Running Can Unite Us
“When I woke up last Monday morning, I had never heard of Kelsey Bruce or Matt Crowe. Five days later, I was cheering them on at the World Cross-Country Championships in Aarhus, Denmark. (Yes, cheering. I’ll admit to breaking the sportswriter’s code of objectivity on this occasion.)”
“It was something I told Kelsey, Matt, and my boss Weldon Johnson that night after the race had finished: one of the things I love about sports – running, in particular – is its ability to bring people together. On its head, the idea of inviting a complete stranger to fly almost 5,000 miles across the Atlantic to spend the weekend with you in a foreign country sounds completely insane. Who would make such an offer? And who would be crazy enough to accept it?”
“But when you add the World Cross-Country Championships into the equation, it all makes sense. The event, and our shared love of running, united a Division II assistant coach from Texas, an itinerant online English teacher, and two running journalists. Now here we were, in a food hall in Aarhus, sharing a plate of duck fat fries and laughing over beers at Weldon’s battle with a pink-clad woman in the World XC open race. There were no frowns, even though neither Kelsey nor Matt (nor Weldon, for that matter) had run as well as they wanted to. It was just four people enjoying each other’s company. And it never would have happened without running. That, to me, is pretty cool.”
– Jonathan Gault writing about the 2019 IAAF World Cross-Country Championships and how running can unite us.
Super Hot on LetsRun: Nike ZoomX Vaporfly NEXT% Unveiled
- Runner Still Missing After Disappeaering during Malaysian Race
- Team LetsRun Member Kelsey Bruce's Super Nice Thank You Note
- Non Vaporfly4% wearers prayers about to be answered!!!
- Chances of Mo Farah beating Kipchoge in London?
- How Good do you have to be to Run around the world and make a living at a sub elite level?
- Which NCAA campus is best?
- Emily Sisson will break the AR at London
- Ultra discussion: thoughts on the Georgia Death Race controversy?
- Screw It. Is Sub-4 Possible for Me?
- Orioles Pitcher Pulled During No-Hitter
- Does living in a hilly area effect your running quality and quantity?
- El Guerrouj's 4:44.79 2000m WR is untouchable