Original Message
Author
RunDaddy
Subject
RE: Anyone ever had a "Sports Hernia" aka: "Sportsman's hernia", "Gilmore's groin", or &
rockitlk wrote:

Saw another local surgeon this afternoon, he is smart enough to know that sports hernia is not a hernia, but he think the fix procedure is the same: put a mesh over there. He diagnose me both side normal hernia, I told him that no one ever felt a bulge before him(at least a dozen) and raise the possibility of AP. Then he tell me they all go with a same fix, doesn't matter.

You should see the big smile on my face today. Life is so funny, I had one surgeon told me he could feel no hernia on me last month, now there is another tell me I have it both side. Is this a big joke?

I am totally confused!

If it is last year before I find this thread, I will jump in right away for the pain is so bad. Now I am more aware and don't want the old hernia repair to try on me. Sigh.

Personal feeling: if I go to see Meyers or the german doctor, they will tell me in minutes that I had AP and need surgery. There is a proverb that "A man with a hammer see everything like a nail."

rockitlk,
I don't think Meyers is going to perform surgery unless he thinks it's necessary and will help the athlete return to full form. He told me he has treated over 9,000 patients now and has performed just over 4,000 surgeries.

He has also published widely on the subject and explains why he doesn't use mesh, etc... If I understand him correctly, with AP the problem isn't so much with the abdominal wall itself as with the insertion point into the pubic bone. Mesh reinforces the abdominal wall, but it does not go to the source of the problem.

Treating AP with conventional hernia surgery has not been very effective. I don't think your doctor is correct on that point.

Good luck.
Spam Control

To combat message board spam by non runners, we are making people answer a brief question before they can post on a thread that is over 20 days old.

If you answer this question you will be able to post.

Who of the following is not an American runner?