Has anyone besides me analyzed the results/splits? No way Rupp is better than third in it - maybe the. Here's why.
1. The times were fast.
1. Lawrence Cherono (K) : 2:05:09 (CR, PR)
2. Norbert Kigen (K): 2:05:09 (PR)
3. Abraham Kiptum (K): 2:05:26
4. Mule Wasihun (E) : 2:05:36
5. Laban Korir (K): 2:07:01
6. Stephen Chebogut (K): 2:07:30
7. Tesfayer Abera (E) : 2:07:39
8. Abdi Nageye (NED/Somalia) : 2:08:16
9. Joseph Aperumoi (K): 2:08:26
10. Rira Seboka (E) : 2:08:51
2. The close - off of a fast pace - was way better than Rupps. Remember, the first half was 62:51 and then they closed like this:
Cherono ran his last 12.2 k in 14:30-14:33-6:09
Rupp off of a 66 first half, ran his last 12.2 k in 15:22-14:25-6:12.
So Cherono ran 62:51-62:18
Rupp ran 66:11-63:09.
From 30k to the finsh, Cherono ran 35:12. Rupp ran 35:59.
So even the fourth placer closed 20 seconds faster than Rupp from 30k. Yes, Rupp started his close later but at best he'd be third? I mean the top 2 basically closed their last 7.2 k the same as Rupp in a race that was 4 minutes faster.