I ran a 10K race. I think I ran about 38 minutes for the race. It was funny for several reasons:
1. I thought everyone who ran a road race was probably pretty fast, so I started at the back of the pack. I passed nearly the entire field in the first mile. I ended up finishing something like 6th overall.
2. I kept passing some guy on the uphills only to have him storm by me on the downhills. He finally said, "Kid, you'd run faster if you conserve you energy on the uphill and run hard on the downhills." I did that on the next hill and ran away from him.
3. Jim Ryun was running in the race. If you ever saw pictures of Ryun and me running, you would swear that we were identical twins (except he was way faster). My mother and a friend were watching the race. At the finish, they saw someone like me coming in and said, "There he is. No, it's Jim Ryun. No, it's not, Yes, it is." This went back-and-forth until Ryun ran by. My mom's friend said, "Oh, it's only Jim Ryun."
4. The race was in Denton, TX, and you made a right turn to lead back to Fouts Field and the finish. There is a beer barn on the corner. Some guy behind me ran through the beer bard and came out in front of me. I still outkicked him, however.
5. There was a marathon along with the 10K. It was determined that the "winner" had ridden in a car a good part of the way. He actually had the gall to ask where he could buy a trophy like the ones they were giving away.