Twin Cities, NYC And Other Upcoming Marathon/Half News
- Twin Cities: USATF Preview Of US Marathon Champs At Twin Cities On Sunday Men's field led by 2:11 man Nick Arciniaga, 2010 champ Sergio Reyes and three naturalized Americans of Kenyan descent in Shadrack Biwott (3rd at US Half Champs), Joseph Chirlee (2:12 PR) and Josphat Boit. The women's field is led by Meghan Peyton, who will face Atalelech Asfaw (2:33:56) and Wendy Thomas (12 at 2012 OT).
- Multi-Time US Olympian 42-Year-Old Elva Dryer Calls Marathon Attempt At Twin Cities A "Shot In the Dark" She'll compete in both the US Masters and US Marathon champs, but hasn't raced seriously since 2009.
- Carrie Tollefson Making Her Marathon Debut At Twin Cities On Sunday She said she's running it mostly for fun and just wants to go under 3 hours.
- NYC: Geoffrey Mutai Says He Can Run 2:04 To Break His Own CR In NYC "Wilson's performance in Berlin has given me the extra impetus to do well in New York. I know the course is very tough but running 2:04 can be achievable if the weather is good."
- Ryan Hall Withdraws From San Jose Half This Weekend, Which Was His Tune-Up Race For NYC Hall's agent Ray Flynn said Hall had a training setback and needed the time to train before New York. Without Hall, top entrants include Ryan Vail, Canadian Dylan Wykes and Fernando Cabada, who was going to run the postponed Woodrow Wilson Bridge Half in VA.
- Ethiopian Bronx Resident Buzunesh Deba Hoping To Become The First New Yorker In 39 Years To Win The NYC Marathon She was 2nd in 2011.
- Other: World 10k Silver Medalist Ibrahim Jeilan Making His Half Marathon Debut At The RnR Lisbon Half On Sunday It's a very deep field with Imane Merga, 2010 World Half Champ Wilson Kiprop and World XC bronze medallist Teklemarian Medhin. Italy's World marathon silver medalist Valeria Straneo faces NYC Half champ Firehiwot Dado in the women's field.
- Great Scottish Run Will Be Live On The BBC 10:30AM-1:30PM BST (5:30AM-8:30AM Eastern) Haile Gebrselassie vs. 2-time defending champ Joseph Birech and 60:56 half marathoner Emmanuel Bett. Commonwealths marathon champ Irene Jerotich leads the women's field.
- Boston Champ Lelisa Desisa and 3rd Placer Gebre Gebremariam Running BAA Half On October 13th
- October 20th Toronto Waterfront Marathon Will Have A Free Live Stream Broadcast Available In All Countries And Announced By Tim Hutchings On the possibility of a fast race, Hutchings said, "Again, I would come back to we should always be reining ourselves in from being infatuated with quick times. If it's a 2:09, 2:10 race it doesn't matter if there are three lads knocking chunks out of each other the last 10 km., you want something that is really gripping for the viewer."
VCB Drug News
- UPDATE #2: Jamaican Gleaner Reports That Two "Unnamed Insiders"
Have Said The Jamaican Disciplinary Panel's Recommendation Is Unlikely To Be Upheld By The IAAF Or Go Unchallenged By WADA One insider said, "Honestly, I believe that it is unlikely to be upheld; if that happens, then I would be surprised."
*Update: VCB Could Still Face Drug Ban Despite Decision By Jamaican Disciplinary Panel To Let Her Off With A Warning The IAAF still has to sign off on the decision and even if they do, WADA has the option to challenge it.
*Original Release: Veronica Campbell-Brown Escapes Positive Doping Test With Only A Public Warning She won't serve any kind of ban for testing positive for a banned diuretic.
US Elites In The News
- Ryan Hall's Final Blog From Kenya: "I definitely got what I came for in my first trip to Kenya." He said he was very impressed with the self-belief Kenyans runners have and said, "You cannot tell the difference between a 2:04 marathon runner and a 2:20 marathon runner in Kenya; they exude the same confidence and self-belief."
- Elites Giving Back: Brenda Martinez Hosted A Running Camp For 5 Athletes Who Won An Essay-Writing Contest And Will Continue To Mentor Them Ironically, this article about "giving back to the community" appeared on competitor.com.
- US's 400H Olympic Silver Medalist Lashinda Demus Gets Restraining Order Against Husband
- US 110H Champ Ryan Wilson Talks About Bringing Colors Back To Uniforms Instead Of Everyone Wearing The Same Old Boring Kit "Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be too much thinking outside the box, which is a shame because it is one of the oldest sports, so it should be the wisest. ... Instead track and field doesn't do any of that and they wonder why the sport is losing interest."
- Will Leer Talks About His High School Career He mostly played soccer in the fall and had a 4:16.4 1,600 PR.
- Extensive Gary Cohen Q&A With US's 1991 World Marathon Bronze Medalist Steve Spence He is the father of current Hansons-Brooks elite Neely Spence-Gracey.
- Steve Jones Inducted Into Boulder Sports Hall Of Fame In 25th Anniversary Year Of His 2:08:20 NYC Marathon Victory
- Elite Coach: RunningTimes Interview With Providence Coach Ray Treacy
- RunnerSpace Q&A With Aaron Braun
CGI News Gets Attention In The NY Times
- Competitor Group Dropping Elites Gets Mentioned On NY Times Homepage: "Races End Appearance Fees To Top Runners, Drawing Outcry" "The sport is discovering something that the hospital and newspaper industries have learned in recent years: when Wall Street money gains sway, old methods are often dispassionately cast aside if they do not help the bottom line." CEO Scott Dickey said they'll still pay elites' travel and prize money.
- CGI Trend Moving To Japan? Historic Japanese Elite 10 Mile Race Discontinuing To Make Way For A Mass Participation Full Marathon The race director said, "There's a touch of sadness about this decision, but this race has played its role in making Hyogo the home of Japanese distance running. Now we want to support as wide a range of runners as possible and make the Himeji Castle Marathon as popular and successful as we can."
- Breaking The CGI Trend: Austin Marathon And Half Marathon Add Elite Field And $40,000+ Of Elite Athlete Support Great to see other road races stepping up in the wake of other events putting out less elite support. Austin seems to have been listening to recent talk in the news as they'll have their elites visit local schools in the days leading up to the race.
- Wilson Kipsang Flies Home In Helicopter And Received With A Hero's Welcome; Says That Without A Headwind He Could Have Gone Faster He also said that the Olympic bronze "is not enough" for him and he wants gold at either 2015 Worlds or 2016 Olympics.
*2nd Article On Kipsang's Return
- Paul Tergat Agrees With LetsRun: Says Sub 2-Hour Marathon Is Impossible Tergat: "Take it from me today; forget about it, it will never happen. It's impossible. ... Definitely maybe 2:03:10 but anything lower than that, it's going to a very uphill task."
- Athletics Kenya Feud Comes To An End As President Isaiah Kiplagat And Other Top Officials "Bury The Hatchet" It sounds like nothing was actually resolved and discussions over the the supposed issues with the constitution have been put off until their annual general meeting next year.
*The Standard: "Athletics Kenya and 'rebels' reach ceasefire after lengthy meeting." This article says that the constitution will be reviewed in a meeting on October 25-26th, but then quotes Kiplagat saying it will wait until next year.
- Berlin 2nd Placer Sharon Cherop Disappointed She Still Hasn't Gone Sub-2:22
We Already Knew This After Watching Him Answer Every Question After His WChamps Disaster
Kirani James Is A Class Act - Back At Alabama And Humbly Working On His Degree "He's always been very quiet, extremely humble, and he's the exact same person before he went to London as he is right now," Jones said. "He doesn't have the big head; he's not cocky. He truly is the exact same person."
US Marathon Champs Are This Weekend In Minneapolis And Meghan Payton Is A Potential Winner In Her Hometown She's never finished a marathon before (dropped out at mile 24 at Olympic Trials).
- Nick Willis Reveals How He Got 4,000 People To Show Up And Watch The Sub-4 Mile He Put On In Michigan Here's the skinny: It happens rarely, happens after a nice warmup, and takes less than 4 minutes and it's free. Does that remind you of anything? Of course they showed up.
- Jenny Simpson Enjoying 2 Weeks Off, A Little Afraid She's Going To Drive Her Husband Crazy
- Toni Reavis: Does 1,500 Speed Determine One's Ultimate Marathon Potential
(Will 3:28 1,500 Man Mo Farah Be A Star)?
*MB: Really? Meb's coach: "Anyone who runs a fast 10K can run a fast marathon." - List of fast 10kers but failed marathoners
Post Kipsang World Record News
Day After: Kipsang Does 25-Minute Run, Limps Into Press Conference, Says His Next Marathon Is In April
He is sponsored by adidas so is there any chance it's Boston? We highly doubt it. Kipsang says he was inspired by Paul Tergat's WR in Berlin 10 years ago
as he's like "family" to him as they are from the same area.
*Idiot Who Finished Ahead Of Kipsang Is Charged With "Trespassing"
*Kipsang Is Finalist For IAAF AOY Award We say Bondarenko.
Recommended Read: Renato Canova Analyzes The 2013 Berlin Marathon - Says W. Kipsang Is "Most Consistent Marathon Runner All Time" - Says Kipchoge Might Get WR Next Year He also lavishes praise on both for being two of the most professional and serious in Kenya. *Discuss
You Asked For It? You Get It: MB: Renato Canova tells you what he thinks W. Kipsang could run for a mile
*Science Of Sport: Is The Sub-2-Hour Marathon Imminent? Don't Hold Your Breath
MB: Paul Tergat agrees with LetsRun - Sub-2 marathon is impossible
MB: Want Proof of Mo Farah's Doping? He's reportedly "plotting" a sub-2 hour marathon
*Kipsang's WR This Year Was Track's First Of Year - Meaning The Streak Of At Least One WR Per Year Since 1907 Continues
*Eurosport On Kipsang's WR: One of sport's greatest ever achievements, yet few people even noticed We disagree it was one of sport's greatest achievements. Get back to us when someone breaks 2:03:00.
*Boston's Column: Memo To The World, A Man Ran 2:03:02 In Boston In 2011
*How Long Could You Run With Wilson Kipsang?
2013 BMW Berlin Marathon *Men's Results *Women's Results *Highlight Video *LRC Photo Gallery
Wilson Kipsang Sets New Marathon World Record At 2:03:23 Kipsang went through the half in 1:01:45 and had company up through 35K before breaking away from the pack. In only his second marathon,
Eliud Kipchoge was second in 2.04.05, Geoffrey Kipsang finished third in 2.06.26. Florence Kiplagat won the women's race in 2:21:13 with Sharon Cherop second with 2:22:28. Germany's Irina Mikitenko set the world masters best when she finished third in 2:24:54; Desiree Davila was 5th in 2:29:15.
*Organizer Press Release
*How Did He Do It? Splits And Live Analysis From The Science Of Sport's Ross Tucker Kipsang's 5km splits were very even.
*Globe Runner Recap Kipsang: "This is a dream come true. Ten years ago, I watched Paul Tergat break the world record in Berlin, and now I have achieved the dream."
*2 Minutes Of Video Highlights: An idiot promoting prostitution jumped out from the crowd and crossed the finish line ahead of Kipsang.
*Post-Race Video Interview With Kipsang
*Interesting Berlin Stats From Ken Nakamura W. Kipsang is now the first four-time sub-2:05 guy, 1st two-time sub-2:04 guy.
*EuroSport: Idiot Promoting Prostitution Website Ruins Kipsang's Record Moment (Includes Video) The spectator (wearing a shirt with a prostitution website on it) jumped a railing and ran across the finish line, breaking the tape before Kipsang.
*Police Charge Berlin Ambush Marketer With Trespassing
*Video Of Finish Line Intruder From Different Angle
*Athletics Weekly: "organisers should stick [the finish line photo bomber] in a room full of angry photographers for an hour as punishment." We're not sure that's a severe enough punishment.
*A Good Example Of Elites' Value To Sponsors: Video Of Haile Gebrselassie, Patrick Makau And Wilson Kipsang Goofing Around In A BMW Before Berlin
*Florence Kiplagat: "I felt strong in the first half of the race, but then I started getting problems with my right foot, I had a blister which forced me to slow down." She also said she found the weather conditions harder here than when she won 2 years ago in 2:19.
*Japanese Performances In Berlin Suehiro Ishikawa was first Japanese man in 7th with 2:10:24.
*World Champ Edna Kiplagat Hails Wilson Kipsang
*Irina Mikitenko Gets 3rd In Berlin, Breaking Masters World Record With 2:24:54
*NY Times Article
*Men's Results *Women's Results
Berlin MB Discussion: *OFFICIAL 2013 BERLIN MARATHON THREAD
*WILSON KIPSANG 2:03:23!
*Guy that jumped in the way at finish of Berlin Marathon?
*2003: Paul Tergat 2:04:55. 2013: Wilson Kipsang 2:03:23. WR improving ~10s per year.
*kipsang ran a 2:03:32 in practice?
*RENATO CANOVA: WILL THE MARATHON WR BE BROKEN? Congrats to MB poster Calgary, who predicted the 2:03:23 World record time.
Pre-Berlin News *Pre-Race Photos With 7 WR Holders
Photo Of The Day:
All 7 World Record Holders In Berlin Back For The 40th Anniversary:
(Click On Photo For More Photos)
NCAA News *All Weekend NCAA XC Results
- Florida State Women Win Notre Dame Invitational Over New Mexico, Led By 2nd-Place Finish By Colleen Quigley Duke's Juliet Bottroff was the individual winner.
*Full Women's Results
- 30th-Ranked Columbia Men Win At Notre Dame, Beating 7 Teams Ranked Ahead Of Them Columbia ran as a strong pack with their first 3 runners only separated by .9 seconds. UTEP's Anthony Rotich won individually in 24:18.
*Full Men's Results
- Jesse Squire Tabs The Weekend's Best Matchups
Also NCAA-Related: Texas Monthly Takes A Very Long Look Inside The Firing Of Texas Head Track Coach Bev Kearney
More Marathon News: When Will Another Woman Run 2:15?
- Berlin Champ Florence Kiplagat Tired Of Having Her Thunder Stolen By Kenyan Men (She Also Won Berlin When Patrick Makau Broke The WR) Kiplagat: "I'm happy but even we (women) can bring the world record to Kenya. It's not always men, men, men, all the time! I’m going to plan how Edna (Kiplagat), (Mary) Keitany and I can work together and break (Paula) Radcliffe's record."
- RW Looks At Paula Radcliffe's 2:15 Marathon WR, Which Has Lasted 10 Years Compare that to the men's marathon WR which has been broken 5 times since 2003. Jack Daniels says that based on his "VDOT" tables, the men's record is much weaker. It ranks as the 10th "best" men's WR, while Paula's marathon is tied for the best women's record.
- (Ultra) Marathon On A Track: 39-Year-Old Jon Olsen Breaks 24-Year-Old 100-Mile American Record With 11:59:28 (7:11 Pace) The crazy part is he ran it on an indoor track ... 402 laps.
- Runner Doing Portland Marathon Thankful She Had Stomach Cramps That Forced Her To Walk During The Boston Marathon As She Was Only A Half Mile From The Finish When The Explosions Went Off
Weekend Road/XC Action
- Haile Gebrselassie Going Up Against 2-Time Defending Champ And Commonwealths 10k Bronze Medalist Joseph Birech At Sunday's Great Scottish Run Half Marathon Another top contender is 60:56 half marathoner Emmanuel Bett. Commonwealths marathon champ Irene
Jerotich leads the women's field. British elites include Chris Thompson, Andy Lemoncello and Steph Twell.
*Full Elite Field
- NCAA XC: USTFCCCA In-Depth Weekend NCAA XC Preview: Many Top-Ranked Teams Lining Up At Notre Dame, Paul Short And More
- Ukraine's 9-Time European XC Champ Sergey Lebid Making His Marathon Debut This Weekend At The Lisbon Rock 'N' Roll Marathon He's up against a good field that includes Dadi Yami (2:05:41), Deriba Merga (2:06:38), Elijah Keitany (2:06:51) and John Kiprotich (2:07:08).
- IAAF Preview Of Saturday's Smarna Gora Mountain Running Race, Which Is The Final Of The WMRA Grand Prix Series
- October 20th: World Half Marathon Silver Medalist Deressa Chimsa Added To Field For The Toronto Marathon Chimsa has a 2:05:42 PR and joins a deep field that has 3 sub-2:08 runners.
International Stuff: Want To Win A Free Trip To Monaco?
- Usain Bolt Only #40 On Forbes List Of Highest Paid Athletes Their top 10 include Tiger Woods, Roger Federer, Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, Drew Brees, Phil Mickelson, Aaron Rodgers and David Beckham.
- Want To Go To Monaco? Win A Trip To The 2013 World Athletics Gala In Monaco You can win by predicting the three men's and women's finalists for the IAAF Athlete of the Year Award.
- German Olympians Will Wear Rainbow-Colored Uniforms At 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics They claim it's not a political statement, but many are calling it a "silent protest" against Russian anti-gay laws.
- Paula Radcliffe Will Be On Anti-Doping Conference Panel On October 17th
- Italy Rules Out "Bankrupt" Rome As Bidder For 2024 Olympics Milan on the other hand could be a potential candidate.
US Marathon Champs Are Sunday
- Elite Fields Released For This Weekend's US Marathon Champs At Twin Cities Marathon Men's field led by 2:11 man Nick Arciniaga, 2010 champ Sergio Reyes and three naturalized Americans of Kenyan descent in Shadrack Biwott (3rd at US Half Champs), Joseph Chirlee (2:12 PR) and Josphat Boit. The women's field is led by Meghan Peyton, who will face Atalelech Asfaw (2:33:56) and Wendy Thomas (12 at 2012 OT).
- RRW: Nick Arciniaga Feeling Motivated And Wants To Win His First US Title At Sunday's US Marathon Champs "I've had a couple bad ones in a row now ever since New York was cancelled last year. C.I.M., I was disappointed with, and L.A., so I definitely want to come back with a fury, come out and show myself what I'm capable of."
ING TCS New York City Marathon
- New York City Marathon Gets New Title Sponsor For 2014 Since 2003, the Dutch firm ING had the naming rights and now the Indian firm, Tata Consultancy Services, takes over with an 8-year deal.
*Official Press Release
*MB: New 2014 NYC Marathon title sponsor - OUTSOURCING firm Tata Consulting (India) - the TCS New York City Marathon
Other (Half) Marathon News:
- Britain's Gemma Steel Looking To Regain Her Title At The Bupa Great Birmingham Half Marathon Title On October 20th She's had good success on the roads lately and is hoping to PR and go under 70 minutes.
- Welsh Capital City Of Cardiff Bidding To Host 2016 World Half Marathon Championships This year they're hosting the British Half Champs.
- European Athletics Explains In Great Detail The Course For Last Weekend's 245.3K "Spartathlon" Race That Takes 24 Hours For The Best To Complete
- Desiree Davila Named USATF Athlete Of The Week For Her 5th Place (2:29:15) Showing At The Berlin Marathon
Private Equity - LetsRun Is Profitable Email us
Active.com To Be Bought For $1 Billion Despite Fact It's Never Produced A Profit And Messed Up Both Chicago And Marine Corps Marathon Registrations
- Marine Corps Marathon, Army 10-Miler Will Be Run During Govt. Shutdown
- NYC, Marine Corps Marathons Ban CamelBak-Type Packs
- Olympic Stadium Will Be Refurbished In 2014, So London DL Will Move To Glasgow And A Street Meet Will Be Held In London Instead
- 10 Finalists For IAAF Athlete Of The Year For Men And Women Are Announced *Farah Is On List
*Valerie Adams Is On List
*Bolt, Fraser-Pryce As Well
Bolt To Race On $treet In Bueno$ Aire$ In December Venus and Serena will also play a tennis match.
- Does Soy Decrease Testosterone For Men And Increase Cancer Risk For Women?
- Pat McQuaid Has Been Officially Removed From The List Of Members Of The International Olympic Committee (IOC) Following The Removal From UCI
- Wrestling Is Even Less Popular Than Track 25-Year-Old Jordan Burroughs Has Never Lost An International Match (65 In A Row) And No One Knows Who He Is
At Last, A Rival To Nike's Training Groups?
- B.A.A. To Recruit And Support High Performance Group Sponsored By adidas And Coached By Terrence Mahon We are assuming the adidas-sponsored Morgan Uceny will be a part of it.
*Press Release From BAA:
MB Discussion: Coach Terrence Mahon joins BAA to coach a high performance distance running initiative ?
- More US News: Curtis Anderson Is Pumped That In 2014, Hayward Field Will Host Oregon State Champs, Prefontaine, NCAAs And World Juniors We think it's great Eugene has world juniors but totally think track is over-saturated in Eugene. Have world juniors or NCAAs, not both.
- Jenn Suhr Has Been Enjoying Her Time Off, Boating With Her Husband, But Is "starting to miss my training routine."
- NBC Already Celebrating Record Advertising Yield For Winter Games In Sochi And They Haven't Even Started
- During Doping Ban, Justin Gatlin Was Inspired By Usain Bolt Just Like You And I Are
News From Outside The US
- Inspiring Read: Only In Kenya: Abandoned Mother Of 4 Wins $1,100 At Turkana Cross-Country Championship, Former Cattle Rustler Wins Men's Title
- Discuss: 20-year old Japanese runner Genki Yagisawa runs 13:28 - Chris Derrick only ran 13:29 at at 20
- Q&A With Australia's 21-Year-Old 1:45.44 Man Alexander Rowe The 8th-fastest Aussie ever made the semis of Moscow two years after nearly quitting the sport.
- Sally Pearson Has Set Her First WRecord - 100m With An Egg And Spoon In 16.59 Seconds
- Sunday: Gemma Steel Wins Bupa Great Yorkshire Run In 32:20
- Demand Outstrips Supply For Glasgow Commonwealth 2014 Tickets
- Dwain Chambers Has Completed Charity Climb To The Top Of Mont Blanc In Aid Of The Charity Teens Unite
- IAAF Hires Consulting Company To Increase Exposure To Potential Host Cities For World Champs, XC, Youths, Etc.
Non-Berlin Weekend Action
- Former Worlds 5,000 Silver Medalist Sylvia Kibet Judge Edges Paskalia Kipkoech To Win Carrera de la Mujer 12K In Bogota, Columbia Both women were given the same time of 42:11 for the race, which took place at over 8,000 ft. elevation. Ethiopia's World steeple 4th placer Hiwot Ayalew was back in 5th.
- Japan London Olympian Arata Fujiwara Wins Hokkaido's Hakodate Half Marathon In 1:04:19 Yuki Kawauchi was 4th in 1:04:51.
- Ethiopia's Tigist Tufa Breaks Kim Smith's CR To Win RnR Providence Half Marathon In 1:10:51 She finished 2nd overall, beating all but one male who won in 1:09:00.
- Steven Dikobo And Jenefer Koech Win City To City 50K South African Ultra From Pretoria To Johannesburg
2:11 Man Nick Arciniaga Blogs 1 Week Ahead Of The US Marathon Championships At Twin Cities Marathon Arciniaga talks about setting expectations ahead of marathons and his perspective can serve as some good coaching advice for other aspiring marathoners.
Former Sprinter Valeriy Borzov, Who Won Double Gold For The Soviet Union At The 1972 Games, Offers Usain Bolt Advice On Improving His Start He says Bolt should "change his start position" and when he's in the set position "imagine you are already running." We imagine as a Soviet sprinter in the '70s whose coach has ties to the BALCO scandal, he might have some other advice to offer Bolt as well.
More US Pro News
- Another Elite Putting In Some Time With The Media: Meb Keflezighi Goes For A "Jog" At 15-Minute Pace In Central Park With A Bunch Of Journalists On his plan for the NYC Marathon this year he said, "Plan A is to win. Plan B is to set a personal record."
- Meb Keflezighi Says That Airport Security Personnel Were Very Suspicious Of Him When He Was Flying The Day After The Boston Marathon Bombing He says some fans recognizing him and wanting autographs might have been what saved him from being detained. "When I got to the airport to the security, I felt all eyes were on me," he said.
- Lolo Jones Upset By LSU Football Loss And Goes On "Twitter Rant"
#1 Read On LRC On Friday: Guest Column From A Pro
LRC David Torrence Responds To John Bingham: The Blaming Of The Elites Has To Stop John Bingham recently wrote that the
first pro to show "even a LITTLE interest in the rest of the pack will become a hero overnight." 3:52 miler David Torrence saw that and was spurred to share his story as he's been showing a ton of interest in the back of the pack and is far from a well-recognized hero. *Discuss
What Does The Penguin Say To This? Pros Inspiring The Youth At The 5th Avenue Mile Presented By Nissan
(5th Avenue Photo Gallery Updated)
Athletes In Trouble
- GB TJer Phillips Idowu To Appear In Court On Drunk Driving Charge
- US Olympic Shot Putter Jillian Camarena-Williams Received A 6-Month Ban After Testing Positive For A Banned Substance Found In Her Prescribed Fertility Medication
- Saucony Moves Up To #2 In Specialty Running In August Brooks #1, Asics #3.
- Reebok Signs U.S. Olympian Carrie Tollefson As New Brand Running Ambassador Reebok does not sponsor many current pros at all.
Week That Was
LRC WTW Wilson
Kipsang's WR, How Much Men's Marathoning Has Changed The Last Decade, How Little Women's Marathoning Has, Props To Eliud Kipchoge And Paula R, & College XC Talk We break down Wilson Kipsang's new world record in the marathon,
look at how much men's marathoning has changed in the last ten years, realize how little women's marathoning has changed and give props to Paula Radcliffe. Eliud Kipchoge gets some praise as does Irina Mikitenko and we look at the Oregon men's and Providence women's chances in NCAA XC.
Good News: Patrick Makau's Knee Pain Is Being Caused By Back Problems Says Doctor To The Stars, Full Return Expected The former world record holder's knee pain has been traced to back problems. A lot of you suffering from knee pain might want to look into this.
Race Admin News
- Interesting Idea: Syracuse Looking To Charge For-Profit Companies More To Rent Its Parks For example, one for-profit "Color Run" race that paid $4,000 to use Onondaga Lake Park in May might have to pay $40,000 this coming year.
- Race Organizers Of America, Please Make Your Courses Accurate: Why Should Cross-Country Courses Be Measured Accurately? This article by On Course Rating Systems is talking about XC courses, which can admittedly be hard to measure. But there is no excuse ever for road races being hundreds of meters long or short.
*On Course Rating Systems Website Really cool website that rates XC courses and lets you compare times from well known courses, such as Van Cortlandt Park and Lehigh (Paul Short).
- NY Times: New York City Marathon to Have Tighter Security After Boston Bombings
*1.91m HJer Isobel Pooley Looking Forward To 2014 Commonwealth Games At The 2-Meter Barrier After Coming Back From Injury To PR & Be Top Brit In 2013
*Jessica Ennis And Other GB Olympians Face College Kids At Dodgeball Ennis actually just watched because of her injury.
How Is The Government Shutdown Affecting Runners? Many Running Routes Across The Country Are Inaccessible With National Parks Shutdown & Some Races Might Be Cancelled Even worse, intercollegiate sports at military academies have been suspended, so teams like West Point Cross-Country can't travel to meets and will miss Paul Short this weekend.
*Woodrow Wilson Bridge Half Marathon Forced To Postpone Due To U.S. Government Shutdown
*Sunday's Jersey Shore Half Marathon Will Likely Be Cancelled Due To Government Shutdown
NCAA XC News
NCAA XC Polls: Oregon Vaults From #12 To #4 In National Men's Poll,
Colorado Men Up To #2; Arizona Women Up To #3
Boston College's 19-Year-Old Junior Liv Westphal Is Rising To Prominence Early In 2013 NCAA Cross-Country Season
Daily Relay Analyzes Last Week's Collegiate XC Action: Impressed By #1 Ok. State's Thrashing Of #2 NAU 29 To 57
Previous NCAA XC News: *All College XC Results
- Oregon Men, Providence Women Win At Coast-To-Coast Battle In Beantown As Edward Cheserek Wins His College Cross-Country
Debut The Ducks raced in Boston.
*Men's Results *Women's Results
Boston Meet On The Boards: *Big XC Meet in Boston this Fri: Wisco, Oregon, Syracuse, and more
*University of Oregon: running in Boston this Friday? Why?
- OK State: Oklahoma State Wins At Their Home Cowboy Jamboree Over Kentucky And NAU Texas Tech's 2012 NCAA champ Kennedy Kithuka absolutely dominated, winning by 33 seconds with 23:55.27. On the women's side, Oklahoma State again won with Kentucky getting 2nd by 1 point over NAU with Cally Macumber taking the individual win. *Full
*Stanford Sweeps Home Invite With Both Men And Women's Team And Individual Wins *Men's Results *Women's Results
- Roy Griak: Elvin Kibet Leads Arizona Women To Roy Griak Victory AZ State's Shelby Houlihan won the overall race. *Women's Full Results
*BYU Men Win Roy Griak Over Colorado State BYU was led by individual winner Tylor Thatcher. *Full Men's Results
- Colorado: Colorado XC Men & Women Win In Home Meet In Boulder Colorado's Blake Theroux won, but was trailed only by 1 second by freshman Ben Saarel, running unattached. In the women's race, CU's Carrie Verdon lost to high school senior Elise Cranny (who is coached
by Jason Hartmann).
- XC On The Boards: Cheserek and Leingang go 1-2 for Oregon
*Big XC Meet in Boston this Fri: Wisco, Oregon, Syracuse, and more
*CU Buffs Shootout
*NAU vs. OSU
*What happened at Griak?
*Sean Mcgorty Collegiate Debut
Crazy: Charging Moose Shot At Middle School XC Race In Anchorage, Alaska It was shot and killed by a police officer when it charged at a pack of girl runners on the course. The officer was there watching his daughter race.
Strength Equals Speed: Minnesota 800 Runners Using XC To Get Ready For Track They do the XC workouts, but tailored for mid-d training.
*DyeStat's Doug Binder Shares Some Insight On The Debate Among Minnesota High Schools About Moving The Girls Up To The Same 5k Race Distance As Boys Currently Minnesota is among the minority of states where HS girls race shorter distance in XC; here they do 4k.
The Telegraph: Ben Johnson Evokes Pity, Not A Feeling Of Redemption On Return To Seoul Olympic Stadium One writer shares some good reasons why she feels Ben Johnson is a horrible choice to put as the face of a new anti-doping campaign.
Usain Bolt Renews Puma Sponsorship Deal Through After The 2016 Rio Olympics
*Deal Estimated At $10 Million A Year He'll also reportedly still get $4 million a year after he retires to act as a "Puma ambassador."
- Adam Goucher's Colorado Prep 5K XC Record Broken Cerake Geberkidane ran 14:46.50 to set the unofficial record, breaking Goucher's 14:54.7 time from 1993.
- Updated D1 XC Regional Rankings Not many changes from last week as most teams didn't race.
- Arkansas' Stanley Kebenei And Duke's Juliet Bottorff Are USTFCCA DI Athletes Of The Week Kebenei won the Missouri Southern Stampede in 23:25.75 and Bottorff set a course record of 16:28 at the 5K Adidas XC Challenge.