Quote Of The Day
“The call came on a Monday, news I hoped I would never have to hear: my Grandma had passed away….
I got out to do some training, but my heart wasn’t in it and, even though I had a competition lined up that week, I called my Mom and told her: “I don’t want to compete.”
But she wasn’t having that: “Your Grandma would want you to go out there.”
Not long before she passed away, my Grandma had left me a voicemail that I still have saved, talking about how she expects me to go and win the gold medal in Tokyo and that’s always been her thing: that I’ll win the Olympics.
In the end, I decided to compete that weekend – this small meet in Long Beach, California. Even though my training had been going well, my expectations were low. I surprised myself in the long jump with 8.21m, then I had about an hour before the triple jump.
Queen, my wife, came up asked if I was going to do the triple. “I gotta go to Europe next week,” I told her. “So maybe not.”
But after sitting around for a while I thought, well, why not? What’s the worst that can happen?
When I got on that runway, it all came together. I jumped 18.14m, a huge personal best and the fourth biggest jump in history. The best part about it was that I wasn’t chasing any mark. I just let it happen – and it did.
I felt something in that meet, this strange feeling – a sense, without any doubt, that my Grandma was looking down on me.”
-Triple jumper Will Claye writing in Spikes about how he jumped a huge PB just days after his beloved grandmother – the matriarch of the family who survived civil war in Sierra Leone -died.
- Walmsley Crushes Ultravasen 90K Trail in 5:47
- Cool story: Anti-doping authorities sent Tianna Bartoletta an email letting her know she had a SERIOUS medical condition
- Nick Symmonds sets a new WORLD RECORD for fastest 100m ever run in ski boots
- High schoolers SUCK at easy runs
- Kalle Berglund crushes Swedish national record in Götebog, runs 3:34.89 (Prakel 3:37- Full video)
- Efraimson Bounces Back from Injury to Finish 3rd at the Pan Ams - Her Workouts Indicated 4 Flat Fitness
- "All NFL Wide Receivers can break 50 sec in the 400m"
- Meet Joe Whelan - the guy who was working 30-70 hours a week as a Texas ranch hand - but still managed to run 2:13 at Grandma's
- Singapore Athletics doesn't like "behavior and attitude" of 2:23 marathoner, so they send 2:38 marathoner instead
- Nationwide movie about women's HS xc - Overcomer - is coming out August 23rd
- Am I fat? 5’11 and 172lbs; 40 years old; 70 mpw