2013 Worlds Have Started (W10k Final 1:05PM ET, M100 At 1:50PM) *Results *Television/Event Schedule *LRC Day 1 Photos *Women's 1500 Day 2 Photos *LRC Previews: *800M *800W *1,500M *1,500W *5,000M *5,000W *10,000W *SteepleM *SteepleW *Video Highlights (US Visitors Only)
Men's 10,000m: LRC Mo
Farah Turns The Tables On Jeilan, Galen Rupp 4th Ibrahim
Jeilan did his best to beat the "unbeatable" Mo Farah but came up just short as Farah and Jeilan traded the lead down the homestretch.
It was Farah's first 10,000m title at Worlds, but his 4th straight title at a global championship at 5,000m or 10,000m.Olympic silver medallist Galen Rupp was fourth, Wisconsin's Mo Ahmed 8th, and Dathan Ritzenhein 9th. *BBC Story *LRC
Interviews Here *Video Highlights Of Race (US visitors only)
LRC Analysis: 5 Thoughts On The Men's 10,000m The king Mo Farah still reigns, Ibrahim Jeilan is a stud, 30 is the new 20 for Mo Farah but not Dathan Ritzenhein, and more. Analysis and post-race commentary intertwined.
Men's 10k On The Boards:
- Official Men's 10,000 Discussion Threads- Live Lap-By-Lap Splits For those of you without access to TV coverage in the US, we have you covered.
- Who else got really excited when Ritz took the lead?
- RUPP: 2011, 2012, 2013: six championship races, one medal. Can we safely call the London 10,000 a FLUKE? Uh, no.
- Biggest Surprise in Moscow 10,000m
Day 1 IAAF Preview
LRC Assessing The US Mid-D And Distance Hopefuls' Odds For A Medal - 11 Have A Shot At A Medal And We Rank Them 1-11 US fans are certainly dreaming of a few medals for their stars. We tell them which 11 athletes have a shot and rank them 1-11. Who is #1? Nick Symmonds, Jenny Simpson or Galen Rupp?
The Fix Is In: Tirunesh Dibaba Is In Better Shape Than Last Year, Wanted To Double But Ethiopians Wouldn't Let Her Imagine if Tom Brady was told he couldn't play in the Super Bowl.
LRC Men's 10,000 Preview: Can Anyone Possibly Beat Mo Farah? (Maybe) We break down the action like only we can and tell you we think Galen Rupp's going to have a hard time repeating what he did last year, and Mo Farah's victory may not be nearly as easy as you think.
*MB: Men's 10,000 - Rupp will have to PB to medal
More 10k News: Brendan Foster Talks About How To Beat Mo Farah And Remembers When Farah Wasn't Very Good Telegraph Farah was 59th at the 2001 World XCs.
*Reuters Looks At Farah's Attempt To Double
LRC Moscow Diary Entry #1: LetsRun.com Travels To Moscow With Banned Agent Mark Block It would be hard to make this stuff up if we tried. LetsRun.com's trip to Moscow was very eventful as Rojo shared a plane from NY with Mark Block, the entire Somalia World Champs team, as well as the guys from flotrack.
LRC 2013 Pre-Meet World Championships Photos We've got a ton of photos of Canadians, Jamaicans and Kenyans plus Ryan Hill and DeSean Turner.
LRC World And Olympic Steeplechase Champion Yulia Zaripova Is Injured And Not Competing At Worlds An astute LRC visitor noticed yesterday that Zaripova wasn't on the start list. The Russians have confirmed that Zaripova injured her groin and is out. Also we note that Kenya's Lidya Chepkuriui is on the Kenyan team and Tunisia's Habiba Ghribi has withdrawn.
*Tunisia's World And Olympic Steeplechase Silver Medalist Habiba Ghribi Pulls Out Of Moscow With Injury She has recently had knee surgery.
*MB: Zaripova NOT on startlist
2013 US Champ Treniere Moser Drops Out Of Worlds As Well - Sarah Brown Likely To Replace Brown now has until Sunday to secure a visa and fly to Moscow for the first round of the 1,500.
*Nike Oregon Project Issues Statement Saying Moser Has Partially Ruptured One of Her Hamstring Tendons
*MB: The Curious Case of Treniere Moser
*MB: Moser out with hamstring injury
*MB: Treniere Moser Dodges Test?
*MB: If Mosier is Doping, so if Farah
*MB: MOSER out BROWN in NEW WOMENS 1500 WC TEAM
*MB: Sarah Brown's Facebook Page
2013 Worlds Have Started *Television/Event Schedule *LRC Previews: *800M *800W *1,500M *1,500W *5,000M *5,000W *10,000M *10,000W *SteepleM *SteepleW
LRC Women's 5,000 Preview: Meseret Defar Tries To Get A Second World Championships Gold To Add To Her Two Olympic Golds This race
been something special - Defar vs. Dibaba Round II - but now Defar is the heavy favorite. Rojo goes on a tirade about how this shows an inherent problem in the marketability of track and field. In other sports, greatness (say, Federer) always must eventually face other greatness (say, Nadal). In track, two greats can just avoid each other by choosing different events.
LRC Men's 5,000 Preview: Yenew Alamirew And Edwin Soi Try To Take Down Mo Farah - Do Rupp And Lagat Have A Shot? What are the odds someone can actually take down Farah and besides the Alamirew and Soi, who are the other medal contenders? We break down the men's 5,000 for you.
Pre-Worlds Doping News
- IAAF Will Vote Today To Reintroduce Four-Year Doping Bans For First-Time Offenders Even If It Risks Alienating The Sport From Others In WADA Apparently many sports federations are against the 4-year ban because of the implications for pro athletes in non-Olympic sports, so track might go against the WADA 2-year standard and impose it's own minimum 4-year ban.
- Paula Radcliffe Accuses Turkey Of "Child Abuse" Over Doping Scandal And Thinks The Federation Should Be Banned From Worlds "I would say that is abuse. Some of those athletes are 16 or 17. This is steroids and I think there needs to be some sort of sanction imposed on that country and something done about protecting the young athletes in that country because I don’t believe there’s a whole lot of choice."
- Dai Greene Has No Sympathy For Dopers Who Take Banned Substances By Mistake And Calls It A "Soft Excuse" "You have to be responsible for that yourself. It's an easy cop-out really, trying to say it was contaminated or you didn't read the label properly. It's just foolish."
- Brigetta Barrett Points Out That At Least The Recent Drug Bans Happened Before Worlds And Not After When Athletes Would Have To Be Stripped Of Medals
- WADA Director General David Howman Calls Anti-Doping Report "A Shocking Wake-Up Call" Former WADA head Dick Pound says, "There is a lack of commitment on the part of many, many national anti-doping organisations."
More Worlds Previews
LRC Women's 1,500 Preview: Can Jenny Simpson Repeat Or Does Abebe Aregawi Get Gold?
Jenny Simpson was the surprise World Champion in 2011. This year she's running way better than in 2011. Before you hand her the gold medal, realize the rest of the world is running much better too and in particular Abebe Aregawi. If you've got time to read one preview today, read this one.
LRC Men's 1,500 Preview: Can Anyone Stop Asbel Kiprop And The Kenyans? Can Leo Or Centro Get Back On The Medal Stand? Asbel Kiprop leads a strong four-man Kenyan contingent that got shut out as last year's Olympics. Will one of them serve as an unofficial rabbit in the final? Can American Olympic silver medallist, Leo Manzano, or Worlds bronze medallist, Matt Centrowitz, get back on the podium? Read to find out.
LRC Men's Steeple Preview: Can Ezekiel Kemboi Take Global Title Number Five Before Conseslus Kipruto Takes Over? Can Evan Jager Medal Ezekiel Kemboi versus Conseslus Kipruto for the win with Olympic silver medalist Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad, two more Kenyans and Evan Jager in the mix.
LRC Women's Steeple Preview: Yuliya Zaripova Looks For Gold Medal Number Three - Can An American Make The Final? Russia's Yuliya Zaripova is the heavy favorite, but could be challenged by Morocco's Habiba Ghribi or Kenya's Milcah Chemos.
LRC Women's 800 Preview: Alysia Montaño And Brenda Martinez Try To Prevent Mariya Savinova From Three-Peating At Home The American medal chances just went way up as it's being reported in the French press that Francine Niyonsaba is a scratch.
LRC Men's 800m Preview: Nick Symmonds And Duane Solomon Searching For Gold An American has not won a global 800m title since 1972. That could all change at the World Championships in Moscow, where Americans Nick Symmonds and Duane Solomon are two of the gold medal contenders. They'll have their hands full with Mo Aman. We break down the action that starts on Saturday (thumbnail from Trackandfieldphoto.com).
LRC The Fans Lose Again: Dibaba And Defar Both NOT Doubling In Moscow Dibaba vs. Defar X 2. It doesn't get any better than that for track and field fans. Now it won't happen at all as Ethiopian journalist Elshadai Negash is reporting neither Meseret Defar nor Tirunesh Dibaba will double in Moscow. Dibaba and Defar seem to be saying they would rather not lose to one another than win another World Championships medal. There is one positive to this - Shalane Flanagan's medal hopes went WAY up. *Discuss
Next Sunday: LRC Women's 10,000 Preview: Tirunesh Dibaba And Meseret Defar Clash For The First Time Ever At 10,000 - Can Shalane Flanagan Medal? Track fans won't get to see rivals Usain Bolt and Tyson Gay clash at 100 but they will get to see two all-time greats clash in the women's 10,000. Does Dibaba cement her status as the GOAT or does Defar upset her like she did in London? Plus Jordan Hasay's world debut and Amy Hastings looks to be just fourth US woman under 31:00.
Doping News Continues To Dominate The Headlines
- 31 Turkish Athletes, Including 2004 Hammer Silver Medalist Esref Apak, Get 2-Year Drug Bans
- Interesting Q&A With The IAAF Explaining Their Drug Testing Protocols At And Before Major World Championships And Specifics Of Blood, Urine And Biological Passport Tests
- Entire Jamaican Team Tested By WADA At Their Training Camp In Moscow
- NY Yankees' ALex Rodriguez (The Highest Paid Player In Baseball) Gets 211-Game Drug Suspension
- Some Interesting Info: GB's Former Olympic Gold Medalist Sprinter Darren Campbell Believes Tyson Gay And Asafa Powell Could Be Telling Truth About Accidentally Taking Banned Substances He has insider info as an owner of a sports nutrient business and says legal substances often get mixed up with banned substances for bodybuilding (where they are legal) and supplements often contain ingredients not on the label.
- No Supplement Is 100% Safe, Says UKA Anti-Doping Educator Article talks about a 2007 study where 58 supplements purchased in the US were analyzed and 25% of them were contaminated with steroids and 11% with banned stimulants.
- IAAF Will Carry Out Mass Biological Passport Tests In Moscow As They First Did In Daegu 2011
- Doping Robs USA-Jamaica Rivalry Of Luster
- APF: Doping Shadow As Moscow Hosts Worlds
- APF: Track And Field Needs Usain Bolt And Mo Farah To Shine In Moscow And Give The Sport "Some Much Needed Positive Spin" After Recent Doping Scandals
- IAAF President Lamine Diack: "The absolute majority of athletes are clean - but those who aren't are news, however unrealistic a picture this gives of our sport."
2013 TD Beach To Beacon *Top 10 Results
Preps For Moscow With Fastest US Masters 10k Ever As Joyce Chepkirui Wins Kastor's still running well at age 40. Top
non-African honors overall went to Great Britain's Gemma Steel, who had a huge breakthrough to grab 2nd.
In First Race Since Boston Marathon, Micah Kogo Wins As Meb Takes Top American Honors Meb was fifth but Ryan Hall was a total non-factor in 10th.
MB: How did Ryan Hall do in the Beach to Beacon 10k? 2013 Discussion Thread
*Press Herald Recap *Toni Reavis Recap
More Road Racing News: Boston Marathon To Have An Extra 9,000 Runners In 2014
A Lot Of Drug News Updates
- Rojo's Usain Bolt Article Gets Mention In USA Today Article: Physicists Analyze Bolt's 9.58 WR Run From 2009 Some interesting stats, including if he had run without the slight tailwind, he still would have set a WR, but would have gone 9.68.
*Rojo's Original Bolt Article: How Can Usain Bolt Be Clean? He's The Lebron James And Babe Ruth Of Track And Field
- Interesting Read: Irish Press Calls Out Jamaica For Lack Of Effort In Drug Testing Their Athletes And Are Proud Of The 895 Tests They Conducted In 2012 Sprint Coach John Coghlan talking about Jamaica's 106 tests: "It's a sham, I'm not sure if there's many other ways to describe it. For a nation to be that dominant, and to be doing such little testing, how can you take them seriously?" A lot more good stats from the WADA 2012 Report.
- Victor Conte Writes Open Letter Attacking Jamaican Anti-Doping For Lack Of Transparency And Legitimacy He also tears apart JADCO's chairman Dr. Herb Elliott's argument that 106 tests was enough for a country with such a small population.
- DailyMail Reports Accusations Against Russia's Anti-Doping Authorities That They're Manipulating Drug Test Results
- Possible Emerging Doping Scandal In Germany From Cold War: State Sponsored Doping By West Germany To Keep Up With East Germans
- Turkish Athletics Chairman Resigns After Doping Scandals
Will Russia's Anti-Gay Laws Cause Conflicts At Moscow World Champs?
- Russia's Recently Enacted "Gay Propaganda" Law Means Gay Olympic Athletes And Tourists Could Be Subject To Arrest During 2014 Winter Games
- IOC Says Russian Anti-LGBT Laws Won't Be Enforced At Olympics
- NY Times: Athletes In Sochi To Be Barred From Advocating Gay Causes Russia's minister of sports, Vitaly L. Mutko: "No one is forbidding a sportsman with a nontraditional sexual orientation to come to Sochi. But if he goes out on the street and starts to propagandize it, then of course he will be held accountable. Even if he's a sportsman, when he comes to a country, he should respect its laws."
- NBC: Russia's Anti-Gay Laws Become A Part Of The Olympic Narrative
- Olympic Champion Diver Greg Louganis Speaks Out On Russia's Anti-Gay Law
- USOC CEO Scott Blackmun: "These are serious issues but they are not solved by Olympic boycotts."
2013 Worlds Have Started (W10k Final 1:05PM ET, M100 At 1:50PM) *Results *Television/Event Schedule *LRC Pre-Meet Photo Album - Stadium, Practice Track, And Moscow *LRC Previews: *800M *800W *1,500M *1,500W *5,000M *5,000W *10,000M *10,000W *SteepleM *SteepleW
While You Were Sleeping (Sunday AM Action): LRC Mary Cain Adances As Does Jenny Simpson, Sarah Brown Cain let the field gap here 700m into the race, but rallied back to make the semifinals. Defending champion Jenny Simpson advanced with more ease.
LRC Women's 1500m Round 1 Photos *LRC Post Race Video and Audio Interviews: We talk to Simpson, Brown, Cory McGee, Nicole Sifuentes, and Sheila Reid
Round 1 on the Boards: *Cain Advances *Sheila Reid Doesn't *Sarah Brown goes through to next round!
*IAAF Day 1 Recap Trey Hardee NH in Decathlon high jump as he had a bad hamstring cramp. *Kelly-Ann Baptiste Tests Positive - Leaves Moscow
LRC Women's Marathon: Edna Kiplgat Repeats As World Champion Talks of the Kenyan women not winning any gold medals at Worlds were a bit premature as they won gold in the first event of the Championships, as Edna Kiplagat pulled away from Italy's Valeria Straneo over the final 2km and Japan's Kayoko Fukushi put it together on the world stage. The strong Ethiopian team disappointed as the agless Deena Kastor was 9th.
*LRC Video Interviews With Deena And Dot McMahan (18th)
Alan Abrahamson: A Marathon Or An Ideal? Abrahmson believes it was too hot and it was. But we heard the Japanese paid for TV rights on the condition the marathon be in prime time, so we aren't as outraged as the sport needs money and normally it's only a high of 70 in Moscow.
Marathon Talk On The MB: Official Women's marathon thread
*Why is this Italian being so dumb?
LRC Men's 800 Heats: Americans Duane Solomon, Nick Symmonds And Brandon Johnson And The Other Favorites All Advance Solomon and Symmonds won their heats with Solomon looking the best but the best guy overall was Mo Aman, who put up a rare 1:44 in the first round. Read about that and the guy who PRed by more than six seconds to advance and learn about the guy who told us Olympic 1,500 champ Taoufik Makhloufi isn't here because he's "fat."
*RRW: America Enjoying 800m Renaissance
*LRC Post-Race 800m Interviews: *Nick Symmonds *Duane Solomon *Brandon Johnson *Others - Ireland's Mark English, Ayanleh Souleiman, Andrew Osagie, Michael Rimmer, Anthony Romaniw
More Worlds News
- RR: Mo Farah Talks About How He Was Disappointed In 2010 When His Hero Haile Gebrselassie Said He Never Thought Farah Would Be Good Enough To Medal And Beat The East Africans "He didn't think I had it. I still remember that clearly. People have always got their opinion. At the time he just didn't see any Africans getting beat. I was disappointed to hear that because he was someone I saw as a role model ..."
- Deena Kastor Wants Top 5 At Worlds Marathon
*USATF Profile On Kastor
- Usain Bolt "Shunned The Media" While Training On Thursday But Coach Glen Mills Spoke On His Fitness, Saying He's In "Fairly Good" Form
- Aries Merritt Thinks It's "Strange" That No One Has Gone Sub-13 In The 110H This Year And Thinks He'll Be The One To Do It In Moscow
- Sally Pearson Confident Despite Injury-Plagued Season She Has A Chance To Win In Moscow "I think I have just as big a chance as everyone out there ..."
- PV WR Holder Yelena Isinbayeva Says She Never Said She Would Retire After 2013, But Just Wants To Take A Break To Have A Baby There were reports quoting her saying Moscow would be it for her, but now she says, "I didn't say that I will retire. After having a baby I am planning to come back to the professional sport as many of my team-mates have done and I will try to take my third Olympic gold in Rio de Janeiro."
- Ashton Eaton Says He Had A Hard Time Finding Motivation After London 2012 He recently married Brianne Theisen in Eugene in July.
- Team USA Press Conference Excerpts
- IAAF Moscow Day 1 Preview
*Relay Previews: Women's 4 X 100 *Men's 4 X 100 *Women's 4 X 400 *Men's 4 X 400
- IAAF President Lamine Diack Says Farewell To IOC President Jacques Rogge, Who Is Retiring In September Rogge praised the IAAF's push for a 4-year ban.
- UK Independent: Why Mo Farah Knows No Limits
- USATF Profile On Galen Rupp And His 2012 Olympic Silver Medal
Previous Worlds News
- Steve Cram Says Mo Farah Intimidates His Rivals And Thinks Their Only Chance Of Beating Him Is Making It A Fast, Honest Race Cram: "He will only be tested if they push for a sub-27-minute race, sap him of his energy, tire him out before the final 600m and put him on the edge."
- EA Profile On Russia's Olympic 800 Champ Mariya Savinova, Who Has 5 Major Gold Medals To Her Name And Will Try To Add Another In Front Of Her Home Crowd With Francine Niyonsaba pulling out of Worlds and Caster Semenya missing the standard, her task will definitely be easier. This article also mentions that 2004 Olympic champ Yuriy Borzakovskiy has pulled out of Worlds with illness, after having won Russian National Champs last month.
- Former World And Olympic 100m Champion Donovan Bailey Talks About Usain Bolt's Potential Rivals For Moscow He names Justin Gatlin, James Dasaolu, Nesta Carter, Mike Rodgers and Kemar Bailey-Cole as potential medal threats.
- GB 100m Sprinter James Dasaolu, Who Made A Breakthrough With 9.91 Last Month, Shrugs Off Injury Concerns And Says He Thinks He Can Medal & Even Get The 9.87 UK Record
- List Of 2013 Collegians Competing At Moscow World Champs
- Good Read If You're A British Fan: BBC's GB Athletes To Watch In Moscow
- GB's Women 4 X 100 Says Don't Write Them Off For Moscow Despite Not Even Qualifying For The Olympics Last Year Their team includes the youngest Team GB athlete in 17-year-old Dina Asher-Smith.
- IAAF Sprint Previews: Men's 100 *Women's 100 *Men's 200 *Women's 200 *Men's 400 *Women's 400 *Men's 110H *Women's 100H *Men's 400 Hurdles *Women's 400 Hurdles
- European Athletics Looks Back At When Bulgaria's Stefka Konstadinova Set The Still Standing Women's HJ WR Of 2.09m At The 1987 Rome World Championship Konstadinova was recently reelected for a 3rd term as president of the Bulgarian Olympic Committee.
- Athletics Weekly Event-By-Event Prediction Charts
- Irish Racewalker Robert Heffernan Using 4th Place Olympic Finish At Motivation To Medal In Moscow
- Will Kemboi Be In Moscow?!? Kenyan Team Flies Out Before Airport Fire, But Ezekiel Kemboi May Have Been Left Behind The first round of the men's steeplechase is on Monday.
- IAAF App Launched For iPod, iPhone, iPad And Android
- Good For A Laugh: spikesmag.com Chooses Moscow's Best-Named Athletes English Gardner tops the list.
- IAAF Inside Athletics Episode 29: Ato Boldon Interviews Valerie Adams
- IAAF Distance Previews: Men's 800 *Women's 800 *Women's 1,500 *Men's 1,500 *Men's Steeplechase *Women's Steeplechase *Men's 5,000 *Women's 5,000 *Women's Marathon *Men's Marathon *Men's 10,000 *Women's 10,000 *Women's 20k Race Walk *Men's 20k Race Walk *Men's 50k Race Walk
- Athletics Weekly Women's Distance Events Preview
- Athletics Weekly Men's Distance Events Preview
- Good Read: Nick Symmonds: Why I Want To Medal At The World Championships Symmonds talks about being disappointed with 5th at the Olympics and the fame, national pride and money that comes along with medaling.
- Good Bolt Article: Usain Bolt Says He Wants To Do Something Special In Moscow To Settle Any Doubts That's He's The Best "I know that in Moscow I've not only got to win. All these guys are missing, so I've got to run real fast to settle any doubts."
- After Plane Delays, Kenya's World Team Departs For Moscow Head coach Sammy Rono had some inspirational (?) words for the men's 1,500 team, saying, "Asbel [Kiprop], [Nixon] Chepseba and [Silas] Kiplagat failed to secure medals in London and if they fail this time, it will appear deliberate."
- GB's Dai Greene Fears Track Could Be On Its Way To A "Lance Armstrong Moment" Of Its Own With All The Doping Positives "Cycling had its horrible moment for a few years probably and it culminated with Lance, and athletics seems to be heading the same way."
*Greene Heads To Moscow Not Having Jumped A Hurdle In 3 Weeks Due To Calf Injury
- Kenya's Janeth Jepkosgei Hoping For Better Things In Moscow After She Was Only 7th At The London Olympics, Failing To Medal At A Major Championship For The First Time In A Decade She has many global medals, including a gold from 2007 Worlds.
- A Look At The Prize Money Offered At Moscow World Champs, Including A $100,000 Bonus For A WR Provided By TDK And Toyota IAAF World champions get $60,000, but it drops off quickly from there as 8th place only gets $4,000.
- Brett Larner's World Championships Marathon Japanese Women's And Men's Previews
- President Barack Obama On Jay Leno Show: Russia Has "Big Stake In Making Sure" Olympics Work For LGBT Community USA Today
- DailyNation Reports Ezekiel Kemboi Could Miss Worlds As He Went Against Athletics Kenya's Wishes By Changing His Flight At The Last Minute And Not Traveling With Team He said he didn't want to go early because "the Moscow weather would affect him."
- Does Jamaica's Warren Weir Think He Can Beat Bolt? "I am looking forward to go on the podium again, higher up the podium, and also with a faster time and ... that shiny gold medal."
- IAAF Event-By-Event Previews
*Jumps: Men's Triple Jump *Women's Triple Jump *Men's LJ *Women's LJ *Men's Pole Vault *Women's PV *Men's HJ *Women's HJ
*Men's Decathlon: Olympic Champ Ashton Eaton Vs. 2011 World Champ Trey Hardee
*Women's Heptathlon Preview: No Olympic Champ Or Defending World Champ As Jessica Ennis And Russia's Tatyana Chernova Out With Injury
*Throws: Women's Hammer Throw *Men's Javelin *Men's Discus *Men's Shot Put *Women's Javelin *Men's Hammer Throw *Women's Discus *Women's Shot Put
- What Are The Odds This Race Actually Happens? Bolt Talks About Mo Farah 600m Challenge: "We don't know if it will happen, but we'll definitely be thinking about it, to see if it possibly could fit in our schedules."
- Paula Radcliffe Says Mo Farah Is "Striking Fear Into His Opponents," Who Are "Struggling To Finds Ways To Beat Him" She also said, "I know they cannot run away from him either."
- Kenya's Version Of Morgan Uceny: Helen Obiri Was Involved In Both Falls With Uceny At The 2011 World Champs & 2012 Games And His Hoping To Stay On Her Feet In Moscow She went down in 2011 and had to jump over Uceny and go way wide in 2012.
- Amazing: Marathoner Hendrik Ramaala Competing In 6th Worlds At Age 41 "I may be 41 officially, but I still feel as if I am 20."
- Interesting IAAF Article On The Mondo Italian Based Company Which Has Provided The Track Surface For All The Olympics Since 1976 Article takes a look at the track surface building process and why Mondo's "pre-fabricated" material is the best in the business.
- List Of 25 Top Stars Who Will Miss The World Championships
More Pre-Moscow News
- The Women's HJ Just Got A Little Less Interesting: Blanka Vlasic Will Miss Worlds As She Has Too Much Foot Pain From Competing In The Monaco DL Meet Many were anticipating the 3-way battle between Vlasic, Olympic
champ Anna Chicherova and US's Olympic silver medalist Brigetta Barrett.
*Inside Athletics #26: Ato Boldon Interview With Blanka Vlasic
- Kim Collins Could Still Run In Moscow After Online Petition He said there are tentative talks taking place between his people and the St. Kitts and Nevis Amateur Athletic Association (SKNAAA).
Recommended Read: Kenyans And Russians Most Tested Athletes By IAAF - What Individuals Were Tested The Most? Alan Abrahamson tells you all you need to know.
Go Figure: Caster Semenya Wins Again, Remains Undefeated, But Won't Be Going To Worlds As She Didn't Run 2:01.50 You can watch the race video here. "Bizarre" is all we can say. It's almost as if Semenya and her people don't want to go Moscow as there seemingly were no rabbits and Semenya went from last to first in the span of 70 meters.
Doping News: 9 More Turkish Dopers Banned
- Alan Abrahamson Bashes Jamaican Anti-Doping Commission For Not Making A Serious Effort To Catch Drug Cheats Jamaica only conducted 106 tests in 2012, compared to the 4,051 by USADA or the 15,854 by the Russian National Anti-Doping Organization. Even the non-major players such as Iceland and Iran conducted more tests than Jamaica did last year.
- Nine More Turkish Track Athletes Get Drug Bans After Testing Positive For Steroids; Six Are Women Including Two Teenagers Eight were throwers and one 400 sprinter. Many of the cases had athletes testing positive for stanozolol (the steroid Ben Johnson used) and oral turinabol (the steroid used in state-sponsored East German doping in the 1970s and '80s).
All received two-year bans.
*Athletics Illustrated Opinion Piece On Turkish Dopers: "If you are going to be careless, or if your need for faster, higher, stronger outstrips the number of brain cells remaining in your addled brain, you will be martyred."
Doping News: Victor Conte Throws Out Some Major Accusations Against Jamaica
- Victor Conte (Man Behind The BALCO Scandal) Accuses Jamaican Government, Olympic Association And Anti-Doping Commission Of Helping Athletes To Get Away With Doping Conte: "Well I've believed for a long time that it is state-sponsored doping. I believe the Jamaican Olympic Committee is in on it, I believe the Jamaican Anti-Doping Commision is in on it ..."
*MB: Victor Conte Accuses Jamaica Of State-Sponsored Doping
- Jamaican Athletics Officials Angrily Dismiss Accusations Made By Conte JOA president Mike Fennell: "This is absolutely ridiculous, this is rubbish."
Mo Farah / Usain Bolt News: Bolt Accepts Farah's Race Challenge *London 2 Day Photo Gallery
- Usain Bolt Accepts Mo Farah's Challenge To Race Over 600m Bolt: "That sounds fun. It's going to be hard but it's charity so it's all about fun and enjoyment ... 600 for sure I can try because I've done 600 metres in training, but not 1,500 metres."
- Head Professor Of Exercise & Sport Science At Manchester Metropolitan University Says Mo Farah Would Definitely Win Over 600 Meters Professor Neil Fowler: "At that distance it's an aerobic event ... top speed won't matter. ... Every day of the week Mo Farah would win that race over 600m." We agree it should be less than 600m.
- Mo Farah Asked UK Performance Director If He Could Triple 1,500-5,000-10,000 At Worlds, But The Moscow Schedule Didn't Allow It Farah: "I was serious but he said no because it didn't fit in with the timetable. I didn't even tell my own coach Alberto Salazar!"
*MB: Mo Farah Wanted To Triple: 1500, 5000 and 10,000
- IAAF President Lamine Diack Says There Would Never Be A Cover-Up If Bolt Tested Positive Diack: "If he tests positive, he tests positive. It would be a disaster for our sport but we would have to say he is positive. But I hope that doesn't happen because we don't need that."
The Amputee / Blade Length Debate Continues: Oliviera Proves Theory Which Said Double Amputees (Pistorius) Have An Advantage
- Recommended Read: Double Amputee Sprinter Alan Oliviera Destroys The 100m WR With 10.57 And Re-Ignites Blade Length Controversy From The Olympics The Science of Sport's Ross Tucker analyzes the issue and asks if it is all about leg length and how the IPC/IAAF will deal with this issue as amputees try and race in able-bodied races.
- Telegraph: "Britain's Jonnie Peacock finishes third in amputee 100 metres but debate over the length of blades reopens." US's single-leg amputee WR holder Richard Brown: "There's going to be more than one in the able-bodied Olympics by 2016. The IAAF are going to have to be ready. They have no choice. 10.57 - they have no choice but to get ready. They just need to get their rules ready, that's all I'm saying."
- Independent: "In 2016 will the blade runners be racing Usain Bolt?" GB's Jonnie Peacock disagrees with Browne and says, "I think we might edge towards 10.5 and maybe a sub-10.5, who knows? But from 10.8 to 10.0 is a massive ask. You can't see an amputee running sub-10 ... maybe if they're 20 ft. tall."
Think The Sub-2-Hour Marathon Is On The Horizon? Think Again
LRC The Myth Of The Sub-2-Hour Marathon The mainstream media thinks it may be close but in reality most people reading this will be dead when it happens.
*Science of Sport's Ross Tucker agrees: Pacing, fatigue and the brain. Lessons from London.
*MB: Sub 2 Hour Marathon Discussion: My Thoughts and Yours
Karhu $200,013 LRC Worlds Prediction Contest - Better Than Ever - New $2,013 4-Event Challenge
LRC $200,013 Worlds Prediction Contest: Pick 4 Events Correctly And Win $2,013 Our world-famous prediction contest is back and is better than ever. In addition to our full-fledged contest with some great prizes from Karhu, we've gotten a little carried away trying to get more casual fans involved as we've added a $2013 Four-Event Challenge. Pick the top three in order in the four events of your choosing and win $2013*. Don't know anything about Worlds? We've got a guide for you. Plus, you only need to do four events if you don't want to do the full thing. So start picking and more importantly spread the word to non-track fans.
Drug-Related News From Moscow
- Justin Gatlin Admits The 100 Is A Bit Of A Letdown In 2013 But Still Thinks "It's Going To Be Exciting" He referred to the race as a "real heavyweight bout, where you have two guys who aren't the best of friends, ready to run against each other and rumble."
- GB Past Drug Cheat Dwain Chambers On Tyson Gay/Asafa Powell: "It's sad to see that people I look up to have fallen into the same trap that I once did ... ... Unfortunately they haven't learned from my experience."
- UK Independent: Americans' belated arrival at World Championships earns frosty welcome after Tyson Gay's positive drugs test
- Sports Illustrated: World Championships allow track to move past ugly few months
We Agree - No One Should Talk Of Boycotting Games
- President Obama Rejects Idea Of Olympic Boycott For Sochi 2014 Olympics
- IOC Wants More Clarification On Russia's Anti-Gay Law IOC seems to be trying to walk the impossible line between saying they support gay rights and not criticizing Russia.
More Pre-Worlds Doping News: IAAF Vote For 4-Year Minimum Drug Ban
- Drug Cheats, Enjoy Your 2-Year Bans While They Last: IAAF Approves Return To A 4-Year Minimum Ban For First Time Doping Offenders, Which Will Take Effect Starting In 2015 This means no more getting a drug ban and showing up 2-years later for the Olympics. *2nd Article
- Australia's Commonwealth Javelin Champion Jarrod Bannister Banned For 20 Months For Missing Anti-Doping Tests
- Jamaican Press Officer Stops Jamaican Head Coach Michael Clarke From Answering Any More Questions About Doping He answered a question about Victor Conte's comments about lack of testing in Jamaica, but then was stopped from answering any more questions.
- Video: Paula Radcliffe Talks About Having Greater Penalties For Drug Cheats
- The Guardian: Positive tests and negative vibes cast a shadow over world championship "Worries over ticket sales, failed drugs tests and anti-gay legislation mean stunning efforts on the track are required."
- USA Today: Injuries, doping keep many track stars from worlds
More On Russia's Anti-Gay Law
- IAAF President Lamine Diack Says He Has "No Problem" With Russia's Anti-Gay Law And Russian Sports Minister Asks Athletes To "Calm Down" Diack: "The Olympics should be a time for a truce. Russia has its laws and we come here for athletics and each can do what he wants in his private life."
- Philip Hersh Says IOC Isn't Doing Enough By Only Making Sure Anti-Gay Law Isn't Enforced During The Olympics And Are Missing The Larger Perspective Of An Underlying Human Rights Issue "The IOC should back off its comfortably defensible position of not interfering with national sovereignty and shout for Russia to repeal the law rather than just refrain from enforcing it during the Winter Olympics."
Nick Symmonds And Others Speak Out Against Russia's Anti-Gay Law
- Nick Symmonds Speaks Out Against Russia's Anti-Gay Law "If I am placed in a race with a Russian athlete, I will shake his hand, thank him for his country's generous hospitality, and then, after kicking his ass in the race, silently dedicate the win to my gay and lesbian friends back home. Upon my return, I will then continue to fight for their rights in my beloved democratic union."
- President Barack Obama Says We Won't Tolerate Gays Being Treated Differently At Russian Olympics
- IAAF Calls On Russia To Reconsider Its Views On Gays, But Doesn't Want To Raise Political Issues During World Champs
Non-Worlds Pro News
- Interesting Science Of The Sport's Ross Tucker Takes A Scientific Look At Who Would Win Between Mo Farah And Usain Bolt Over 600m He predicts Farah would win over 600m and that a truly equal distance would fall somewhere between 500 and 550 meters. He also said if you gave them both a month to specifically train for the 600, it would be a complete toss up.
- Lolo Jones Makes Twitter Jokes (One At The Expense Of Recently Suspended MLB Player Ryan Braun) About Getting Drug Tested At Her Birthday Party
- NYRR Quote Rojo's Article About How We're Nowhere Near The Sub-2 Hour Marathon
*Rojo's Original Article
- UK Champs 110H 3rd Placer Nick Gayle Is Also A Professional Model
31 More Turks Banned, Bringing Total To 40 In Last Week
Recommended Read: Alan Abrahmson On Turkey's Awful Doping Scandal Abrahmson wonders who is doping these Turks. 20 of the 31 are under 23. Does a 16-year-old girl dope on her own or does someone lead/force her to do it?
*MB: 31 TURKEYS ATHLETES BUSTED FOR PEDS!!!!
Nick Willis Falls Just Short Of Michigan Record For State's Fastest Mile New dad Nick Willis deserves a big Thumbs Up for organizing the mile race himself in Saline, Michigan. He came up short of the Michigan record but won in 3:56.57 ahead of Dan Clark (3:57.40) and Miles Batty (3:58.06) as seven broke 4:00.00. *Video Of Race (updated with better video)
US Commentators Should Read This: Interesting IAAF Interview With Steve Cram: From World Champion To World Class Commentator You might be surprised at the amount of work that goes into commentating for major track meets. Cram also talks about being really nervous before some major races, almost like before you are competing yourself.
Book Review - Sports Gene Is Now Out
LRC Sports Gene By David Epstein: A Must-Read For All Coaches If you are a serious about wanting to understand elite sport performance, you've got to read the first book published by Sports Illustrated writer and former Columbia 800 runner (and LRC friend) David
Epstein. Whether you want to know the keys to being a prodigy in distance running, or how to make it in the Majors in baseball, or how to dominate the Iditarod dog race, Epstein's got you covered. He even tells you the one thing you need to have to have a 17% chance of making it to the NBA. The book is out now.
*Q&A With David Epstein With Runner's World
*MB: Sports Gene By David Epstein
US News: Lindsay Lohan Fan Of Shannon Rowbury?
- Shannon Rowbury New Mentor/Coach For Lindsay Lohan According to this report, they met in the Nike store and have been exchanging training emails.
Week That Was
LRC What Did We Learn From The London DL?, Fast US "B" Teamers, Gabe Jennings Is A Lucky Man, And We Know Who Is Winning The Women's Steeple The final Diamond League meet and the Russian Champs are in the books and we turn our attention to Worlds. The US chances for Moscow are looking great in the distances. What else did we learn from London? Click to find out. Plus Tyson Gay tested positive a second time.
Upcoming Road Action: Farah Vs. Bekele Vs. Haile G Over A Half Marathon
- August 9th: Jordan McNamara Leads Deep Field For GNC Live Well Liberty Mile In Pittsburgh Field includes Matt Elliot, Miles Batty, Liam Boylan-Pett and Ben Bruce.
*Olympic Marathoner Magdalena Lewy Boulet Will Celebrate 40th Birthday Competing At USA Masters 1 Mile Road Champs At GNC Liberty Mile
*McNamara Inspires Pittsburgh's Youth To Run GNC Live Well Liberty Mile
- August 11th: Falmouth Announces Its Elite Fields: Defending Champion Stanley Biwott Faces Chris Solinsky, Luke Puskedra & German Fernandez Also Boston Marathon 2nd placer Micah Kogo. Women's field led by Utica Boilermaker champion Lineth Chepkurui, who will face past Falmouth champ Wude Ayalew and Americans Neely Spence, Stephanie Rothstein-Bruce, Julia Lucas and Delilah DiCrescenzo.
- Dream Match-Up Set For September 15th: Mo Farah, Kenenisa Bekele And Haile Gebrselassie Will Clash Over Half Marathon At Bupa Great North Run Geb: "I can still compete at the highest level and I look forward to giving both of them a run for their money." This will be Bekele's half debut.
- Coach Renato Canova Picks Bekele Over Farah In The Half "Given that the race takes place about a month after the World Championships, I think it will be hard for Mo against Bekele ... From this duel forget Haile ..."
- Slew Of Americans Running 2013 ING NYC Marathon: Meb, Ryan And Kara Running NYC They'll be joined by US Olympians Janet Bawcom, Amy Hastings and Julie Culley in her debut. Also, top Boston finisher Jason Hartmann, Ryan Vail, Jeff Eggleston, Adriana Nelson, Alisha Williams and Mattie Suver will be in NY. *Discuss
2013 Wharf To Wharf 6 Miler *Top 10 Results *MB Talk
In Road Debut, American Emily Infeld Cruises To Women's Title At 41st Annual Wharf To Wharf (Article updated) Despite what the article says, the race is 6 miles, not 10k.
MB: EMILY INFELD 30:52!!
Kenyan Nelson Oyugi Wins 41st Annual Wharf To Wharf In Convincing Fashion Local favorite Brett Gotcher was a career-best 3rd, Ben Bruce 5th, Lemoncello 6th, Scott Bauhs 9th and Solinsky was 10th. German Fernandez was a DNS.
*MB: Official 2013 Wharf to Wharf Predictions/Race Thread
Non-London News - 2013 Bix 7 Miler *Top 10 Bix Results
Former Iona Star Leonard Korir Wins Quad-City Times Bix 7 Meb was third, Desi 10th.
(Meb 3rd, Desi 10th)