Tracker and GPS data are cans of worms. Here's another. Although the
letsrun conversation is 98% noise, the remaining 2% is worth noting.
There is a day that Rob's RV got stuck in the desert. The location is
known. There is a photo circulating of him next to the stuck RV. The exif
data from that photo gives a timestamp of A.
Later, as part of the blog, there are photos of a freshly showered (and
rested? well, rested looking) Rob enjoying the life of the destination
they've reached. The exif data from that gives a timestamp of B.
The distance between the stuck RV's location and that town is 40+ miles by
road or 23ish miles over a small set of mountains w/o roads nor marked
Whether he legged out the 40+ road miles or somehow orienteered his way
through the brush for 23ish miles without navigational aids, the time
between A and B is incredible. And I mean that in a literal sense.
While exif data can be manipulated too, it would make no sense to adjust
timestamps in a way that would make the distance traveled pretty much
impossible by foot.
Andy, I know you are standing up for your friend. And letsrun is a lot of
noise. But the person who put the above info together actually did some
important legwork. Without 'hating'. I commend you for leaving that
conversation alone and standing up for Rob, but it is discrepancies such as
this which are puzzling.
When I look at photos of Rob since Laz joined, I see a guy who is really
working hard. Thumbs up. At the same time, I wonder why he did not look
quite like this in photos posted during the earlier parts all the way to
Missouri. I'm not making an accusation, and I'm not a hater. I'm making an
Last thing. I've been around US running message boards for 16 years now.
Dynamics and sociology are interesting. letsrun ESPECIALLY so. Andy,
you've announced (maybe twice?) in the letsrun conversation that you are
leaving and dramatically told them why. This is your right, but or better
or worse, this is known as "flouncing". When you return, as you have, it
just marks you for more of that special "Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids"
banter that they are so well known for. I'm not saying you should/shouldn't
post there... that is your decision... but if you decide to leave, my
advice is to do it quietly. Flouncing does not serve the purpose you think
it does beyond the possible catharsis of writing tell-off words.
I really wanted to believe in Rob. I do not currently.