- Desiree Davila Talks To RW Ahead Of Her Marathon Comeback On Sunday In Berlin; She Hasn't Finished A Marathon Since January 2012 On her goal for Berlin: “Some days I feel like I can run 2:26, some days I think if I break 2:30, I’ll be really happy. At this point, I’m not going to force anything. I don’t need to be a 2:22 person right now. It’s just not realistic. One step at a time.”
- Friday: #1 Ranked Providence Vs #3 Oregon And #9 Cornell At Boston XC Meet
- Updated DI National XC Rankings: No Changes To The Top 7 Men's Teams Or Top 10 Women's
Post-Fifth Avenue Mile News *5th Avenue Mile Results *5th Avenue Mile Photo Gallery
- Morgan Uceny Doesn't Know Where Her Next Permanent Training Base Will Be, But World Indoors Is The Next Big Goal On her 5th Ave. 2nd-place finish, she said, "I ran scared those last 50 meters. I didn't want anyone to catch me. I feel really grateful to feel like myself again. Like I used to." She also talks about her "frustrating" track season and reveals she was anemic when she ran 4:17 at Drake Relays back in April.
- Video Interview With Jenny Simpson After Winning 5th Avenue Mile; Says She Might Run US XC Champs In Boulder This Year
- Malcolm Gladwell Runs 5:03 At Fifth Avenue Mile The best-selling author was 11th in the 50-54 age group.
- Jenny Simpson Talks To Spikes-Mag About Her Top Tips To "Perform When It Counts" "At our level of training, everyone is running many miles each week and doing tough track workouts. I think what helps me to manage the stress of the championships, is I say to myself on the morning of every World Championships: 'you really deserve to be here.'"
- Pre-Race Interview With Aussie Ben St. Lawrence, Who Finished 12th At The 5th Avenue Mile
Assorted International News
- Wouldn't You? Just-Married Couple Leave Their Wedding Party To Snap A Quick Picture With Usain Bolt Bolt sent out the photo and the message: "Only in Paris you walking in the square and the bride and groom run leave to the proceedings to to take a picture."
- Disgraceful: Italian Distance Runner Tried To Use A Fake Penis To Pass A Doping Test Devis Licciardi won the Italian road 10k champs and tried to use the fake to pass off clean urine.
- Athletics Kenya Special General Meeting Scheduled For Friday Postponed Because Of Terrorist Attack On Mall It has been rescheduled for October 10th.
- Reid Coolsaet (29:50) And Lanni Marchant (34:07) Win Canadian Road 10k Titles
- SP World Champ Valerie Adams To Undergo Knee And Ankle Surgery She says she's been having problems with it for years and almost could have pulled the plug on her season in June, but has been relying on cortisone shots to get through the pain.
- Jamaica's 110H Olympic Bronze Medallist Hansle Parchment Says He's Almost Recovered From The Injury That Kept Him Out Of The Final In Moscow
Big Road Action This Weekend *5th Avenue Mile Results *5th Avenue Mile Photo Gallery
Sunday: 5th Avenue Mile: Jenny Simpson And Nick Willis Dominate The favorites prevailed at the 2013 5th Avenue Mile
by Nissan. Jenny Simpson, the World Champs silver medallist, crushed the field. Nick Willis, who had the top 2013 time on the men's side coming in, pulled away after the three-quarter-mile mark. *LRC Photo Gallery
5th Avenue Mile Discussion:
- Alan Webb And Shalane Flanagan Talk About The Volunteer Coaching They're Doing With The Portland State XC Team Flanagan: "I feel what I do 90 percent of the year is all about me. When I do have some downtime it's really nice to do something that takes me out of by own, little bubble and my own world. This invigorates me, and takes me back to the place where it all started."
- Video: Two Kids Stoked To Have Mo Farah's Hat, Which He Threw Off During The Great North Run They were concerned that they caused Farah to lose by taking time to throw them his hat, but Farah's agent assured them the gesture didn't cost him any time.
- $145,000 At Stake In USA Men's & Women's Marathon Championships On October 6th At The Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon Shadrack Biwott and Josphat Boit headline the men's field with Adriana Nelson and Meghan Peyton in the women's.
- Running USA's 2013 State Of The Sport - Part IV: Largest Road Races Peachtree Road Race 10K kept its #1 U.S. timed ranking for the 4th straight year with 58,043 finishers, which was the largest number ever fully timed for a 10K.
NCAA XC *All Weekend NCCA Results
- University Of Oklahoma Beats #5 Arkansas And #6 Tulsa At Southern Stampede XC Invy
- 4th-Ranked Duke Women Win Adidas XC Challenge With Grad Student Juliet Bottorff Leading The Way With A 16:28 CR
- Arizona Sweeps Home Cross-Country Meet
- LSU XC Invite Cancelled Because Of Rain
Pre-5th Avenue Mile News
- Pre Race: End-Of-Season Fifth Avenue Mile Has A Different Feel To It - It's Both A Competition And Celebration
- Big Moves For Shannon Rowbury, Whose Boyfriend Proposed To Her In London This Summer And Is Moving To Portland To Be Coached By Alberto Salazar She's racing the 5th Avenue Mile today and then going to search for wedding dresses with Kleinfeld Bridal (of Say Yes to the Dress fame).
- Morgan Uceny Returns To US To Race 5th Avenue - Has Bags Packed As She's Not Going Back To UK Now That Terrence Mahon Is Out As UK Coach
European-Athletics: "How Yelena Isinbayeva showed she is far from finished" She gave a lot of credit to her coach Yefgeny Trofimov, saying, "It is all thanks to him, he is a genius, he helped me get my world title back."
LRC After Just One Year On The Job, Terrence Mahon Is Out As UK National Distance Coach He's returning to the US and the question naturally becomes,
"Why did he leave and what's next for Mahon?" Mahon has emailed and said Uceny and Willard will both soon doing altitude training in Mammoth with support from the Mammoth TC.
*RRW Morgan Uceny Coming Back To USA To Train Under Terrence Mahon link fixed
*The Times: UK Athletics in a state of flux with exit of Terrence Mahon
*Athletics Weekly: Terrence Mahon to leave UKA
MB: After one year on the job, Terrence Mahon is out as UK national distance coach and will return to US
- Glasgow Herald Writer On Farah/Bolt 600-Meter Clash: "It worries me that this is what track & field evidently feels it has to resort to in order to grab attention of the public." This race probably won't happen, but if it did, would non-track fans even care? We'd like to see it for the same reason we'd like to see Bolt race David Rudisha over 400.
- Usain Bolt: "I stay away from dating 'English ladies' for fear of appearing in the British press." Bolt said, "Over the years I've got into trouble three times after liking English ladies. All of sudden I'm the paper, my whole story is in the paper, so I've taken note of you English ladies, so I'm very careful. I stay away from English ladies."
- Jamaica's World 200 Silver Medalist Warren Weir Says He Felt A Lot Of Pressure Going Into Moscow To Prove That His Bronze From The Olympics Wasn't A Fluke
Lighting Bolt News: Bolt Says He Might Not Retire After Rio 2016
- Video: Usain Bolt Reconsidering Plans To Retire After 2016 Olympics Because Of His Fans' Reaction To The News "I am definitely reconsidering [retiring after 2016]. I think my fans especially have really voiced their concern about me retiring."
- Usain Bolt Says He Would Probably Only Run The 200m If He Decides To Compete At The 2014 Commonwealth Games Some random side notes: he says he now avoids dating "English ladies" because he always ends up in the paper, he doesn't like politics, and he wouldn't want to be a coach because he knows athletes can make you crazy.
- Usain Bolt, A Big-Time Manchester United Fan, Does Puma Ad With Rival Team Manchester City's Star Player Sergio Aguero Afterwards, Aguero said, "[Bolt] showed some skills though. He is not good enough to play for City, but I think he would have a good chance of getting into the United team."
- Bolt Says He Thinks 9.4 Is Possible
- Oklahoma State Men & Providence Women Stay No. 1 In Updated National XC Rankings
- USTFCCCA Weekend NCAA XC Preview: #5 Arkansas And #6 Tulsa Men Will Race At Saturday's Missouri Southern Stampede
Competitor Group Still Making News
Competitor Group To Get $125,000 In Corporate Welfare From City Of Raleigh
Pat Rizzo: Why I Ran RnR Philly And How I Will Deal With CGI In The Future Rizzo already had planned to use the race as his final prep before Twin Cities. However, in the future, he won't be participating as he's irate that the company that he's worked for as an UNPAID volunteer for years is knifing the sport in the back.
*MB: Labor lawyers: How is it legal for Competitor Group to use volunteers without paying minimum wage at races?
Doping News From Jamaica
- Jamaican Prime Minister Reassures World Anti-Doping Agency That Drug Testing Will Be A Big Priority
- Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Said Many Athletes Believed She Was On Drugs This Season "Some thought I was on drugs for me to have done what I did. ... How I can have such a long season and still go at the end of the season and run so fast?"
- We 100% Agree: 14-Year-Old 200m English Schools Champion Says Drug Cheats Are "Shameful" And Should Immediately Be Given Lifetime Bans
- Russian Athletics Federation Handed Down Two-Year Bans To Long Jumper Tatiana Kotova And Hammer Thrower Kirill Ikonnikov The 36-year-old Kotova was the 2000 and 2004 Olympic LJ third placer and is getting banned for a test of her 2005 WChamps sample.
- MB: Boston sells out - 65% of registrants female
- L.A. County Supervisors Unanimously Vote To Urge The United States' Olympic Committee To Support 2024 LA Bid
- 2013 European 60m Champ Tezdzhan Naimova Banned For Life For 2nd Doping Offense
- New IOC President Receives Warm Welcome At New Office
- *Germany's Thomas Bach Has Moved Into His New Office As IOC Head
- New Australian Prime Minister Promotes Sport To Cabinet Level Responsibility For Health Minister
- 14 Affiliiates Walk Out Of Athletics Kenya Reconciliation Meeting
- Sports, Arts And Culture Cabinet Secretary In Kenya Tells Warring Factions In Athletics Kenya To Settle Their Differences
- Fraser-Pryce's Pocket Rocket Foundation Hands Out Seven Scholarships To Student Athletes
*SFP's Scholarships Were More Than $980 Each
Elites In The News
Column: 3 Years Ago, Ryan Gregon And Andrew Wheating Seemed To Be The Future Of Middle Distance - What Happened?
*MB: Webb = a runner of sporadic brilliance? Are you joking Mr. Len Johnson?
Ezekiel Kemboi To Retire After 2016 Games We guess this means he's not moving up to the marathon?
Former Olympic And World 400H Champ Melaine Walker To Be Inducted In Texas Athletic Hall Of Fame
Speaking Of Elites, Do Elites Matter?
- Toni Reavis: The Slowing Down And Dumbing Down Of American Running Culture Nowadays, even Boston qualifiers have no connection to the elites.
Agent Brendan Reilley: "I think we've had too many years of the John Bingham (Waddle On, Penguins) philosophy. John is a nice guy, a very entertaining and eloquent speaker, but there seems to be little in the sport these days to carry the runners that John has gotten off the couch to the next level of aiming to run faster and treat our events like RACES."
*Bingham Responds In Comments Section: "I guarantee that the first 'elite' to show even a LITTLE interest in the rest of the pack will become a hero overnight."
MB: How to justify competitive running at the amateur/hobbyjogger level?
- More Toni Reavis: Races Need To Stop Hiring "Fast People With No Entertainment Value"
- The "Big 5" Think So: PRRO Offering New $24,000 "Bump Up" Bonus For Next Season A runner who wins Peachtree plus one of the following four races (while being top 3 in the other 3) - World's Best, Bloomsday, Boilermaker, Cherry Blossom - will win a $24,000 bonus.
- Seems Like Elite Athlete Support To Us; Maybe They Need A New PR Person Rock 'N' Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Paid For Travel For 16 Athletes, Hotels For 14 More And Comped 90 Entries And Paid Prize Money
One Of The Biggest Doping Scandals In The Sport Was 25 Years Ago Yesterday
- Drug Cheat Ben Johnson Returns To Seoul Olympic Stadium 25 Years After He Was DQ'd For Doping After Winning The 100 Final In 9.79 “25 years ago, I was here as an athlete who cheated, but today I stand here as an anti-doping campaigner and I’m proud to be able to say that.”
- Johnson: "There's people who murder and rape people, go to jail and get out. I just break the rules in sport and I've been nailed to the cross." He claims that 25 years later he's "still being punished".
- Johnson: "This is where history was made. Some might call it bad history, but I don't see it that way." He also continues to repeat that he thinks he would have won the Olympics even without drugs.
- Interesting: Photographer Who Had Special Access To Johnson During The 1988 Games (And Also Took Photos Of Bolt In 2012) Recalls His Experience Photographer Gary Hershorn recounts how he gained Johnson's trust by not snapping a picture of him when he dropped his shorts on the training track as a way of testing the photographer.
- Should American Calvin Smith Have Been The 100m Olympic Champ And WR Holder In 1988? He finished 4th place and was one of only 2 from the final who never had a connection with drugs.
- Sports Journalist From 1988 Recalls His Sleepless Night When He Found Out About Johnson's Positive Test At 3AM When He Was Drunk
- A List Of Some Major Sprinting Doping Scandals Since Ben Johnson The long list includes a lot of names from the BALCO scandal.
- Video press conference with Ben Johnson who returns to Seoul for anti-doping campaign
- AW Talks To Director Of 9.79* Documentary Who Interviewed All 8 Sprinters From The "Dirtiest Race In History" Includes trailer for the movie.
- Marketing Experts Says Johnson Scandal Stunted The Sport's Commercial Growth
- Interesting Read: Wilson Kipsang Going For The WR At Sunday's Berlin Marathon; Talks About Paying Athletes To Pace Workouts And How Some Elites Sabotaged The Pacing In London This Year On London, he said, "I'm sorry to say so but some elite runners interfere with pace making for their own selfish ends and to spoil for others. It happened in London this year when after agreeing on the pace; some athletes pushed the pacemakers so much. Between the 20km to 25km split, the pace was well below the world record and this is not what we had discussed and agreed. I'm bringing Edwin [to Berlin] because I trust him and he knows how I run. ... I'm not taking chances."
- Ryan Hall Blogs From Kenya About Meeting Sammy Wanjiru's Old Coach And Gives Some More Validity To The Stereotype About Kenyans Having Inaccurate Ages He asked a brother and sister he was having dinner with how old they were and the brother said 29 until he had a 5-minute argument with his sister and changed his answer to 32.
- Pamela Anderson Admits She Hasn't Really Done Much Training Ahead Of Her First Marathon At NYC Anderson: "I've never been a runner. I've never even run across the street hardly before. ... I don't even really know how long it takes to run the marathon. To keep it under 15 minutes a mile would be my first goal."
- Defending Champion Meselech Melkamu (2:21:01) Leads Field For This Year's Frankfurt Marathon She faces 3 other sub-2:22 marathoners in Tirfi Tsegaye, Eunice Jepkurui and Mamitu Daska. 2011 Boston Marathon champ Caroline Kilel is also in the field.
- Paralympic Sprint Champion Richard Whitehead Runs 40 Marathons In 40 Days Whitehead is the first leg amputee to run under 3 hours in the marathon with a PR of 2:42:54.
- A Rough Year For Marathons: Boulder Marathon Cancelled Due To Flooding
- RW Q&A With B.A.A. Executive Director Tom Grilk and Boston Marathon Race Director Dave McGillivray About The Field Size For The 2014 Race
US 5k Champs *CVS Downtown 5k Results *Cow Harbor 10k Results
Huddle And Bumbalough Win US 5k Titles At CVS Downtown 5k In Providence Molly Huddle prevailed over Emily Infeld and Alexi Pappas in a three-way sprint.
On the men's side, Andrew Bumbalough was clearly best in the sprint ahead of Aaron Braun. Matt Tegenkamp was third and Chris Solinsky 10th. *Race Video *MB: 2013 CVS 5K Discussion - Who you've got? Bumby, Teg,
Solinsky, Braun or Chelanga? Huddle or Infeld?
Fernando Cabada And Mattie Suver Prevail At 2013 Great Cow Harbor 10-K 4-time champ Mo Trafeh was only 8th.
*MB: Cabada wins Cow Harbor 10k - 29:32
Other Weekend Action: Geoffrey Mutai Runs His 3rd Sub-Hour Half Of The Year
- Geoffrey Mutai Warms Up For NYC Marathon By Winning The Udine Half Marathon In 59:06 Kenyan Goretti Jepkoech won the women's race in 1:10:06.
- World Champs 10k 8th Placer Nguse Amlosom Gets The Surprise Win At Dam tot Damloop 10 Mile In 45:28 Over A Field That Included Leonard Komon & Peter Kirui Kirui was 3rd while Komen was way back in 5th in 46:32. Joyce Chepkirui just beat out Filomena Chepchirchir as they both finished with the same time of 51:33; Sylvia and Hilda Kibet were third and fourth in the women's race in 52:06 and 52:51.
- Ethiopia's Ketema Nigusse (2:13:23) Wins Close Race Over Kenya's Evans Kipkorir Taiget (2:13:28) At The Siberian Marathon Russia's Yevgeniya Danilova won the women's race in 2:31:50 over Ethiopian Meseret Mengistu (2:32:00).
- Stephen Mokoka (1:02:45) And Rene Kalmer Defend Their South African Half Marathon Titles
- Jonathan Ndiku And Grace Kimanzi Win National Corporate Champs 5,000s
- World Champs 10,000 Bronze Medalist Paul Tanui Wins Japan Corporate Champs 10k In 27:26 Doricah Obare won the women's race in 32:02.
Sprinters In The News
- Are There Two More Hated Drug Cheats? Ben Johnson Says He Feels Sympathy For Lance Armstrong Johnson: "We all make mistakes in life. I feel for him. Hopefully he will overcome the situation - but it's going to be tough for quite a while. I should know. It's a situation you have to live with all the time. I wish him the best."
- In His Autobiography, Usain Bolt Says His 2009 Car Wreck Gave Him A New Perspective On Life And Brought Him Closer To God In that crash, he walked away with minor injuries after losing control of and wrecking his BMW M3.
- Jamaican Writer Laments No One In Jamaica Jumped On The Coconut Water Bandwagon For some, coconut water is the new Gatorade, and since a lot of it comes out of Jamaica, this writer thinks they should have branded it with athletes like Bolt and Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce.
- Drug Cheat Ben Johnson Returns To The Site Of His Downfall, Lane 6 Of The Seoul Olympic Stadium, To Promote His Anti-Doping Campaign Even 25 years later, Johnson still can't seem to figure out if he's sorry or not. One minute he's all apologies, then he's throwing out statements like this: "You can see the politics at play, and it's not fair for the athletes, because we're the ones who make the sports. We are the ones who train, who spill our guts out and sweat blood for so many years. When something happens and somebody tests positive, then the heat is on me and I take the blame for everybody else."
- The Telegraph: What Happened To The Athletes From The 1988 Olympic 100 Final And Where Are They Now? Of the eight finalists, only two have not been tainted by drugs.
- December Doping Hearing Dates Set For 3 Jamaicans
Some Entertainment For The Weekend
LRC LRCers In The Real World #1: Rojo Calls Into America's Top Sports Radio Station, Host Says On Rojo Analysis, "On a stupid scale of 1 to a 100, that's at least a 99." Was Rojo Proven Wrong For The First Time Ever? The intersection of the running world and the real world
fascinates us. With that
in mind, we present to you a new ground-breaking investigative series on LetsRun.com: LRCers in the Real World. We lead off with LRC founder Robert Johnson (Rojo) calling
into America's Top Sports Radio Station and trying to break down the Dallas Cowboys Week 1 win over the Giants. It gets interesting real quick. Did Rojo prove on the air what some of you have long suspected - that he's an idiot? Or would his genius be secretly revealed?
More Friday Entertainment From The Boards:
*Rocky Balboa ran 30 miles during "Rocky II" training scene. Explained and detailed
*Triathlete punches woman en route to win!!!
*The best peanut butter is...
Marathon News: Where Will 2016 US Marathon Trials Be?
- Cincinnati, Houston And Los Angles The Three Finalists Bidding To Host The 2016 Olympic Marathon Trials
- Good Read: Daily Relay Q&A With Jason Hartmann Hartmann shares that he thinks his best marathon was when he won the 2009 Twin Cities not long after coming off 12 weeks in a boot for a stress fracture and gives some interesting insight into his relationship with Dathan Ritzenhein, who was his high school teammate.
- World Marathon Majors Fall Preview: Berlin, Chicago, NYC
- World Steeplechase Champion Micah Chemos Wants To Move To The Marathon After Rio 2016 She'll be running her half marathon debut at this December's Baringo Half Marathon in Kenya.
Coming Soon / 2013 New York City Field Announced
- Coming November 6, 2013: LRC Geoffrey Mutai, The Fastest Marathoner In History, Will Battle World And Olympic Champ Stephen Kiprotich And Ryan And Meb At 2013 ING New York City The NYRR released the whole field and we give you stats on everyone and break it down for you.
- LRC The Top Two Women's Marathoners In The World, Priscah Jeptoo And Edna Kiplagat, To Clash At 2013 ING New York City Marathon - Kara Goucher Is Out With Injury The women's race in New York should be stellar as the London champ will clash with the former NY champ and current two-time World Champ. Plus, will Croatia's Lisa Stublic be the top American? ... Yes, we wrote that on purpose.
- RR: Kara Goucher's Blog Post On Pulling Out Of NYC: "Letting Go Of A Dream" "I will continue my 100+ miles a week running on my AlterG treadmill and keep thinking about one special moment at the 2008 Olympic games when Constantina Dita of Romania became the Olympic Marathon Champion at the age of 38. You see, I will be 38 in Rio 2016. And I still believe."
*MB: Discussion of New York City Marathon elite fields - Mutai vs. Kiprotich (plus Meb and Ryan) and Jeptoo vs. E. Kiplagat - No K. G
*MB: Kara Goucher OUT of 2013 New York City Marathon
- NYRR Profile Piece On Japan "Citizen Runner" Yuki Kawauchi, Who Is Racing NYC This Year We guess NYRR is trying to reach out to non-runners by comparing Kawauchi to a one-man football team since he's one of few Japanese runners to not run for a corporate team.
- Next Month: Desiree Davila Excited To Return To Marathon In Berlin - Hopefully The First Marathon She Finishes In 20 Months
- Friday: 8th [email protected] Day And 2nd Annual [email protected] Is Friday, September 20, 2013
- Sunday: Elite Field For Sunday's CVS Caremark Downtown 5K - Cragg, Tegenkamp, Solinsky, Huddle And Hastings To Headline Two sub-13:00 guys. Not bad.
MB: 2013 CVS 5K Discussion - Who you've got? Bumby, Teg, Solinsky, Braun or Chelanga? Huddle or Infeld?
1964 Olympics In Tokyo Were Held In October, But Will Be In August In 2020 - Will It Be Too Hot? The average high is 87.8 F (31 C). *Avg Temperature In Tokyo By Month
USA Today's Amazing Races To Run Before You Die Mesa Falls Marathon in Ashton, Idaho, the Emerald Run, the Emerald Nuts Midnight Run and Honolulu Marathon are the only US races.
Interesting Masters News
- Profile Of Ed Whitlock - The 82-Year-Old Reluctant Hero Of The Marathon, Who Is Racing 2013 Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon Next Month Also racing is 64-year-old Yoshihisa Hosaka, who will go for 2:42:44 record.
MB: Wow: Ed Whitlock has run a 1:38:11 half-marathon at age 82
- New Goal For Masters Sprinters - The 400 Meters Run-Your-Age Club
Random News, But These Links Make The Cut On A Slow Thursday
- Two African Javelin Throwers (One Egyptian, One Kenyan) Were in Top 8 At Worlds Thanks To Finnish Coach Petteri Piironen
- Blessing Okagbare Thanks Nigerian Governor For Making Her Success Possible - Says Best Is Yet To Come
- UK Athletics "Getting Creative" With Ways To Get Athletics Into The Inner City With The Launch Of A Compact Athletics
- 30th IAAF Inside Athletics: Ato Boldon Talks To Pole Vault Legend And World Record Holder Sergey Bubka
- 2014 Japanese Track Nationals To Be Held In Fukushima
Action We Missed
- 113 Days After Giving Birth, 2008 And 2012 Olympic Javelin Champ Barbora Spotakova Is Competing Well We're more impressed that she won the Olympics in August and had a baby in May.
- From Last Weekend: Dylan Wykes And Lioudmila Kortchaguina Won $1,800 For Running 29:42 And 33:57 Last Weekend
- 5 Days Ago On Our World-Famous Message Boards: Shannon Rowbury to OREGON PROJECT!
- Want To Be A World Champion? The Telegraph Shares What They Believe Are The "9 Key Elements" Of Mo Farah's Running Form That Make Him So Fast Results came from biomechanics experts from the University of Oxford and look at everything from foot strike to arm position.
- Video: How To Run Like Mo Farah Dr. Jessica Leitch cautions, though, that "There is no right way to run, neither is there a one size fits all solution for optimal running gait. What works for Mo might not work for everyone and may even lead to injury."
- David Rudisha's Coach Colm O'Connell Talks About Doping: "Of course they're always the, I use the word 'mediocre,' ones who use to try and get the extra edge." No, we're pretty sure even many of the top guys are looking for "an edge."
- Quadruple The Fun: UK's Triathlon World Champ Non Stanford Thinking About Doubling Triathlon-10,000 At 2014 Commonwealth Games She ran a 32:39 10k in March, which is under the Commonwealth Games "A" standard, but the qualifying window didn't open until April.
- Future Pro? DyeStat Article On High School Junior Alana Hadley, Who Is Passing On Her XC Season To Focus On Making The Olympic Trials Marathon For 2016 She's running 100-110 miles/week and will be going for the 2:43 "B" standard at the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon on Nov. 2. The youngest
everMarathon OT competitor in 2012 was 22.
Random But Interesting
- Man Who Was Evicted For 1964 Tokyo Olympics To Be Evicted Again For 2020 OlympicsHe is being evicted, as his apartment complex is being demolished for the Olympic stadium. The same thing happened to him back in 1964. Hard to blame him when he says, "I have a kind of grudge against the Olympics."
- How Many Times Have You Heard The Old "I Couldn't Drive As Far As You Run"? Well, If Someone Said That To You In Moscow, They Might Be Right Data shows that on a Friday night, sub-3 hour marathoners could outrun traffic in Moscow, as drivers would need more than 3 hours to cover the 26.2 mile route.
- The Bahamas To Spend $3.5 Million To Host The IAAF World Relays In 2014 And 2015 If you haven't heard previously, the relay races will include the 4 x 100m, 4 x 200m, 4 x 400m, 4 x 800m and 4 x 1,500m ... no DMR.
- Interesting: A Pictorial History Of adidas Shoes
Usain Bolt Renews Puma Sponsorship Deal Through After The 2016 Rio Olympics
*Deal Estimated At $10 Million A Year He'll also reportedly still get $4 million a year after he retires to act as a "Puma ambassador"
- Adam Goucher's Colorado Prep 5K XC Record Broken Cerake Geberkidane ran 14:46.50 to set the unofficial record, breaking Goucher's 14:54.7 time from 1993.
- Updated D1 XC Regional Rankings Not many changes from last week as most teams didn't race.
- Arkansas' Stanley Kebenei And Duke's Juliet Bottorff Are USTFCCA DI Athletes Of The Week Kebenei won the Missouri Southern Stampede in 23:25.75 and Bottorff set a course record of 16:28 at the 5K Adidas XC Challenge.
Where Is The "Sport" Headed?
Good Read: "The Festivalization Of Sport": Toni Reavis Adds To WSJ Article On How The "Everyone's A Winner" Mentality Is Taking Over And The Latest Generation Of Runners Are Less Competitive "But with the advent of the first Rock 'n' Roll Marathon in San Diego in 1998, we began to see the Lebow-anticipated devolution toward the participation-based completion model. ... accordingly, we have seen the gap between elite and also-ran grow to a black-hole depth as the linking ground of effort has been allowed to go fallow."
Recommended Read: WSJ Article On How Today's Generation Of "Runners" Are Slower, Don't Run Hard And Are "Turning Some Races Into Parades" Article includes a quote from LRC's Rojo: "If you're going to get just as much praise for doing a four-hour marathon as a three-hour, why bother killing yourself training? It's hard to do well in a marathon if your idea of a long session is watching season four of 'The Wire.'"
Doping: 7 Tested Positive At Worlds In Moscow
- 7 Athletes Failed Drug Tests At Moscow World Champs: Guatemala's Jeremías Saloj Was 33rd In The Marathon; Ukraine's Roman Avramenko Was 5th In The Jav The other athletes were Massoud Azizi (Afghanistan, men's 100m), Elyzaveta Bryzgina (Ukraine, women's 200m), Ayman Kozhakhmetova (Kazakhstan, women's 20km walk), Ebrahim Rahimian
(Iran, men's 20km walk) and Yelena Ryabova (Turkmenistan, women's 200m).
*IAAF Says 1,919 Athlete Blood Samples Were Taken At Moscow World Champs
- Ben Johnson Is The Face Of A New Anti-Doping Campaign, But Some Of His Quotes Make It Seem Like He Thinks It's A Dopers Support Group Johnson says he's "... trying to help future generations and future athletes, athletes of my calibre, who have tested positive, been in the same boat as me, trying to help them and say you're not alone." Is he going to pat them on the back and say, "It's OK"? It's not OK.
- Telegraph's List Of The 10 Biggest Sports Cheats Ever This list comes out to mark the release of 9.79*, a documentary about the infamous 100 final at the 1988 Seoul Olympics, or the "dirtiest race in history."
Week In Review
LRC WTW: A Special Great North Run, Kenenisa Bekele Is Back, US 1,500 Women Rule, And Has Haile Gebrselassie Learned The Error Of His Ways? We span the globe starting with some tremendous road racing between Kenenisa Bekele, Mo Farah and Haile Gebrselassie in the UK. We look at the US 1,500m women, Bernie Montoya, and throw in some drug news as well.
- NO KIDDING! Guy Who Has Become Famous For Running With A Refrigerator On His Back Hospitalized With Spinal Injuries
- Photo Exhibit This April Will Feature Tattoos Inspired By 2013 Boston Marathon
- Former Athletics South Africa Board Member Had Her Lifetime Ban Lifted For Her Role In Caster Semenya's Original Gender Tests Before 2009 Worlds sports.espn.go.com Laraine Lane was banned for lying about the tests done on Semenya before Berlin 2009, but Lane argued she was unfairly punished.
- This S#!+ Is Still Going On? Leyton Orient Soccer Team Refused Judicial Review In Bid To Ground Share Olympic Stadium With West Ham If the horse is dead, get off.
- Japanese Prime Minister Abe Reiterates Commitment To Safe Olympics And Orders Scrapping Of Surviving Fukushima Reactors
*Wood Report - In-Season Women's Poll #1 - Cornell Up To #9
*Wood Report - In-Season Men's Poll #1 - Oregon Vaults To #2
Your Votes Are InLRC Oklahoma State A Heavy #1 On Men's Side, Duke And Providence Up Top On Women's The LRC faithful have weighed in via the LRC Super Fan XC Polls and Dave Smith's Oklahoma State Cowboys are heavy favorites for the NCAA crown with little separating NAU and Colorado in second and third. On the women's side, Duke is #1, with Providence actually getting more first place votes, with Oregon at #3. Regional and national poll results.
LRC Archives: *Re-Live NCAA XCs 2012 *NCAA 2012 XC Photo Gallery
It's Official: Shannon Rowbury To Be Coached By Alberto Salazar Her previous coach John Cook is retiring, so Rowbury will move to coach Salazar. LRCers might have already known this.
Sad News: Devastating Flooding In Boulder
- Mike Sandrock Shares His Observations After A Run Through Flood-Devastated Boulder Where Many Have Lost Homes And Popular Running Trails Have Been Washed Away Sandrock did his run with 1989/1990 Foot Locker Champ and former NCAA champion Melody Fairchild and ran into Mark Wetmore along the way, who had to walk to town and back in order to coach.
- Good Read: Melody Fairchild Blogs About Her Emotional Run Through Boulder Trails To See If The Childhood Home She Grew Up In Was Still Standing In The Wake Of The Floods "Today, as I ran against the force of the water, I felt so small, and my long run to see the results of Mother Nature's power made me bow down to her in reverence, and with complete surrender. ... I went as far as I could safely go and then started climbing."
- NYC All Over Again: Boulder Marathon (Scheduled For This Sunday) Postponed Due To Extreme Flooding The flooding has caused 6 deaths and one thousand remain unaccounted for.
- Jason Hartmann Tweets About Training In Boulder Flooding www.nyrr.org "Crazy doing a tempo and having national guard helicopters flying over you while doing it. #ingnycm"
First Full Week In September = NCAA XC Begins In Earnest - *All College XC Results For This Weekend
*MB: Abbey D wins 2013 Opener at Dartmouth Invitational by 51 seconds - Sam Chelanga wins men's race
*BYU Men Beat Portland 25 To 33 In Utah Cross-Country Meet
*Reigning NCAA Champ Kennedy Kithuka Wins By More Than A Minute
*#10 Cornell Women Take Top 15 Spots In Rout
*MB: Harvard Sweeps Yale 1-2-3-4-5 in 100th meeting between two, H Women dominate as well All time, it's now H 60, Y 40.
*MB: Question about #7 Wisconsin @ Indiana State dual meet Saturday
Inspiring Read: Vanderbilt Coach Steve Keith Is Fighting For His Life Against Cancer
*Bad News: Megan Goethals Out For The Year With Femoral Stress Fracture
*100th Harvard-Yale XC Clash Is This Weekend Harvard leads 59 to 40.
*5 Minutes With #2 Duke Coach Kevin Jermyn