Quote Of The Day
“I think we got real lucky. We had two things going for us the first year we coached. We had a superstar — that was Drew, our son — and then we had a really good freshman class of kids that bought into the culture that we expected and that we thought would be a winning formula. They bought into it. And that just builds on itself. They want to be part of something special and unique, I think, high school kids, looking for something different. We have a lot of kids that have tried other sports, youth sports, growing up, and they’re either burned out or they were mediocre or they just didn’t quite fit in. Cross country, at least on our team, is a very welcoming group of kids. And so you had that combination. We had a superstar that everyone thought was just a normal kid, we had that really good group of freshmen, and I think our team was very welcoming. And I think that’s the reason.”
– Marc Hunter, coach of Loudoun Valley High School and father of former sub-4 high schooler Drew, talking about how he and his wife Joan have built a winning culture which lead their team to a repeat boys’ NXN title this year.
Super Hot on LetsRun: Kipchoge: "I have been doing all things at 80 percent"
- Oregon track and field team on probation through 2020!
- Meb Keflezighi just bought the Carlsbad 5k (partially)!
- "Moneyball" Statistics for High School Track and Field
- How to win NXN two years in a row? Joan and Marc Hunter Q & A
- California seems overwhelming
- 5 time Indiana XC and T&F Champ won’t run for school that fired coach.
- Suzy Favor Hamilton's back. Check out her latest 'bouidoir' shot.