Active, Runner's World Are Most Popular Running Information Websites
By David Monti
(c) 2010 Race Results Weekly, all rights reserved
Using the most recent web traffic rankings generated by the respected web information company Alexa, Active.com and RunnersWorld.com had the highest traffic ranks for the last three months. Out of the Alexa universe of millions of web sites, Active.com was ranked 6,531st globally (1,987th in the United States) and RunnersWorld.com was 10,418th (2,927th in the USA).
Admittedly, the comparison between Active and Runner's World on the web isn't completely consistent. Active's massive site, used primarily by citizen athletes to sign up for recreational sports and see the results of those events, also draws users from a diverse group of sports, including softball, soccer and triathlon. Since Alexa only ranks entire internet domains, and not individual web site sections, it is not possible to know the running-only traffic rank for Active.com RunnersWorld.com should be considered #1 for sites which only dispense running information.
Behind RunnersWorld.com, only six more running information sites made it into Alexa's top 50,000 for the last three months. The next is Competitor.com (23,172nd), which includes news, training advice, and event information, including all of the races in the popular Rock 'n' Roll racing series which are owned by the site's operator, Competitor Group, Inc. LetsRun.com (24,544th), the message-board driven site which covers mostly distance running, but also track and field, is #4. MapMyRun.com (26,747th), which allows users to find and map training routes and to record their training, is #5. CoolRunning.com (35,011st), MileSplit.us (36,230th) and IAAF.org (39,029) are the only other running information sites to make Alexa's top 50,000.
Runner's World UK, Runner's World magazine's British site, and the Fédération Française d'Athlétisme, the French athletics governing body site, round out the top-10 sites on the global list.
Within the United States, the same sites fill out the top-7 in traffic rankings as the global list, but three different sites come into the top-10: FloTrack.org (news, videos and community), USATF.org (the American governing body for track and field), and MarathonGuide.com (marathon event listings, results and community).
The web sites of running specialty retailers and shoe and apparel companies, which are primarily set up for the purpose of selling goods, were not considered in the analysis. Event organizer sites were included if the organizer put on multiple events throughout the year. Sites of one-day events were not included because their use is mostly seasonal. Track & field sites, including the sites of governing bodies, were included because they dispense a considerable amount running information. Alexa's rankings are updated constantly, and could show different results in the spring or summer when the track and field season is in full swing.
For the sake of comparison, the most popular sports information site in the world, according to Alexa, is ESPN.com. It ranks 60th in the global list and 17th in the United States.
TOP-20 RUNNING INFORMATION SITES FOR TRAFFIC (Alexa global traffic rankings):
1. Active.com, News, Event Sign-Up & Results, USA, 6,531
2. RunnersWorld.com, Running magazine, USA, 10,418
3. Competitor.com, News, Event Organizer, USA, 23,172
4. LetsRun.com, News & Message Board, USA, 24,544
5. MapMyRun.com, Running Route Mapping, USA, 26,747
6. CoolRunning.com, News, Event Listings & Results, USA, 35,011
7. milesplit.us, High School News, Events, Results & Stats, USA, 36,230
8. IAAF.org, Governing Body, MON, 39,029
9. RunnersWorld.co.uk, Running Magazine, GBR, 50,085
10. Athle.com, Governing Body, FRA, 63,103
11. Flotrack.org, News & Videos, USA, 68,669
12. MarathonGuide.com, News, Event Listings & Results, USA, 71,483
13. Athlinks.com, Social Networking & Results, USA, 75,725
14. DyeStat.com, News, High School Events, Results, Forums, USA, 76,820
15. USATF.org, Governing Body, USA, 81,127
16. TeamInTraining.org, Training Advice, Inspiration, USA, 102,669
17. HalHigdon.com, Training Programs, USA, 107,912
18. MikaTiming.de, Event Timing & Results, GER, 108,831
19. NYRR.org, Event Organizer, USA, 116,198
20. DataSport.com, Event Timing & Results, SUI, 131,288
TOP-20 RUNNING INFORMATION SITES FOR TRAFFIC (Alexa USA traffic rankings):
1. Active.com, News, Event Sign-Up & Results, USA, 1,987
2. RunnersWorld.com, Running magazine, USA, 2,927
3. Competitor.com, News, Event Organizer, USA, 3,390
4. LetsRun.com, News & Message Board, USA, 6,057
5. milesplit.us, News, Events, Results & Stats, USA, 8,714
6. MapMyRun.com, Running Route Mapping, USA, 9,087
7. CoolRunning.com, News, Event Listings & Results, USA, 10,418
8. Flotrack.org, Running News & Videos, USA, 17,095
9. USATF.org, Governing Body, USA, 17,640
10. MarathonGuide.com, News, Event Listings & Results, USA, 18,719
11. DyeStat.com, News, Events, Results, Forums, USA, 19,393
12. Athlinks.com, Social Networking & Results, USA, 23,101
13. HalHigdon.com, Training Programs, USA, 24,600
14. TeamInTraining.org, Training Advice, Inspiration, USA, 24,850
15. NYRR.org, Event Organizer, USA, 27,549
16. RunningAhead.com, Training Log, USA, 37,645
17. RunnerSpace.com, Social Networking & News, USA, 40,178
18. IAAF.org, Governing Body, MON, 42,242
19. RunningTimes.com, Running magazine, USA, 42,515
20. rrca.org, Governing Body, USA, 51,337