Thursday's Rome Diamond League Top Events
June 9, 2010
The Rome Diamond League meet is Thursday, two days before the adidas Grand Prix Diamond League meet in New York City. With NCAAs and NYC getting most of the attention, we didn't want to ignore Rome. Here are our top-10 events.
- Maggie Vessey races at 800m against strong field including Janeth Jepkosgei, Hazel Clark and top Britons.
- Walter Dix will take on Wallace Spearmon in the 200m.
- Asafa Powell continues what has been a very strong season in the 100m (and makes a new sponsor announcement).
- Jeremy Wariner will face off with David Neville, Renny Quow and Christopher Brown over 400m - might be slower than Friday's NCAA final.
- Men's 1500 - Various top runners Kenya, Ethiopia, Algeria and Morocco to race - could be fast times as it's a very even field.
- Men's 5000 - Could be fast with Moses Kipsiro, Tariku Bekele, Eliud Kipchoge, Joseph Ebuya and many more fast Africans (it's an all-African field).
- Men's Long Jump - Australia's Fabrice Lapierre (8.78m wind-aided this year) will get another test against traditional favorites Irving Saladino and Dwight Phillips.
- Blanka Vlasic again faces new American record-holder Chaunte Lowe in the women's high jump.
- Kenyan Milcah Chemos Cheiywa looks to continue her rise in the steeplechase.
- The shot put is again loaded with the American and European stars.
More From Rome:
Asafa Powell Leaving Nike, Possibly For Chinese Company Nike reportedly cut Asafa Powell's annual guarantee from $750k down to $300k and word is Li Ning of China is stepping in to add the currently on-form Jamaican to their Thorkildsen and Isinbayeva stable of track stars.
*IAAF Chat: Powell Says Big Times and Big News Are Coming
Running Shoe Savings: Nike Lunar Glide 20% Off Super popular shoe from Nike featuring Flywire and Lunar Foam