AN ACTUAL D1 COACH wrote:
2 sub-4 milers transferring?
1. Legal contacting?
2. Scholarship available?
I don't know the circumstances behind these transfers(Masters, Casey, and Hurysz(wherever he ends up) but I assume that there are two primary motives:
1) Running with a better team
2) More scholarship money available
The way the landscape in track and field is going, it appears likely that three trends will continue.
1) The Ivy's will continue to "sign" good prospects as the financial aid packages make the ROI look attractive for qualified student/athletes.
2) The BCS conference schools will have the scholarship funds available for track and field/cross country athletes (notwithstanding the current situation at Maryland which is really of their own making).
3) State schools outside the BCS conferences will continue to feel pressure on their scholarship allotments and annual budgets.