Quote Of The Day
Race relations in the USA flex and bend, expand and contract, but always leaving one sad fact as a constant. If you begin a New World based on an system of slave labor, then bake that system into place for over 240 years before a Civil War erupts to break it, even 160 years later the odds of overcoming every residue consequence of that original ill design are extremely low, if not impossible.
…Improvements in civil rights have been made in the USA, as well, legally and culturally. Still, when White America says to Black America in the year 2020, “After all, we have elected and re-elected a black president, things are much better now than they have ever been,” black America might well respond, “tell that to George Floyd and Ahmaud Arbery and all the others either imprisoned or dead from Covid-19 at a rate much higher than our percentage of the American population.”…
America has not, nor will ever likely, live up to the ideals of her founding. But just as runners breakdown their races into manageable stages to allow their bodies and minds to cope with the struggle until they smell the barn and sprint for home, so can America marshall the forces of good that do exist within all strata of her imperfect society and act to moderate the still painful relapses of an original, remnant illness as she aspires, as best she can, toward Lincoln’s and King’s goal of a more perfect union.
–Toni Reavis writing on race in America.
- US running clubs. A famed UK running club wants to kick your *** on July 4th in a virtual relay challenge. Details here.
- Amazing news re Covid-19. The virus has lost its potency in Italy. "In reality, the virus clinically no longer exists in Italy"
- Secrets of Leo Daschbah's sub-4 training revealed. How would you rate these workouts?
- Can Newbury Park boys 4-peat at NXN?
- Leo Daschbach is doing a 400m time trial today
- Old Timers. How does 2020 compare to the 60s?
- Don’t you think having a cleaning lady/guy at your house sets a bad precedent for your kids?
- What is wrong with people? Washington Nats owner, worth $4.3 billion, reduces stipend of minor leaguers from $400 a week to $300
- I ran by two houses throwing parties today ????
- Any truth to 2020 NYC Marathon being run completely within Central Park
- What is your opinion of this thread on r/running on Reddit about how runners should compare their times with others?
- Runner at my club does 125+ miles every week
- Why are my easy runs getting slower? Any way to fix this?