NSAF Indoor Nationals, Cross Country Coming to Ocean Breeze For First Time in 2021-2022
NYC PARKS’ OCEAN BREEZE ATHLETIC COMPLEX ANNOUNCES 2021-22 TRACK AND FIELD SCHEDULE
by NYC Parks
July 12, 2021
NYC Parks today announced the 2021-22 Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex Track & Field schedule, the 7th track and field season in the complex’s history. This year, the facility is expanding its schedule with the addition of its brand-new cross-country course located in Ocean Breeze Park.
“We’re proud to host a diverse schedule of events at Ocean Breeze. This year, we’re thrilled to present athletes with a brand new cross-country course that offers even more opportunities to train and compete at Ocean Breeze Park,” said NYC Parks’ Ocean Breeze Park Administrator Lauren Primerano. “We’re thrilled to keep momentum high following the successful 2021 New Balance Grand Prix, where eleven national records were set. Our strong partnerships with Global Athletics, USA Track & Field and NSAF allow us to bring the highest level of competition to Staten Island, and we look forward to welcoming athletes from New York City and beyond to run in Ocean Breeze Park this season.”
The 2021-22 Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex Cross Country schedule features youth and high school meets. Athletes will hit the trails of Ocean Breeze Park for the first time in competitive, elite-level meets including:
- September 4 – Ocean Breeze Youth Summer Opener
- September 25 – Xavier Knights High School Invitational
- October 3 – Ocean Breeze Youth Cross Country Invitational
- October 16 – NYC Cross Country Festival
- October 17 – Ocean Breeze Mid-Season Youth Cross Country Invitational
- October 23 – Ocean Breeze Edward J.J. Bowes Cross Country Invitational
The 2021-22 indoor track & field schedule starts in November and concludes in March with a wide variety of marquee track meets from the youth level to the elite level.
Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex welcomes the elite runners of the TCS New York City Marathon on Sunday, November 7, as they warmup at the athletic complex prior to hitting the streets of the five boroughs.
Following the success of the 2021 New Balance Grand Prix, the Global Grand Prix will be held at Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex on February 5th. The Global Grand Prix, which will be added to the World Athletic Series, includes the best track & field athletes from around the world competing at the highest level.
For the first time in its meet history, the National Scholastic Athletics Foundation (NSAF) Indoor Nationals are coming to Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex. The 2021-22 NSAF Indoor Nationals are set for March 10-13, 2022. The meet is expanding to four days for the first time, including a day devoted to Freshman and Middle School events, in addition to the usual Championship and Emerging Elite divisions.
The NSAF Select Ocean Breeze Elite High School Series spans over four dates. The series is comprised of four elite level high school meets designed with the athlete in mind:
- December 27 – Ocean Breeze Holiday Festival
- January 8 – Ocean Breeze Freedom Games
- January 29 & 30 – Ocean Breeze Invitational––since its inception, the Ocean Breeze Invitational has grown into one of the largest indoor meets in the country and is the largest one-day competition for girls in the United States.
- February 26 – Ocean Breeze Elite Invitational
The 2021-22 Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex track & field schedule showcases some of the best high school competition from New York and New Jersey, competing for their respective championships:
- December 18 & 19 – 67th Annual Bishop Loughlin Games—the oldest indoor meet in the United States.
- February 19 – CHSAA Intersectional Championships—Cardinal Hayes and St. Anthony’s won the 2020 CHSAA Boys & Girls Championships, respectively.
- March 5 – The New York State High School Championships (NYSPHSAA)—return to Ocean Breeze for the fourth consecutive year. Back at the 2020 event, new state records were set as well as top-times in the nation.
- March 6 – New Jersey Meet of Champions (MOC) returns to Ocean Breeze after debuting in 2020. In its first running of the MOC at Ocean Breeze, new meet and Ocean Breeze facility records were established.
Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex will host several collegiate events throughout the 2021-22 campaign, including:
- January 7 – Wagner College Invitational
- January 15 – University of Pennsylvania Ten Team Select
- January 22 – Villanova University Open
- January 28 – University at Albany Great Dane Invitational
- February 4 – Metropolitan Championships
- February 26-27 – Northeast Conference Championships
Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex holds several youth events where the best up-and-coming athletes have the chance to compete and showcase their talents, including:
- December 29 – Ocean Breeze Youth Holiday Festival
- January 9 – Ocean Breeze Youth Freedom Games
- January 23 – Ocean Breeze Youth Invitational
- February 20 – USATF New York Championships
- March 18, 19 & 20 – USATF Indoor National Youth Championships. The three-day meet, which closes out the season, features the best youth athletes from all over the country. The event has been held at Ocean Breeze since 2016.
In addition to these meets, Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex will host free community programs, including the popular Miles Mania Series. Miles Mania begins on Thursday, January 6 and runs every other Thursday, concluding with the Miles Mania Championship on Thursday, March 17.
Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex offers something for everyone! Click here for the full 2021-22 Ocean Breeze Indoor Track & Field Schedule.
NYC Parks’ Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex is a 135,000 square-foot, state-of-the-art indoor track and field facility in Staten Island. The first indoor facility in the United States to be recognized as a certified International Association of Athletics Federations facility, Ocean Breeze has hosted 18 major championships, including five National Championships since opening in 2015. The complex also serves as a community resource, offering recreational and athletic amenities to Staten Islanders.