Today's Doping News: 9 More Turkish Dopers Banned
- Alan Abrahamson Bashes Jamaican Anti-Doping Commission For Not Making A Serious Effort To Catch Drug Cheats Jamaica only conducted 106 tests in 2012, compared to the 4,051 by USADA or the 15,854 by the Russian National Anti-Doping Organization. Even the non-major players such as Iceland and Iran conducted more tests than Jamaica did last year.
- Nine More Turkish Track Athletes Get Drug Bans After Testing Positive For Steroids; Six Are Women Including Two Teenagers Eight were throwers and one 400 sprinter. Many of the cases had athletes testing positive for stanozolol (the steroid Ben Johnson used) and oral turinabol (the steroid used in state-sponsored East German doping in the 1970's and 80's).
All received two year bans.
*Athletics Illustrated Opinion Piece On Turkish Dopers: If you are going to be careless, or if your need for faster, higher, stronger outstrips the number of breain cells remaining in your addled brain, you will be martyred."
Other Drug News
- Good Interview With Paula Radcliffe Who Calls For Tougher Penalties For Drug Cheats "We need to make the risks greater than benefits to potential cheats. Right now the deterrent is not strong enough. Cheats should be banned, fined, have to repay monies."
- Sergei Bubka Expects IOC To Approve Sanctions For Doping Offences By Athletes' Entourages During Executive Board Meeting In August He also calls for an increase from a two to four year minimum ban.
- IAAF Officially Annuls Results Of Belarusian Shot Putter Andrei Mikhnevich From 2005 Through Present As Results Of 2005 World Championships Doping Re-TestsT He loses 4 World Championships medals and the IOC should eventually take away his 2008 Olympic bronze as well.
- Four paralympic powerlifters banned for doping
Close Diamond League Battles For Overall Series Winner Will Resume Post-Moscow IAAF update on the current point standings.
Kenya sweep 10,000m podium at Deaflympics Simon Cherono ran 29:16 to win gold.
Doping News: Victor Conte Throws Out Some Major Accusations Against Jamaica
- Victor Conte (Man Behind The BALCO Scandal) Accuses Jamaican Government, Olympic Association And Anti-Doping Commission Of Helping Athletes To Get Away With Doping Conte: "Well I’ve believed for a long time that it is state-sponsored doping. I believe the Jamaican Olympic Committee is in on it, I believe the Jamaican Anti-Doping Commision is in on it ..."
*MB: Victor Conte Accuses Jamaica Of State-Sponsored Doping
- Jamaican Athletics Officials Angrily Dismiss Accusations Made By Conte JOA president Mike Fennell: "This is absolutely ridiculous, this is rubbish."
More Drug News
- TrackAlerts.com Writer Angry At WADA, The IAAF And Media For Not Putting Recent Failed Drug Texts Into Context "For every positive test of a top sprinter, the media and WADA are acting as if they were caught with something akin to human growth hormone (HGH) or steroid ..."
- Jamaican Drug-Testing Agency Aims To Penalise Athlete Support Staff (Agents, Coaches, Etc.) In Positive Doping Cases
- US's Former Two-Time Olympic 400H Champ Edwin Moses Running For WADA President
- InsideTheGames Says UK's Sir Craig Reedie (IOC Vice President) Is The Favorite To Replace John Fahey As WADA President France's former medical director of the IOC Patrick Schamasch is the third candidate. The IOC will choose one of the three in a meeting in Moscow next week.
- Seb Coe: "I think it would be unrealistic of me to say that we are ever going to reach a period where we will be entirely free from the scourge of drugs ... ... But ... we are taking this more seriously than we have ever taken it before."
- AP: "Doping already overshadows track worlds."
- A New Low: Pat McQuaid Attempting To Change UCI Constitution In Order To Keep Himself In Power As President British Cycling Pres Brian Cookson: "What sort of organisation attempts to rewrite the rules once an election has actually begun - it smacks of attempted dictatorship."
More On Farah Vs. Bolt Race
- AW: Fans Divided Over Who Will Win Farah Vs. Bolt 600 Match-Up But Bookies Rightly Call Farah The Odds-On-Favorite Bookmaker Coral lists Farah as the 8/15 odds-on favorite, while odds for Bolt to win are 11/8.
- Telegraph Poll Has Farah With 54.13% Of The Votes To Bolt's 45.87% Well, of course, it's a UK newspaper.
Mo Farah / Usain Bolt News: Bolt Accepts Farah's Race Challenge *London 2 Day Photo Gallery
- Usain Bolt Accepts Mo Farah's Challenge To Race Over 600m Bolt: "That sounds fun. It's going to be hard but it's charity so it's all about fun and enjoyment ... 600 for sure I can try because I've done 600 metres in training, but not 1,500 metres."
- Head Professor Of Exercise & Sport Science At Manchester Metropolitan University Says Mo Farah Would Definitely Win Over 600 Meters Professor Neil Fowler: "At that distance it's an aerobic event ... top speed won't matter. ... Every day of the week Mo Farah would win that race over 600m." We agree it should be less than 600m.
- Mo Farah Asked UK Performance Director If He Could Triple 1,500-5,000-10,000 At Worlds, But The Moscow Schedule Didn't Allow It Farah: "I was serious but he said no because it didn't fit in with the timetable. I didn't even tell my own coach Alberto Salazar!"
*MB: Mo Farah Wanted To Triple: 1500, 5000 and 10,000
- IAAF President Lamine Diack Says There Would Never Be A Cover-Up If Bolt Tested Positive Diack: "If he tests positive, he tests positive. It would be a disaster for our sport but we would have to say he is positive. But I hope that doesn't happen because we don't need that."
The Amputee / Blade Length Debate Continues: Oliviera Proves Theory Which Said Double Amputees (Pistorius) Have An Advantage
- Recommended Read: Double Amputee Sprinter Alan Oliviera Destroys The 100m WR With 10.57 And Re-Ignites Blade Length Controversy From The Olympics The Science of Sport's Ross Tucker analyzes the issue and asks if it is all about leg length and how the IPC/IAAF will deal with this issue as amputees try and race in able-bodied races.
- Telegraph: "Britain's Jonnie Peacock finishes third in amputee 100 metres but debate over the length of blades reopens." US's single-leg amputee WR holder Richard Brown: "There's going to be more than one in the able-bodied Olympics by 2016. The IAAF are going to have to be ready. They have no choice. 10.57 - they have no choice but to get ready. They just need to get their rules ready, that's all I'm saying."
- Independent: "In 2016 will the blade runners be racing Usain Bolt?" GB's Jonnie Peacock disagrees with Browne and says, "I think we might edge towards 10.5 and maybe a sub-10.5, who knows? But from 10.8 to 10.0 is a massive ask. You can't see an amputee running sub-10 ... maybe if they're 20 ft. tall."
Post-London DL Distance News *Full London Results *2 Day Photo Gallery
UK British Athletics Are Set After Raking In $14 Million At Anniversary Games The Brits even managed to sell out day 3 for the Paralympics.
.Mo Farah: Mo Farah Challenges Usain Bolt To Race - Wants Distance To Be Chosen By "Proper" Athletic Fans *Discuss
*Mo Farah "Training Harder Than Ever" To Stay At The Top *Video
*Mo Is Training So Hard His Twin Daughter Started Crying As She Didn't Recognize Her Dad As He's Been At Altitude For So Long
*Farah To Focus On Marathon After Worlds - Might Come Back To Track If He's Not Good At Marathon
Mark English: Mark English Missed Irish 800 Record By .02 In London With 1:44.84 - But Is Now Just 2nd Irishman Ever Under 1:45 Don't know about the 20-year-old? Read previous MB talk of him below:
*MB: 2013: Mark English- 800m (this is the most underrated youngster outside africa)
*MB: 2012: Another talented 800m junior
*MB: 2011: New Irish junior 800m record - 1:47.09
19-Year-Old European Jr. 1,500 Champion Jake Wightman Picked His Parents Well - Dad Is Olympic Announcer, Mom Was Olympic Marathoner
Post-London DL Non- Distance News
- Usain Bolt Tips British Teenager Delano Williams To Be A "Great"
- Great Britain's Relay Team Give Another Keystone Cops Impression
- British Sprinters Sigh Petition To let Kim Collins Run Worlds
- Sprint Coach Who Thinks 60% Of Top 16 100 Sprinters Are Doped Tells You Why Kim Collins Is Clean
- Track And Field Might Return To Olympic Stadium In 2015 On Temporary Track, Rather Than 2016 As Originally Thought
- Did You Know? Valerie Adams' SP Win Streak Is Now At 38 Competitions And Nearly 3 Years Long
Book Review - Sports Gene Is Out Today
LRC Sports Gene by David Epstein: A Must-Read For All Coaches If you are a serious about wanting to understand elite sport performance, you've got to read the first book published by Sports Illustrated writer and former Columbia 800 runner (and LRC friend) David Epstein. Whether you want to know the keys to being a prodigy in distance running, or how to make it in the Majors in baseball, or how to dominate the Iditarod dog race, Epstein's got you covered. He even tells you the one thing you need to have to have a 17% chance of making it to the NBA. The book is out today.
Latest Pre-Moscow Updates: Jessica Ennis Pulls Out
- Athletics South Africa Request For An Exception For Caster Semenya Denied By The IAAF She only missed the "B" standard by .36 seconds.
- List Of 25 Top Stars Who Will Miss The World Championships
- What's The Medal Chances For Your Favorite US Distance Runner? RunFanShop.com Give US Moscow Medal Odds For All Distance Athletes Starts with Nick Symmonds and Duane Solomon at 2-1 all the way down to the 99-1'ers.
- Kenyan Head Coach Sammy Rono Happy To See Tirunesh Dibaba And Meseret Defar Doubling-Up In Moscow Rono: “It is not good for them to double. It will put them in trouble. They will not replay Vivian Cheruiyot’s feat in Daegu."
- Usain Bolt Says He Can Still Break His 100 And 200 WRs And Would Like To Get The 200 Under 19 Seconds "There's still a lot more to come from me. My objective is to continue to win gold medals in my sport, all the way up to the 2016 Olympics."
- Jessica Ennis Pulls Out Of Moscow World Champs With Achilles Injury
*Ennis Will Look To Getting Healthy And Ready To Compete During The 2014 Indoor Season
*UK Star Athletes Jessica Ennis-Hill, Rory McIlroy And Jenson Button Have Horrible Years After Starring In A Money Merchant Commercial Together
*Paula Radcliffe Predicts Ennis Will Come Back From Injury Stronger
*The Telegraph Looks Back At Ennis' 7 Events At The Olympics Last Year
- *The Telegraph Asks Where Are They Now?: Where are Team GB's London 2012 Stars One Year On From The Games? This headline after The Telegraph recently criticized the BBC for being "overly nostalgic".
- Carrie Tollefson Interviews Deena Kastor Ahead Of Her World Champs Marathon Run
- GB LJer Chris Tomlinson Angry Greg Rutherford Was Chosen Over Him For Moscow As He Feels He Is "In Better Current Form"
- Jamaican Sprinter Kemar Bailey-Cole Feels Good About Their 4x100 For Worlds After 37.74 MR At London DL He feels with some better exchanges they can go much faster.
- Canada Names 46 To World Championships Team
- Discus World Leader Piotr Malachowski And Two-Time Olympic SP Champ Tomasz Majewski Lead Poland World Champs Squad
- Belarus Names Team Of 27 For Moscow: 2008 Olympic Decathlon Silver Winner Andrei Krauchanka Leads Medal Hopes
- China Names Team For Moscow
- Moscow 2013 Statistics Book Available For Download On IAAF Website
More Pre-Moscow News
- The Women's HJ Just Got A Little Less Interesting: Blanka Vlasic Will Miss Worlds As She Has Too Much Foot Pain From Competing In The Monaco DL Meet Many were anticipating the 3-way battle between Vlasic, Olympic
champ Anna Chicherova and US's Olympic silver medalist Brigetta Barrett.
*Inside Athletics #26: Ato Boldon Interview With Blanka Vlasic
- Kim Collins Could Still Run In Moscow After Online Petition He said there are tentative talks taking place between his people and the St. Kitts and Nevis Amateur Athletic Association (SKNAAA).
- Russia's 2011 World Heptathlon Champ Tatyana Cherova Has Pulled Out Of Moscow With Knee Injury This might make Jessica Ennis' decision on whether or not to go to Worlds a little easier.
*Host Russia Names 119 Athletes To World Champs Squad
*Russian Team Includes 9 Defending World Champions
- Jamaican 800 NR Holder Kenia Sinclair And Discus Thrower Jason Morgan Angry They Were Left Off Jamaican Worlds Team Sinclair was in a car accident which kept her out for most of the season and claims she was ignored by the federation. We don't see how it matters, though, as she hasn't run under even the "B" mark of 2:01.50 since 2011. Morgan, on the other hand, has the "B."
- Usain Bolt Learns Russian (Video)
- Ireland Names Team Of 11 For Worlds; Irish Examiner Refers To Them As "Hugely Inexperienced"
- Cuba Sending 25 Athletes To Moscow: Olympic Pole Vault Silver Medallist Yarisley Silva Leads Team's Gold Medal Hopes
- 400 Olympic Silver Medalist Christine Ohuruogu Named As Captain Of British Team For Moscow
- German Team Of 67 Athletes Named For Moscow: Discus Olympic Champ Robert Harting Among Gold Medal Favorites
- The Guardian: From The Archive, 30 July 1984: Russia Boycotts Los Angeles Olympics
- Spanish Team Named
- 46 Named To Australian World Team
News In The US
- Meb Keflezighi Had Originally Thought Of Retiring After This Year, But Now Is Considering Extending His Career To Rio 2016 Merhawi, his brother and agent, said, "During our book signings and appearance tour after the Olympics, everyone was asking about 2016. Slowly Meb went from saying 'No way' to 'We'll see.'"
- 2-Time NCAA Champ Ashley Spencer Follows Her Coach Tonja Buford-Bailey From Illinois To Texas
- Driver Arrested For Deliberately Hitting Runner Twice The victim escaped without any major injuries.
Who Is Going To Moscow? Countries Start Naming Their Teams
- US 800 Medal Chances Keep Going Up: Botswana's Olympic 800 Silver Medalist Nijel Amos Has Pulled Out Of The World Championships With An Injury FB post by Amos. Amos last competed on July 19th when he won the World University Games in 1:46.53. Message board thread here. That means all the London medallists are out of Worlds.
- Ethiopian Team Announced: Tirunesh Dibaba And Meseret Defar Both Doing 5k/10k Double No non-distance athletes, no Kenenisa Bekele.
- Decision On Whether Or Not Jessica Ennis Will Compete At Worlds To Be Made In Next Couple Days; UK Performance Director Says There Is A "Good Chance"
- Olympic LJ Champ Greg Rutherford On UK Team After Passing "Fitness Test"
- USATF Officially Names Moscow 2013 Team Includes 9 reigning world champions and 20 individual Olympic medalists from London.
- Olympic Pole Vault Champion Renaud Lavillenie Leads French Team Christophe Lemaitre will double up in the 100 and 200.
- IAAF Spanish National Champs Recap: Cornell's Bruno Hortelano Won The 200 In 20.58
- IAAF Italian National Champs Recap: Marzia Caravelli Wins 100 Hurdles And 200 Double
- Jamaica Names Their Roster: Usain Bolt And Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Lead The Team
*110H Bronze Medalist Hansle Parchment On Jamaican Team Despite Rumors He Would Pull Out Due To Ankle Injury From Earlier In The Season His coach says his training hasn't been great as he's still dealing with the injury, but that he will race in Moscow.
- Australia Moscow 2013 Team Named
- Zuzana Hejnova And Jav Thrower Vitezslav Vesely Highlight Czech Team For Moscow
- SA's Olympic Finalist 110 Hurdler Lehann Fourie Pulls Out Of World Champs With Ankle Injury
Australia's Run For Your Life Magazine Features Yuki Kawauchi On Cover And Has Extended Story/Interview By Brett Larner Kawauchi: "I will never become the fastest runner, but I'm doing my best to become the strongest."
Recommended Read: Kenyans And Russians Most Tested Athletes By IAAF - What Individuals Were Tested The Most? Alan Abrahamson tells you all you need to know.
Moscow WCs Start In Less Than Two Weeks
- 33 Years Too Late, Former 110H Star Renaldo Nehemiah Will Be Going To Moscow For First Time This Year Nehemiah, the first guy under 13.00, was a big favorite for 1980 gold until Jimmy Carter got involved.
- Kenyan 10k Champ Bidan Karoki Wants To See How Mo Farah Looks If Kenyans Set Hot Pace In Moscow
- In Last Race Before Worlds, Yuki Kawauchi Breaks 30km Course Record (1:33:27)
- After 2 Straight Bronzes, Milcah Chemos Looking To Upgrade Medal Color In Moscow The woman who only started running at age 20 has raced less this year.
Random US News
- 56% Of US Race Finishers Are Women, 40% Of Race Finishes Come In 5ks, Just 3% In Marathons
- Next Weekend's 2013 Beach To Beacon Will Feature Strongest American Field Ever With Olympians Meb, Deena And Ryan Hall
- USATF's Jr. Olympics Conclude
Go Figure: Caster Semenya Wins Again, Remains Undefeated, But Won't Be Going To Worlds As She Didn't Run 2:01.50 You can watch the race video here. "Bizarre" is all we can say. It's almost as if Semenya and her people don't want to go Moscow as there seemingly were no rabbits and Semenya went from last to first in the span of 70 meters.
Think The Sub-2-Hour Marathon Is On The Horizon? Think Again
LRC The Myth Of The Sub-2-Hour Marathon The mainstream media thinks it may be close but in reality most people reading this will be dead when it happens.
*Science of Sport's Ross Tucker agrees: Pacing, fatigue and the brain. Lessons from London.
*MB: Sub 2 Hour Marathon Discussion: My Thoughts and Yours
US News: Lindsay Lohan Fan Of Shannon Rowbury?
- Shannon Rowbury New Mentor/Coach For Lindsay Lohan According to this report, they met in the Nike store and have been exchanging training emails.
- Recently Retired 2004 100m Olympic Silver Medalist Lauryn Williams Trying A Move To Bobsled She will compete Thursday in the U.S. Bobsled Push Championships in Calgary, Alberta.
- Sacramento Bidding For 2014 USATF Nationals
Extensive Gary Cohen Interview With 1956 Olympic 800 Champ Tom Courtney Courtney was also anchor on the US's Olympic gold winning 4x400m relay.
Week That Was
LRC What Did We Learn From The London DL?, Fast US "B" Teamers, Gabe Jennings Is A Lucky Man, And We Know Who Is Winning The Women's Steeple The final Diamond League meet and the Russian Champs are in the books and we turn our attention to Worlds. The US chances for Moscow are looking great in the distances. What else did we learn from London? Click to find out. Plus Tyson Gay tested positive a second time.
Upcoming Road Action: Farah Vs. Bekele Vs. Haile G Over A Half Marathon
- August 3rd: Meb Keflezighi, Ryan Hall And Deena Kastor Racing Saturday's Beach To Beacon 10K Men's field includes defending champ Stanley Biwott, 2:04 marathoners Emmanuel Mutai and Dino Sefir, Former World Jr. XC Champ Geoffrey Kipsang, and 2008 Olympic 10k bronze medalist Micah Kogo. The women are led by CR holder Lineth Chepkurui in a field that includes Linet Masai, Joyce Chepkirui, Buzunesh Deba, Sara Hall, Diane Nukuri-Johnson and Alexi Pappas.
- August 9th: Jordan McNamara Leads Deep Field For GNC Live Well Liberty Mile In Pittsburgh Field includes Matt Elliot, Miles Batty, Liam Boylan-Pett and Ben Bruce.
*Olympic Marathoner Magdalena Lewy Boulet Will Celebrate 40th Birthday Competing At USA Masters 1 Mile Road Champs At GNC Liberty Mile
*McNamara Inspires Pittsburgh’s Youth to Run GNC Live Well Liberty Mile
- August 11th: Falmouth Announces Its Elite Fields: Defending Champion Stanley Biwott Faces Chris Solinsky, Luke Puskedra & German Fernandez Also Boston Marathon 2nd placer Micah Kogo. Women's field led by Utica Boilermaker champion Lineth Chepkurui, who will face past Falmouth champ Wude Ayalew and Americans Neely Spence, Stephanie Rothstein-Bruce, Julia Lucas and Delilah DiCrescenzo.
- Dream Match-Up Set For September 15th: Mo Farah, Kenenisa Bekele And Haile Gebrselassie Will Clash Over Half Marathon At Bupa Great North Run Geb: "I can still compete at the highest level and I look forward to giving both of them a run for their money." This will be Bekele's half debut.
- Coach Renato Canova Picks Bekele Over Farah In The Half "Given that the race takes place about a month after the World Championships, I think it will be hard for Mo against Bekele ... From this duel forget Haile ..."
- Slew Of Americans Running 2013 ING NYC Marathon: Meb, Ryan And Kara Running NYC They'll be joined by US Olympians Janet Bawcom, Amy Hastings and Julie Culley in her debut. Also, top Boston finisher Jason Hartmann, Ryan Vail, Jeff Eggleston, Adriana Nelson, Alisha Williams and Mattie Suver will be in NY. *Discuss
IAAF President Lamine Diack Warns Turkey That Their Doping Problems Are Seriously Jeopardizing Their 2020 Olympic Bid And They Need To "Clean House" Diack: "They cannot bid for the Olympics if they cannot control their athletes."
Telegraph Writer Bashes BBC And Other Brits For Getting "Prematurely Nostalgic" About The Olympics During The London Anniversary Games Bashes some athletes too with jokes such as "Except one thing has not altered. As was shown by the GB team in the 100-metre relay, it still appears well beyond the capabilities of a quartet of British men to pass a baton to each other."
Make Your Online Vote For The Bowerman Choices for the men are Lawi Lalang, Derek Drouin and Julian Wruck, and for the women, Brigetta Barrett, Kori Carter and Brianna Rollins.
2013 Wharf To Wharf 6 Miler *Top 10 Results *MB Talk
In Road Debut, American Emily Infeld Cruises To Women's Title At 41st Annual Wharf To Wharf (Article updated) Despite what the article says, the race is 6 miles, not 10k.
MB: EMILY INFELD 30:52!!
Kenyan Nelson Oyugi Wins 41st Annual Wharf To Wharf In Convincing Fashion Local favorite Brett Gotcher was a career-best 3rd, Ben Bruce 5th, Lemoncello 6th, Scott Bauhs 9th and Solinsky was 10th. German Fernandez was a DNS.
*MB: Official 2013 Wharf to Wharf Predictions/Race Thread
Pre-Race: Former American Record Holder Chris Solinsky Hopes To Become The First American Wharf To Wharf Winner Since 1995
*Chris Solinsky Headlines 2013 Wharf To Wharf Race Elite Field
*Hometown Hero, Brett Gotcher, Takes Shot At Title
*Top 10 Moments In Wharf To Wharf History
Non-London News - 2013 Bix 7 Miler *Top 10 Bix Results
Former Iona Star Leonard Korir Wins Quad-City Times Bix 7 Meb was third, Desi 10th.
(Meb 3rd, Desi 10th)