Team USA Named for 2012 IAAF World Half Marathon Championships
By LetsRun.com and USATF.org
September 19, 2012
USATF released the rosters for the 2012 World Half Marathon Championships today. The 21st IAAF World Half Marathon Championships will take place on October 6 in Kvarna, Bulgaria.
We list the team members for you in order of their hafl marathon PRs.
Team USA Women
- Shalane Flanagan (Portland, Ore) - 2008 Olympic 10,000m bronze medalist, American record-holder (10,000m, 3000m indoor, 5,000m indoor). 68:37 half pb.
- Adriana Pirtea Nelson (Fort Collins, Colo.)- 2nd place at the 2007 Chicago Marathon, 10th at the 2005 IAAF World Half Marathon Championships. 69:59 half pb.
- Maegan Krifchin (Dewitt, N.Y.) - 2012 USA Half Marathon Championships runner-up. 70:56 half pb.
- Michelle Frey (Minneapolis, Minn.) - 3rd at 2012 USA Half Marathon Championships 71:45 half pb.
- Alvina Begay (Flagstaff, Ariz.) - 5th at 2012 USA Half Marathon Championships. 72:25 half pb.
Team USA Men
- Luke Puskedra (Eugene, Ore.) - Runner-up at 2012 USA 20 km Championships. 61:36 half pb.
- Ed Moran (Williamsburg, Va.) - 2007 Pan-Am 5,000m Champion, Runner-up at 2010 USA 10,000m Championships. 62:51 half pb.
- Ian Burrell (Tucson, Ariz.) - 3rd at 2012 USA Half Marathon Championships. 62:51 half pb.
- Michael Eaton (Bowling Green, Ky.) - 4th at 2012 USA Half Marathon Championships. 63:00 half pb.
- Augustus Maiyo (Colorado Springs, Colo.) - 3rd at 2012 USA 20 km Championships. 64:24 half pb but ran 59:39 20k at New Haven (which is like a 63:05 half).
Men's and women's team scoring at the IAAF World Half Marathon Championships is based on the top-three finishers for each country. The country with the lowest aggregate score wins the team title.