2013 Worlds Start On Saturday *Schedule *LRC Previews: *800m *800w *1500m *1500w *10,000m *10,000w *SteepleM *SteepleW
LRC Women's 1500 Preview: Can Jenny Simpson Repeat or Does Abebe Aregawi Get Gold?
Jenny Simpson was the surprise World Champion in 2011. This year she's running way better than in 2011. Before you hand her the gold medal realize the rest of the world is running much better too and in particular Abebe Aregawi. If you've got time to read one preview today, read this one.
LRC Men's 1500 Preview: Can Anyone Stop Asbel Kiprop and the Kenyans? Can Leo or Centro Get Back on the Medal Stand? Asbel Kiprop leads a strong four man Kenyan contingent that got shut-out as last year's Olympics. Will one of them serve as an unofficial rabbit in the final? Can American Olympic silver medallist, Leo Manzano, or Worlds bronze medallist, Matt Centrowitz, get back on the podium? Ready to find out.
More Worlds Previews
LRC Women's 800 Preview: Alysia Montaño And Brenda Martinez Try To Prevent Mariya
From Three-Peating At Home The American medal chances just went way up as it's being reported in the French press that Francine Niyonsaba is a scratch.
LRC Men's 800m Preview: Nick Symmonds And Duane Solomon Searching For Gold An American has not won a global 800m title since 1972. That could all change at the World Championships in Moscow, where Americans Nick Symmonds and Duane Solomon are two of the gold medal contenders. They'll have their hands full with Mo Aman. We break down the action that starts on Saturday (thumbnail from Trackandfieldphoto.com).
LRC The Fans Lose Again: Dibaba And Defar Both NOT Doubling In Moscow Dibaba vs. Defar X 2. It doesn't get any better than that for track and field fans. Now it won't happen at all as Ethiopian journalist Elshadai Negash is reporting neither Meseret Defar nor Tirunesh Dibaba will double in Moscow. Dibaba and Defar seem to be saying they would rather not lose to one another than win another World Championships medal. There is one positive to this - Shalane Flanagan's medal hopes went WAY up. *Discuss
Next Saturday: LRC Men's 10,000 Preview: Can Anyone Possibly Beat Mo Farah? (Maybe) We break down the action like only we can and tell you we think Galen Rupp's going to have a hard time repeating what he did last year, and Mo Farah's victory may not be nearly as easy as you think.
*MB: Men's 10,000 - Rupp will have to PB to medal
More 10k News: Brendan Foster Talks About How To Beat Mo Farah And Remembers When Farah Wasn't Very Good Telegraph Farah was 59th at the 2001 World XCs.
*Reuters Looks At Farah's Attempt To Double
Next Sunday: LRC Women's 10,000 Preview: Tirunesh Dibaba And Meseret Defar Clash For The First Time Ever At 10,000 - Can Shalane Flanagan Medal? Track fans won't get to see rivals Usain Bolt and Tyson Gay clash at 100 but they will get to see two all-time greats clash in the women's 10,000. Does Dibaba cement her status as the GOAT or does Defar upset her like she did in London? Plus Jordan Hasay's world debut and Amy Hastings looks to be just fourth US woman under 31:00.
Doping News Continues To Dominate The Headlines
- 31 Turkish Athletes, Including 2004 Hammer Silver Medalist Esref Apak, Get 2-Year Drug Bans
- Interesting Q&A With The IAAF Explaining Their Drug Testing Protocols At And Before Major World Championships And Specifics Of Blood, Urine And Biological Passport Tests
- Entire Jamaican Team Tested By WADA At Their Training Camp In Moscow
- NY Yankees' ALex Rodriguez (The Highest Paid Player In Baseball) Gets 211 Game Drug Suspension
- Some Interesting Info: GB's Former Olympic Gold Medalsit Sprinter Darren Campbell Believes Tyson Gay And Asafa Powell Could Be Telling Truth About Accidentally Taking Banned He has insider info as an owner of a sports nutrient business and says legal substances often
get mixed up with banned substances for body-building (where they are legal) and supplements often contain ingredients not on the label.
- No supplement is 100% safe, says UKA anti-doping educator Article talks about a 2007 study where 58 supplements purchased in the US where analyzed and 25% of them were contaminated with steroids and 11% with banned stimulants.
- IAAF Will Carry Out Mass Biological Passport Tests In Moscow As They First Did In Daegu 2011
- Doping robs USA-Jamaica rivalry of luster
- APF: Doping shadow as Moscow hosts Worlds
- APF: Track And Field Need Usain Bolt And Mo Farah To Shine In Moscow And Give The Sport "Some Much Needed Positive Spin" After Recent Doping Scandals
- IAAF President Lamine Diack: "The absolute majority of athletes are clean - but those who aren't are news, however unrealistic a picture this gives of our sport."
2013 TD Beach To Beacon *Top 10 Results
Preps For Moscow With Fastest US Masters 10k Ever As Joyce Chepkirui Wins Kastor's still running well at age 40. Top
non-African honors overall went to Great Britain's Gemma Steel, who had a huge breakthrough to grab 2nd.
In First Race Since Boston Marathon, Micah Kogo Wins As Meb Takes Top American Honors Meb was fifth but Ryan Hall was a total non-factor in 10th.
MB: How did Ryan Hall do in the Beach to Beacon 10k? 2013 Discussion Thread
*Press Herald Recap *Toni Reavis Recap
More Road Racing News: Boston Marathon To Have An Extra 9,000 Runners In 2014
A Lot Of Drug News Updates
- Rojo's Usain Bolt Article Gets Mention In USA Today Article: Physicists Analyze Bolt's 9.58 WR Run From 2009 Some interesting stats, including if he had run without the slight tailwind, he still would have set a WR, but would have gone 9.68.
*Rojo's Original Bolt Article: How Can Usain Bolt Be Clean? He's The Lebron James And Babe Ruth Of Track And Field
- Interesting Read: Irish Press Calls Out Jamaica For Lack Of Effort In Drug Testing Their Athletes And Are Proud Of The 895 Tests They Conducted In 2012 Sprint Coach John Coghlan talking about Jamaica's 106 tests: "It's a sham, I'm not sure if there's many other ways to describe it. For a nation to be that dominant, and to be doing such little testing, how can you take them seriously?" A lot more good stats from the WADA 2012 Report.
- Victor Conte Writes Open Letter Attacking Jamaican Anti-Doping For Lack Of Transparency And Legitimacy He also tears apart JADCO's chairman Dr. Herb Elliott's argument that 106 tests was enough for a country with such a small population.
- Head Of Jamaican Anti-Doping Says He Knows If Bolt Ever Tested Positive Jamaican Sprinting Would Be Dead And Says That Testing "B" Samples Is A Waste Of Time And Money He also talks about how some steroids are altered so they're undetectable.
- Head Of German Olympic Sports Confederation And IOC Presidential Candidate Thomas Bach Wants Research Done To Look Into Doping History After Reports On West Germany State-Sponsored Doping
*AP: West Germany Systematically Doped Athletes
- Former WADA Head Dick Pound Says Doping Is So Widespread That He no Longer Has Faith In Sport At The Top "I certainly question everything I see now, in all sports."
- USADA Head Travis Tygart Blasts UCI Over Refusal To Let USADA Do Tests At The USA Pro Cycling Challenge And Other Top Events "They want to control the results. They want to control who is tested and they want to control what is tested for, so they don’t have any issues."
- DailyMail Reports Accusations Against Russia's Anti-Doping Authorities That They're Manipulating Drug Test Results
- Jamaica Gleaner: "Jamaica's Athletes Reputation Has Hit Rock Bottom"
- Jamaica Gleaner Says Athletes Need To Navigate An "Obstacle Course" When It Comes To Avoiding Banned Substances And Need "Scientific Support"
Borlee Brothers Will Make History By All Competing In 400 At Brussels DL In September Never before have 3 brothers been in one event at the top level. There are the twins Kevin and Johnathan and their younger brother Dylan.
Mitjia Kosovelj And Antonella Confortola Win WMRA World Long Distance Mountain Running Challenge In Szklarska Poreba, Poland Italy won the men and women's team challenge.
- Possible Emerging Doping Scandal In Germany From Cold War: State Sponsored Doping By West Germany To Keep Up With East Germans
- Turkish Athletics Chairman Resigns After Doping Scandals
Pre-Race TD Beach To Beacon
- Pre-Race: Nice Article In Maine Paper On Hall: For Ryan Hall, "Everything Possible" In Beach To Beacon
- Toni Reavis' Beach To Beacon Preview
- Ryan Hall Healthy & Ready To Attack Marathon Again
*MB: Ryan Hall has built mega base for first time since HS
- Riley Masters, Elliot Krause And Alexi Pappas Adjusting To Pro Runner's Life
- Joan Samuelson Praises Her Sport's Strength In Wake Of Boston Tragedy
- LA Times Looks At The Joke That Is Drug Testing For NBA And NFL Baseball does blood tests but the NFL only does urine and the NBA doesn't test for HGH.
Jamaican Drug Talk
- Jamaica Anti-Doping Commission Chairman Defends His Organization Saying Their 106 Tests Was Adequate For Jamaica's Population Size Dr. Herb Elliot: "We have done enough tests ... when you compare by population. Mostly what we did was track and field athletes, while some of these other countries have a lot more athletes from a lot more sports to test."
- Hearing For Veronica-Campbell Brown's Failed Test To Begin Soon The Jamaican Observer also reports that the substance that VCB tested positive for is a stimulant, and not a diuretic as previously speculated.
Will Russia's Anti-Gay Laws Cause Conflicts At Moscow World Champs?
- Russia's Recently Enacted "Gay Propaganda" Law Means Gay Olympic Athletes And Tourists Could Be Subject To Arrest During 2014 Winter Games
- IOC Says Russian Anti-LGBT Laws Won't Be Enforced At Olympics
- NY Times: Athletes In Sochi To Be Barred From Advocating Gay Causes Russia's minister of sports, Vitaly L. Mutko: "No one is forbidding a sportsman with a nontraditional sexual orientation to come to Sochi. But if he goes out on the street and starts to propagandize it, then of course he will be held accountable. Even if he's a sportsman, when he comes to a country, he should respect its laws."
- NBC: Russia's Anti-Gay Laws Become A Part Of The Olympic Narrative
- Olympic Champion Diver Greg Louganis Speaks Out On Russia's Anti-Gay Law
- USOC CEO Scott Blackmun: "These are serious issues but they are not solved by Olympic boycotts."
Doping News: 9 More Turkish Dopers Banned
- Alan Abrahamson Bashes Jamaican Anti-Doping Commission For Not Making A Serious Effort To Catch Drug Cheats Jamaica only conducted 106 tests in 2012, compared to the 4,051 by USADA or the 15,854 by the Russian National Anti-Doping Organization. Even the non-major players such as Iceland and Iran conducted more tests than Jamaica did last year.
- Nine More Turkish Track Athletes Get Drug Bans After Testing Positive For Steroids; Six Are Women Including Two Teenagers Eight were throwers and one 400 sprinter. Many of the cases had athletes testing positive for stanozolol (the steroid Ben Johnson used) and oral turinabol (the steroid used in state-sponsored East German doping in the 1970s and '80s).
All received two-year bans.
*Athletics Illustrated Opinion Piece On Turkish Dopers: "If you are going to be careless, or if your need for faster, higher, stronger outstrips the number of brain cells remaining in your addled brain, you will be martyred."
Other Drug News
- Good Interview With Paula Radcliffe, Who Calls For Tougher Penalties For Drug Cheats "We need to make the risks greater than benefits to potential cheats. Right now the deterrent is not strong enough. Cheats should be banned, fined, have to repay monies."
- Sergei Bubka Expects IOC To Approve Sanctions For Doping Offences By Athletes' Entourages During Executive Board Meeting In August He also calls for an increase from a two to four year minimum ban.
- IAAF Officially Annuls Results Of Belarusian Shot Putter Andrei Mikhnevich From 2005 Through Present As Results Of 2005 World Championships Doping Re-Tests He loses 4 World Championships medals and the IOC should eventually take away his 2008 Olympic bronze as well.
- Four Paralympic Powerlifters Banned For Doping
Close Diamond League Battles For Overall Series Winner Will Resume Post-Moscow IAAF update on the current point standings.
Kenya Sweeps 10,000m Podium At Deaflympics Simon Cherono ran 29:16 to win gold.
Doping News: Victor Conte Throws Out Some Major Accusations Against Jamaica
- Victor Conte (Man Behind The BALCO Scandal) Accuses Jamaican Government, Olympic Association And Anti-Doping Commission Of Helping Athletes To Get Away With Doping Conte: "Well I've believed for a long time that it is state-sponsored doping. I believe the Jamaican Olympic Committee is in on it, I believe the Jamaican Anti-Doping Commision is in on it ..."
*MB: Victor Conte Accuses Jamaica Of State-Sponsored Doping
- Jamaican Athletics Officials Angrily Dismiss Accusations Made By Conte JOA president Mike Fennell: "This is absolutely ridiculous, this is rubbish."
More Drug News
- TrackAlerts.com Writer Angry At WADA, The IAAF And Media For Not Putting Recent Failed Drug Texts Into Context "For every positive test of a top sprinter, the media and WADA are acting as if they were caught with something akin to human growth hormone (HGH) or steroid ..."
- Jamaican Drug-Testing Agency Aims To Penalise Athlete Support Staff (Agents, Coaches, Etc.) In Positive Doping Cases
- US's Former Two-Time Olympic 400H Champ Edwin Moses Running For WADA President
- InsideTheGames Says UK's Sir Craig Reedie (IOC Vice President) Is The Favorite To Replace John Fahey As WADA President France's former medical director of the IOC Patrick Schamasch is the third candidate. The IOC will choose one of the three in a meeting in Moscow next week.
- Seb Coe: "I think it would be unrealistic of me to say that we are ever going to reach a period where we will be entirely free from the scourge of drugs ... ... But ... we are taking this more seriously than we have ever taken it before."
- AP: "Doping already overshadows track worlds."
- A New Low: Pat McQuaid Attempting To Change UCI Constitution In Order To Keep Himself In Power As President British Cycling Pres Brian Cookson: "What sort of organisation attempts to rewrite the rules once an election has actually begun - it smacks of attempted dictatorship."
More On Farah Vs. Bolt Race
- AW: Fans Divided Over Who Will Win Farah Vs. Bolt 600 Match-Up But Bookies Rightly Call Farah The Odds-On-Favorite Bookmaker Coral lists Farah as the 8/15 odds-on favorite, while odds for Bolt to win are 11/8.
- Telegraph Poll Has Farah With 54.13% Of The Votes To Bolt's 45.87% Well, of course, it's a UK newspaper.
Mo Farah / Usain Bolt News: Bolt Accepts Farah's Race Challenge *London 2 Day Photo Gallery
- Usain Bolt Accepts Mo Farah's Challenge To Race Over 600m Bolt: "That sounds fun. It's going to be hard but it's charity so it's all about fun and enjoyment ... 600 for sure I can try because I've done 600 metres in training, but not 1,500 metres."
- Head Professor Of Exercise & Sport Science At Manchester Metropolitan University Says Mo Farah Would Definitely Win Over 600 Meters Professor Neil Fowler: "At that distance it's an aerobic event ... top speed won't matter. ... Every day of the week Mo Farah would win that race over 600m." We agree it should be less than 600m.
- Mo Farah Asked UK Performance Director If He Could Triple 1,500-5,000-10,000 At Worlds, But The Moscow Schedule Didn't Allow It Farah: "I was serious but he said no because it didn't fit in with the timetable. I didn't even tell my own coach Alberto Salazar!"
*MB: Mo Farah Wanted To Triple: 1500, 5000 and 10,000
- IAAF President Lamine Diack Says There Would Never Be A Cover-Up If Bolt Tested Positive Diack: "If he tests positive, he tests positive. It would be a disaster for our sport but we would have to say he is positive. But I hope that doesn't happen because we don't need that."
The Amputee / Blade Length Debate Continues: Oliviera Proves Theory Which Said Double Amputees (Pistorius) Have An Advantage
- Recommended Read: Double Amputee Sprinter Alan Oliviera Destroys The 100m WR With 10.57 And Re-Ignites Blade Length Controversy From The Olympics The Science of Sport's Ross Tucker analyzes the issue and asks if it is all about leg length and how the IPC/IAAF will deal with this issue as amputees try and race in able-bodied races.
- Telegraph: "Britain's Jonnie Peacock finishes third in amputee 100 metres but debate over the length of blades reopens." US's single-leg amputee WR holder Richard Brown: "There's going to be more than one in the able-bodied Olympics by 2016. The IAAF are going to have to be ready. They have no choice. 10.57 - they have no choice but to get ready. They just need to get their rules ready, that's all I'm saying."
- Independent: "In 2016 will the blade runners be racing Usain Bolt?" GB's Jonnie Peacock disagrees with Browne and says, "I think we might edge towards 10.5 and maybe a sub-10.5, who knows? But from 10.8 to 10.0 is a massive ask. You can't see an amputee running sub-10 ... maybe if they're 20 ft. tall."
Post-London DL Distance News *Full London Results *2 Day Photo Gallery
UK British Athletics Are Set After Raking In $14 Million At Anniversary Games The Brits even managed to sell out day 3 for the Paralympics.
.Mo Farah: Mo Farah Challenges Usain Bolt To Race - Wants Distance To Be Chosen By "Proper" Athletic Fans *Discuss
*Mo Farah "Training Harder Than Ever" To Stay At The Top *Video
*Mo Is Training So Hard His Twin Daughter Started Crying As She Didn't Recognize Her Dad As He's Been At Altitude For So Long
*Farah To Focus On Marathon After Worlds - Might Come Back To Track If He's Not Good At Marathon
Mark English: Mark English Missed Irish 800 Record By .02 In London With 1:44.84 - But Is Now Just 2nd Irishman Ever Under 1:45 Don't know about the 20-year-old? Read previous MB talk of him below:
*MB: 2013: Mark English- 800m (this is the most underrated youngster outside africa)
*MB: 2012: Another talented 800m junior
*MB: 2011: New Irish junior 800m record - 1:47.09
19-Year-Old European Jr. 1,500 Champion Jake Wightman Picked His Parents Well - Dad Is Olympic Announcer, Mom Was Olympic Marathoner
Post-London DL Non- Distance News
- Usain Bolt Tips British Teenager Delano Williams To Be A "Great"
- Great Britain's Relay Team Give Another Keystone Cops Impression
- British Sprinters Sigh Petition To let Kim Collins Run Worlds
- Sprint Coach Who Thinks 60% Of Top 16 100 Sprinters Are Doped Tells You Why Kim Collins Is Clean
- Track And Field Might Return To Olympic Stadium In 2015 On Temporary Track, Rather Than 2016 As Originally Thought
- Did You Know? Valerie Adams' SP Win Streak Is Now At 38 Competitions And Nearly 3 Years Long
2013 Worlds Start Saturday *Schedule *LRC Previews: *800m *800w *1500m *1500w *10,000m *10,000w *SteepleM *SteepleW
LRC Men's Steeple Preview: Can Ezekiel Kemboi Take Global Title Number Five Before Conseslus Kipruto Takes Over? Can Evan Jager Medal Ezekiel Kemboi versus Conseslus
Kipruto for the win with Olympic silver medalist Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad, two more Kenyans and Evan Jager in the mix.
LRC Women’s Steeple Preview: Yuliya Zaripova Looks For Gold Medal Number Three – Can An American Make The Final? Russia’s Yuliya Zaripova is the heavy favorite, but could be challenged by Morocco’s Habiba Ghribi or Kenya’s Milcah Chemos.
More Worlds News:
- Good Read: Nick Symmonds: Why I Want To Medal At The World Championships Symmonds talks about being disappointed with 5th at the Olympics and the fame, national pride and money that comes along with medaling.
- Good Bolt Article: Usain Bolt Says He Wants To Do Something Special In Moscow To Settle Any Doubts That's He's The best "I know that in Moscow I've not only got to win. All these guys are missing, so I've got to run real fast to settle any doubts."
- After Plane Delays, Kenya's World Team Departs For Moscow Head coach Sammy Rono had some inspirational(?) words for the men's 1500 team saying, “Asbel [Kiprop], [Nixon] Chepseba and [Silas] Kiplagat failed to secure medals in London and if they fail this time, it will appear deliberate.”
- GB's Dai Greene Fears Track Could Be On It's Way To A "Lance Armstrong Moment" Of It's Own With All The Doping Positives “Cycling had its horrible moment for a few years probably and it culminated with Lance, and athletics seems to be heading the same way."
*Greene Heads To Moscow Not Having Jumped A Hurdle In 3 Weeks Due To Calf Injury
- Kenya's Janeth Jepkosgei Hoping For Better Things In Moscow After She Was Only 7th At The London Olympics, Failing To Medal At A Major Championship For The First Time In A Decade She has many global medals including a World gold from 2007.
- A Look At The Prize Money Offered At Moscow World Champs Including A $100,000 Bonus For A WR Provided By TDK And Toyota IAAF World champions get $60,000, but it drops off quickly from there as 8th place only gets $4,000.
- Brett Larner's World Championships Marathon Japanese Women's and Men's Previews
- AP: Usain Bolt runs to the rescue at worlds in Moscow
- IAAF Jumps Previews: *Men's Triple Jump *Women's Triple Jump *Men's LJ *Women's LJ *Men's Pole Vault *Women's PV *Men's HJ *Women's HJ
- President Barack Obama On Jay Leno Show: Russia has 'big stake in making sure' Olympics work for LGBT community USA Today
- A Look At US's Top Medal Hopes In The Field Events Brittney Reese and Christian Taylorare both defending world champions and Olympic champions.
Previous Worlds News
- Kenyan Team Stranded In Nairobi As Fuel Shortage Grounds All Planes Out Of Kenya They were asked to deplane after boarding their flight to Moscow.
- DailyNation Reports Ezekiel Kemboi Could Miss Worlds As He Went Against Athletics Kenya's Wishes By Changing His Flight At The Last Minute And Not Traveling With Team He said he didn't want to go early because “the Moscow weather would affect him”.
- Does Jamaica's Warren Weir Think He Can Beat Bolt? "I am looking forward to go on the podium again, higher up the podium, and also with a faster time and ...that shiny gold medal."
- Defending World 400H Champ Dai Greene Has Pulled Out Of The Last Two DL Meets With Injuries But Says He'll Be On The Moscow Starting Line "No Matter What Is Wrong With Him"
- Nesta Carter Aims To Capitalise On Lucky Break As He Only Finished 4th At The Jamaican Trials In The 100, But Will Get To Compete After Yohan Blake Withdrew With Injury
- IAAF Inside Athletics Episode 28: Ato Boldon Interviews Tirunesh Dibaba
- Independent: Greg Rutherford, the forgotten man of Olympics ready to leap into public eye
- Quick Video With Bolt In Moscow
- A Look Back At The History Of The World Championships Which Were First Held In 1983
- Russian Athlete Says Track Only Gets Attention During The Olympics In Russia Too
- GB's Young Heptathlete Katarina Johnson-Thompson Says She Doesn't Feel Any Extra Pressure With Jessica Ennis Pulling Out And Doesn't Expect A Medal She is only ranked 12th going in and is hoping to finish top-8.
*Johnson-Thompson Says She'll Miss Having "Inspirational" Jessica Ennis There As A Teammate Johnson-Thompson was dubbed the "next Jessica Ennis" when she broke Ennis' UK junior record.
- USATF Looks At Top Medal Hopes For Moscow
- IAAF Event-By-Event Previews
*Men's Decathlon: Olympic Champ Ashton Eaton Vs 2011 World Champ Trey Hardee
*Women's Heptathlon Preview: No Olympic Champ Or Defending World Champ As Jessica Ennis And Russia's Tatyana Chernova Out With Injury
*Women's Hammer Throw *Men's Javelin *Men's Discus *Men's Shot Put *Women's Javelin *Men's Hammer Throw *Women's Discus *Women's Shot Put
- IOC Vice President Says "Quiet Diplomacy" Will Resolve Issues Over Russia's Anti-Gay Laws For The 2014 Winter Olympics
- Notes From IAAF Council Meeting In Moscow
- What Are The Odds This Race Actually Happens? Bolt Talks About Mo Farah 600m Challenge: "We don't know if it will happen, but we'll definitely be thinking about it, to see if it possibly could fit in our schedules."
- Paula Radcliffe Says Mo Farah Is "Striking Fear Into His Opponents," Who Are "Struggling To Finds Ways To Beat Him" She also said, "I know they cannot run away from him either."
- Kenya's Version Of Morgan Uceny: Helen Obiri Was Involved In Both Falls With Uceny At The 2011 World Champs & 2012 Games And His Hoping To Stay On Her Feet In Moscow She went down in 2011 and had to jump over Uceny and go way wide in 2012.
- Yelena Isinbayeva Gives Mixed Statements On Her Retirement After Worlds Telling Some She Would Be Done And Others She'll Take A Break & Return In 2016 If her quotes here are accurate, she also sounds quite full of herself with statements such as, "I'm not interested in [what rivals are doing]. What they're doing now is what I was doing a long time ago. They're going where others have already been. But it was I who showed that everything is possible."
- UK Independent Looks At 10 Of The Potential Stars Of Next Weekend's World Championships Sub-2:00 18-year-old Jessica Judd and English Gardner top their list.
- All Nigeria's Medal Hopes For Moscow Rests On 10.79 Sprinter Blessing Okagbare, Who Will Compete In The 100, 200 And LJ She's won a DL competition in all three events this year.
- After Bronze Medals At The 2009 And 2011 World Championships, Milcah Chemos Is Looking To Win Steeplechase Gold In Moscow
- IAAF Issues Statement On Russian Anti-Gay Laws And Says They Won't Be An Issue For Worlds
- Usain Bolt Says Rivals' Absence Will Not Affect His Worlds Title Focus Bolt: "So for me I'm really motivated to go and show the world that even without nobody there I can still win. So I'm focused, and I'm ready to go," he said.
- Kenyan Jav Thrower Julius Yego Awaits Stiff Competition In Moscow
- Renaud Lavillenie IAAF Online Diary About His Emotional Roller Coaster And Up And Down Performances In July It ended on a good note though as he set a PR with 6.02 at the London DL.
- UK Performance Director Neil Black Says That The Brit Team For Worlds Is Better Than The Team They Had For Last Year's London Games Hard argument to make considering a bunch of injuries and no Jessica Ennis in Moscow.
- RunnersTribe Look At Australia's Men's Medal Chances For Moscow World Champs
- Bolt Determined Not To False Start At Worlds
- Reuters Says A Lot At Worlds Is Riding On Bolt
- Olympic Long Jump Champ Greg Rutherford Says He's Ready For Worlds After Hamstring Injury Rutherford almost wasn't put on the British team.
- Blessing Okagbare Vs. Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce In Women's 100m Will Be A Good One At Worlds
- James Dasaolu Hoping To Become Britain's First Male Individual Sprint Medalist In 10 Years
- 2008 Olympic Champ Nancy Langat Likes Kenyan Chances In 1,500m At Worlds
- Record 206 Nations To Compete At Worlds 56% of them are men.
- Kenya's President Uhuru Hands Over The National Flag To Track Team As They Leave For Moscow
- Amazing: Marathoner Hendrik Ramaala Competing In 6th Worlds At Age 41 "I may be 41 officially, but I still feel as if I am 20."
- Canadian Shot Putter Dylan Armstrong Rips Dopers Who Cost Him Olympic Bronze For 5 Years
- Past Drug Supension Didn't Stop Brits From Naming Christine Ohuruogu As Team Captain
- Coach Says Jessica Ennis-Hill Might Have Ruined Career If She Competed On Injured Achilles
- New Inside Athletics Released: Ato Boldon With Felix Sanchez
- Q&A With American Record Holder In Shot Put, Michelle Carter, In Wejo's Hometown Ft. Worth Star-Telegram
- Q&A With Jon Drummond In Star-Telegram - No Questions About His Work With Tyson Gay
- These People Won't Be There:
- Vlasic: Season Over, Not Career
- Catching Up With Former Stanford 800/1,500 Record Holder Malindi Elmore
- Rudisha's Coach Says Abs, Core And Doing Less (Not Racing Practice) Is Key To Success
IAAF Pays For Travel Of Many Small Federations
World Championships News
- Interesting IAAF Article On The Mondo Italian Based Company Which Has Provided The Track Surface For All The Olympics Since 1976 Article takes a look at the track surface building process and why Mondo's "pre-fabricated" material is the best in the business.
- AP: Bolt Prepares For Worlds That's Missing Top Stars Ato Boldon: "I'd be lying if I said we have the normal anticipation and hype going into the worlds. The fans, on social media, they're like, 'I'll watch, but it's not like I can see Gay vs. Bolt.' It's not what it could've been."
- 1,500 Runner Abeba Aregawi Leads Sweden's Moscow Medal Hopes
- Kirani James IAAF Online Diary: Talks About How He Went To Watch The US Championships In Des Moines And Enjoyed Being A Spectator
- World Leading Jumpers Lead Ukraine's Team of 61 For Moscow World Champs 2011 TJ World champ Olha Saladuha and 2.41 HJer Bohdan Bondarenko are their best medal hopes.
- Germany's Javelin Thrower Christina Obergfoll Hoping To Win Her First Ever Major International Title In Moscow She's 31, but has never won gold as she was 2nd at the 2005 and 2007 World Champs, 5th in 2009 and 4th in 2011 and was 2nd at the 2012 Games and 3rd in 2008. She was also runner-up at the past two European Championships.
- Interesting IAAF Profile On Russian Jav Thrower Dmitry Tarabin, Who Used To Be A Pro Baseball Player And Is Married To Olympic Medalist Maria Abakumova He made a big breakthrough this year, winning the European Team Championships and throwing a world-leading 88.84m.
- Sprinter Blessing Okagbare Leads Nigerian Team Of 20 For World Champs
- Former Olympic Heptathlon Champ Denise Lewis Thinks Jessica Ennis Is Making Right Choice By Skipping Worlds Saying She Has More To Lose Than To Gain
*Ennis Faces Up To 15 Weeks Off For Her Achilles Injury
- Jamaican 4 X 100 That Competed At The London DL Meet Gives Good Hint Of What The Final Lineup Will Be In Moscow
Latest Pre-Moscow Updates: Jessica Ennis Pulls Out
- Athletics South Africa Request For An Exception For Caster Semenya Denied By The IAAF She only missed the "B" standard by .36 seconds.
- List Of 25 Top Stars Who Will Miss The World Championships
- What's The Medal Chances For Your Favorite US Distance Runner? RunFanShop.com Gives US Moscow Medal Odds For All Distance Athletes Starts with Nick Symmonds and Duane Solomon at 2-1 all the way down to the 99-1'ers.
- Kenyan Head Coach Sammy Rono Happy To See Tirunesh Dibaba And Meseret Defar Doubling Up In Moscow Rono: "It is not good for them to double. It will put them in trouble. They will not replay Vivian Cheruiyot's feat in Daegu."
- Usain Bolt Says He Can Still Break His 100 And 200 WRs And Would Like To Get The 200 Under 19 Seconds "There's still a lot more to come from me. My objective is to continue to win gold medals in my sport, all the way up to the 2016 Olympics."
- Jessica Ennis Pulls Out Of Moscow World Champs With Achilles Injury
*Ennis Will Look To Getting Healthy And Ready To Compete During The 2014 Indoor Season
*UK Star Athletes Jessica Ennis-Hill, Rory McIlroy And Jenson Button Have Horrible Years After Starring In A Money Merchant Commercial Together
*Paula Radcliffe Predicts Ennis Will Come Back From Injury Stronger
*The Telegraph Looks Back At Ennis' 7 Events At The Olympics Last Year
- *The Telegraph Asks Where Are They Now?: Where Are Team GB's London 2012 Stars One Year On From The Games? This headline after The Telegraph recently criticized the BBC for being "overly nostalgic."
- Carrie Tollefson Interviews Deena Kastor Ahead Of Her World Champs Marathon Run
- GB LJer Chris Tomlinson Angry Greg Rutherford Was Chosen Over Him For Moscow As He Feels He Is "In Better Current Form"
- Jamaican Sprinter Kemar Bailey-Cole Feels Good About Their 4 X 100 For Worlds After 37.74 MR At London DL He feels with some better exchanges they can go much faster.
- Canada Names 46 To World Championships Team
- Discus World Leader Piotr Malachowski And Two-Time Olympic SP Champ Tomasz Majewski Lead Poland World Champs Squad
- Belarus Names Team Of 27 For Moscow: 2008 Olympic Decathlon Silver Winner Andrei Krauchanka Leads Medal Hopes
- China Names Team For Moscow
- Moscow 2013 Statistics Book Available For Download On IAAF Website
More Pre-Moscow News
- The Women's HJ Just Got A Little Less Interesting: Blanka Vlasic Will Miss Worlds As She Has Too Much Foot Pain From Competing In The Monaco DL Meet Many were anticipating the 3-way battle between Vlasic, Olympic
champ Anna Chicherova and US's Olympic silver medalist Brigetta Barrett.
*Inside Athletics #26: Ato Boldon Interview With Blanka Vlasic
- Kim Collins Could Still Run In Moscow After Online Petition He said there are tentative talks taking place between his people and the St. Kitts and Nevis Amateur Athletic Association (SKNAAA).
- Russia's 2011 World Heptathlon Champ Tatyana Cherova Has Pulled Out Of Moscow With Knee Injury This might make Jessica Ennis' decision on whether or not to go to Worlds a little easier.
*Host Russia Names 119 Athletes To World Champs Squad
*Russian Team Includes 9 Defending World Champions
- Jamaican 800 NR Holder Kenia Sinclair And Discus Thrower Jason Morgan Angry They Were Left Off Jamaican Worlds Team Sinclair was in a car accident which kept her out for most of the season and claims she was ignored by the federation. We don't see how it matters, though, as she hasn't run under even the "B" mark of 2:01.50 since 2011. Morgan, on the other hand, has the "B."
- Usain Bolt Learns Russian (Video)
- Ireland Names Team Of 11 For Worlds; Irish Examiner Refers To Them As "Hugely Inexperienced"
- Cuba Sending 25 Athletes To Moscow: Olympic Pole Vault Silver Medallist Yarisley Silva Leads Team's Gold Medal Hopes
- 400 Olympic Silver Medalist Christine Ohuruogu Named As Captain Of British Team For Moscow
- German Team Of 67 Athletes Named For Moscow: Discus Olympic Champ Robert Harting Among Gold Medal Favorites
- The Guardian: From The Archive, 30 July 1984: Russia Boycotts Los Angeles Olympics
- Spanish Team Named
- 46 Named To Australian World Team
News In The US
- Meb Keflezighi Had Originally Thought Of Retiring After This Year, But Now Is Considering Extending His Career To Rio 2016 Merhawi, his brother and agent, said, "During our book signings and appearance tour after the Olympics, everyone was asking about 2016. Slowly Meb went from saying 'No way' to 'We'll see.'"
- 2-Time NCAA Champ Ashley Spencer Follows Her Coach Tonja Buford-Bailey From Illinois To Texas
- Driver Arrested For Deliberately Hitting Runner Twice The victim escaped without any major injuries.
Who Is Going To Moscow? Countries Start Naming Their Teams
- US 800 Medal Chances Keep Going Up: Botswana's Olympic 800 Silver Medalist Nijel Amos Has Pulled Out Of The World Championships With An Injury FB post by Amos. Amos last competed on July 19th when he won the World University Games in 1:46.53. Message board thread here. That means all the London medallists are out of Worlds.
- Ethiopian Team Announced: Tirunesh Dibaba And Meseret Defar Both Doing 5k/10k Double No non-distance athletes, no Kenenisa Bekele.
- Decision On Whether Or Not Jessica Ennis Will Compete At Worlds To Be Made In Next Couple Days; UK Performance Director Says There Is A "Good Chance"
- Olympic LJ Champ Greg Rutherford On UK Team After Passing "Fitness Test"
- USATF Officially Names Moscow 2013 Team Includes 9 reigning world champions and 20 individual Olympic medalists from London.
- Olympic Pole Vault Champion Renaud Lavillenie Leads French Team Christophe Lemaitre will double up in the 100 and 200.
- IAAF Spanish National Champs Recap: Cornell's Bruno Hortelano Won The 200 In 20.58
- IAAF Italian National Champs Recap: Marzia Caravelli Wins 100 Hurdles And 200 Double
- Jamaica Names Their Roster: Usain Bolt And Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Lead The Team
*110H Bronze Medalist Hansle Parchment On Jamaican Team Despite Rumors He Would Pull Out Due To Ankle Injury From Earlier In The Season His coach says his training hasn't been great as he's still dealing with the injury, but that he will race in Moscow.
- Australia Moscow 2013 Team Named
- Zuzana Hejnova And Jav Thrower Vitezslav Vesely Highlight Czech Team For Moscow
- SA's Olympic Finalist 110 Hurdler Lehann Fourie Pulls Out Of World Champs With Ankle Injury
Australia's Run For Your Life Magazine Features Yuki Kawauchi On Cover And Has Extended Story/Interview By Brett Larner Kawauchi: "I will never become the fastest runner, but I'm doing my best to become the strongest."
Recommended Read: Kenyans And Russians Most Tested Athletes By IAAF - What Individuals Were Tested The Most? Alan Abrahamson tells you all you need to know.
Moscow WCs Start In Less Than Two Weeks
- 33 Years Too Late, Former 110H Star Renaldo Nehemiah Will Be Going To Moscow For First Time This Year Nehemiah, the first guy under 13.00, was a big favorite for 1980 gold until Jimmy Carter got involved.
- Kenyan 10k Champ Bidan Karoki Wants To See How Mo Farah Looks If Kenyans Set Hot Pace In Moscow
- In Last Race Before Worlds, Yuki Kawauchi Breaks 30km Course Record (1:33:27)
- After 2 Straight Bronzes, Milcah Chemos Looking To Upgrade Medal Color In Moscow The woman who only started running at age 20 has raced less this year.
Random US News
- 56% Of US Race Finishers Are Women, 40% Of Race Finishes Come In 5ks, Just 3% In Marathons
- Next Weekend's 2013 Beach To Beacon Will Feature Strongest American Field Ever With Olympians Meb, Deena And Ryan Hall
- USATF's Jr. Olympics Conclude
Go Figure: Caster Semenya Wins Again, Remains Undefeated, But Won't Be Going To Worlds As She Didn't Run 2:01.50 You can watch the race video here. "Bizarre" is all we can say. It's almost as if Semenya and her people don't want to go Moscow as there seemingly were no rabbits and Semenya went from last to first in the span of 70 meters.
Think The Sub-2-Hour Marathon Is On The Horizon? Think Again
LRC The Myth Of The Sub-2-Hour Marathon The mainstream media thinks it may be close but in reality most people reading this will be dead when it happens.
*Science of Sport's Ross Tucker agrees: Pacing, fatigue and the brain. Lessons from London.
*MB: Sub 2 Hour Marathon Discussion: My Thoughts and Yours
Non-Worlds Pro News
- Interesting Science Of The Sport's Ross Tucker Takes A Scientific Look At Who Would Win Between Mo Farah And Usain Bolt Over 600m He predicts Farah would win over 600m and that a truly equal distance would fall somewhere between 500 and 550 meters. He also said if you gave them both a month to specifically train for the 600, it would be a complete toss up.
- Lolo Jones Makes Twitter Jokes (One At The Expense Of Recently Suspended MLB Player Ryan Braun) About Getting Drug Tested At Her Birthday Party
- NYRR Quote Rojo's Article About How We're No Where Near The Sub-2 Hour Marathon
*Rojo's original article
- UK Champs 110H 3rd Placer Nick Gayle Is Also A Professional Model
31 More Turks Banned, Bringing Total to 40 in Last Week
Recommended Read: Alan Abrahmson on Turkey's Awful Doping Scandal Abrahmson wonders who is doping these Turks. 20 of the 31 are under 23. Does a 16-year old girl dope on her own or does someone lead/force her to do it?
*MB: 31 TURKEYS ATHLETES BUSTED FOR PEDS!!!!
Nick Willis Falls Just Short Of Michigan Record For State's Fastest Mile New dad Nick Willis deserves a big Thumbs Up for organizing the mile race himself in Saline, Michigan. He came up short of the Michigan record but won in 3:56.57 ahead of Dan Clark (3:57.40) and Miles Batty (3:58.06) as seven broke 4:00.00. *Video Of Race (updated with better video)
US Commentators Should Read This: Interesting IAAF Interview With Steve Cram: From World Champion To World Class Commentator You might be surprised at the amount of work that goes into commentating for major track meets. Cram also talks about being really nervous before some major races, almost like before you are competing yourself.
Book Review - Sports Gene Is Now Out
LRC Sports Gene By David Epstein: A Must-Read For All Coaches If you are a serious about wanting to understand elite sport performance, you've got to read the first book published by Sports Illustrated writer and former Columbia 800 runner (and LRC friend) David
Epstein. Whether you want to know the keys to being a prodigy in distance running, or how to make it in the Majors in baseball, or how to dominate the Iditarod dog race, Epstein's got you covered. He even tells you the one thing you need to have to have a 17% chance of making it to the NBA. The book is out now.
*Q&A With David Epstein With Runner's World
*MB: Sports Gene By David Epstein
- This Sunday: Nick Willis Organizes Elite Mile Track Race At Local High School In Saline
Ann Arbor, Michigan Along with Willis, the field will include Jordan McNamara, Miles Batty, Liam Boylan-Pett and a slew of other sub-4 milers who will all try to break the record for fastest mile ran in Michigan; 3:55.87 by Kevin Sullivan in 2000.
- Recently-Retired Olympic Sprinter Lauryn Williams Finishes 3rd In US Bobsled Push Championships Lolo Jones was fifth.
- Shannon Rowbury Jokes On Twitter How The Story On Her "Mentoring" Lindsay Lohan Has Been Getting Her More Attention Than Any Of Her Track Accomplishments
- Amy Yoder Begley Named As UConn Women's Cross Country Head Coach
- Running Times Article Asks If Steve Prefontaine Would Be A Race Director If He Was Alive Today
- Tim Singleton, Peachtree Road Race Founder, Dies At 76
Chinese Paralympic Discus Champion Selling Medal To Pay For Medical Treatment "In the past I traded medals for my health while now I want to sell the medals for the sake of my health."
US News: Lindsay Lohan Fan Of Shannon Rowbury?
- Shannon Rowbury New Mentor/Coach For Lindsay Lohan According to this report, they met in the Nike store and have been exchanging training emails.
- Recently Retired 2004 100m Olympic Silver Medalist Lauryn Williams Trying A Move To Bobsled She will compete Thursday in the U.S. Bobsled Push Championships in Calgary, Alberta.
- Sacramento Bidding For 2014 USATF Nationals
Extensive Gary Cohen Interview With 1956 Olympic 800 Champ Tom Courtney Courtney was also anchor on the US's Olympic gold winning 4 x 400m relay.
Week That Was
LRC What Did We Learn From The London DL?, Fast US "B" Teamers, Gabe Jennings Is A Lucky Man, And We Know Who Is Winning The Women's Steeple The final Diamond League meet and the Russian Champs are in the books and we turn our attention to Worlds. The US chances for Moscow are looking great in the distances. What else did we learn from London? Click to find out. Plus Tyson Gay tested positive a second time.
Upcoming Road Action: Farah Vs. Bekele Vs. Haile G Over A Half Marathon
- August 3rd: Meb Keflezighi, Ryan Hall And Deena Kastor Racing Saturday's Beach To Beacon 10K Men's field includes defending champ Stanley Biwott, 2:04 marathoners Emmanuel Mutai and Dino Sefir, former World Jr. XC Champ Geoffrey Kipsang, and 2008 Olympic 10k bronze medalist Micah Kogo. The women are led by CR holder Lineth Chepkurui in a field that includes Linet Masai, Joyce Chepkirui, Buzunesh Deba, Sara Hall, Diane Nukuri-Johnson and Alexi Pappas.
- August 9th: Jordan McNamara Leads Deep Field For GNC Live Well Liberty Mile In Pittsburgh Field includes Matt Elliot, Miles Batty, Liam Boylan-Pett and Ben Bruce.
*Olympic Marathoner Magdalena Lewy Boulet Will Celebrate 40th Birthday Competing At USA Masters 1 Mile Road Champs At GNC Liberty Mile
*McNamara Inspires Pittsburgh's Youth To Run GNC Live Well Liberty Mile
- August 11th: Falmouth Announces Its Elite Fields: Defending Champion Stanley Biwott Faces Chris Solinsky, Luke Puskedra & German Fernandez Also Boston Marathon 2nd placer Micah Kogo. Women's field led by Utica Boilermaker champion Lineth Chepkurui, who will face past Falmouth champ Wude Ayalew and Americans Neely Spence, Stephanie Rothstein-Bruce, Julia Lucas and Delilah DiCrescenzo.
- Dream Match-Up Set For September 15th: Mo Farah, Kenenisa Bekele And Haile Gebrselassie Will Clash Over Half Marathon At Bupa Great North Run Geb: "I can still compete at the highest level and I look forward to giving both of them a run for their money." This will be Bekele's half debut.
- Coach Renato Canova Picks Bekele Over Farah In The Half "Given that the race takes place about a month after the World Championships, I think it will be hard for Mo against Bekele ... From this duel forget Haile ..."
- Slew Of Americans Running 2013 ING NYC Marathon: Meb, Ryan And Kara Running NYC They'll be joined by US Olympians Janet Bawcom, Amy Hastings and Julie Culley in her debut. Also, top Boston finisher Jason Hartmann, Ryan Vail, Jeff Eggleston, Adriana Nelson, Alisha Williams and Mattie Suver will be in NY. *Discuss
IAAF President Lamine Diack Warns Turkey That Their Doping Problems Are Seriously Jeopardizing Their 2020 Olympic Bid And They Need To "Clean House" Diack: "They cannot bid for the Olympics if they cannot control their athletes."
Telegraph Writer Bashes BBC And Other Brits For Getting "Prematurely Nostalgic" About The Olympics During The London Anniversary Games Bashes some athletes too with jokes such as "Except one thing has not altered. As was shown by the GB team in the 100-metre relay, it still appears well beyond the capabilities of a quartet of British men to pass a baton to each other."
Make Your Online Vote For The Bowerman Choices for the men are Lawi Lalang, Derek Drouin and Julian Wruck, and for the women, Brigetta Barrett, Kori Carter and Brianna Rollins.
2013 Wharf To Wharf 6 Miler *Top 10 Results *MB Talk
In Road Debut, American Emily Infeld Cruises To Women's Title At 41st Annual Wharf To Wharf (Article updated) Despite what the article says, the race is 6 miles, not 10k.
MB: EMILY INFELD 30:52!!
Kenyan Nelson Oyugi Wins 41st Annual Wharf To Wharf In Convincing Fashion Local favorite Brett Gotcher was a career-best 3rd, Ben Bruce 5th, Lemoncello 6th, Scott Bauhs 9th and Solinsky was 10th. German Fernandez was a DNS.
*MB: Official 2013 Wharf to Wharf Predictions/Race Thread
Pre-Race: Former American Record Holder Chris Solinsky Hopes To Become The First American Wharf To Wharf Winner Since 1995
*Chris Solinsky Headlines 2013 Wharf To Wharf Race Elite Field
*Hometown Hero, Brett Gotcher, Takes Shot At Title
*Top 10 Moments In Wharf To Wharf History
Non-London News - 2013 Bix 7 Miler *Top 10 Bix Results
Former Iona Star Leonard Korir Wins Quad-City Times Bix 7 Meb was third, Desi 10th.
(Meb 3rd, Desi 10th)