Kiyoko Shimahara Returns To Honolulu Marathon As Favorite To Win Again Shimahara's 4th marathon of '09 doesn't mean her others have lacked quality. She ran 2:25 to win Hokkaido and 2:28 to beat Catherine Ndereba at Yokohama.
Japanese 27:41 10k'er Announces Intent To Race Marathon In February Yu Mitsuya ran 27:41 as a 20-year-old.
Marion Jones News All In One Place
Bad Girls - Nobody Gets The Gold
IOC Makes Gutsy Decision And Refuses To Award Gold Medal In 2000 Sydney Games 100m
This is the first time in Olympic history a gold medal will not be awarded in an event.
Outta The Clink - Marion Jones Making WNBA Attempt
Victor Conte Tells It Like It Is, Says Women Getting Marion Jones' Medals Were Likely To Have Been On Drugs
"Back in 2000, there was no independent anti-doping federation in place for several of the countries which have female athletes that will now receive medal upgrades... Back then, it was very easy to circumvent the drug testing procedures."
Victor Conte Talks With Track Journalist Duncan Mackay About Marion Jones Refusing To Come Clean Fellow Ex-Prisoner Victor Conte On Marion Jones: "Marion knowingly used drugs and I'm sure she knows it was a mistake. But, I believe Marion is continuing to make a mistake by not coming forward with the entire truth."
Tim Montgomery Talks Candidly About He and Marion's Marriage From His Prison
Another "Hard Luck" Story - Former Sydney 4x4 Gold Medalist Calvin Harrison
LRC The Week That Was Once again, we recap the action for you from across the globe, whether it's the high school nationals in Oregon of the Fukuoka Marathon in Japan. Along the way, we introduce you to a ten miler where 90 people broke 50 flat and give you the cure to stress fractures. And since we feel greatness comes in pairs, we talk about Usain Bolt & Tyson Gay, Alan Webb & Galen Rupp, Chris Derrick & Craig Virgin, Al Sharpton & Jesse Jackson, plus Marion Jones, Gina Procaccio, Jenny Barringer and others.
1. Gavyn Nero Heads To Baylor From Trinidad And Tobago - As A Middle Distance Runner
Nero ran 3:47 at the CARIFTA Games and since Georgetown's spots were filled, he headed to Baylor.
2. Rarity: An Interesting Sports Autobiography - Andre Agassi's "Open"
When this book came out, all the talk was about Agassi admitting he did crystal meth with his assistant named Slim during a dark part of his career. But Agassi, who does a 4-minute video interview at the link, and his co-author/ghostwriter J.R. Moehringer produced a legitimate, honest book that says a lot about what kind of insanity goes into creating the world's "best" athletes.
3. Recommended Read: Nobby Hashizume Writes About The History Of Fukuoka Marathon
4. Albuquerque HS XC Runner Gave Bone Marrow To His Ill Brother 12 Days Before NXN
With their 3rd man weakened after sharing bone marrow with his leukemia-stricken brother, Albuquerque finished 5th at NXN.
Brief Chat With Julia Lucas Lucas talks about moving to Mammoth and not enjoying it, moving to Portland and loving it, getting fed up with being obsessed with running and she does it all in less than 15,000 words!
The Day In Track and Field Isn't Complete Without ... Drug Cheats in the News!
- Drama: IOC Refuses To Give Marion Jones' Sydney Gold Medal To Greek Cheat Katerina Thanou In a comedic Olympic scenario, the IOC is trying to reallocate Marion Jones' medals to the rightful winners, but is having a tough time because those next in line were probably just as doped as Marion. A female Russian long jumper and Bahamian 200m runner (we're trying hard not to make a cynical remark here) will get two of the other drug-tainted medals.
- Victor Conte Talks With Track Journalist Duncan Mackay About Marion Jones Refusing To Come Clean Fellow Ex-Prisoner Victor Conte On Marion Jones: "Marion knowingly used drugs and I'm sure she knows it was a mistake. But, I believe Marion is continuing to make a mistake by not coming forward with the entire truth. Her message to kids called the 'Take a Break' programme advises them to think before they lie or cheat. I would like to see Marion follow her own advise and tell the entire truth about her past use of drugs."
- Dwain Chambers On His Comeback Year This guy was willing to tell the whole truth, take a ton of heat for it, and now he's back. He got 6th in the WC 100m final, by a long shot the fastest 100m race ever run.
Fukuoka Marathon - Tsegaye Kebede Negative Splits; Smashes Japanese Soil Record 2:05:18 - Will HE Be The Next WR Holder?
2009 Fukuoka Marathon Results
Tiny Tsegaye Kebede showed he knows the best way to run marathon records, hammering home a 29:14 from 30k-40k to lock up a 2nd-straight Fukuoka win and course record 2:05:18. Kebede's only 22 and his marathon PR is only 8 seconds away from Sammy Wanjiru's.
LetsRun.com Message Board Fukuoka Thread
Ethiopians Roll To Course Record, 1, 2, 4 Finish At Fukuoka
Tekeste Kebede finished 2nd in 2:07:52, while Ukranian Dmytro Baranovskyy became the first European under 2:09 in 2009 to get third.
LRC Boards: Fukuoka All-Time Top 20
JRN: Video Highlights and Recap of Kebede's Japan All-Comers Record
Today: Foot Locker Cross Country Championships
*Watch Live (coverage starts 11am Eastern)
Our Take: On the boys side the typically senior dominated race may come down to a rare battle between a junior in NXN champ Craig Lutz and sophomore '09 track sensation Lukas Verzbicas. After an amazing high school class in 2008 (German Fernandez, Chris Derrick, Luke Puskedra...), it looks like 2011 will be the next year of top-end talent as juniors went 1-5 at NXN. LRC Pick: Verzbicas over Lutz
*Craig Lutz Shooting To Be First To Win NXN And Foot Locker
*Lukas Verzbicas Profile Leading Up To Foot Locker Champs This Weekend That photo to the left comes from Verzbicas' freshman year in high school.
The girls race will bring 4 undefeated girls from 4 different regions together. Megan Goethals, Aisling Cuffe, Chelsea Sveinsson and Molly Grabill are the "Big-4". LetsRun.com voters like lightly-raced Sveinsson over course record smashing Cuffe (34%-30%) while Grabill is basically running on her home turf and Goethals is the top returner from 2008 AND is the only senior.
LRC Pick: '08 NXN Champ and 4:18 1500m runner Chelsea Sveinsson
Recommended Read: Feature On 2004 Foot Locker Champ Ken Cormier
Arizona's Ken Cormier became the surprise 2004 FL Finals champ before going to Arkansas and becoming an XC All-American. But somewhere, things didn't feel right and Cormier went home and decided to enlist in the Marines. After serving the US in Afghanistan, Cormier is back and talked to Dye Stat ESPN RISE writer Dave Devine, who wrote a great piece about the guy who went from 73rd in his FL region to the National Champion.
Sunday: European Cross-Country Championships
- IAAF Preview Of European Cross Country Championships on Sunday Ukraine's 34-year-old Sergey Lebid has made his career as an excellent cross-country runner. He has won 8 European titles and will contend with Britain's Mo Farah and host Ireland's Martin Fagan and Alistair Cragg.
- British Selection Procedure For Euros Getting Hammered By Some Last week an LRC reader emailed us and we wrote an article about why the British fiasco is proof the US system of "first across the line" is the fairest despite flaws.
- Mo Farah Article Leading In To European Cross Nobody's questioning this guy being on the GBR team as he's almost certainly going to be top-3 in the race.
- 3-Time Junior Champion Steph Twell Moves Up To Under-23 Race At Euros Twell ran 4:03 this summer and is a sort of British child prodigy who gets to bear all the pressure of expectations.
- New British Coach Dan Pfaff (Hired Away From USA) Urges Top Athletes To Avoid Injuries He cites a laundry list of top British athletes who have missed big events in the past few years and urges coaches to mix up the training.
New Result From Australia - Zatopek:10 - Australia Track 10,000m Champs
Collis Birmingham Takes Narrow Win at the Zatopek:10, Aussie 10,000m Champs 5 women finished between 32:19 and 32:29. Last year's Zatopek champ and NCAA star David McNeill suffered from a side stitch and faded during the last 2k as Birmingham ran 28:04 ftw.
Shalane Flanagan Will Run Half Marathon In Houston
After earning an Olympic Bronze and snagging every American record she can on the track, Shalane Flanagan has said she is looking for a new challenge. The first step comes January at the Houston Half.
*Brief Chat With Shalane Enlightens Us To Her Plans
LRC Must Read: The Power Of Positivity - Wesley Korir Feature In Louisville's Courier Journal
Korir's story is absolutely incredible. He finished 3rd in the Chicago Marathon in 2008 and then did the impossible by winning L.A. in 2:08, taking home $160,000 in the process. This story is about his life in Louisville working as a handyman fixing toilets and sinks and things and even has a picture of the new house he bought.
Top 4 Kenyans In St. Jude Memphis Marathon DQ'd But Still Paid After They Accidentally Chop 200m Off The Course
The prize money is pretty big in Memphis (5000, 3000, 2000) so the race ended up paying out 10 grand extra to make up for 200m mistake caused by misplaced traffic cones.
Victor Conte Tells It Like It Is, Says Women Getting Marion Jones' Medals Were Likely To Have Been On Drugs
"Back in 2000, there was no independent anti-doping federation in place for several of the countries which have female athletes that will now receive medal upgrades... Back then, it was very easy to circumvent the drug testing procedures." We're not saying every sprinter in 2000 was on drugs but WADA and the IOC did not have strong policies in place that affected every country back in 2000.
MORE: When We Cheat, Nobody Wins: International Olympic Committee Makes Gutsy Decision And Refuses To Award Gold Medal In 2000 Sydney Games 100m
This is the first time in Olympic history a gold medal will not be awarded in an event, as the tainted top-2 Marion Jones and Katerina Thanou and their greedy coaches, doctors and managers have attempted to make a mockery of sport in their careers.
Doctors Marvel At Liu Xiang's Comeback From Achilles Injury
Liu Xiang walked off the Olympic track in 2008 but has found his way back to top form in just over a year.
Marathoner Of The Year? Definitely Not By Name Recognition
Tsegaye Kebede Averaged 2:06 For Three Marathons Over 8 Months In 2009
Kebede - who ran 2:05:20 in London, 2:08 in Berlin and 2:05:18 in Fukuoka - has us thinking he might break the world record sooner than Sammy Wanjiru.
Don't Give Marion Jones' Medal To Another Drug Cheat
*Greek Sprinter Thanou May File Lawsuit Against IOC Over Marion Jones' Sydney Gold Medal
The IOC doesn't have hard evidence against Thanou but obviously there is something about her and her banned coach's approach to the Greek Olympic skipped test scandal that makes them refuse to give her the 2000 Sydney medal.
*Chris Galakoutis Argues That There Is No Evidence Against Thanou
LRC Boards: 6'6", 250lb Thrower Kicks XC Runners' @sses In Beer Mile Winning the end of the season beer mile, especially when you're a thrower, kind of offers legend status.
For History Buffs
1960 Olympic Decathlon Battle Between CK Yang And Rafer Johnson Is Brought Back To Life We thought this was a good read.
European Races From The Weekend
- '09 Cross-Country World Champion Gebre Gebremariam Is 4 For 4 In Europe XC This Year Vivian Cheruiyot continues her dominance of the women's ranks, while an undefeated Gebremariam is going to be hard to beat at World XC in Poland. Unless Kenenisa Bekele is back ...
- Wincanton 15k Recap/Results - Nicholas Manza Runs 42:38 Haile G's course record from this road race in The Netherlands is 42:36.