Quote Of The Day
“Historically, the longer distances were the pillar of track and field. Marathon was the pride of Olympics, and 5,000m and 10,000m races were what made track and field interesting.”
“All the legends of track and field – from Paavo Nurmi, Haile Gebreselassie and Kenenisa Bekele, Mo Farah and Paula Radcliffe, Kip Keino, Henry Rono and Paul Tergat, Said Aouita and Hicham El Guerrouj – were 5,000m and 10,000m athletes.”
“Besides, our athletes would lose significant income from the circuit if the two races are dropped. This would have a trickling effect and demoralise young athletes who admire their successful compatriots in their flashy cars and high-end property, thanks to prize money from winning long distance races.”
“They can limit the races that are broadcast live and still have the 5,000m and 10,000m on the programme.”
– Barnabas Korir, chairman of AK Nairobi, ripping the IAAF’s decision to drop the 5,000 from the Diamond League (after never including the 10,000). His Ethiopian colleagues agree as Sileshi Bisrat of the EAF communications department said, “We Africans should shout loud to IAAF to stop the silent killing of our long distance running. The way forward showed that IAAF is going to remove these two events from the World Championships.”
Super Hot on LetsRun: Kipchoge: "I have been doing all things at 80 percent"
- This week's podcast is here: We hold a funeral for the 5,000, talk new Olympic qualifying, NCAA indoors, Grant Holloway...
- What happened to Eric Jenkins
- Which world record is doped for sure?
- 800m - 10,000m High Performance Meets | July 2, 5, 7 in Los Angeles (Sunset Tour)
- I'm 32 and have serious issues with professionalism
- What's the point of joining a running club? Am I missing something?
- Maybe people are overreacting to new Olympic standards
- New Dog Attack On Runner - German Shepherd
- Best Athletes to not run after high school?
- What are the chances of Runners sprinting the Marathon in under sub 1 hour in the future?
- Most ALPHA careers in the world?
- How do I get hired as a consultant at amazon? The review fraud is RAMPANT and setting them up for a class-action lawsuit
- Woman Told to Cover Up or Leave Plane
- On my run I got attacked by two dogs, kicked one, got assaulted by their owner
- All-Female Appeals Court (Italy), finds Peruvian woman 'too ugly' to be credible as a rape victim, overturned by High Court