This Sunday the 9th December the annual European Cross Country Championships take place in Tilburg, Netherlands.
The women's U20 race sees 2 big young talents facing off ...
Sarah Healy (Ireland)
- Turns 18 next February
- PBs: 2:02.8 / 4:09.3 / 9:10i
- 2018 European U18 Champion at 1500 + 3000 (didn't compete at World U20s or YOG)
- 2017 European Youth Olympic Festival (U17) Champion at 1500
- Hasn't previously competed at the European Cross Country Championships and I don't know how good she is at cross country.
Delia Sclabas (Switzerland)
- Turned 18 last month
- PBs: 2:01.3 / 4:10.1 / 9:09
- 2018 World U20 bronze medallist at 800 + 1500
- 2017 European U20 Champion at 3000 (didn't compete at World U18s)
- 2016 European U18 Champion at 1500 + 3000
- 6th in 2016 European U20 Cross Country; 17th in 2017 edition
I think those 3000m PBs are misleading due to the paucity of good opportunities at 3000 for U18s in Europe. I reckon they're both capable of sub-9 at the moment. I'd say Healy certainly is.
They might not even win on Sunday though. One or two others stand a decent chance like the highest "returner", Jasmijn Lau (NED), 4th last year.
In other races, Littlebrigtsen is going for his 3rd straight U20 title at these championships.
The whole event will be live streamed (not geo-blocked if you're in a country that doesn't show it on TV) via: http://www.european-athletics.org/
Previews are going up at: http://www.european-athletics....hips/news/
The schedule is at: http://www.european-athletics....nglish.pdf
Seven races including the Mixed Relay; First race (Women's U20) at 10.45am local time.