Quote Of The Day
“[Kim] McDonald set up the race as a world record attempt at 3,000m, with two pacemakers, John Kosgei and David Kipsang. When Kipsang led Komen through 800 meters in 1:57.0, television commentators Tim Hutchings and Steve Cram burst out laughing. It was suicide. But they weren’t laughing anymore when Kosgei, who took over as lead pacer when Kipsang dropped out, brought Komen through the mile in 3:54.7 before dropping out himself. Incredibly, Komen held the impossible pace alone all the way to the line, crossing it at 7:20.67 to lop a mind-boggling 4.5 seconds off Morceli’s record.”
– Excerpt from a Competitor.com piece by Matt Fitzgerald on the career of 3,000m and 2-mile world record holder Daniel Komen. Fitzgerald explores what made Komen’s career so great and the reasons it may have been cut so short.
- RIP: Former Brown And New Balance Boston Runner Kate Goldstein Dies While Falling off a Cliff on a Run in India
- Official 2014: USA vs. Portugal World Cup Discussion Thread
- Pacemaker beats Wilson Kipsang in Olomouc
- What is the biggest blow to your ego you've recieved in running?
- are you on team mary or team alexa?
- Northport boys nearly get South Eugene's decades old 4xmile record