So Important, It Gets A 2nd Day
“The worst thing was that she was humiliated every day when she would see the others girls going to practice, and she’s not allowed to practice. She can’t eat at the special dining hall for athletes like they can anymore. She’s not allowed to use the track until 8 o’clock at night when the team has finished using it so she can work out. She’s not allowed to get workouts from the coaches anymore and she has to make up her own workouts.”
– An outraged mother talking in Alejandro Danois‘ incredible 8,600+ word expose in theshadowleague.com on the ramifications of Beth Alford-Sullivan‘s shameful acts when she took over at Tennessee last fall. In October, Alford-Sullivan cut a slew of women from the team. Moving in “another direction” is one thing (personally we think NCAA scholarships should be good for 4 years) but cutting freshmen on full scholarships before they even compete and not letting them train, use the weight room or athlete dining halls is an UNCONSCIONABLE ACT that the NCAA, Tennessee and Alford-Sullivan should be ashamed of. The actions by Alford-Sullivan jeopardized the athletes’ mental health and their prospects to get in shape to get another scholarship (let alone prove their fitness at a meet). At a minimum, if she wanted to go in “another direction,” she should have told them in the fall but let them compete and be on the team for the year. Athletes are human beings with hopes and dreams (academic, athletic and financial), not simply potential points to a track team.
We’re not the only ones outraged. See the following thread (450 + posts and counting):
*MB: Sullivan making headlines at UT
- Centro vs Wheating at Friday's Oregon Relays - Who you got?
- Seb Coe's battle for IAAF presidence is featured in New York Times
- Culpepper's take on easy pace in "Run Like a Champion"
- ESPN story about Penn Runner Madison Holleran who committed suicide
- HS girl Christina Aragon HUGE PR 4:16; #5 AT!
- Dave Goldberg dies of head trauma while on treadmill
- HOKA ONE ONE Heat Sheets
- When did distance runners start shaving their legs?
- Brady GUILTY in Inflategate