Quote Of The Day
“The failure to regulate “super shoes” hurts running. It undermines one of the sport’s most valuable qualities, namely that the outcome, the title, the victory, goes to the athlete whose physiology is optimized through training and genetics, then enabled by tactics, to cross the finish line first… It’s why, when we recorded a podcast analysing the Nike Vaporfly shoes, we said that they “broke running“.
“Last week, or indeed, over the last four years, the authorities have had the chance to ‘fix’ this. They chose not to.”…
“I don’t want [to watch] a five-set final at the Australian Open thinking “Shit, I wonder if this result would be different if Thiem and Djokovic could swap tennis rackets? If only my guy had a different sponsor”. Nor do I wish to watch swimming wondering whether the guy in Lane 4 might actually be a better swimmer than the guy in Lane 5, but with a swimsuit that is 3% worse.
“If this happens, the meaning of that sport is undermined. But this is the situation that has developed in running, now facilitated by the regulatory equivalent of the Emperor’s clothes, is that we have to watch running events not just wondering, but KNOWING, that if the runners could swap shoes, the outcome would certainly change. If this happens, the meaning of that sport is undermined. But this is the situation that has developed in running.”
-Sports scientist Ross Tucker writing about World Athletics new shoe rules. In Tucker’s minds, even if other shoe companies catch up with Nike, the shoes are still a big problem as some athletes are super responders while others don’t respond at all to them.
- Incredible Read. Ross Tucker: The Vaporflys Need To Be Banned
- Nico Young runs 4:10, 4:16 in practice!!!
- Kipchoge has never broken 2:04 without the Vaporfly
- Do you really replace shoes every 2-3 months?
- New Kenya Tokyo 2020 Kit Sparks Outrage
- Wow: Did World Athletics new shoe rules combined with a Nikes patent just give Nike a 20-year unbeatable advantage?
- Dead On Arrival: Brooks Hyperion Elite Performance Review
- Found shill bidding on eBay. What should I do?
- Fridge Raider: Inside the Diet of Ultra-Marathoner Jim Walmsley
- Getting $960 tax refund this year after owning $130 last year. What changed?