You are reporting the following post to the moderators for review and possible removal from the forum

RE: Anyone ever had a "Sports Hernia" aka: "Sportsman's hernia", "Gilmore's groin
First of all , i want to cheer up ppl who have this kind of problems. Ive been through it and its been really stressing.

I live in Europe and im a M.D. in Plastic and Recontructive Surgery. I am by no means a professional athlete, but i used to play soccer twice weekly with my jobmates and friends.

5 years ago i started with some discomfort in my right groin, sometimes with a burning sensation that irradiated to the inner thigh and the scrotum. Since i work in a hospital it was easy for me to contact other specialists but i had the pain, constantly, daily, for 5 months and no one gave me a diagnosis (saw urologists, general surgeons, orthopedic surgeons)... conventional hernias were ruled out, same as epididimitis... we were puzzled and i was starting to get really anxious. Finally i met some orthopedic surgeon specialized in sports medicine (he treats players from the local soccer teams) and he diagnosed me of Pubic Ostheitis and i underwent surgery. In the procedure they found a small direct hernia that was reapaired. The recovery was a nightmare (took months to recover) but i ended without symptons. Ive been asymptomatic for 4 years now, and quite happy.

So the clue i think is finding someone who knows about this issue. Most physicians know nothing about sports hernias. Its a relatively new condition and not something they teach you about in MEd Schools. If you dont find the right person (and its not easy), you will be wasting your time in useless procedures.

So cheer up. There can be a solution. Just find the right specialist.

Hit the submit button below if you want us to review the post.

If you feel this is urgent or want a reply, email us at [email protected] about the post and please include a link to the thread the post is on and what page number/post on that page it is.