2013 Herculis Monaco DL *Full Results *LRC Post Race Video Interviews
IAAF Full Meet Recap Brigetta Barrett, Renaud Lavillenie,, Montsho, Kiprop, Edwin Soi and Vesely all got World Leaders.
LRC: USA women DESTROY Monaco 1500! World Champion Jenny Simpson got the big win in her final race before Worlds, new 800m star Brenda Martinez nearly made it an American 1-2 after barely getting into the meet in the first place, and Shannon Rowbury and Gabriele Anderson ran 4:01 for 4th and 5th. US Champ Treniere Moser struggled in last, but the American women are back in the 1500!.
*Martinez #10 all time U.S. at 1500M
5000: LRC Four Men Break 13:00 But Americans Lagat and Rupp Struggle The guys up front were on WR pace early and that group included Lawi Lalang, who is now the fastest man in collegiate history, but not Galen Rupp or Bernard Lagat. Last time Lalang raced, he beat Kenenisa Bekele. Now he takes down Galen Rupp, proving this Mboarder is correct for a day: Lawi Lalang Is Better Than Galen Rupp.
MB: Shalaya Kipp gets the job done - 9:37 in Monaco Updated with post-race interview from Kipp. Milcah Chemos won in 9:14.
- Justin Gatlin Wins 100 In 9.94; Brigetta Barrett Won The HJ In 2.01 Over Anna Chicherova And Blanka Vlasic And Queen Harisson Took The 100H As Sally Pearson Was Back In 5th
- List Of US Performances: Women's US 4x100 Teams Go 1-2; Octavious Freeman, Allyson Felix, English Gardner and Carmelita Jeter Set MR Christian Taylor won the TJ.
- AP Monaco Recap: Mo Farah Breaks European 1500 Record And Steve Cram's 28-Year-Old UK Record
- Defending 400 Hurdle World Champ Dai Greene Was Forced To Pull Out Of Monaco With Achilles Injury
- Ivory Coast's Murielle Ahoure Wins 200 In 22.24 As Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Takes 3rd
- Amantle Monsho Wins 400 In 49.33 As Jamaica's Stephanie McPherson Gets A PB In 2nd With 49.92
- Capital FM: Asbel! 3:27.72! How’s that for a PB!
Who's Going To Moscow? No Tara Erdman; Caster Semenya Unlikely
- Tara Erdman Misses Shot At World Champs 10k "A" Standard She finished way off the 31:45 standard in 34:19. Now Amy Hastings Will take the 3rd place on US team for Moscow.
- Caster Semenya Likely To Miss World Championships She was left off an initial SA team list. She has until July 29th to run sub-2 if she wants to make the team, but her only race since the Olympics was 2:06 last week.
*More On SA's Named Team
- RW: Is Usain Bolt Running Out of Sprint Rivals For Moscow? No Blake, no Gay, no Powell. However, he did lose to Gatlin earlier in the year at Rome DL.
- Seb Coe Says He's Not Surprised UK Athletes Are Having A Lot Of Injury Issues In A Post-Olympic Year "My dad always used to say that coaching me a year after the Olympic Games was a bit like coaching an eggshell."
- It's Official: Olympic 1,500 Champion Taoufik Makhloufi Withdraws From Next Month's World Championships Due To A Viral Infection
*In Case We Missed This: TJer Philips Idowu Won't Be At Worlds He announced he's taking an "indefinite" break from track.
Science Of The Sport
- Study Says Frequent Exercise May Reduce Stroke Risk
- Study Bolsters Case For Women Staying Active Throughout Pregnancy Says It Lowers Pregnancy Risks Such As Having A High Birth Weight Baby
Other Drug News: 4th Jamaican Named Doping
- Another Jamaican Named: Olympic Discus Thrower Traves Smikle Fails Drug Test He says he did not knowingly ingest a banned substance and has requested his "B" sample be analyzed. This article also claims that the 5th Jamaican who tested positive and is yet unnamed is a junior athlete who tested positive at the Jamaican Trials.
*Smikle's Full Statement
- IAAF President Lamine Diack On Gay & Powell Positive Tests: "It's a catastrophe for me."
- Jamaica Anti-Doping Commission Says They Notified All 5 Athletes Who Tested Positive And Only One Requested Testing Of Their "B" Sample
News From The US
- Clark, Heather Daniel Kampf Set To Defend Ryan Shay Mile Titles Next Weekend Matthew Elliot is also in the men's race, while Geena Gall is in the women's.
- Running Times Q&A With Cory McGee On Getting The "B" Standard And Making US World Champs Team
- Good Read: USA Today Profile On Paralympic Sprinter Medalist David Prince, Who Turned His Life Around After Dropping Out Of School At 17 To Sell Drugs He ended up crashing his motorcycle in a street race and lost his lower right leg. After being arrested he turned to working out and competing to get his life straight.
- Some Boston Bombing Victims Not Happy With The Way Charity Money From The One Fund Was Distributed To Victims And Have Asked Attorney General To Step In Apparently, money was given out based on seriousness of injuries ranging from those who lost limbs receiving about $2 million down to those who were treated for injuries but didn't go to the hospital receiving $8,000.
- USTFCCCA Coaches Hall Of Fame Class of 2013 Announced
More Doping Updates: Powell Loses Sponsor
- Chinese Sportswear Company Li-Ning Suspends Sponsorship Of Asafa Powell
- MVP Coach Stephen Francis Dishes Throws Out A Lot Of Criticisms Against Powell And Blames His Agent Paul Doyle For Powell's Positive Test Francis says he warned against using the Canadian trainer saying, "I told him I did not want this person around my training sessions. I told him I don't trust people from Canada because they are usually quacks."
- Jamaican Observer Reports That Contrary To Some Rumors, Nesta Carter Is Not One Of The Jamaicans Who Failed A Drug Test
- Powell Returns To Jamaica Seeking Legal Advice
- It's A Scary Day When This Is A Headline: Cycling And Sprinting. Which Sport Is Worse For Doping?
- Canadian Trainer Chris Xuereb Insists He Didn't Provide Any Banned Or Illegal Substances And Refuses To Be A "Scapegoat" For Powell And Simpson
- The Guardian: Years of scandal and drug cheats have taken the joy out of winning
- Irish Paralympic Star Jason Smyth Has Not Ruled Out Returning To Training With Tyson Gay In Florida Despite Gay's Positive Test He said a decision would have to wait until after the IPC World Champs and he doesn't want to be distracted right now.
- Video: Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce backs Asafa Powell And Sherone Simpson
- Video: Jessica Ennis Shocked By Recent Sprinting Doping Allegations
International News: Vote For Haile
- Haile Gebrselassie Will Run For Ethiopian Parliament In 2015
Haile Gebrselassie Inspired Nigeria's Fastest Sprinter Obinna Metu When He Was A Youth Athlete Metu has run 10.11 and 20.55.
- Kenyan Olympic Finalist Jav Thrower Julius Yego Will Be First Kenyan To Compete In The Javelin At The World Championships He still doesn't have a coach and still relies on YouTube videos to coach himself.
- France, Germany, Russia And The UK Start Naming Their Teams For Moscow 2013
- UK Charities Accuse Ministers Of Pocketing Hundreds Of Millions Of Dollars Which Was Taken From National Lottery To Pay For Olympics
- Q&A With Jamaica's 2005 World Silver Medalist 100m Hurdler Delloreen Ennis, Who Retires After Not Making Jamaican Team For Moscow 2013 She also won bronze in 2007 and 2009.
Asafa Powell And Jamaicans Test Positive
- Asafa Powell, Sherone Simpson And Trainer Christopher Xuereb Placed Under Investigation By Italian Police Apparently, Powell and Simspon's agent Paul Dolye was the one who tipped WADA and organized the raid on their hotel, which Powell and Simpson were aware of, but trainer Xuereb was kept "out of the loop." Doyle said, "We're not trying to throw Chris under the bus and blame him for anything. ... We're not saying he did anything deliberate, but it's in those supplements."
- Powell May Have Been Taking 19 Different Supplements When He Tested Positive For Drugs
- Powell And Simpson Free To Leave Italy After Police Raids Doyle says he received an angry message from Xuereb after he was detained and questioned for 7 hours by Italian police.
- Trainer Xuereb Says He's Being Made A "Scapegoat" For Powell And Simpson He claims nothing he gave them was a banned substance and that they were using him as an excuse for their own doping. He suggested it's time for them to take "responsibility for their doping instead of looking around for a scapegoat."
- MVP Head Coach Stephen Francis Says He Warned Powell Against Working With The Canadian Trainer And Said The MVP Club Had Nothing To Do With It However, Francis said samples from the Canadian trainer that were shown to him did not contain performance-enhancing drugs.
- Francis Defends Powell, Saying They Have "great difficulty getting him to take basic stuff like protein, like vitamins."
- Powell And Simpson Tested Positive At Jamaican Trials, But Won't Be Doubly Punished If They've Tested Positive For The Same Substance At Other Meets Since Then
Other International News
- Iceland's First Ever World Champion Anita Hinriksdottir Following Up Her World Youth Championships 800 Win With European Juniors This Week She says that she and her coach have decided not to go to Moscow and won't run senior races until next year. She seems set on staying in Iceland (rather than going to college in the US) and wants to stay with her current coach through the 2016 Olympics.
- IAAF Inside Athletics Episode 22: Ato Boldon Interviews Sally Pearson
- IAAF French Champs Recap: Christophe Lemaitre Didn't Look Good In the 100, Running 10.26 Behind Vicaut, But Came Back To Win The 200
Previous Jamaican Doping News
- Asafa Powell And Sherone Simpson's Hotel In Italy Raided By Police With "Suspicious Substances" Taken Away For Analysis
- Powell's Team Denies "Stash Of Pills Found In Hotel Room" Story
- NY Times: Powell's And Simpson's Agent Blames Canadian Trainer Chris Xuereb For Failed Drug Tests They admit to being injected with Actovegin, a drug made from calves' blood extract and is said to enhance stamina, and is apparently now legal.
- Powell's Trainer Questioned By Italian Police
- What Is Oxilofrine? Stimulant that burns body fat and increases speed.
- Jamaican Olympic Discus Thrower Allison Randall One Of The Jamaicans Who Tested Positive Like Powell and Simpson, denied knowingly taking any PEDs, saying, "I have never even seen steroids and don't know the first thing about them."
Gone Over The Weekend? Some Positive News: *KBC-Nacht Full Results *Madrid Results
LRC Jordan Hasay Qualifies For Moscow World Champs, Just Misses Her Goal Of The IAAF "A" Standard Of 31:45 With 31:46.42 With three male pacemakers leading the way, Hasay punched her ticket to Moscow.
MB: Official Jordan Hasay chase thread
*Salazar: "Maybe I didn't rest her enough (to get the A), but her workouts have been good."
*Behind The Scenes Of Jordan Hasay's 10K Chase
Brandon Johnson 1:43.84 PR Win In Madrid, Nesta Carter 9.87 Brandon Johnson's incredible 2013 has kept rolling into July. LaTavia Thomas won the 800 with Jenny Simpson 3rd, and Gabrielle Anderson over Morgan Uceny in 1,500.
MB: *Brandon Johnson 1.43.83
LRC Cory McGee Qualifies For Worlds - Runs 4:06.67 In Belgium
LRC Ryan Hill Qualifies For 2013 IAAF World Track And Field Championships - Runs 13:14.22
More From The Weekend:
- Trevor Dunbar First Alaskan To Run Sub-4, Goes 3:59.06
- NZ's Zane Robertson Gets 5k World Champs "A" Standard With 13:13.83 Run In Heusden Twin brother Jake finished just behind him in 13:15.54, under the 13:20 "B" standard, but he also already has been selected for NZ in the 10,000.
- IAAF Recap: European Under-23 Championships: GB's Adam Gemili Wins 100 In 10.20
- Seven World Records Fall at 2013 USA Masters Outdoor Championships
- French Champs: VICAUT 9.95 (+0.9) and 9.95 (+0.3) at French Nationals 2013
- IAAF Full British Champs Reacap
- Hannah England Wins UK 1,500 After Other Two With "A" (Dobriskey And Weightman) Fail To Finish
- Perri Shakes-Drayton Sets New British Championships Record In 400H (54.36)
- James Dasaolu's Landmark Time Is Overshadowed By Doping Positives An editor in Britain is now wondering if Dasalou himself is doped.
- Tulsa's Chris O'Hare Wins 1,500 Title
*Pre-Race: Last Year's European Snub Is Motivating Force For O'Hare O'Hare says he'll redshirt indoors next year as his goal is the Commonwealths in Scotland.
*MB: Tulsa's Chris O'Hare wins 2013 GBR 1500, says he hasn't done any speed work as he tore his hamstring in May
- Marilyn Okaro Beats Jessica Judd For 800 title It wasn't close (2:00.60 to 2:02.81) as Okario ran a really good 58.72 for her last 400.
- James Dasaolu Runs Second-Fastest 100m In History By British Athlete At 9.91 The Brits are going crazy and telling Bolt to watch out.
MB: Calm down Brits, congrats you got a sprinter who has run 9.91 in a semi and gotten hurt
- Atheltics Weekly Recap Of Day 2
- Dai Greene Wins 400H With 48.66 Seasonal Best
- Day 1: Former FSU Runner Andrew Lemoncello Wins UK 10,000 In 29:28 Alyson Dixon won the women's 10,000 in 34:46.
LRC For The Record, David Rudisha Has Not Had Surgery All we can say is - don't believe everything you see on Facebook/Twitter, as we have reached out to Rudisha's agent, who has squashed the Internet rumors that Rudisha had knee surgery.
Paris DL Men *Full Results *Event-By-Event Results *Race Video Highlights (US Only) *LRC Paris Photo Gallery LRC Post-Race Video Interviews
*LRC Paris Photo Gallery Added
LRC Men's 1,500: Mission Accomplished* For American Men; Leo's BACK!!! Leo Manzano may still be sponsorless but the lion is officially out of hibernation as he showed why he is the Olympic silver medallist as he led the American charge as he and Lopez Lomong both got the "A" to finalize America's Moscow WC team. All was not totally well for the Americans, though, as Centro stepped off the track, possibly injured. Update: Salazar Says Centro's Not Injured - Just "Embarrassed" For Dropping Out For First Time Ever
Video: Leo, Lawi, Lopez And Lagat Talk After Paris 1,500
MB: Paris 1500m *Manzano IS BACK - 3:33.14 in Paris!!! *Centro DNF Paris 1,500?
LRC Men's Steeple: Ezekiel Kemboi Breaks 8:00 As Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad Breaks The European Record The men's steeple clash between the Olympic gold and silver medallists certainly lived up to the hype.
*EA: France's Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad Broke The Steeple European Record With 8:00.09
MB Talk: Manzano 3:33.14 for 3rd!, Lomong Gets "A", Centro Drops Out, Bolt 19.73, James Over Merritt, Kemboi Sub 8:00, Mekhissi 8:00.09, Individual links above for each headline. Manzano interview here.
2 Reviews & 1 Book Excerpt From John McDonnell: The Most Successful NCAA Coach In History
Book Excerpt The Legendary Story Of The 1989 Penn Relays DMR, Where 4 Kids From Arkansas, Texas And Missouri Beat 4 African
And The Olympic 1,500m Champ The 1989 Mount St. Mary's Penn
Relays DMR team featured 4 African Olympians, including 1988 Olympic 1,500m champ Peter Rono. John McDonnell's Arkansas squad featured 4 kids from Texas, Missouri and Arkansas. A legendary motivational speech by McDonnell and Joe Falcon on the anchor made for one of the great upsets in Penn Relays history. Read
all about it in this excerpt from the new John McDonnell biography.
LRC Reviews: #1: Two Thumbs Up
*Review #2 by D2 Coach Torrey Olson "It's got a lot to offer anyone interested in an incredibly sustained passion for the both the sport and the profession."
2013 Herculis Monaco DL *Full Results *LRC Post Race Video Interviews
1500: LRC Asbel Kiprop Runs 3:27.72, Mo Farah Takes Down Steve Cram's British Record
What an unbelievable race. Asbel Kiprop's
magic in Monaco continued with a 3:27.72 pr win and then in 3:28.81 was none other than Mo Farah. Bye-bye Steve Cram's British record. Farah, the Olympic 10k gold medallist is now the sixth fastest 1500 man ever. The vaunted American contingent was a non-factor in this one, but up front was so hot, it was hard to be a factor.
*Video Interviews with Mo Farah, Asbel Kiprop and Nick Symmonds
800: LRC Duane Solomon Comes Through As The Favorite – Picks Up First Diamond League Victory The 2013 world #1 did his normal thing - get out fast and in the end he BARELY hung on for his first DL victory.
Monaco On The Boards:
*Monaco live updates-Official Thread
*2013 Monaco: Holy mother of God: Asbel Kiprop 3:27.72, Mo Farah sets British record at 3:28.81
*Farah 3:28.81 6th fastest 1500 runner of all time
*Shoutout to Symmonds for running 3:34
*A thought about Mo & Galen's new found speed -
*Duane Wins 800: first American >= 800m with a win since...
*Soi 12.51! Galen Rupp failed to break 13:00 as this race went out super, super fast. Maybe 6:20 low at halfway. Looks like this guy was correct:
U.S. 5000m Runners Have NO CHANCE of Breaking 13 in Monaco
*Watch out for Albert Rop in Monaco
*How did Andy Bayer make it into Monaco 5000 DL over Hassan Mead or Bumbi???
*Breaking news: Farah's 3:28 bodes well for Rupp's 5,000?
*What does AlSal have to do to become GOAT coach. Is he GOAT already?
*How does Matthew Centrowitz feel being beaten by Mohamed Farah?
- AK Chairman Isaiah Kiplagat Speaks Out Against Kenyan Teachers Who Are Apparently Working With Agents To "Sneak" Youth Athletes Out Of The Country Kiplagat: "We have received reports about athletes who are stranded in Venezuela, Philippines, Mexico and Italy and we at the federation are just wondering how they got there without our permission."
- What Food Did Olympic Champions Eat At The 2012 Games? Usain Bolt ate a McDonald’s chicken wrap just before winning the 100 in 9.63.
- UK Paralympic Champoin Jonnie Peacock Says He Doesn't Get Recognized In The UK Even When He Was Standing Next To A Cardboard Cutout Of Himself At The Grocery Store
- IAAF: WMRA Grand Prix On July 21st In Italy
LRC Catching Up With The Olympic 1,500 Silver Medallist Leo Manzano In MonacoWe sat down with Manzano this morning at his hotel in Monaco. Still
sponsorsless, Manzano seems to be in a great frame of mind and is very much looking forward to racing tomorrow.
MB: Carmelita Jeter Walks Out of Monaco Press Conference after Doping Question *1-Minute Video Here With Decent Sound Of Her Walking Out
LRC Mo Farah Talks Speed Before 2013 Herculis 1,500m After a double deck bus tour of Monaco with Mo was cancelled due to a storm, Mo was forced to do a normal presser. Farah: "I used to believe I could never beat the Kenyans until I trained with them."
More Pre-Meet News:
- IAAF Press Conference Highlights From Mo Farah, Christian Taylor, Renaud Lavillenie, Sally Pearson, Carmelita Jeter, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce & HJers Anna Chicherova Brigetta Barrett, Blanka Vlasic Lavillenie has a brother that made the French team in the PV as well.
- AP Article: Unlike Jeter And Fraser-Pryce, Justin Gatlin And Brigetta Barrett Didn't Shy Away From Doping Questions
- Asbel Kiprop Says He Wants A PR In Monaco 1,500
- Gatlin to Powell And Gay: "I just wish the best for them, it's a stressful time, not only for them but the sport in general."
- Farah Says It Was Salazar's Call To Run 1,500 Here Instead Of 5k To Work On His Speed Even Though He Ran His 12:53 PR Here Last Year
- Monaco Meet Director Says That Too Much Emphasis In Track Is Placed On The 100m Jean-Pierre Schoebel: "Personally, track and field must not be summed up by the 100m."
- MileSplit Video Interview With Justin Gatlin: The Road To Moscow
- Reuters Preview
- Inside Athletics Episode 23: Ato Boldon Interviews US's World And Olympic TJ Champion Christian Taylor Taylor is in the TJ here.
- EA Recap Day 1 Of European Junior Champs: Turkey's Ali Kaya (Formerly Of Kenya) Won The Men's 10k In 28:31 Italian Lorenzo Dini took 2nd a minute back in 29:31, but only after Russia's Mikhail Strelkov stopped a lap early. Everyone in the field had been lapped by Kaya, but Strelkov didn't realize and stopped with Kaya before continuing on.
- GB's 15:34 5k Runner Emelia Gorecka Wants To End Her Junior Career On A High By Winning Gold At The European Junior Championships She got silver there two years ago.
- Brit 400 Hurdler Meghan Beesley Almost Quit After Not Making The Olympics Last Year But Now Is Going To Moscow 2013
- British Milers' Club Will Hold Their 50th Anniversary Meet This Weekend At Iffley Road, Where Roger Bannister First Broke The 4-Minute Mile Barrier
Recommended Read: Ken Goe: Track And Field A Sport Of Haves And Have-Nots Goe takes a look at the state of the sport, saying, "For every Allyson Felix or Galen Rupp, who make a comfortable living from track and field, there are dozens of athletes living on the margins, near poverty or in debt, or bankrolled by relatives. Olympic dream? This is more like a nightmare."
Sad RIP News: Steve Prefontaine's Mom Passes Away
- Steve Prefontaine's Mother Elfriede Dies At Age 88 Pre Classic meet director Tom Jordan: "Anyone who knew Elfriede knew how strong-willed she was - and stubborn. Even though she was always soft-spoken and very self-effacing, she had a toughness that Steve had also."
- Pregnant Former Ethiopian Olympian Meskerem Legesse Dies At 26 Years Old She died after collapsing at a restaurant, but doctors were able to save her baby, which wasn't due for another 3 weeks.
MB: Sad News: Former Ethiopian Runner Meskerem Legesse Collapes on US Street, Dies But Gives Birth and Baby Survives
- GB 1984 Olympic 4 X 400 Silver Medalist Todd Bennett Dies From Cancer At Age 51
*Obituary For Bennett
*The Guardian: Tributes Paid To "Inspirational" Todd Bennett
- Good Read: Running Times: "More miles, more mustache and more maturity are leading Will Leer to impressive results" in 2013 Despite not making the US team for Moscow, Leer has ran well this year, especially considering he thought about quitting the sport after the Olympic Trials last year.
- Lolo Jones Stops For Interview On Red Carpet At The ESPYS But Avoids Answering Questions About The Recent Bar Fight After she was asked she said, "Gotta run" and she did.
- Register-Guard: Oregon's Trevor Dunbar Ends Injury Filled Season By Becoming First Alaskan To Run Sub-4 Mile He ran 3:59.06 at the Portland Twilight Meet on Monday.
- William Bell Named USATF Athlete Of The Week After Setting WR In Men’s 90-94 Age Group, Clearing 2.05m (6-08.75) In The PV
More On Tyson Gay Testing Positive *The Thread With Insider Info That Predicted A Day In Advance Do You Have A Drug Tip? Contact Us
- David Epstein For SI: Tyson Gay Linked To Atlanta Anti-Aging Specialist Clayton Gibson Gibson admits to working with Gay, but was not specific with what treatments he received. Asked if he uses anything that could lead to a positive drug test, Gibson said, "what I have is all food-based products and herbals as well as homeopathic products ... [nothing] synthetic," but didn't seem to deny that some products could contain testosterone, DHEA or other banned substances.
- Good Read: U-T San Diego: Tyson Gay Tests Positive, And Our Faith Some interesting stats such as now 8 of the 10 men who have gone sub-9.80 have been linked to doping. Also, Victor Conte (the man behind BALCO) once said he didn't think any man could run faster than 9.92 seconds without doping.
- Mike Rodgers Says He Can Sympathize With Tyson Gay As Two Years Ago Rodgers Was Kicked Of The World Champs Team For Testing Positive For A Stimulant Which He Said Came From An Energy Drink Ironically, with Gay out of Moscow, Rodgers will go, as he was 4th at the Trials.
- Tyson Gay's Irish Paralympic Sprinter Training Partner Jason Smyth Says He Thinks All Who Intentionally Cheat Should Receive Lifetime Bans
Who Will Actually Be In Moscow?: David Rudisha And Yohan Blake Both Withdraw
- David Rudisha Officially Withdraws From Moscow World Champs As He Recovers From Knee Injury Coach Colm O'Connell: "It is just not possible for David to effectively defend his world title in Moscow, so we announced this morning his withdrawal."
- Yohan Blake Out Of Moscow World Champs With Hamstring Injury
*Jamaican Federation Admins Aren't Aware Of Blake's Withdrawal As They Said, "As far as we are concerned, yes, he is in the team."
- MB: Taoufik Makhloufi Not Competing in Moscow? This thread says he's battling a viral illness so won't compete.
- Former 100m World Champion Kim Collins Left Off St. Kitts And Nevis' Team For Moscow 2013 This despite the fact he ran a NR of 9.97 just over a week ago. Collins was infamously sent home from the Olympics last year for having sex with his wife. Does his federation have a grudge against him?
- Semenya Tries To Make Worlds Today: Caster Semenya Will Race For First Time Since Last Year Today At Lahti Games In Finland Based on this article, it sounds like she'll be going for the IAAF "A" standard of 2:00.00 as she is running out of time to get it.
- "Heavily-Pregnant" Vivian Cheruyiot: "If they (Ethiopians) make a mistake of celebrating because I am not in the team, they will be in for a rude awakening." She also said that she thought Gladys Cherono is capable of beating Tirunesh Dibaba.
- German HJ Record Holder Ariane Friedrich Won't Make World Champs Team As She Struggles Recovering From Knee Injury
UK Names Its Team For Moscow 2013
- Great Britain Names Its Team For Moscow 2013 One of the more controversial decisions was to give a 200 spot to 19-year-old Delano Williams, who recently switched his allegiance to Britain from Turks and Caicos Islands. He ran 20.27 this year, but ran horribly at the UK Trials, finishing 3rd in the final.
- RRW: British Distance Squad For Moscow Missing Many 2012 Olympians 16 distance athletes who ran at the 2012 Olympic games won't be competing in Moscow. There were 22 GB athletes competing in London, but only 6 of those 22 made the team for Moscow. There was some anger over athletes like Steph Twell, who could have gone with the "B," but still weren't selected.
- Jessica Ennis Named To Team Despite Still Recovering From Ankle Injury She hasn't competed since the Olympics.
- Former World Silver Medalist Lisa Dobriskey Pulls Out Of World Champs With Muscle Tear
- Olympic LJ Champ Greg Rutherford A Question Mark For GB Moscow Team He hurt his hamstring in one of the DL meets, so if he doesn't recover in time, Chris Tomlinson will go over him as neither have the "A" standard.
- GB Teen Sprint Sensation Adam Gemili Misses Out On 100m Worlds Spot, But Will Go In 200
- UK Performance Director Neil Black Thinks Breakout 9.91 Sprinter James Dasaolu Can Win A Medal In Moscow *2nd Article
- Black Says There Is "Not The Slightest Question Whatsoever" That Sprinter Dasaolu Is Drug-Free That's a pretty biased statement by Black. All professional athletes at this level are at least under suspicion.
- UK Independent: "James Dasaolu's coming of age catapults Briton into big time"
Previous Tyson Gay Drug News
adidas Moves Swiftly And Dumps Tyson Gay - Gay Continues To Accept Responsibility: "I know exactly what went on, but I can't discuss it right now ... I hope I am able to run again, but I will take whatever punishment I get like a man."
The Independent: "The Life-And-Death Fight Against Drugs Has Always Been Sport's Phoney War" UK writer "looks at athletics' history with drug scandals in the wake of a dark week that yet again tarnishes the sport."
Ato Boldon Says Supplements And Stimulants Should Be Legalized "Everyone is already on it. It's a question of who's getting away with it and who isn't."
- Former 100m Olympic Champ And WR Holder Donovan Bailey: "Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell know the rules - they are responsible for everything they consume." "I got to the point where I would go to the store and I would be eating hormone-free chicken. Every single thing that I was consuming, I knew it, and I wrote it down."
- Bailey And Boldon Differ In Opinions On How Much Blame Is On The Athlete Boldon: "An athlete does not have a degree in pharmacology. He is trusting of the person he is buying the supplements from, or the coach, or whoever is providing these supplements."
- IOC, IAAF Say Doping Cases Are Proof The System Works
- Tyson Gay's Coach Lance Brauman On Gay: "I take him at his word when he says he will be open an honest and will support and cooperate with USADA ..."
- Gay's Training Partner Jason Smyth Shocked By Gay's Positive Test
- USADA Response: " USADA appreciates his approach to handling this situation and his choice to voluntarily remove himself from competition ..."
- Guardian: Sprinters' Failed Drug Tests Cast Shadow Over Anniversary Of London Olympics Earlier in the year WADA director general David Howman said that track and field could be the next UCI.
- The Blame Game: The Guardian Looks At Five Famous Doping Denials/Excuses From Justin Gatlin blaming a vengeful masseur to the 1998 case where US sprinter Dennis Mitchell saying he had high testosterone from having too much sex.
- UK Athletics Chief Executive Niels de Vos Calls For 4-Year Ban For Tyson Gay And Asafa Powell
- Seb Coe Says The Fight Against Doping In Athletics Was "not a war we can afford to lose."
Previous Tyson Gay / Asafa Powell News
Tyson Gay And Now Asafa Powell And Five Jamaicans Test Positive Even if this
up just being a positive for a stimulant that warrants a 3-month suspension, Gay's positive (and also now Powell's) is a huge blow to the sport. Gay: "I don't have a sabotage story. I don't have any lies. I don't have anything to say to make this seem like it was a mistake or it was on USADA's hands, someone playing games ... I basically put my trust in someone and I was let down."
LRC: Do You Know Who Let Gay Down? We Want To Know
MB: Makes you wonder, Who is the person that Gay trusted?
More Coverage: *AP On Gay *NY Times On Gay *Powell/Simpson Article *Powell's Statement Saying He's Not A Cheater
*New Yorker: TYSON GAY AND HOW TO CLEAN UP TRACK This is a Recommended Read as it contrasts how Gay and Powell have handled it - Gay has admitted it, Powell has claimed ignorance (plus it gives props to LRC).
*Science Of Sport: A House Of Cards? Sprinting Tumbles Down As Gay, Then Powell, Then Simpson, Carter Named As Failing Drug Controls
*Alan Abrahmson: Track's Dirty Day
*Hersh: Doping Issues Killing Track And Field Again
*USA Today: Track Experts Say Fight Against Doping Can't Be Won
More: Powell's Trainer Arrested In Italy
*Reuters: Positives Deliver Body Blow To Troubled Sport From widespread doping in Turkey to widespread doping in sprinting, it's been quite a week on the anti-doping front.
*A Look Back At The Sprinting Dopers Over The Last 25 Years A better to ask would be who hasn't doped, as it's basically like the Tour de France.
*Jamaica's Women's Discus Champ "Shocked" By Positive Test As Well
*Powell Says He's Not A Cheat
*Drug Crisis After Gay And Powell Test Positive
*Full Statements From Jamacians Powell & Simpson
MB: LRC Thread Predicted Positive at 6pm Saturday night that a major US sprinter would test positive Clearly our Thread of the Month. And people wonder why we allow anonymous posting.
MB: TYSON GAY FAILS TEST
MB: Confirmed: Tyson Gay admits positive test, out of worlds. "I put my trust in someone."
*Powell busted for OXILOFRINE a stimulant
*Makes you wonder, Who is the person that Gay trusted?
*Powell busted for OXILOFRINE a stimulant
*Describe Your Reaction to the Tyson Gay Tests Postive News in One Word
*Admit it, we are all now waiting to see if Bolt is positve....
- Interesting Take On Tyson Gay-Asafa Powell Drug Scandal: "While tempting to conclude that the sport has arrived at its lowest ebb since 1988, it is still impossible not to love such a gloriously ruined, gloriously human spectacle." Article starts with, "This week something really bad happened to athletics. Justin Gatlin defended its integrity."
- Two Men Have Been Charged With Threatening US Anti-Doping Agency CEO Travis Tygart In Aftermath Of USADA's Case Against Lance Armstrong
- Quotes From Sally Peason, Christian Taylor And Justin Gatlin On Gay/Powell Doping Scandal
- LRC How Can Usain Bolt Be Clean (When Everyone Else Is Dirty)? He's The Lebron James And Babe Ruth Of Track And Field LetsRun.com
co-founder, Robert Johnson,
saw today's quote of the day and was spurred to write. He tells you how and why it's not crazy to believe Usain Bolt might be clean even though it seems as if everyone else he is racing might be dirty.
MB: Rojo and Usain Bolt
MB: Rojo's quote on Bolt - MAJOR flaw in reasoning.
Week In Review
LRC Gay And Powell Test Positive: Leroy Burrell The Fastest Of All Time?, Brandon Johnson Keeps Rolling, Ben True, Hassan Mead And More We take a look at Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell testing positive, give some props to some good performances on the track and much more.
Mid-Week Results: Americans Distance Action In Europe; Caster Semenya's 2013 Debut, Badwater
- IAAF Lucerne, Switzerland Recap: Charles Jock Beats Brandon Johnson 1:46.18 To 1:46.41 In the 3,000, Kenya's Kangogo Cornelius won in 7:42.51 over US's Evan Jager (7:43.36), David Torrence (7:43.48),
Chris Derick (7:44.01) and Dan Huling (7:44.42). Diego Estrada was 6th in 7:47.77. Kim Conley won the 800 in 2:07. Olympic PV silver medalist Yarisley Silva beat German record holder Silke Spiegelburg with a vault of 4.81m.
*List Of US Top Performances: Brianna Rollins Wins 100H Over Queen Harrison
*Another Sprinter Out Of Worlds? Jamaica's Nesta Carter Pulled Out Of Lucerne Meet With Thigh Injury Will the second-fastest 100m man in 2013 also not be at Worlds?
*Valerie Adams Dominates Lucerne SP In 20.76m This was her 37th straight win.
- 2:06 For Semenya: Caster Semenya Returns To Competition With Pedestrian Win In 2:06.58 In Finland She'll need to improve a lot very soon if she wants the World Champs "A" standard of 2:00.00. Her agent had previously said she had no other scheduled competitions, but we assume she'll race again before the window closes July 29th (according to this article).
- Morton Games In Dublin, Ireland: Cory Leslie Wins Mile In 3:55:85 Over Duncan Philips (3:56.27); Craig Miller 4th (3:57.35) (results only) Riley Masters and Jeff See were 10th and 11th just over 4 minutes. In the 800 Ireland's Mark English won in 1.45.32 over Cas Loxsom (1.45.75) and Mark Wieczorek (1:45.86). Mexico's Juan Luis Barrios won
the 3k (7.45.12) beating UK's Andy Vernon and US's Hassan Mead; Bobby Curtis was 5th (7:56.98). Katie Mackey won the women's 800 in 2.02.21. Brie Felnagle took the women's mile in 4:30.44. Ashley Higginson, Aisha Praught and Deborah Maier were 4th-6th in the 4:34-5 range.
- Tuesday In Lignano, Italy: A Slew Of Americans PR In Lignano, Italy (Bayer, Blankenship, Kampf, Grace, Huddle, Etc.)
- Death Valley: Portugal's Carlos Gomes Wins Badwater Ultramarathon, Running In 120-Degree Temperatures (170 Degrees On The Road Surface) Dean Karnazes was 17th. Australian Catherine Todd won the women's race.