19 Years Ago From Wednesday
Did you know that 10 days before Webb ran his 3:53 mile at age 18 he ran a crazy triple at his district meet? In the span of 80 minutes, he started by winning the 1,600 in 4:06.74 off of a 2:14 first 800 (so that means he ran the 2nd 800 in 1:52), then he won the open 400 in 49.29 before coming back to win the 800 in a negative split 1:49.53. After watching the triple, journalist Pearl Watts predicted Webb would take down Jim Ryun‘s US HS record as he wrote, “The seemingly impregnable high school mile record by Jim Ryun of 3:55.3 set in 1965 looks to be in the realm of possibility, if not probability, after the performance on Thursday night by Alan Webb of South Lakes.”
- Wait, what? Do the Japanese college coaches really live in the dorms with their athletes?
- Does Leo Daschbach's record deserves a tiny asterisk since the start of the race took place in lanes, not a waterfall?
- Team Ingebrigtsen v Team Cheruiyot - Virtual Race @ June 11 Impossible Games. Ingebrigstesns run at sea level, others at 5,800 ftft
- Think you are training hard? Meet the 60-yr old old with a full hip replacment who just ran 200 miles last week!
- Have any other nation’s citizens pushed back at stay-at-home orders more than Americans?
- Newbury Park's top three 3200 runners have run 8:40, 8:44 and 9:05 - Is that a record?
- Great "Zoom" Interview with Dick Beardsley
- 85 year ago, Jesse Owens enjoyed the “greatest 45 minutes ever in sports” as he set 4 WRs in 45 minutes
- First Nick Symmonds; now Letsrun sweetheart Leah O’Connor is married!
- Most inspirational lecture ever? Peter Thiel's "You are not a Lottery Ticket"
- Nick Symonds is married. The King finally has a Queen.