I have lived in a poorer city neighborhood for about 7 years and I am pretty much done with it at this point. For years I "fought the good fight" hoping things would get better, or simply having a better attitude but I'm so over it now.
- People driving like they are playing Grand Theft Auto on playstation. Blowing red lights, passing on the left in narrow city streets. Tailgating for no reason. Oh, and probably half the drivers have no insurance and their cars barely function.
-Drugs & Alcohol - look, i like to party. But after all these years I am done with bros iding in front of my car waiting for my neighbor to give him his drugs. People drink in the streets every day and there's a sh1tload of homeless guys that rummage through my garbage and ask for money every week.
-General safety - probably once a week I see a serious police response (like 5+ cars) involving a violent crime, robbery, or some kind of hit and run event. This month someone robbed a bank and crashed doing 90+ on my street, someone got shot (died) and someone lit a house on fire (totally gone).
- No one is nice - my neighbors make no effort to say hello even though we see each other all the time. I've tried, but they prefer to keep to themselves. The whole place is like this. It's a weird thing to live 20 feet away from a couple and to see them daily but not know their names or anything about them. Super dumb.
- General noise - I routinely observe people having loud, drunken arguments on my street at all hours of the night. It is usually a domestic dispute but sometimes it is actually two bros in a heated argument and sometimes there are fights.
-Car / home break ins - I've had my car broken into the entire time i've lived here. Probably every 2 months I come out to my door being open with everything in my car thrown about. Note: I lock my car. Also, people have broken into several of the homes on my street. Super stressful whenever I leave for work or a vacation.
- No one gives a sh1t about their property. My neighbors house is about 2 years from completely falling apart. After every windy day I find roof single fragments all over my yard. Her gutters routinely blow completely off the house into my yard and also f'cked my car up once. She mows her lawn about once a month and the entire house needs to be painted, BADLY. I get it, she's old and single, but holy f'ck. The guy across the street from me has had a garbage bag in his FRONT DRIVER window for about 2 years - does not give a sh1t.
- No one works - When I run errands or stop by the house on a lunch break, everyone on my street is sitting on their porch chilling.
- Bottom of the barrel for road repairs / snow plowing - self explanatory.
So, yeah. I am really looking forward to moving a few miles east into a place where, if i accidentally forget my lawnmower outside, it isnt gone the next morning.