Quote Of The Day
Athletics Weekly: “You’re not an athletics person. Is that a weakness or a strength?”
Joanna Coates (new UK Athletics head): “I think it’s a huge strength. I had never played netball and they never got me on a netball court! And I still don’t play netball. But I was able to go in there with a fresh pair of eyes and make quite tough decisions because you don’t have the emotional connection. You can look at it more as a business and ask: ‘where do I need to make change?’ And I don’t think I did a bad job there.
I want to take all the learnings that I’ve had from sport over the years and apply it to athletics. I think you can look at it with a really fair pair of eyes, because you don’t have the emotion, you can be very critical of things. But don’t get me wrong, you do then fall in love with it!
Of course, you need people around you who have the knowledge of the sport – that’s the key thing. Surround yourself with great people who understand the sport. Learn from them and consult them. But I think that coming in fresh is a good thing.”
– Joanna Coates, the new head of UK Athletics, explaining how not being a track and field die-hard her whole life will make her better at her job. We like her logic.
- Women's sports may be saved!! CT's policy of allowing transgender women to compete w/o treatment found to violate Title IX
- LOL: Shelby Houlihan: The pandemic hasn't changed that much for me as I'm a member of the BTC and we never race anyways
- What happened to Michael Granville? 1:46.45 in HS and still holds the 800m National Record!!
- Why would Rowbury want to return to the Olympics?
- What’s the hottest and most humid place with a good XC team?
- Can a very new runner get a stress fracture by running 20 MPW over the course of two months?
- Runner's World: Can we all just agree to stop using "Jogger" as an insult?
- What you've always been taught is wrong. Scientific study says when you're trying to recover it's way better to put your hands on your knees than behind your head