DecaNations: Nick Symmonds Keeps Winning, USA Wins, As Does Alysia Montano 1:49 and 2:00 for Symmonds and Montano as you see what happens when there are no rabbits.
Amsterdam: Susan Kuijken Sets Dutch Record At 2,000m At Flame Games translate.google.com She beat Zoe Buckman among others. Ben True, Miles Batty, Ryan Hill in 1,500. Kerron Clement won the 400 in 46.70. Caster Semenya 2:04 and Phoebe Wright 2:04.
Flame Game Results
Lille Half Marathon Results
Negative (Doping) News
- Competitor Group Is Officially A Joke Competitor Group (Rock N Roll Races, Muddy Buddy, NFLRunSeries) Eliminates Any And All Support Of Elite Athlete Fields, Including Appearance Fees, Travel And Lodging updated They are owned by a private equity group and they say it's better for businesses not to waste money having pro fields (apparently $475,000) and keeping the money for themselves. What's
ridiculous is that elite athletes for the Philly Half Marathon on September 15th will not have their appearance fees honored nor their travel. We're all for private enterprise, but the Competitor Group is a private equity group that profits at the public's expense. It relies not only on VOLUNTEERS and the government shutting down roads, but on millions of dollars (more here,
here, here) of government tax dollars going directly to Competitor Group. We believe with such dollars comes some obligation to inspire a future generation of runners by supporting the (top end of the) sport just a little. The only way to fight back is by
ANY of their events and using your influence to encourage your friends not to run any of their events: all the Rock N Roll Races, all the NFLRunSeries Events, Muddy Buddy events and more. For a group like Competitor, $500,000 is a drop in the bucket. If this will hurt their bottom line they will change course. Vote with your feet. *Original
Discuss: *Competitor drops support for elite athletes immediately
*I support Competitor group's decision to withdraw support for Elite Athletes
*Competitor ditching the elites is a blessing in disguise b/c I'm sick of watching our runners get paid to "race"
- Scammer Poses As Ezekiel Kemboi On Facebook To Cheat Kenyans Out Of Money
- Conspiracy Or Just Neurotic? President Of The Athletic Federation Of Nigeria Claims Blessing Okagbare Was The Victim Of "Russian Politics" At Worlds Claims that the Russians altered the schedule purposely to give their athlete the advantage in the LJ because they knew Okagbare was tripling 100-200-LJ. He even said that if she was American, it never would have happened.
- Not Kidding Anyone: NBA Star David Lee Says NBA Drug Testing Is "Very Thorough" And That No One Tests Positive Because Players Are Simply Staying Clean Meanwhile, players know that they're only tested 4 times a year and after the 4th test they can do whatever they want without fear of testing.
- NY Times Ethicist Makes An Interesting, Yet Flawed, Case Against The Use Of PEDs In Sports He feels that "there are no sound moral arguments against P.E.D.s," but there are "ethical" ones, so while there are no "logical" reason PEDs should be illegal, athletes shouldn't use them because it's the rules.
- Former USATF Head Doug Logan Continues To Argue That PEDs Should Be Legalized And Claims WADA Is Nowhere Close To Delivering A Drug-Free Sport Logan: "We should face facts over this drug issue. It is a war we are unable and unwilling to fight and that we have already lost. We selectively prosecute a token few while the majority of users get off scot free."
- Fit & Healthy 23-Year-Old Collapsed And Died During The April Brighton Marathon Due To A "Perfect Storm" Reaction Of Sports Supplements And Ibuprofen
Diamond League Finale #1 - Weltklasse Zürich *Full Results *Event-By-Event Results (With Progressions/Splits)
Share With A Less Informed Friend Who Didn't Watch Live: Watch Zurich Races Without Knowing The Results
LRC W 5k: Defar Outkicks Dibaba For $50,000; Simpson PRs Meseret Defar threw down a 58-second last lap to outkick Tirunesh Dibaba and take home $50,000 in 14:32. The side race between Molly Huddle and Jenny Simpson was a bit of a let-down, although Simpson walked away with a PR as both Americans went sub-15:00. Chelsea Reilly also came away with a PR and Jordan Hasay struggled and got lapped. *Video Highlights
MB: DEFAR last lap 58 sec --> 14'06" potential !!!
MB: Zurich women's 5000m thread: Jenny, Huddle, Hasay on now
MB: Why the heck is Jordan Hasay still racing?
MB: Jenny MF Simpson 14:56
LRC M 1,500: Silas Kiplagat Reminds Us He's Very Good As Kiprop, Centrowitz, Manzano Struggle When races are rabbitted on the circuit, normally Asbel Kiprop or Silas Kiplagat get the win and that certainly was the case tonight, which wasn't a good one for Leo, Centro or World Champ Asbel Kiprop. *Race Video
MB: Centro- Did he follow Kip @ Zurich, to better learn his Gold rival?
MB: Ingebrigtsen the Great Nordic Hope
MB: Centro- Did he follow Kip @ Zurich, to better learn his Gold rival?
MB: Centro? Legend in his own mind?
2013 Weltklasse Live Discussion On The Boards:
MB: Official 2013 Weltklasse Zürich Discussion Thread
MB: Zurich 5,000m - Defar or Dibaba, who wins?
MB: Universal Sports is now LIVE on TWC (HD)!
Valerie Adams' World-Leading Indoor PR (20.98) Wins 2013 DL Title For Her The shot put was held a day early in the train station.
*Adams' Victory Was Her 41st Straight Win
*Shot Put Results
- Shin Splint Treatment Remains Mysterious: Study Finds That There Is No Consistently Reliable Treatment They tested with leg braces, ice massage, ultrasound, extracorporeal shockwave therapy, and iontophoresis (which involves passing an electric current onto the skin) and found that no treatment was effective for everyone.
- The New Heart Rate Monitor? Lactate-Measuring Biosensor Tattoos Could Be Used To Monitor Intensity During Exercise Could be used as an easy way to find your lactate threshold pace in workouts.
LRC Jenny Simpson's Coach Mark Wetmore: "It's not a record attempt by any means. Just get in the race and respond to what's presented to her." LRC talked to coach Wetmore about the Zürich 5,000m, the Brussels 1,500m, 2014, Jenny's future in the steeplechase and whether Wetmore is actually surprised Simpson is a 1,500m runner.
Depressing (Mostly Doping) News
- Two-Time European 100 Metres Hurdles Champion Nevin Yanit Gets 2-Year Ban
*Ireland's Derval O’Rourke Upgraded To European Indoor Bronze After Turkish Hurdler Tests Positive
*O’Rourke Feels She Should Be Upgraded To Gold From 2010 Euro Outdoor Champs "It's not as if she was just on drugs this year ... I don't think the punishment really fits. I doubt she will have to pay back the money she has earned and I can't see her writing me a cheque for all my lost earnings."
- 2011 European Indoor Shot Put Champion Anna Avdeyeva Is 25th Russian Banned For Doping This Year
- JumpingTheGun Journalist Criticizes The Athletes And Media At Worlds For Avoiding Talking About The "Steroid-Fuelled Elephant In The Room" Doping Athletes either gave non-answers or absolutely no answer at all.
- WADA Revokes Rio de Janiero Drugs Laboratory's Licence For Repeated Failure To Meet Dope-Testing Standards This is the second time it's been suspended as it was also popped in January 2012.
- Defected Cuban Hurdler Orlando Ortega Wants To Start A New Life In The United States With His Mother, Who Lives In Florida
- More AK Mayhem: AK Head Isaiah Kiplagat Says All Is Well Within Federation Despite Disputes Over The AK Constitution Which 14 Of 16 AK Branches Disprove Of Constitution
*14 AK Branches Demand For A Special General Meeting To Discuss Their Issues With The Constitution One member said, "If Kiplagat does not call for an SGM after 14 days, we are going to march to Riadha House and pull him out."
Sunday / Monday Action
- Berlin ISTAF Results Aman Over Solomon in 800. Dayron Robles with a win.
- LRC Teg Ready To Defend In New Haven, Eyeing 2:11 In Chicago, Abdi Ready To Challenge Matt Tegenkamp and Abdi Abdirahman are the headliners for Monday's Statton Faxon New Haven US 20k Championships. The race serves as nice preparation for Tegenkamp's Bank of America Chicgao Marathon debut, where Tegenkamp said the training is geared around 5:00 pace (2:11). Abdi hasn't chosen a fall marathon but wants to do NYC if the money works out.
- Sunday: 21 Moscow Medalists Will Compete At Berlin Internationales Stadionfest (ISTAF) On Sunday Mohammed Aman faces Duane Solomon, Brandon Johnson and Olympic bronze medalist Timothy Kitum in the 800, Eunice
Sum is stepping back up to the 1,500 against Gabrielle
Anderson and Morgan Uceny, Bernard Lagat steps back down to the 1,500 with Leo Manzano and Ezekiel Kemboi vs. Brimin Kiprop Kipruto, Paul Kipsiele Koech and Hillary Yego in the steeple.
*Full Startlists *Meet Schedule
- Sunday: Padua Italy Meet: LaShawn Merritt And Aries Merritt Headline
- Tirunesh Dibaba Will Attempt 10k Road WR In Holland On Sunday
- Monday: Abdi Abdirahman Is Healthy, Fit And Confident Going Into Monday's New Haven 20K US Champs His long-time coach says he looks like the "2005 version" of himself and Abdi says, "I feel like I'm 21 again."
- Matt Tegenkamp Coming Into His Title Defense At Monday's US 20k Champs A Year Stronger And A Year Wiser Teg is using the 20k as part of his buildup for Chicago and talks about doing a ton more of volume and being so tired last week he just "wanted 5 days off."
- USATF Preview: Teg Faces Abdi Abdirahman, Ben Bruce, Jason Hartman, Andrew Carlson, And Patrick Rizzo Mattie Suver leads women's field along with Jen Rhines and Delilah DiCresenzo.
- In Two Weeks: Yuki Kawauchi Added To Field For September 15th Great North Run With Previously Announced Mo Farah, Haile Gebrselassie And Kenenisa Bekele
Diamond League Finale #1 - Weltklasse Zürich *Full Results *Event-By-Event Results (With Progressions/Splits)
IAAF Full Meet Recap: Defar And Bondarenko Dazzle In Zurich Bondarenko hushed the crowd and then made 1 WR attempt.
*Athletics Weekly Full Meet Recap
*Usain Bolt Comes From Behind To Win In 9.90 As All 9 Guys Finish Within .17 Of Each Other
*Jamaica Gleaner: Ugly 100m Win For Bolt
In Case You Missed It: Sprint Race Videos (distance links in articles and here): *Men's 100m: Bolt Vs.Gatlin *Men's 110m Hurdles: David Oliver Vs. Stacked Field *Men's 400m: LaShawn Merritt Vs. Kirani James For $50,000 *Women's 200m
LRC M 8: The Nick Symmonds Train Keeps Rolling Nick Symmonds got the win in a nice 1:43.56 as he ran aggressively from the start. Duane Solomon was 4th as Brandon Johnson struggled. *800m Race Video
MB: SYMMONDS 1:43.56 FTW in Zurich, out in 50.52.
LRC W 8: Eunice Sum Is 100% For Real - She Beats Savinova Again After A Thrilling Stretch Run Savinova and Sum were side-by-side for basically the entire last 100, but in the end Sum emerged $50,000 richer. Caster Semenya and the Americans, Ajee Wilson and Alysia Montaño, were non-factors. *Race Video
*Capital FM: Awe-Sum Eunice adds Diamond sparkle
MB: Eunice Sum dissed!
MB: Caster Semenya has gotten HUGE!
LRC M Steeple: Hillary Yego Wins As Conseslus Kipruto Manages To Hang On To DL Title The big names struggled here, making Evan Jager's decision not to steeple look a little bit wiser.
More Coverage From Outside LRC: Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Won Zurich 200 And Overall Diamond League Title
*Usain Bolt Backs Adam Gemili To Become A "Great" Sprinter As Long As He Isn't Pressured Too Much
*After Only Finishing 6th In Moscow, GB's Shara Proctor Wins Zurich LJ And Overall DL Title, Beating All Threw World Medalists
*Gemili (10.06) Bemoans His "Rubbish" 100m In Zurich Bolt told Gemili to enjoy the big meets more and and not get nervous.
*List Of US Performances From Zurich: 4 Americans Win
Marathon / Road News
- Pamela Anderson Running This Year's NYC Marathon
- 2014 Boston Marathon Registration To Begin On September 9th; Field Size Increased By 9,000 From Last Year This BAA press release includes the qualifying standards/process and says the race will have 36,000 official entrants this year.
- Comrades Marathon Race Director: "Comrades is an extremely hard race and hard is what makes it great."
- Chicago Marathon Announces Increased Security For 2014 Race
LRC Mid-D And Steeple Preview: The Titans Clash: Men's 1,500 And Women's 800 Might Be Higher Quality Than Moscow The winner of the women's 800m will take home $50,000 and the field includes Eunice Sum, Savinova, Alysia Montano, Ajee Wilson and Caster Semenya. The men's 1,500m is tougher than the Moscow final.
*Mutola's #1 Goal For Semenya Is Sub-2 And Increased Confidence, Victory Is #2 Goal
How Are Your Knees? Long-Term Study On Jamaican Youths Finds That "Knee Symmetry" May Predict Sprinting Success Study found that the Jamaicans who had more symmetrical knees as children were better sprinters as adults.
- Veteran Sportswriter Says That For U.S. Sports Fans, Track Barely Registers Anymore "(There) was a time when the Summer Olympics were little more than an excuse to hold the world's greatest track meet. Now, television devotes much more of its main-channel focus to swimmers and gymnasts."
- November 2nd: 49-Year-Old 4-Time Olympian Colleen De Reuck & 16-Year-Old HS Junior Alana Hadley Going For OT "B" Standard Of 2:43 At Indianapolis Monumental Marathon If they hit the time, they could potentially be the oldest and youngest competitors to compete in the 2016 Marathon Trials.
- NCAA: OK State Men & Providence Women Open XC Season As Preseason National Favorites
*Division I Cross-Country Preseason Regional Rankings Released
- Olympics In The Capital? Washington DC forms 2024 Olympic Bid Committee
- ESPN Clip: Lolo Jones Shows How She Uses Twitter To Get Endorsement Deals
- Former Decathlon World Champ Trey Hardee Getting Married Next September
- Drones Used For Aerial Photography Are The Latest Road Race Technology
Random, But Potentially Interesting
- Q&A With Canadian Steeple Record Holder Matt Hughes As a kid, he once dreamed of beating Donovan Bailey's 100m time, but had to settle for another Canadian record.
- Deena Kastor Not Sure About Her Future Marathon Plans But Says She'll Never Announce Her Retirement
- US's Lone 50k Racewalker Had To Have His Singlet And Shorts Cut Off Of Him After Collapsing After Finish In Moscow
- Drinking Sugary Drinks In The Hour Before A Workout Likely Won't Hurt Your Performance
- Julius Kogo Won His 4th-Straight Crim 10-Miler Over The Weekend (45:54) Former Wichita St. runner Aliphine Tuliamuk-Bolton won the women's (54:26).
- IAAF Recap Of Pan Am Jrs. Says Girls Pole Vault (4.40m) Was Highlight
- Stating The Obvious: Brendan Foster Says Mo Farah Is Not The Legend Haile Gebrselassie Was Geb took the sport to a new level. Mo Farah has been the best runner the last 3 years. Big difference.
- Mary Cain Blogs About Her Experience At Moscow World Champs, Which She Says "Was The Greatest Experience" Of Her Life She talks about how she laughed last year when Salazar told her she could make Worlds, the experience traveling and racing in Moscow and rooming with Jordan Hasay.
- Track And Field News XC Men's Preview
- Nike Aiming For A "Cleaner" Cross-Country Course For This Year's Nike High School Cross-Country Nationals Apparently last year it was so muddy, the top seeds were way back and the winning time was two minutes slower than a "normal" XC race.
- Extensive Gary Cohen Q&A With US's 1952 100m Olympic Champ Lindy Remigino Remigino talks about winning the 1952 Olympic 100, anchoring the 4 x 100m relay to gold, and much more.
- Interesting Theory: Professor's Take On Why Asafa Powell Can Run So Fast Today And Then So Slow Tomorrow He thinks it comes down to Powell's lack of endurance to get through multiple rounds or races close together. He says since he can't run the 200 because of his groin, he should run the 100 and 400 to work on endurance.
- Random Stat: Before 2003, The Fastest Marathon Ever Ran Was Only Known As A "World Best," Not A "World Record" The first "WR" was in at the Berlin Marathon in 2003 when Paul Tergat ran 2:04:55. Before that, the IAAF felt differences in courses made a WR impossible to judge. Khalid Khannouchi had the World Best before Tergat got the first official WR.
- Xiang Liu Returns To China After 11 Months In U.S. For Treatment
Do As I Say, Not As I Do: Ben Johnson Starts Anti-Doping Campaign *Pure Sport Website
- Interesting: Infamous Drug Cheat Ben Johnson Talks To The Telegraph About Starting Up An Anti-Doping Campaign Always good for outrageous quotes, Johnson makes contradictory statements about his remorse for doping, talks about the mutual dislike between him and Carl Lewis, hints at taking partial credit for Usain Bolt's sprinting success and claims he'd lower the WR to 9.30 if he was competing today.
- The Man Behind "Pure Sport, Australian Entrepreneur Jamie Fuller, Said He Thinks Lance Armstrong Could One Day Be Part Of The Group Fighting Against Doping
- AP Article: Disgraced sprinter Ben Johnson is the face of a new anti-doping campaign "Pure Sport" launched by a sportswear company
Random But Cool: LRC Video Of Olympic Champ Felix Sanchez Racing A Bike In The 400 Hurdles At Monday's Gugl Games
MB: Awesome video: Félix Sánchez races 400 hurdles against a guy hurdling on his bike - how come now DQ?
- Kenyan Juniors Look To Emulate Senior Success At Africa Junior Athletics Championships, Which Start Thursday
- Kenya's Geoffrey Korir And Rodgers Maiyo Go 1-2 In Boys' 10,000 At African Junior Champs Korir ran a Championships record time of 29:41.01.
Pressure Mounts On AK president Isiah Kiplagat To Call Special General Meeting
World Championships Review *World Champs Special Section
LRC Jenny's Medal Shines The Brightest, Ajee Surprises, Dejen And Genzebe Flop, The US Is Better Than Ever - 15 Thoughts Looking Back At The 2013 IAAF World Champs Now that we've had some time to recover and think about it, we take a look at the back and hand out awards for the 14th World Championships in Athletics. Read to find out who is our Best US Performer, our Biggest Flop (male and female), Biggest Surprise (US and international), our Comeback Athlete, Classiest Post-Race Interview, Biggest Bonehead, and a whole lot more. Along the way, we wonder why Ezekiel Kemboi wasn't disciplined, praise the US for its best performance ever and even praise Molly Huddle and Shannon Rowbury for allegedly packing it in early in the 5,000.
Centro Silver, Brenda Bronze!: Worlds Final Day Full Photo Gallery (All Of Our Photo Galleries Are Here)
Assorted International News
- South Africa's Surprise World Champs 1,500 Bronze Medalist Johan Cronje Says "Belief" Is What Kept Him Going Through Years Of Injury Troubles And It Finally Paid Off He knew he was going into a good year when in his second race of the season ,he broke the 20-year-old SA 1,500 record with 3:33.46 in his second race of the season, finishing 8th at the Doha DL meet.
- Veronica Campbell-Brown's Hearing For Her Failed Drug Test For A Banned Diuretic Will Be Early September
- A Look At How London 2012 & Daegu 2011 Winners Did In Moscow
- Interview With Agent And Melbourne TC Coach Nic Bideau On The Current State Of The Sport And What Can Be Improved From new Ireland based website, JumpingTheGun.ie.
- IAAF Profile On SP World Champ Valerie Adams Who's Winning Streak Had Continued For 40 Meetings And Looks Basically Unbeatable By Anyone In The World