Post London DL Distance News
Mo Farah: Mo Farah challenges Usain Bolt to race - wants distance to be chosen by 'proper' athletic fans *Discuss
*Mo Farah 'training harder than ever' to stay at the top *Video
*Mo is training so hard his twin daughter started crying as she didn't recognize her dad as he's been at altitude for so long
*Farah to focus on marathon after worlds - might come back to track if he's not good at marathon
Mark English: Mark English missed Irish 800 record by .02 in London with 1:44.84 - but is now just 2nd Irishman ever under 1:45 Don't know about the 20-year old? Reac previous MB talk of him below:
*MB: 2013: Mark English- 800m (this is the most underrated youngster outside africa)
*MB: 2012: Another talented 800m junior
*MB: 2011: New Irish junior 800m record - 1:47.09
19-year old European jr 1500 champion Jake Wightman picked his parents well - Dad is Olympic announcer, Mom was Olympic marathoner
Post London DL Non- Distance News
- Usain Bolt tips British teenager Delano Williams to be a 'great'
- Great Britain's relay team give another Keystone Cops impression
- British sprinters sign petition to let Kim Collins run Worlds
- Sprint coach who thinks 60% of top 16 100 sprinters are doped, tells you why Kim Collins is clean
- Track and Field might return to Olympic stadium in 2015 on temporary track, rather than 2016 as originally thought
- Did you know? Valerie Adams SP win streak is now at 38 competitions and nearly 3 years long
London Anniversary Games - Day 2 Saturday Coverage *Saturday Full Results *Friday Full Results *Event-By-Event Results *LRC Photos *Video Highlights
Day 2: Full Day 2 Recap By IAAF Renaud Lavillenie's 6.02 vault stole some of Mo Farah's thunder.
*RRW Recap Of Distance: "Mo Mania" Continues With Win
Mile: LRC Augustine Choge Wins 2013 Emsley Carr Mile But Do American Men's Medal Chances Take A Hit Despite Three Personal Bests? It was a good day for the Americans as five guys ran faster than 3:53.16 ... or was it? We do our best to explain.
*19-Year-Old Brit Charlie Grice Runs 3:54 As Does Lee Emanuel
3,000: LRC Mo Farah Thrills The British Crowd With Dominant Victory As Ryan Hill Surprisingly Takes 2nd Mo won as expected but did anyone expect Ryan Hill to beat Tariku Bekele and Ritzenhein?
Steeple: LRC Brimin Kipruto Wins - Any Chance Kenya Will Reverse Course And Name Him To World Championships Team? Evan Jager fans rejoice. The Kenyans are apparently going to not take an in-form former World and Olympic champion in the steeplechase who was top three at their Trials. Simply brilliant.
Non-LRC Coverage: Athletics Weekly: British Victories Delight Hometown Crowd Christine Ohuruogu, Mo Farah and Katarina Johnson-Thompson got wins.
*Renaud Lavillenie Vaults Brilliant 6.02m, Then Jumps Over Advertising Board Into Stands To Hug Coach
*Jessica Ennis-Hill Runs 13.08 In Hurdles And Was Last In LJ - Says She Won't Go To Worlds Unless She's Competitive
*Jessica Ennis-Hill Looks To Be Running Out Of Time For Worlds Glory Bid
*Great Britain's Women's 4 X 100m Relay Team Sets National Record
*Team GB Drops Stick (Again) In Men's 4 X 100
*Allyson Felix Wins In Pedestrian 22.41 - Says She Feels Great
*American Results In London
MB: Official Day 2 Discussion Thread: Talk about the action live.
Day 2 On The Boards: RYAN MF HILL Hill was the top American in the 3k over Ritz.
*Stick a fork in Centro. He is DONE! Centro had another disappointing race.
*Galen Rupp Top American in Mile
*Help us understand Ayanleh Souleiman's pre-race gesture? (pic)
*Brits, please tell me why does even the Mayor of London have awful teeth?
*If Mo became world beater without ever switchin to NOP, would you be suspect?
- Mo Farah Says The Focus Is On Moscow And Will Talk To Salazar About Whether Or Not He'll Make A UK Record Attempt
- David Moorcroft Says He'd Like Nothing Better Than For Mo Farah To Break His 31-Year-Old 7:32.79 British 3k Record Moorcroft thinks Farah can get all the UK records from 1,500 to marathon and joked, "I just think that if Mo tries the triple jump then Jonathan Edwards had better look out."
- Video: Farah Says He Thinks The 10,000 At Worlds Will Be More Exciting Than The 5,000
- Mo Farah Video: "When you're at the top everyone wants to knock you down."
- Jessica Ennis-Hill Will Use Anniversary Games To Make Decision On Whether She Is Fit And Healthy Enough To Compete In Moscow
- UK Poll Says Two-Thirds Of UK Public Believes The London Games Were Worth The £8.77 Bililon Cost
Non-London DL Action
- Former World Half Marathon Champ Wilson Kiprop Wins Giro Podistico di Castelbuono 10k In Italy In Photo Finish With Ethiopia's Atanaw Ayalew They were both given the identical time of 30:10.
- Sunday: Wilson Kipsang Takes On 2011 World Junior XC Champ Geoffrey Kipsang At The Bogotá Half Marathon Sub-60-minute runners Peter Kirui and Tilahun Regassa are also in the field. The women are led by Olympic marathon silver medallist Priscah Jeptoo, who faces Isabella Ochichi and 3 other women who have gone under 1:09.
- Olympic Champ Ivan Ukhov Wins Russian Champs HJ In 2.38m
*IAAF Russian Champs Final Day Recap
- Thrope Cup International Mult-Event Competition Starts Today In California List of US team.
- Ireland's Jason Smyth (Tyson Gay's Training Partner) Wins IPC Double Gold In 100 And 100
More Pre-Moscow News: Kenyans Think They Have A Way To Beat Mo
- Kenyans Hating Plot To Beat Mo Farah At Worlds? Edwin Soi, Isiah Kiplagat And Thomas Longosiwa Say Teamwork Will Be Critical To Take 5,000 Gold Soi: "The three of us are talking and we are developing very effective tactics to ensure we win the gold in the race."
- Edna Kiplagat Admits It Will Be Difficult To Defend Her World Marathon Title In Moscow Next Month, But It Would Help Her Get Over Disappointment Of Finishing Only 20th At The Olympics
- SA Marathoner Irvette van Zyl Pulls Out Of Worlds With Injury
Latest Pre-World Champs Updates: Young Kenyans Looking To Prove Themselves; NZ's Kim Smith Out
- Kenyan 800 Men Want To Show They Can Win An 800 World Title Even Without Rudisha Coach Rono: "This is not a Diamond League meeting, there are no pacemakers, it's a championship where every athlete will race alone, shocks have happened before, that is all what I can say for now."
- Ferguson Cheruyiot: "We want Kenyans to know that Rudisha bestowed the mantle to 'real men' and not 'boys' as many people believe."
- Kenyan Marathoner Mike Kipyego Takes Motivation From His Sister Sally, Who Won 10k Silver At The Olympics Last Year Sally Kipyego missed the World Champs with injury this year, so it will be up to Mike to win a medal for the family.
- NZ's Kim Smith Pulls Out Of Moscow World Champs With Injury
- Young Kenyans Get A Chance To Excel As The Country's Expectations Were Lowered With The Withdrawal Of Top Stars
- Caster Semenya's Coach Says She Needs To Treat Her Last Attempt At The Standard As A Time Trial And Not Worry About Others In Race Even though there are others with the "B" standard, Athletics SA has said Semenya will go if she gets the 2:01.50 "B" standard; she doesn't need the 2:00.00 "A."
- Russian Champs: 2004 Olympic 800 Champ Yury Borzakovsky Wins In 1:46.98; Olympic Steeple Champ Yulia Zaripova Wins 1,500 In 4:02.56 2008 Olympic champ/defending world champ Maria Abakumova won the javelin.
*IAAF Recap: Dmitry Tarabin Sets Javelin World Lead At 88.84m With Best Throw In The World In 2 Years Tatyana Lysenko set a world lead in the hammer.
- Quote From Japanese Athletes Including Yuki Kawauchi At Pre-Worlds Press Conference Kawauchi thinks a top-6 finish for him in the marathon is possible.
- SA Top Distance Athletes Juan van Deventer And Rene Kalmer Remove Themselves From Selection For World Champs They say they're healthy, but not 100% fit as they recently came back from injuries after hitting the standards earlier in the year.
- Ireland's 100 Hurdler Derval O'Rourke Pulls Out Of Nationals With Achilles Injury
- Italy Names Team Of 53 Athletes For Moscow 2013
- After Breaking His Leg During Olympic 4 X 4 Last Year, Manteo Mitchell Is Back In 2013, But Missed Out On Worlds Team "I just didn't want to be 'that guy' and that guy who would ruin history for the U.S. (and the team's chances to compete for a medal)."
- Mark Covert Talks About Ending His 45-Year Running Streak With His First Day Off Since 1968 "I got up and rode 18 miles on my bike, and I have no plans to go for a run ... This was something that I knew was coming for awhile and that I very much wanted to come for awhile."
- A Year Later, Jeneba Tarmoh Says She Can Laugh At Dead Heat Controversy With Allyson Felix At 2012 Trials
- Runners, Cyclists Protest Repeated Hit-And-Run Incidents In Texas
- USATF Recap Of Day 4 Of Junior Olympics
IPC Worlds Updates
- IAAF IPC World Champs Wednesday Recap
- Ireland's Michael McKillop Wins 800/1,500 Double At IPC World Champs
- UK Teenager Scott Jones Sets SP WR To Win IPC World Title
- Seb Coe Calls For More Action Against Coaches And Agents Of Doping Athletes, Saying, "We shouldn't be entirely focusing on the athlete." "I would rather take the hit now and move towards a sport that has credibility and trust, than sit here in 10 years' time when everybody thinks they're watching American wrestling - they know it's fake and frankly they don't care."
- Alan Abrahamson Calls For Baseball To Take An Olympic-Style Approach To Doping Control And Actually Deal Out Meaningful Punishment To Its Drug Cheats A first-time offense in baseball is 50 games, which isn't even a full-season and you don't lose awards or much money. You can be a drug cheat one year and All-Star or MVP the next.
- Athletics Illustrated's Christopher Kelsall Calls For The IAAF To Ban Turkey From The 2013 World Championships After Latest Doping Scandal
- Asafa Powell Says He Hasn't Considered Retiring And Wants To Return To Competing He even talks about competing in the 2015 World Championships and 2016 Olympics.
- Powell And Sherone Simpson Requesting "B" Samples Be Tested
- New WADA Code Which Will Be Presented In 2015 Will Allow Them To Go After Athletes' Entourages As Well Coaches, trainers, agents could all be punished along with the athlete.
- WADA President John Fahey Says, "The fight against doping will never be won" but "we must continue this fight." "There will never be a point where we'll declare a victory. We appreciate we cannot eliminate it entirely but we need to get as close to the zero marker as we can."
- Sophisticated Anti-Doping Program With Blood Testing Planned For Moscow World Champs As usual, though, we wish they wouldn't announce so many specifics on the testing they plan to do. In 2011 they blood tested every athlete, but announced it beforehand, so drug cheats could withdraw or take counter measures.
- IAAF Russian Champs Recap: Yelena Isinbayeva Won The PV In 4.75m In Her First National Championship In A Decade Yelena Kotulskaya won the 800 in 1:59.56; Ilgizar Safiulin won the steeple in 8:28.87.
*Reuters Russian Champs Recap/Results
- Moses Kipsiro Suffers Shock Defeats In 1,500 And 5,000 At Uganda National Champs Abdallah Mande won the 5,000 as Ronald Musagala won the 1,500.
*More Coverage/Details Of Uganda Champs
- Slovenia's 2008 Olympic Champion Primoz Kozmus Won Hammer Challenge At Karlstad Grand Prix In Sweden With 77.69m Kenya's Cornelius Kangogo won the 3k in 7:49.98.
- IAAF Recap Of IPC World Champs Day 4: Jonnie Peacock Wins 100m Gold In 10.99 Seconds
- GB's 16-Year-Old Sophie Hahn Breaks T38 100m WR To Win Paralympic World Title In 13.10 Northern Ireland's Michael McKillop won gold in the T38 1,500m final in 4:10.17.
Science Of The Sport
- New Study Supports "Sleep Night Before Race Doesn't Matter" Theory
- Study Finds That Taking A Antioxidant Supplement For Resveratrol Can Counter Exercise Benefits
- 76% Lower Incidence Of Kidney Cancer Among Runners
US News: Economics Of US Pros And NCAA Division 4?
- Recommended Read: Many Would Say 32-Year-Old Unsponsored Ryan Wilson Came Out Of Nowhere To Win The 110H At US Champs And Make His First US Team, But He Would Disagree "Even though I'm 32 and it's taken me a while to make my first team, it's not like I've been chopped liver for 10 years. I've been regularly ranked in the world's top 10, so it's not a surprise. A lot of fans were surprised, but I wasn't."
- Survey From US Champs Finds Many Athletes Struggling Economically And Huge Disparities Between The Very Top And The Rest Some interesting stats from this study done by Andrew Begley, husband of 2008 Olympic 10,000-meter runner Amy Yoder Begley.
- NCAA To Add A "Division 4" As The Highest Level Of Football-Playing Schools? Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby: "We've made it too easy to get into Division I, and too easy to stay there."
- Jordan Hasay Has A New Website: JordanHasay.com
- NYC Marathon Charities Struggling To Fill Slots
- Belgium's Pieter-Jan Hannes Came Back From A Broken Foot To Win The 1,500 At The European Under-23 Champs "I've been telling everyone in Belgium that I am going to win in Tampere. In the beginning, everyone was like, come on dude, be real. People were frowning at me, but I have turned my own steep ambition into reality."
- IAAF Recap Day 3 Of IPC World Champs: Host France Got Their First Gold On The Track With Mandy Francois-Elie In The 200
- IAAF Preview: 2:08 Man Sahle Warga Will Defend His Title At October's Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon
More From The Weekend
- Matt Elliot Gets World Championships 1,500 "B" Standard With 3:36.88 For 2nd Place In Germany He is now the official alternate
(a viewer has written pointing out USATF rules said the "B" standard had to be hit by July 20th, even though IAAF rules say it can be up to the 29th)as he ran his time on the 19th and can compete if Matt Centrowitz, Leo Manzano or Lopez Lomong withdraw from the team.
- Masato Imai Wins Hot Suffolkland Shibetsu Half Marathon In 1:03:24; Yuki Kawauchi Was 22nd In 1:06:45 Kawauchi wasn't happy today as he "blew it" in this workout. His final pre-Moscow "tune-up" will be a 30k this Sunday. Defending champion Mai Ito won the women's race in 1:12:27.
Recommended Read Renato Canova Reveals The Best Strategy To Beat Mo Farah His strategy: You don't. You wait for him to get old.
*LRC Update: Canova Explains On LetsRun.com Why He Thinks Farah Might Have Touble In A 3,000/5,000 Record Attempt
*Discuss Canova's article here. Yesterday Canova seemingly read this thread as well: MB: Mo's 3:28.81, what is the ideal tactic to beat him at 5K/10K?
Who Will Actually Be In Moscow?: David Rudisha And Yohan Blake Both Withdraw
- David Rudisha Officially Withdraws From Moscow World Champs As He Recovers From Knee Injury Coach Colm O'Connell: "It is just not possible for David to effectively defend his world title in Moscow, so we announced this morning his withdrawal."
- Yohan Blake Out Of Moscow World Champs With Hamstring Injury
- Former 100m World Champion Kim Collins Left Off St. Kitts And Nevis' Team For Moscow 2013 This despite the fact he ran a NR of 9.97 just over a week ago. Collins was infamously sent home from the Olympics last year for having sex with his wife. Does his federation have a grudge against him?
- LRC Jordan Hasay Qualifies For Moscow World Champs, Just Misses Her Goal Of The IAAF "A" Standard Of 31:45 With 31:46.42 With three male pacemakers leading the way, Hasay punched her ticket to Moscow.
MB: Official Jordan Hasay chase thread
*Salazar: "Maybe I didn't rest her enough (to get the A), but her workouts have been good."
*Behind The Scenes Of Jordan Hasay's 10K Chase
- Tara Erdmann Misses Shot At World Champs 10k "A" Standard She finished way off the 31:45 standard in 34:19. Now Amy Hastings will take the 3rd place on US team for Moscow.
- Caster Semenya Likely To Miss World Championships She was left off an initial SA team list. She has until July 29th to run sub-2 if she wants to make the team, but her only race since the Olympics was 2:06 last week.
- It's Official: Olympic 1,500 Champion Taoufik Makhloufi Withdraws From Next Month's World Championships Due To A Viral Infection
- LRC For The Record, David Rudisha Has Not Had Surgery All we can say is - don't believe everything you see on Facebook/Twitter, as we have reached out to Rudisha's agent, who has squashed the Internet rumors that Rudisha had knee surgery.
Asafa Powell And Jamaicans Test Positive
- Asafa Powell, Sherone Simpson And Trainer Christopher Xuereb Placed Under Investigation By Italian Police Apparently, Powell and Simspon's agent Paul Dolye was the one who tipped WADA and organized the raid on their hotel, which Powell and Simpson were aware of, but trainer Xuereb was kept "out of the loop." Doyle said, "We're not trying to throw Chris under the bus and blame him for anything. ... We're not saying he did anything deliberate, but it's in those supplements."
- Powell May Have Been Taking 19 Different Supplements When He Tested Positive For Drugs
- Trainer Xuereb Says He's Being Made A "Scapegoat" For Powell And Simpson He claims nothing he gave them was a banned substance and that they were using him as an excuse for their own doping. He suggested it's time for them to take "responsibility for their doping instead of looking around for a scapegoat."
- Another Jamaican Named: Olympic Discus Thrower Traves Smikle Fails Drug Test He says he did not knowingly ingest a banned substance and has requested his "B" sample be analyzed. This article also claims that the 5th Jamaican who tested positive and is yet unnamed is a junior athlete who tested positive at the Jamaican Trials.
- Chinese Sportswear Company Li-Ning Suspends Sponsorship Of Asafa Powell
- Jamaican Olympic Discus Thrower Allison Randall One Of The Jamaicans Who Tested Positive Like Powell and Simpson, denied knowingly taking any PEDs, saying, "I have never even seen steroids and don't know the first thing about them."
Some Positive US Results *KBC-Nacht Full Results *Madrid Results
Brandon Johnson 1:43.84 PR Win In Madrid, Nesta Carter 9.87 Brandon Johnson's
has kept rolling into July. LaTavia Thomas won the 800 with Jenny Simpson 3rd, and Gabrielle
Anderson over Morgan Uceny in 1,500.
MB: *Brandon Johnson 1.43.83
LRC Cory McGee Qualifies For Worlds - Runs 4:06.67 In Belgium
LRC Ryan Hill Qualifies For 2013 IAAF World Track And Field Championships - Runs 13:14.22
Paris DL Men *Full Results *Event-By-Event Results *Race Video Highlights (US Only) *LRC Paris Photo Gallery LRC Post-Race Video Interviews
*LRC Paris Photo Gallery Added
LRC Men's 1,500: Mission Accomplished* For American Men; Leo's BACK!!! Leo Manzano may still be sponsorless but the lion is officially out of hibernation as he showed why he is the Olympic silver medallist as he led the American charge as he and Lopez Lomong both got the "A" to finalize America's Moscow WC team. All was not totally well for the Americans, though, as Centro stepped off the track, possibly injured. Update: Salazar Says Centro's Not Injured - Just "Embarrassed" For Dropping Out For First Time Ever
Video: Leo, Lawi, Lopez And Lagat Talk After Paris 1,500
MB: Paris 1500m *Manzano IS BACK - 3:33.14 in Paris!!! *Centro DNF Paris 1,500?
LRC Men's Steeple: Ezekiel Kemboi Breaks 8:00 As Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad Breaks The European Record The men's steeple clash between the Olympic gold and silver medallists certainly lived up to the hype.
*EA: France's Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad Broke The Steeple European Record With 8:00.09
MB Talk: Manzano 3:33.14 for 3rd!, Lomong Gets "A", Centro Drops Out, Bolt 19.73, James Over Merritt, Kemboi Sub 8:00, Mekhissi 8:00.09, Individual links above for each headline. Manzano interview here.
2 Reviews & 1 Book Excerpt From John McDonnell: The Most Successful NCAA Coach In History
Book Excerpt The Legendary Story Of The 1989 Penn Relays DMR, Where 4 Kids From Arkansas, Texas And Missouri Beat 4 African
And The Olympic 1,500m Champ The 1989 Mount St. Mary's Penn
Relays DMR team featured 4 African Olympians, including 1988 Olympic 1,500m champ Peter Rono. John McDonnell's Arkansas squad featured 4 kids from Texas, Missouri and Arkansas. A legendary motivational speech by McDonnell and Joe Falcon on the anchor made for one of the great upsets in Penn Relays history. Read
all about it in this excerpt from the new John McDonnell biography.
LRC Reviews: #1: Two Thumbs Up
*Review #2 by D2 Coach Torrey Olson "It's got a lot to offer anyone interested in an incredibly sustained passion for the both the sport and the profession."
Recommended Read: Kenyans and Russians most tested athletes by IAAF - What individuals were tested the most? Alan Abrahamson tells you all you need to know.
Moscow WCs start in less than two weeks.
- 33 years too late, former 110h star Renaldo Nehemiah will be going to Moscow for first time this year Nehemiah, the first guy under 13.00, was a big favorite for 1980 gold until Jimmy Carter got involved.
- Kenyan 10k champ Bidan Karoki wants to see how Mo Farah looks if Kenyans set hot pace in Moscow
- In last race before Worlds, Yuki Kawauchis breaks 30km course record (1:33:27)
- After 2-straight bronzes, Milcah Chemos looking to upgrade medal color in Moscow The woman who only started running at age 20 has raced less this year.
Random US News
- 56% of US race finishers are women, 40% of race finishes come in 5ks, just 3% marathons
- Next Weekend's 2013 Beach to Beacon Will Feature Strongest American Field Ever With Olympians Meb, Deena and Ryan Hall
- USATF's Jr. Olympics conclude
Go Figure: Caster Semenya Wins Again, Remains Undefeated, But Won't Be Going To Worlds As She Didn't Run 2:01.50 You can watch the race video here. Bizarre is all we can say. It's almost as if Semenya and her people don't want to go Moscow as there seemingly were no rabbits and Semenya went from last to first in the span of 70 meters.
London Anniversary Games - Day 1 Friday Coverage *Saturday Full Results *Friday Full Results *Event-By-Event Results *LRC Photos *LRC Video Highlights
Day 1: IAAF Full Meet Recap: Bolt (9.85) Brings A Bit Of Lightning To London Great men's high jump as well.
Men's 800: LRC Nick Symmonds Wins - Is He Officially Now A Gold Medal Threat? Symmonds was way better than Duane Solomon over the last 50m and is now dreaming of a medal - but what color?
*Register-Guard: Olympic Oval Agrees With Symmonds Again
Women's 800: LRC Brenda Martinez Crushes Everyone Martinez absolutely dominated this one as she negative-splitted her last lap.
Women's 3k: LRC Shannon Rowbury Gets Her First DL Victory - Wins 3,000 Shannon Rowbury used her 1,500 speed to blow Molly Huddle's doors off over the last 150. This race was Jordan Hasay's European pro debut.
*Mary Cain And Jordan Hasay React To First Huge European Races - Ajee Wilson Getting Used To It
Women's 1,500: LRC Mary Cain's Pro European Debut Ends With Fifth-Place Finish As Kenya's Mary Kuria Gets The Win Many were disappointed by Cain's 5th-place showing, but not us. Find out why.
*RRW: Mary Cain Fely "Drained" By Huge Crowd But Is Hoping To Learn From Her Mistakes
*Gabriele Anderson Continues Successful Summer In London
More: After Coming Up Short In WR Attempt, HJer Bohdan Bondarenko Thinks He'll Get WR In Moscow "I am very happy. I feel I will get it at Moscow."
*Independent: Dire Start Does Little To Halt Bolt In 100m
*RRW: Americans Shine On Opening Night Of Sainsbury's Anniversary Games
*After All The Hype From British Press, Recent 9.91 Man James Dasaolu Pulled Out Of 100 With "Tight Hip On Warmup"
*Warren Weir Sends Message Of Intent With 200m Win In 19.89
*Jenn Suhr Loses PV To Cuba's Yarisley Silva She wasn't down, though, as Suhr said, "Training has really been going well, it's just sometimes I think you are jumping better than your story and that's it right now. I'm jumping a lot better than what I'm putting up."
*EA Day 1 Recap: Bohdan Bondarenko Makes Another Attempt At WR; Czech Reupublic's Zuzana Hejnova Sets Seasonal Best In 400 Hurdles
*UK's Perri Shakes-Drayton Gets 2nd In 400H In New PR
*List Of US Performances On Day 1 Of London DL
*Telegraph: London 2012 Anniversary Games: Day One In Pictures
*Telegraph Article On UK Performances
London On The Message Board: MB: Official 2013 London Thread
*There will be no American winners at the London Diamond League meet Not sure if today is opposite day or what.
Men's 800: American men dominate men's 800m in London
*SYMMONDS WILL BE THE WORLD CHAMPION!!
Women's 800: Martinez dominates!!!
Women's 3,000: Rowbury wins - US 123 in London
*Rowbury - what can she do in the 5000m?
*Jordan Hasay 8:46.89 3K PR in London She may have PRed but her doors were blown off in the last 300.
Women's 1,500: Cain with her first clunker.
*DOWN GOES CAIN DOWN GOES CAIN DOWN GOES CAIN
*Is Cain officially a Pro Now?? She just won $2500..
*Will Mary Cain PR Today??
Other London Anniversary Games Pre-Meet News
LRC Preview: American Fans Are Going To Like This One - Cain, Hasay, Huddle, Rowbury, Uceny, Rupp, Centro, Ritz, Symmonds, Solomon,
Etc. This meet is watered down by international standards as many of the top Africans are on the sidelines but American fans will have plenty to pay attention to here.
*IAAF Full London Preview: Kirani James In 400, Bohdan Bondarenko In The HJ, Valerie Adams In The SP And Much More
Drug Talk At Press Conference Dominates Pre-Meet News:
- Video/QOD: Bolt: "If you were following me since 2002 you would know that I have been doing phenomenal things since I was 15 ... I was always going to be great." Did he read Rojo's article?
- Bolt On Recent Positive Tests: "It was surprising, definitely ... Definitely, it's going to set us back a little bit."
- Bolt: "I know I am clean ... I'm trying to work hard, run fast, and hopefully help people to forget what's happened."
- Bolt Had One Text Message Conversation With Powell After Doping Positive "I just told him to stay strong and stay focused, and, hopefully, everything will work out."
- Kim Collins Admits He Knows He Will Be Judged For Running Fast At His Age (37 Years Old)
- Valerie Adams Says She'll Never Forgive Belarusian Doper Nadzeya Ostapchuk And That "She can stay in Belarus forever."
- UK Independent: "Amid doping claims, are Usain Bolt and James Dasaolu running under a cloud?"
- Bolt: "I have vitamins that I take. Every athlete takes vitamins. But I don't really take supplements."
- Bolt: "It's been an up and down season so far, so I hope tomorrow will put me right on track to run really fast at the World Championships."
- Steve Cram Says 7:32 UK 3k Record Should Be Easy For Mo Farah "Mo doesn't consider himself a 1,500m runner - although maybe he should - but he's in a unique position now. He's run three minutes 28 seconds in the 1,500m and who knows what he'll achieve in the marathon next April? No one has covered that sort of range before."
- Mo Farah Says He's Stronger Than Ever And Enjoying Running "... doing what I do, instead of thinking that I have to do something." Seb Coe said, "We know he can run from the front if he has to and we know he can make a long run home if he wants to, but when you've got 3.28 under the bonnet, does it really matter? ... It's an extraordinary range of skills to have and clearly he's been doing the right things in training to get that kind of leg speed."
- Jessica Ennis Will Compete Despite Achilles Injury Issues She'll be in the 100H and LJ.
- Britain's New Sprint Star James Dasaolu Ready To Take On Bolt At London Anniversary Games
- Dasaolus' Coach Credits One Training Session For His Amazing 9.91 Breakthrough He says spent 90 minutes analyzing film of his start and realized where he was wasting a lot of time his first two steps.
- Press Conference Quotes From Sally Pearson, Aries Merritt, Kim Collins And Valerie Adams
- A Year After London Games, Olympic Park Re-Opens
- AW: Ones To Watch At London Anniversary Games
Previous Pre-London DL News
- Brit 800 Runners Jessica Judd And Andrew Osagie, As Well As 400H World Champ Dai Greene, Pull Out Of London DL With Injuries
- Usain Bolt Only Has The 3rd-Fastest 2013 Time In The Field For The London DL 100 This Weekend Both Nesta Carter and UK's James Dasaolu have ran faster this year. Kim Collins and Dwain Chambers are also in the field.
- RunnersTribe Writer Critiques Presentation Of Diamond League Races On TV Some good suggestions such as, "Instead of watching the winner jump around for two minutes with a bunch of flowers, use that time to interview the athlete, and please give the microphone to a host with a personality."
- British Athletics Extends Partnership With The BBC Through 2020
- RRW Preview: Ten Storylines Heading Into Sainsbury's Anniversary Games
RRW Anniversary Games Saturday Preview
More Pre-Moscow 2013 News
- Caster Semenya Will Take One More Shot At Qualifying For Moscow World Champs In Belgium This Sunday It is her last chance before the deadline closes. She's run 2:06 and 2:04 this year and the "B" standard is 2:01.50 (the "A" 2:00.00).
- Kenya's World Championships Marathoner Peter Some Is Motivated By The Memory Of His Father, Who Won Bronze At The 1983 World XC Champs Some's friends say looks like Kenenisa Bekele when he runs.
- Kenyan Worlds Coach Confident Of Team Success Despite Absence Of Top Stars Sammy Rono: "I know most people have ruled us out now that Rudisha is out but they should do so at their own peril."
- American Distance Project Updates: Daniel Tapia Added To US Moscow Marathon Squad; Matt Elliot Wins 1,000m Race In Belgium In 2:20.30 Elliot will run another 1,500 in Belgium Saturday as his last race of the season.
- RunnersTribe Interview With Aussie World Championships Marathoner Marty Dent
Pre-Moscow 2013 News
- MB: 12:46 man and Olympic Silver Medalist Dejen Gebremeskal NOT running the 5000, only 10k in Moscow
- AK Biggest Buzzkill Ever? Athletics Kenya Bans Moscow Athletes From Competing At London Anniversary Games, Fearing They'll Burn Out Ahead Of Moscow Maybe someone should warn world beater Mo Farah? He's entered in the 3k.
*Athletes Withdrawn From Meet Include Silas Kiplagat, Nixson Chepseba, Conseslus Kipruto, Abel Mutai Also, this means there will be no clash between Edwin Soi, Isaiah Koech, Thomas Longosiwa and Farah in the 3,000.
- But AK Still Always Good For A Laugh: Kenyan World Team Marathon Coach Speaking About The Largely Unknown Men's Squad: "For them to run 2:03 or 2:04 will be easy so long as they get good preparation." He says Ethiopia's Tsegay Kebede will be their biggest rival.
- Double Olympic PV Champ Yelena Isinbayeva Announces That She Will Retire After Moscow World Championships She announced this after winning Russian Nationals yesterday.
- Bedan Karoki Hoping To End Kenyan Men's 10,000 12-Year Gold Drought At Moscow World Champs The Kenyans seem to understand Mo Farah's sit-and-kick strategy, but based on this quote, it doesn't seem like they'll be trying to burn him with a fast pace. Karoki: "The first 5,000m is slow, thus athletes like Mo Farah who have a strong finishing kick, save energy. I have fine-tuned my finishing power."
- Jessica Ennis Comes Back From Injury With Javelin PR In Low-Key Loughborough Meet Ennis says she's still having Achilles pain, though, and is not 100%. She'll compete in Moscow since she's been named to the team. She still hopes to compete in the 100 hurdles and LJ at this weekend's London Anniversary Games.
- A Good Resource: Team USA Background Data That Includes PRs, Twitter Links And Bios
- 5 Questions With British 1,500 Champion And NCAA Indoor 1,500 Record Holder Chris O'Hare, Who's Been Named To GB's Moscow Team
Top International News: Rudisha's Season Is Over
- David Rudisha's Season Is Done; He's Unlikely To Race Again Until March Next Year He thought about coming back for Zurich DL in late August or Brussels in September, but his coach thought it better not to rush back from his knee injury.
- Kenyan World Champs Marathon Team Led By A Bunch Of Guys You've Probably Never Heard Of Sally Kipyego's brother Michael Kipyego is on the team as well as 58:41 half marathoner Bernard Koech. Other members include Peter Some, Bernard Kipyego and Nicholas Kipkemboi. The women's team is led by Valentine Kipketer (2:24:20) and Margaret Akai (2:23:28).
- Kip Keino Blames Agents And Money-Hungry Athletes Who Want To Run Lucrative Road Races For Lack Of Top Kenyan Names On Their Team For Moscow Keino: "If you go and run in a (well-paid) event and you win, who knows about that event in 10 years? But if you become a world champion, you have a name to last. Name is money, the name is your future life."
- Did Oscar P Open A Can Of Worms? Science Of Sport's Ross Tucker Says That There Will Soon Be Double Amputees Medaling At Able-Bodied Olympics This after Brazil's Alan Oliveira won the IPC 200m world title in 20.66s, breaking the previous world record by 0.64.
- Good Read: Olympic LJ Champ Greg Rutherford Having An Unlucky 2013 After A Dream Olympics In 2012 Rutherford talks about losing his sponsorship with Nike, money troubles, and the glory of winning gold at a home Olympics. He also mentions being overshadowed by Mo Farah and Jessica Ennis and how he hopes sometimes they can't attend events so people will give him a call as a backup.
- Sign Up Now: Fans Start Petition To Get 2003 WChamp Kim Collins Entered In Moscow WChamps The guy at age 37 has PRed at 9.97 and should compete but St. Kitts and Nevis is still angry he had sex with his wife at last year's Olympics. Rojo has signed, have you?
- Seb Coe Calls For 4-Year Ban For Doping "We have to go back from two years to four years. The move down to two did a lot of damage to my sport."
- $763,000 (£500,000) Appearance Fee For Usain Bolt For This Weekend? Perhaps, but numbers given out for athletic events don't often add up.
- Yohan Blake's Injury Has Cost Him A Ton Of Money
Good Read: Meet Scotland's And Glasgow University's Laura Muir, Who Has Gone From 2:07.3 To 2:00.8 In One Year And Is Now Going To Moscow Before her switch to new coach Andy Young, she used to wonder how she'd ever compete at Commonwealths.
2013 Herculis Monaco DL *Full Results *Race Video Highlights (USA Visitors Only) *LRC Post-Race Video Interviews
IAAF Full Meet Recap Brigetta Barrett, Renaud Lavillenie, Montsho, Kiprop, Edwin Soi and Vesely all got world leaders.
1,500: LRC Asbel Kiprop Runs 3:27.72, Mo Farah Takes Down Steve Cram's British Record
What an unbelievable race. Asbel Kiprop's magic in Monaco continued with a 3:27.72 PR win and then in 3:28.81 was none other than Mo Farah. Bye-bye Steve Cram's British record. Farah, the Olympic 10k gold medallist is now the sixth-fastest 1,500 man ever. The vaunted American contingent was a non-factor in this one, but up front was so hot, it was hard to be a factor.
*Video Interviews With Mo Farah, Asbel Kiprop and Nick Symmonds
LRC: USA Women DESTROY Monaco 1,500! World Champion Jenny Simpson got the big win in her final race before Worlds, new 800m star Brenda Martinez nearly made it an American 1-2 after barely getting into the meet in the first place, and Shannon Rowbury and Gabriele Anderson ran 4:01 for 4th and 5th. US Champ Treniere Moser struggled in last, but the American women are back in the 1,500!
*Martinez #10 All-Time U.S. At 1,500M
800: LRC Duane Solomon Comes Through As The Favorite - Picks Up First Diamond League Victory The 2013 world #1 did his normal thing - get out fast, and in the end he BARELY hung on for his first DL victory.
5,000: LRC Four Men Break 13:00 But Americans Lagat And Rupp Struggle The guys up front were on WR pace early and that group included Lawi Lalang, who is now the fastest man in collegiate history, but not Galen Rupp or Bernard Lagat. Last time Lalang raced, he beat Kenenisa Bekele. Now he takes down Galen Rupp, proving this MBoarder is correct for a day: Lawi Lalang Is Better Than Galen Rupp.
MB: Shalaya Kipp gets the job done - 9:37 in Monaco Updated with post-race interview from Kipp. Milcah Chemos won in 9:14.
Monaco On The Boards:
*Monaco live updates-Official Thread
*2013 Monaco: Holy mother of God: Asbel Kiprop 3:27.72, Mo Farah sets British record at 3:28.81
*Farah 3:28.81 6th fastest 1500 runner of all time
*Shoutout to Symmonds for running 3:34
*A thought about Mo & Galen's new found speed
*Duane Wins 800: first American >= 800m with a win since...
*Soi 12.51! Galen Rupp failed to break 13:00 as this race went out super, super fast. Maybe 6:20 low at halfway. Looks like this guy was correct:
LRC Catching Up With The Olympic 1,500 Silver Medallist Leo Manzano In Monaco We sat down with Manzano this morning at his hotel in Monaco. Still
sponsorsless, Manzano seems to be in a great frame of mind and is very much looking forward to racing tomorrow.
MB: Carmelita Jeter Walks Out of Monaco Press Conference after Doping Question *1-Minute Video Here With Decent Sound Of Her Walking Out
LRC Mo Farah Talks Speed Before 2013 Herculis 1,500m After a double deck bus tour of Monaco with Mo was cancelled due to a storm, Mo was forced to do a normal presser. Farah: "I used to believe I could never beat the Kenyans until I trained with them."
Recommended Read: Ken Goe: Track And Field A Sport Of Haves And Have-Nots Goe takes a look at the state of the sport, saying, "For every Allyson Felix or Galen Rupp, who make a comfortable living from track and field, there are dozens of athletes living on the margins, near poverty or in debt, or bankrolled by relatives. Olympic dream? This is more like a nightmare."
Sad RIP News
- Steve Prefontaine's Mother Elfriede Dies At Age 88 Pre Classic meet director Tom Jordan: "Anyone who knew Elfriede knew how strong-willed she was - and stubborn. Even though she was always soft-spoken and very self-effacing, she had a toughness that Steve had also."
- Pregnant Former Ethiopian Olympian Meskerem Legesse Dies At 26 Years Old She died after collapsing at a restaurant, but doctors were able to save her baby, which wasn't due for another 3 weeks.
MB: Sad News: Former Ethiopian Runner Meskerem Legesse Collapes on US Street, Dies But Gives Birth and Baby Survives
- GB 1984 Olympic 4 X 400 Silver Medalist Todd Bennett Dies From Cancer At Age 51
*Obituary For Bennett
*The Guardian: Tributes Paid To "Inspirational" Todd Bennett
Good Read: Running Times: "More miles, more mustache and more maturity are leading Will Leer to impressive results" in 2013 Despite not making the US team for Moscow, Leer has ran well this year, especially considering he thought about quitting the sport after the Olympic Trials last year.
Tyson Gay And Asafa Powell Test Positive *The Thread With Insider Info That Predicted A Day In Advance Do You Have A Drug Tip? Contact Us
- David Epstein For SI: Tyson Gay Linked To Atlanta Anti-Aging Specialist Clayton Gibson Gibson admits to working with Gay, but was not specific with what treatments he received. Asked if he uses anything that could lead to a positive drug test, Gibson said, "what I have is all food-based products and herbals as well as homeopathic products ... [nothing] synthetic," but didn't seem to deny that some products could contain testosterone.
- adidas Moves Swiftly And Dumps Tyson Gay - Gay Continues To Accept Responsibility: "I know exactly what went on, but I can't discuss it right now ... I hope I am able to run again, but I will take whatever punishment I get like a man."
- Ato Boldon Says Supplements And Stimulants Should Be Legalized "Everyone is already on it. It's a question of who's getting away with it and who isn't."
- Tyson Gay And Now Asafa Powell And Five Jamaicans Test Positive
Even if this
up just being a positive for a stimulant that warrants a 3-month suspension, Gay's positive (and also now Powell's) is a huge blow to the sport. Gay: "I don't have a sabotage story. I don't have any lies. I don't have anything to say to make this seem like it was a mistake or it was on USADA's hands, someone playing games ... I basically put my trust in someone and I was let down."
*LRC: Do You Know Who Let Gay Down? We Want To Know
*MB: Makes you wonder, Who is the person that Gay trusted?
- New Yorker: TYSON GAY AND HOW TO CLEAN UP TRACK This is a Recommended Read as it contrasts how Gay and Powell have handled it - Gay has admitted it, Powell has claimed ignorance (plus it gives props to LRC).
- Science Of Sport: A House Of Cards? Sprinting Tumbles Down As Gay, Then Powell, Then Simpson, Carter Named As Failing Drug Controls
- Alan Abrahmson: Track's Dirty Day
- Hersh: Doping Issues Killing Track And Field Again
- USA Today: Track Experts Say Fight Against Doping Can't Be Won
- MB: LRC Thread Predicted Positive at 6pm Saturday night that a major US sprinter would test positive Clearly our Thread of the Month. And people wonder why we allow anonymous posting.
- MB: TYSON GAY FAILS TEST
MB: Makes you wonder, Who is the person that Gay trusted? *Describe Your Reaction to the Tyson Gay Tests Postive News in One Word *Admit it, we are all now waiting to see if Bolt is positve....
2013 Wharf To Wharf 6 Miler *Top 10 Results *MB Talk
In Road Debut, American Emily Infeld Cruises To Women's Title At 41st Annual Wharf To Wharf (Article updated) Despite what the article says, the race is 6 miles, not 10k.
MB: EMILY INFELD 30:52!!
Kenyan Nelson Oyugi Wins 41st Annual Wharf To Wharf In Convincing Fashion Local favorite Brett Gotcher was a career-best 3rd, Ben Bruce 5th, Lemoncello 6th, Scott Bauhs 9th and Solinsky was 10th. German Fernandez was a DNS.
*MB: Official 2013 Wharf to Wharf Predictions/Race Thread
Pre-Race: Former American Record Holder Chris Solinsky Hopes To Become The First American Wharf To Wharf Winner Since 1995
*Chris Solinsky Headlines 2013 Wharf To Wharf Race Elite Field
*Hometown Hero, Brett Gotcher, Takes Shot At Title
*Top 10 Moments In Wharf To Wharf History
Non-London News - 2013 Bix 7 Miler *Top 10 Bix Results
Former Iona Star Leonard Korir Wins Quad-City Times Bix 7 Meb was third, Desi 10th.
(Meb 3rd, Desi 10th)
Symmonds And Martinez 800m Medal Threats (More London Video Here)
News From Kenya
- 3-Time Steeple World Champ Moses Kiptanui Says Kipruto Will Win If Worlds Are Fast, Kemboi If It's Slow
- Asbel Kiprop Thirsts For 2nd World Title
USADA Says Tyson Gay's "B" Sample Tests Positive And That He Failed A Second Test At The US Championships USADA CEO Travis Tygart said, "The additional positive sample is consistent with him taking responsibility. He should be commended for that and for removing himself from World Championships, which we all should appreciate. The sample was expected ..."
Strange News: Runner Stops For A Smoke, Gets Mugged They apparently stole $7 from his wallet and the rest of his cigarettes.
Wejo Speaks: 5 More Thoughts From Monaco: My Favorite Monaco Moment: Jenny Simpson, "Keep Being Hard On The Cheaters" Before turning our full attention to London, Wejo's got 5 more behind-the-scenes thoughts on Monaco. Jenny Simpson wants a cleaner sport, Brigetta Barrett entertains on and off the track, the women's 1,500m runners impress, Lawi Lalang gets overlooked, and Queen Harrison love.
Other Drug News:
*IAAF Anti-Doping Stats: Top 10 Most Tested Nation Kenya, Russia and the USA top the list.
*More Drugs Shame On Jamaica After Soccer Player Fails Doping Test
US News: 2013 Will Be The Last Year The NYC Marathon Is Sponsored By ING The bank has sponsored the race for the last 10 years.
*Jenny Simpson Named USATF Athlete Of The Week For Her 1,500 Win At The Monaco DL Meet
Week In Review - The Week That Was
LRC Is Something Wrong With Galen Rupp? Mo Farah, Lawi Lalang And Jenny Simpson Impress, And A Royal Kiss During Leo Manzano's Race This week we struggle to put Mo Farah's amazing 1,500 run into perspective for you before moving on to see if Jenny Simpson might repeat as world champion. Along the way, we get caught up in the Prince and Princess mania that is sweeping the globe. We exclusively show you that Leo Manzano was running so bad in Monaco, that Prince Albert and Princess Charlene started to make out before his race was even over. We also come to realization that every race that Galen Rupp has run so far in 2013 has been worse than the same race he ran last year. Is something wrong?
Gone Over The Weekend? Monaco: Kiprop 3:27!!!, Farah!? 3:28. More Monaco Race Videos Here, Look To Your Left For LRC Recaps / Interviews
Jenny Simpson 4:00.48 Win In Monaco, Brenda Martinez 4:00.94 For 3rd! (Recap Here, More Monaco Race Videos Here)
Doping Talk Is Still Dominating The Headlines Worldwide
- Column From NZealand: No Current Athlete Transcends Sport More - Nor Has A Greater Responsibility To Perform Clean - Than Usain Bolt. "Bolt has always tested clean but if it was ever proven otherwise, it'd be the end of the sporting world as we know it. Forget the Ben Johnson and Lance Armstrong scandals, there would be unparalleled fury."
- Interesting Take On Tyson Gay-Asafa Powell Drug Scandal: "While tempting to conclude that the sport has arrived at its lowest ebb since 1988, it is still impossible not to love such a gloriously ruined, gloriously human spectacle." Article starts with, "This week something really bad happened to athletics. Justin Gatlin defended its integrity."
- LRC How Can Usain Bolt Be Clean (When Everyone Else Is Dirty)? He's The Lebron James And Babe Ruth Of Track And Field LetsRun.com
co-founder, Robert Johnson,
saw today's quote of the day and was spurred to write. He tells you how and why it's not crazy to believe Usain Bolt might be clean even though it seems as if everyone else he is racing might be dirty.
MB: Rojo and Usain Bolt
MB: Rojo's quote on Bolt - MAJOR flaw in reasoning.
Week In Review
LRC Gay And Powell Test Positive: Leroy Burrell The Fastest Of All Time?, Brandon Johnson Keeps Rolling, Ben True, Hassan Mead And More We take a look at Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell testing positive, give some props to some good performances on the track and much more.
Lolo Jones In Bar Fight *MB: Lolo Jones punched somebody.
- Lolo Jones Fights In Lake Placid Bar With Daughter Of Bobsled Official Witnesses said that the daughter confronted Jones and her teammate and Jones pushed her to the ground and they were later separated by bouncers outside the bar.
- SI: Officials Do Not Expect Sanctions For Bar Fght Incident
Russian Athletics Coach Slams Doping Claims Made By London Daily Mail Which Hinted At Conspiracy
*Conspiracy Theory? London's Daily Mail Alleging Doping Conspiracy In Russia Where Athletes Are "Ordered To Dope" By Coaches And Testing Labs Are Paid To Cover It Up The report claims that an "anonymous" Russian sport official said, "Russians are still taking anabolics that were developed in the GDR in the 1970s. Every sportsman takes doping at the early stages as they are not tested until they become grown-ups."
Think The Sub-2-Hour Marathon Is On The Horizon? Think Again
LRC The Myth Of The Sub-2-Hour Marathon The mainstream media thinks it may be close but in reality most people reading this will be dead when it happens.
*Science of Sport's Ross Tucker agrees: Pacing, fatigue and the brain. Lessons from London.
*MB: Sub 2 Hour Marathon Discussion: My Thoughts and Yours