Kenya Moscow Champs Are Saturday
- Men's 10,000 Should Be Hot In Kenya - Bidan Karoki Doesn't Fear Anyone Karoki has switched from training in Japan to Kenya in June. "I know it's a strong field but I fear nobody."
- Agents Ricky SImms And Gianni Demadonna Talk About Their Athletes' Chances At Kenyan Trials
- Where Are The Kenyan Sprinters? It's called genetics.
- Athletics Kenya Says David Rudisha Is Only One Automatically On Moscow Team Many still think defending champs Kiprop, Ezekiel Kemboi and DL champ P. Kipsiele Koech might be safe.
- Rudisha's Agent: "He's obviously a big doubt. You know this. But I've got no further comment at the moment."
- Kenya Will Run 4 X 400 Team In Moscow
- Rudisha's Coach Brother Colm Is Worried Rudisha May Be Out Of Moscow World Champs
- MB: Colm O'Connell: Rudisha Uncertain For Moscow
- Kenyan National Team Coach: "We expect new names in 800m at the trials."
- Xinhua Preview Of Distance Races At Kenyan Trials - A Look At The Difficulty Of Making The Kenyan Team
KBC-Nacht is Saturday *2013 KBC-Nacht Entries *KBC-Nacht Live Results
LRC A Slew Of Americans Are Competing In Belgium On Saturday, Including Cory McGee & Ryan Hill Going For 1,500 And 5,000 Standards This meet seems to be the "Stanford" of Belgium as tons of Americans are there. From past stars like Alan Webb to a future one, Ajee' Wilson.
*MB: Ryan Hill going for standard in Belgium on Fri.
*MB: Alan Webb in Huesden 5k !!!!
*Kiwi Robertson Twins Racing Each Other In 5,000 At KBC-Nacht, Looking For 5,000 Qualifier To Moscow Could Adrian Blincoe's 13:10 Kiwi record fall? *SpikesMag On The Robertsons
Preview Of Saturday's "Meeting de Madrid 2013," Where Brandon Johnson Will Run 800
More Distance News
- MB: Bob Kennedy and Meb Keflezighi Buying 3 San Diego Running Stores
- NCAA Star Lawi Lalang Says He's Got One More Race Left (5k In Monaco) And That He's Returning To Arizona
- New Toledo Coach Tony Packo Wants To Get Runners Out In Community We like the idea to send them out to local running stores.
- Tom Derderian Pushing For Pedestrian Bridge To Honor Boston Marathon Victims
World Championships News
Relay Duty For Asafa Powell In Moscow?
*Hannah England Heads Into British Trials Happy And Healthy
*Martyn Rooney Hoping To Beat Hamstring Struggles At World Championships Trials Rooney has only run 46.00. Michael Bingham is GBR leader at 45.37.
*Kawauchi Tells Crowd Of 1,000 At High School World Championships Sendoff Ceremony: "I Will Make Top Six"
*Jessica Ennis Is Still Injured, Not Competing At UK Trials
- Surprising: After Quitting As Head UK Coach, Peter Eriksson To Be Named Head Coach For Canada His wife and family live in Canada. Makes sense.
- IOC To Do "In-Depth" Study On What Sports It Should Have In Olympics, Some May Replace Current Events By 2020 No events will be added for 2016.
- Highlights From Jacques Rogge Press Conference
- We Respectfully Disagree: Turkish Official: Doping Cases Won't Harm 2020 Bid
LRC For The Record, David Rudisha Has Not Had Surgery All we can say is - don't believe everything you see on Facebook/Twitter, as we have reached out to Rudisha's agent, who has squashed the Internet rumors that Rudisha had knee surgery.
Kenyan Trials This Weekend
Preview Of This Weekend's Kenyan World Championships Trials: Top 2 In Each Event Go While The Third Is Chosen By Panel Of Selectors Top contenders in the men's 5,000 include 2008 Olympic bronze medallist Edwin Soi (who beat Mo Farah at Pre), 2012 Olympic bronze medalist Thomas Longosiwa and Isaiah Koech. In the 10k, Emmanuel
Bett (26:51.16) faces Vincent Chepkok (26:51.68), Africa 10,000m medalist Kenneth Kipkemoi (26:52.65), 2:03 marathoner Geoffrey Mutai, road WR holder Leonard Komon, former World Half Marathon winner Wilson Kiprop and World XC silver medalist Lucas Rotich. Iowa State's Betsy Saina leads charge in women's 10,000.
*Video: Ezekiel Kemboi Shows Off His Dance Moves In Paris
Other International News
- Sally Pearson's Blog: Getting Through The Hard Times
- Britain's Lynsey Sharp Injured, Out Of Worlds
- Belarusian Anis Ananenka Wins 800 At Sotteville, France Meet In 1:45.04
- Q&A With Former British Discus Thrower Turned NFL Player Lawrence Okoye On His Start In Sports And Switch From Track To Football He's currently with the 49ers.
Random Running Stuff
- Canadian Team, Including Ageless Ed Whitlock, Breaks WR For Age-80 4 X 800 Relay Their team ran 14:24 (3:36 average) with 82-year-old Whitlock running sub-3:00 as the fastest leg.
- Shoe Insert Converts Running Motion Into Usable Electricity Tests are being conducted to see if it can be a practical model to market.
- Kevin Costner to Play High School XC Coach In Disney Movie Called "McFarland" About The Story Of A Team From An "Impoverished Hispanic Town" That Won States
- Oscar-Nominated Screenwriters Behind "The Fighter" Planning Movie About Boston Marathon Bombings
- Vin Lananna And Alberto Salazar Numbers 16 And 20 On List Of 25 Most Influential People In Oregon
International News: Sally Pearson In Trouble? Dayron Robles On The Upswing, Shalaya Kipp Misses The "A" And Haile G For President!
- Is Sally Pearson In Trouble? Pearson Finishes 3rd In French Meet Won By US's Yvette Lewis, Who Didn't Even Make The Final At USAs Lewis ran 12.72; Pearson 12.76. On the opposite end of the spectrum, Dayron Robles is on
the comeback trail as he won the 110H in a huge season's best of 13.18.
*Full Results Shalaya Kipp misses steeple "A" as she runs 9:47 for 3rd, Aussie Collis Birmingham wins 3k in 7:41 with Garrett Heath (7:44) and Ben Blankenship (7:47) 7th and 8th; Charles Jock 4th in 800 (1:46.73) with Ryan Martin and Tyler Mulder 7th and 8th, Gabriele Anderson 4:05 for 2nd in 1,500, Murielle Ahoure won the 100 in 10.91.
- Cuban Hurdler Orlando Ortega Suspended By His National Federation For 6 Months For "Serious Misconduct" Things just got easier for the rest of the hurdlers in the world as Ortega is ranked 3rd in the world this year, but now will miss World Champs.
- A New Race: Haile Gebrselassie To Enter Politics, Running For A Seat In Ethiopian Parliament As An Independent Candidate In 2015 And Maybe Eventually President ... Even if his wife is not sure it's a good idea.
- Today: Nate Brannen To Attempt Canadian 2,000m Record In Toronto Today The current record is 5:01.57, which is held by Taylor Milne and set in 2011.
- Oscar Pistorius To Appear During Episode Of New Magician Television Show Apparently the clip was filmed back in November before the murder case. The network thought about cutting it from the episode, but decided to keep it in.
- Rob Denmark, Coach Of 18-Year-Old Sub-2 Runner Jessica Judd, Is Concerned About Too Much Pressure Being Put On Her At An Early Age "In terms of the attention, the sensible ones know it doesn't last forever, but athletes don't tend to be in this sport to become famous."
- Australia's Olympic LJ Silver Medalist Mitchell Watt Withdraws From World Championships With Achilles Injury
- Ato Boldon Talks About Winning His First World Title In Athens 1997 In The 200, Where He Bounced Back From A Disappointing Loss In The 100 He says he can laugh about it now, but at the time he was upset that no one from the Trinidad and Tobago federation was around to give him a flag for his victory lap.
- Jason Gardener
BacksWonders If GB TJer Phillips Idowu ToWill Rekindle Top Form Currently Idowu has only jumped twice this year, is only ranked 4th in the UK and doesn't have the "A" standard.
Paris DL Men *Full Results *Event-By-Event Results *Race Video Highlights (US Only) *LRC Paris Photo Gallery LRC Post-Race Video Interviews
*LRC Paris Photo Gallery Added
LRC Men's 1,500: Mission Accomplished* For American Men; Leo's BACK!!! Leo Manzano may still be sponsorless but the lion is officially out of hibernation as he showed why he is the Olympic silver medallist as he led the American charge as he and Lopez Lomong both got the "A" to finalize America's Moscow WC team. All was not totally well for the Americans, though, as Centro stepped off the track, possibly injured. Update: Salazar Says Centro's Not Injured - Just "Embarrassed" For Dropping Out For First Time Ever
Video: Leo, Lawi, Lopez And Lagat Talk After Paris 1,500
MB: Paris 1500m *Manzano IS BACK - 3:33.14 in Paris!!! *Centro DNF Paris 1,500?
LRC Men's Steeple: Ezekiel Kemboi Breaks 8:00 As Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad Breaks The European Record The men's steeple clash between the Olympic gold and silver medallists certainly lived up to the hype.
*EA: France's Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad Broke The Steeple European Record With 8:00.09
MB Talk: Manzano 3:33.14 for 3rd!, Lomong Gets "A", Centro Drops Out, Bolt 19.73, James Over Merritt, Kemboi Sub 8:00, Mekhissi 8:00.09, Individual links above for each headline. Manzano interview here.
Elite Women In The News: Did You Forget About Caster Semenya?
- Caster Semenya's Coach Says Her Training And Rehab From Injury Are Going Well And She'll Be Back In Action In Europe In 2 Weeks Coach Mutola: "I know people have been saying all sorts of things about Caster's fitness, but she is going to silence them." She'll need to get a fast time in her first time out as the window for Moscow closes July 20th.
- Recommended Read: Tim Layden Article On Mary Cain's Emergence As The Fastest Prep Mid-Distance Female In US History And Her Coping With The Burden Of Great Expectations Cain: "I'm not one of those people who is scared, like, Ooooh, I'm going to burn out. And even if this is the best year I ever have in my life, I've experienced a hell of a lot. But I don't believe that's what this is. I'm surrounded by people who know what they're doing. I know I'm not done and I'm not meant to be done."
- Jamaica-Gleaner Q&A With 400m Runner Novlene Williams-Mills On Her Comeback From Breast Cancer, Winning Nationals After Having Surgery In January
- Rio 2016 Will Feature More Overall Medals And More Women Competitors Than Ever Before
Non-LRC Paris Coverage
- List Of American Results
- IAAF Full Meet Recap: Bolt, James, Dibaba, Kemboi Set World Leads
- AP Paris Recap: Usain Bolt Runs World-Leading 19.73 200; Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Held Off Blessing Okagbare To Win 100 In 10.92 With English Gardner 5th (11.13) Aries Merritt is back on top, running 13.09 to win; David Oliver was 3rd (13.13). Olympic champ Anna Chicherova won the HJ in 2.01 over Brigetta Barrett and Blanka Vlasic.
- AW Recap: Ukraine's Zuzana Hejnova Wins 400 Hurdles In A NR 53.23, UK's Perri Shakes-Drayton Second In 53.96 Olympic champ Robert Harting won the discus.
- Olympic LJ Champ Greg Rutherford Has To Quit Early With Hamstring Pull; He Says He'll Have Plenty Of Time To Recover Before Moscow He initially seemed to think it could mean the end to his season, but then he tweeted that he realized there were still 5 weeks until Moscow.
- Daily Relay: Five Things We Learned In Paris
- Valerie Adams Wins Paris SP With 20.62m
- Video: Usain Bolt Shows Off DJ, Dance, Soccer Skills In Paris
- BBC Recap
International Pros In The News
- With A Nagging Calf Injury And The Birth Of His First Child, Nick Willis Isn't Currently In Great Form, But Says He Is On The "Comeback Trail" Willis said, "I'm on the comeback trail, but it has been a tedious little injury. I am no longer inhibited by the volume I can run, but am yet to fully open my stride, so I'm limited to running hill intervals to substitute for track training."
- Gator Alum Genevieve LaCaze Out Of Worlds With Compound Foot Fracture
- Where Has Russia's 800m Olympic Champ Mariya Savinova Been? She Talks About The Couple Local Races She's Done And Why She Avoids The Diamond League She says she ran 2:00.67 and 2:00.20 and is avoiding the Diamond League to avoid the stresses of travel and keep her same training routine at home. She also complains about hot 95 degree (35 Celsius) temperatures in Moscow. Note: tilastopaja.org says she also ran a 1:58.75 800 in early June.
- Steve Hooker And Russian Olympic Mid-D Runner Katya Kostetskaya Have A Baby Boy If genes mean anything, that kid will be talented as both Hooker and Kostetskaya have parents who were world class athletes too.
- Former UK Discus Thrower Okoye Heads For Football Camp With 49ers
- NZ World Junior SP Champ Jacko Gill Says He Might Skip World Champs And Look Ahead To Next Year's Commonwealth Games As He Deals With Issues From An Ankle Sprain From Last Year He will still try to qualify for Moscow at a meet on July 20th where he will need at least the 20.10m "B" standard (his PR is 20.38m).
- The Latest From Paris: LRC Genzebe Dibaba Out Of 5k, Is Bekele Out Of Worlds As Well? A Frenchman The Favorite In The Steeple?, English Gardner More Pampered At Oregon Than As A Pro, SAFP Rags To Riches, High Jump Mania We've got Friday's press events covered with our analysis and insights and video
from everyone above. *IAAF
*IAAF Full Meet Preview
LRC Men's Preview: Bernard, Lawi, Leo, Centro And Lopez Look To Run Fast In 1,500 - History In Men's Steeple? A stacked 1,500 and perhaps the first non-African sub-8:00 in the steeple are must-watch events here.
- LRC Women's Preview: The Dibaba Sisters Battle For The First Time In 4 Years; Alysia Montaño Takes On Francine
Niyonsaba The women's 5,000 will feature a Dibaba sister
clash for the first time in 4+ years. Americans Molly Huddle, Amy Hastings, Ajee' Wilson and Kate Grace all are competing in Paris as well.
- More: Usain Bolt Admits He Is Not Invincible, But Says When He's At The Top Of His Game He Doesn't Think Anyone Can Beat Him
- AP Preview: Bolt: "I'm really trying to get back on target. ... I'm feeling great in training, I'm running pretty well. I have a few more weeks to go."
- LJer SA's Khotso Mokoena Gaining Momentum Going Into Paris DL Faces good field in Olympic champ Greg Rutherford and past champ Dwight Phillips.
A Fantastic 2013 Athletissima Lausanne Is In The Books *Results *LRC Lausanne Photos *Video Highlights (USA Visitors Only) *LRC Post-Race Video Interviews
*IAAF Recap *AP
Recap *LRC Lausanne Flash Photos *Race Video Highlights (US only)
LRC Six Non-Distance Takeaways: Tyson Gay The Pro, Bohdan Bondarenko!!!, Lolo Jones Gets A Date And Goes Bobsledding, Kimberlyn Duncan The Rookie, David Oliver's Coming Back, Lauryn Williams Still Running LRC's insights from the non-distance action in Lausanne, including a look at the incredible week of Bohdan Bondarenko. Plus, the latest from LetsLolo.com.
Related: Lolo Jones Goes To The Bobsled And Accepts Her Twitter Date: Who Will Pay And Is He "Legal"? Her date had better pay. He asked her out. And the "legal" comment was Lolo's, not ours.
LRC 5,000: Yenew Alamirew Will Outkick You If Your Name Isn't Mo Farah Alamirew let up at the end and still ran a 24.1 last 200. Ridiculous. Afterwards, we caught up with Tariku Bekele, who has no idea if his brother Kenenisa is going to Worlds. We also spoke with Diego Estrada, who is now coached by Joe Vigil.
LRC Mo Aman Impresses In 800m In His Final Race Before Worlds Mo Aman won his 3rd 800m of the week with the world's 2nd fastest time and then he called it a season until Worlds. Smart move. Brandon Johnson was not a factor in his first DL race in 5th, and 19-year-old Nijel Amos faded in his first 800 of the year. *Brandon Johnson Interview
LRC 1,500m: Abeba Aregawi Remains Dominant And Americans Continue To Struggle Abeba Aregawi blew away the field in the final 200m again and the American women who used to be the #1 in the world at this continued to struggle. Shannon Rowbury was 5th and Morgan Uceny faded to last. *Shannon Rowbury Talks About Adding More Endurance Training To Get Ready For 5,000m
LRC Steeple: Ayalew Somehow Edges Assefa, No More Steeples For Higginson Until Worlds? Shalaya Kipp fans might want to get a little nervous as this might be Higginson's last steeple before Worlds. *Higginson May Not Steeple Until Worlds
Other Action: *Ukraine's Bohdan Bondarenko Clears 2.41m (Best Jump Since 1994), Comes Close To WR At 2.46m
*Bondarhenko: "I can't explain my progression, it's simply great for me."
*Tyson Gay (9.79) Gives Usain Bolt World Championships Warning In Lausanne Telegraph
*Sally Pearson (12.69) Has Worst Performance In 3 Years
*Results: Gay 9.79 Over Powell, Bondarenko Attempts 8 Feet In HJ, Aman Gets Faster, Alamirew Keeps Kicking, Aregawi Wins
- Lausanne Discussion: MB: Wow: Alamirew 24.1 last 200 to win 2013 Lausanne 5000!!
- Gay 9.79, Powell 9.88!
- Bondarenko going for WR!!!!
- T-Gay doesn't high-five the giant squirrel; where's the outrage??
- Kim Collins and Bernard Lagat are incredible!!!
- AMAN 1:43.33
- Ethiopians will field a strong 5000 team in moscow but they will not beat Mo Farah
More Lausanne LRC Felix Sanchez
Is Was A Nervous Distance Runner Just Like You, What If Bolt And Gay Raced Each Other
The High Hurdlers? How
Many Montshos Are There In The World? And Jeter Still Bringing It To celebrate the 4th of July, we got carried away and have two non-distance articles from Lausanne. We delve into the 100 vs. 110 hurdles, Gay vs. Bolt, unsponsored 32-year-old Ryan Wilson making his first Worlds team and more. Give it a read and tell your family you need to watch track from 2-4pm on the 4th.
Press Conference: LRC Tyson Gay Talks About Usain Bolt, Being Healthy, And Jon Drummond's Absence As He Begins His 2013 European Campaign On July 4th
America's best is looking for a big performance on his nation's birthday as he is healthy for the first time since 2007 and dreaming of beating Usain Bolt, whom he hopes is at his best in Moscow. Gay also reveals he no longer is working with Jon Drummond.
*IAAF Press Conference Highlights Quotes from Lavillenie, Pearson, R. Wilson, Sanchez, Culson, Duncan, Gay and Jeter.
Duane Solomon #2 All-Time 600 At Harry Jerome Classic In Canada *Results
LRC Analysis Duane Solomon Runs 1:13.28 600, 2nd Fastest In The World All-Time Solomon's coach and US 800m record holder Johnny Gray has the record at 1:12.81. We tell you what it's equal to for 800 (probably not as fast as you think) and remind you not to forget Kenya's John Kipkurgat, who once split 1:13.2 in an 800 race way back in 1974. Cas Loxsom was 2nd here in 1:14.84.
International News: Coe Says It's OK To Have A Couple Of Beers If You Run 100 Miles/Week
- Seb Coe Q&A With Esquire "When you're running a hundred miles a week, a couple of beers after a day's training isn't a problem. I think we've got rather obsessed with diet."
- Good NY Times Tribute Article To 1956 Olympic Marathon Champion Alain Mimoun Include quotes from Mimoun about his interactions with Emil Zatopek.
- South African Athletes Will Now Be Able To Compete At The World University Games As University Sports South Africa (USSA) Have Pulled Out Of South African Sports Confederation And Olympic Comittee (SASCOC) SASCOC refused to send a track and field team because they have suspended Athletics South Africa, so USSA just pulled out of SASCOC.
2 Reviews & 1 Book Excerpt From John McDonnell: The Most Successful NCAA Coach In History
LRC Book Review By Former Hog Marlon Boykins: "Two
book is full of insight into the hard-working, team-first ethos that
made us such a successful." We had two people review the book, including the 1:47 man Boykins, who was at Arkansas at the pinnacle of its heyday. "It was a self-contained UBER-COMPETITIVE atmosphere ... the sprinters, jumpers and distance guys all trying to show which group reigned supreme ..."
Book Excerpt The Legendary Story Of The 1989 Penn Relays DMR, Where 4 Kids From Arkansas, Texas And Missouri Beat 4 African Olympians And The Olympic 1,500m Champ The 1989 Mount St. Mary's Penn Relays DMR team featured 4 African Olympians, including 1988 Olympic 1,500m champ Peter Rono. John McDonnell's Arkansas squad featured 4 kids from Texas, Missouri and Arkansas. A legendary motivational speech by McDonnell and Joe Falcon on the anchor made for one of the great upsets in Penn Relays history. Read all about it in this excerpt from the new John McDonnell biography.
LRC Review #2 John McDonnell D2 Coach Torrey Olson We had Olson, who has an MFA in creative writing, give his take. "It's got a lot to offer anyone interested in an incredibly sustained passion for the both the sport and the profession."
- Former FSU Runner Andrew Lemoncello Wins UK 10,000 In 29:28 Alyson Dixon won the women's 400in 34:46.
- Hannah England: "It should be a great title fight between Lisa, Laura and me in 1,500."
- Jess Judd Argues With Her Coach All The Time But The Coach Is Fine With That
- Jessica Judd Said Meeting, Exchanging Texts With Paula Radciffe Was Inspirational
- 6 Athletes To Watch At The UK Trials
- Sportsbeat Day 1 GBR Recap
- Sprinters: Dwain Chambers Runs 10.06 In Trials At UK Champs "Kim Collins is making me look back," said Chambers. "He has run 9.99 twice now at 37. It shows that age is nothing but a number. I think it's my turn to show what I can do."
- James Dasaolu Hoping To Become 4th Brit Under 10.00 This Weekend Brits haven't had a new sub-10 guy in 14 years.
- Sprinter Anyika Onuora Has Moscow "A" Qualifiers In 100 (11.20), 200 (22.93) And 400 (51.38) After Switching Training
- Dai Greene Looking For 1st Win Of Year
- Previous: RRW: Preview Of Distance Action At 2013 British Champs - No Mo Farah, But Distance Races Should Still Entertain
- Preview Of Men's Action: Chris O'Hare & Lee Emanuel May Battle It Out For 1,500 Spot
- Preview Of Women's Action
- More On Jessica Ennis Withdrawal - Coach Optimistic She'll Be In Moscow
- 18-Year-Old Jessica Judd Went To The Zoo The Same Day She Broke 2:00 For 1st Time Healthy eaters, sit down. Judd first met with her new coach Rob Denmark at a McDonald's.
- Is Heart Rate Training Outdated? Should You Be Using A Power Meter Instead?
- Hard Workouts Suppresse Appetite For The Rest Of The Day (link fixed)
- 6 Weeks Of Plyometrics Improves Your 2,400-Meter Race Time By 3.9%
- On 7% Incline, Your Glutes Have To Work 83% Harder Than Running On The Flat
- Memo To Bloomberg: Salt Isn't Bad For You
- How Pregnancy Changes A Women's Stride For The Worse A woman's pelvis tilts forward and seems to stay there, unless it's corrected. There also is more side-to-side pelvic motion.
Chris Solinsky To Focus On Roads For Rest Of Summer Rather than blow money running times well of his PR in Europe, he's going to stay here and work on improving his fitness/strength and run some big road races like Falmouth. *MB: Discuss
Weekly Recap - The Week That Was
LRC Mary Cain Is A Nerd, US 1,500 Runners Run Fast But Somehow We Get Depressed, Don't
Believe Everything You See On Facebook This week we remind you not to believe everything you see on Facebook, talk about the crazy-fast US 1,500 times from last week but somehow get a
little depressed by it before getting out of our funk to realize Mary Cain is a nerd, discuss some crazy Russian doping news, and praise Bridget Franek for taking a sabbatical at age 25. Plus talk of Alan Webb, Evan Jager, Chris Lear and Lolo Jones.
*LRC Correction On Centro Showing A "Visible Limp" Through The Mixed Zone This is a correction on what we said initially in our Paris recap.
Random, But Interesting
- Australia's Six-Time Winter Paralympic Gold Medallist Michael Milton Has Smashed World Record By 80+ Minutes For A Marathon On Crutches (5:23:30)
- Science Of Sport: Why It's Good To Be Skeptical About Cycling (And We'd Add About Illogical Distance Performances)
Stunning Jump News
- Jonathan Edwards Thinks Phillips Idowu Will Be Out Of Sport Forever
- Phillips Idowu Takes Break For "The Foreseeable Future" *BBC
- Guardian: Phillips Idowu "Takes Break From Athletics" And Could Now Retire
- Guardian: Phillips Idowu Steps Back From Triple-Jump To "Pursue Other Interests"
- Independent: "Invisible Man" Phillips Idowu To Disappear Once More
- Independent: Phillips Idowu Announces He Is To Take A "Step Back From Athletics"
- Athletics Weekly On Idowu
LRC Correction On Centro Showing A "Visible Limp" Through The Mixed Zone This is a correction on what we said initially in our Paris recap. Since that, Alberto Salazar has reported that Centro isn't hurt.
Major Doping In Turkey: "Dozens" Test Positive
- Drug Scandal Rocks Turkey, Which Could Be Thrown Out Of The World Championships As "Dozens" Of Athletes Test Positive In An IAAF Targeted Testing Operation A "senior athletics insider" said, "We're talking about a lot of athletes. It could be as many as 30."
- IAAF Confirms That Turkey Was Targeted For Testing After Several High Profile Athletes, Including Olympic 1,500 Champ Asli Cakir Alptekein, Had Shown Abnormal Blood Profiles There are 18 elite Turkish athletes subject to out-of-competition testing, but the recent raids were focused more on second-tier athletes
outside the elite pool.
- Turkey's Spate Of Drug test Failures May Harm 2020 Olympic Chances
- Other Doping News: Russia's Sports Minister Suggests That British Jealousy Sparked Doping Conspiracy Claims Reported In Daily Mail
*Original Daily Mail Article
- Opinion Piece: A Call For Governments To Fund WADA
Random US News
- Top Americans Headed To Dublin For Next Week's Morton Mile: Will Leer, Ben True, Jordan McNamara, Craig Miller Lead Men Brie Felnagle, Ashley Higginson and Deborah Maier on women's side.
- Mary Cain's Sister Blogs About Her Team USA Gear
- Marathoner At Grandma's Tells The Duluth News Tribune About The View From The Back Of The Pack In The Marathon
US News: We Might Know On Sunday Which 10k Women Go To Moscow
- Date For The Jordan Hasay-Tara Erdmann 10k Qualifying Attempt Up In The Air As Salazar Says It Might Be Too Hot For Optimal Conditions On July 15th July 19th was the backup date for the attempt, but Salazar might look
into holding it on July 14th instead when the long-range forecasts are calling for better conditions.
*OTB: Does USATF not have faith in Jordan Hasay and Tara Erdmann??? Apparently Kara Goucher got a team kit in the mail.
*Hasay Runs Greatest Workout of All Time *Anyone else think this standard attempt is a little pathetic? *Hasay / Erdmann Chase
- Why Were There Only 9 Guys In The USA 5k? FloTrack Looks Into The Issues Behind The USA Men's 5,000 Debacle, Where Only 9 Guys Started The Race And Some Promising Young Collegians Were Left Standing On The Sideline As they say, "It comes down to a lack of concrete precedence, strict rules and a bit of misinformation." We'd add lack of transparency and consistency.
- Matt Elliot Running 1,500 In Belgium Saturday Night & Going For World Champs Standard Leo Manzano and Lopez Lomong both got the "A" in Paris, but if Elliot gets a standard then he'll be the official alternate.
- Galen Rupp In Emsely Carr Mile At London DL
More Results From The Weekend
- Natoya Goule Wins 800 Gold In 2:02.02 At Central American And Caribbean Championships As Jamaica Takes Home 5 Medals On Final Day
*IAAF CAC Recap: Mexico Dominates The Overall Medal Totals
- Clarity & Confusion: With A 2-Week Break In The Diamond League, DailyRelay.com Takes A Look At Where We Are And What We Have Learned So Far
- LSU's Damar Forbes Won The LJ In His Professional Debut At Paris DL In 8.11m Not a bad way to start your pro career, as it was just one day after signing a contract with Nike.
- IAAF Recap: Argentina's German Lauro Wins SP In 20.87m To Highlight Final Day Of South American Championships Colombia's Rafith Rodríguez dominated the 800, winning by almost 2 seconds with 1:46.34.
Other US News
- Random Stat: Which State Has The Most Marathons? California topped the list with 61, followed by Texas at 36 and Washington at 31. North Dakota is last with only 2 marathons. Alaska has the most per capita.
- Ashton Eaton And English Gardner 22 And 25 On Top 25 Most Influential People In Oregon List
- Profile On NCAA Steeplechase 3rd Placer Amber Henry, "Weber State's Diamond In The Rough"
Paris DL Women *Full Results *Event-By-Event Results *Race Video Highlights (US Only) *LRC Paris Photo Gallery *LRC Post-Race Video Interviews
LRC Women's 800: Alysia Montaño Nearly Wins, Kate Grace Joins The Sub-2:00 Club Alysia Montano battled for the
win and left with a season's best and Kate Grace joined the sub 2 club.
*Stanford's Justine Fedronic Breaks Stanford 800 Record With 2:00.97 She got the World Champs "B" standard and is fastest in France right now so has a shot at going to Moscow.
*LRC Interview With Fredonic
LRC Women's 5,000: Tirunesh Dibaba Runs World-Leading 14:23.68 5,000 As Relative Unknown Almaz Ayana Becomes 6th-Fastest Woman Ever Not a good day for Molly Huddle or Amy Hastings but Jackie Areson did PR.
*Reuters: Dibaba Says This Was Her Last Race Before Moscow, Where She Will Double 5k/10k
MB Talk: Montano 1:57.75!, Kate Grace Breaks 2:00, Dibaba 14:23
Non-Paris Weekend Action: American Men 1,500 Runners Get The "A" *Full Memorial Leon Buyle Results
- Memorial Leon Buyle: MB: Mcnamara, Heath, Bayer, Leslie A standard!! 7 Americans 3.35.54 or faster!! American mile record holder Alan Webb was not one of them as the 3:46 miler ran 3:46.53 for 1,500. Tulsa star Chris O'Hare is trying to gain selection for team GB, just missed the "A" here as he ran 3:35.37, but smashed the "B."
*MB: Great Britain 1500 team in Moscow
- Heather Kampf Wins Women's 1,500 In Belgium With Almost 4-Second PR Of 4:08.37 As McGee Just Misses B Cory McGee ran 4:09.85 for 3rd - but just off the 4:09.00 "B" standard.
*Full Results A lot of other Americans in the 1,500s and 800s.
- World University Games Kick Off In Kazan: Japan's Ayuko Suzuki Wins 10,000 In 32:54.17
- IAAF Final Day Recap Of Asian Champoinships: UAE's Betlhem Desalgen Completes 1,500/5,000 Double By Winning 5k In MR She won in 15:12.84.
- IAAF German Nationals Recap: Olympic Silver Medallist Bjorn Otto Wins PV Over Bronze Medallist Reaphael Holzdeppe
*World Champions Robert Harting (Discus) And David Storl (SP) Win German National Titles
- IAAF Recap IAU Trail World Championships: GB Men And French Women Take Team Titles
- IAAF Saturday Recap Of South American Championships
- Turkey Wins Men's And Women's WMRA International Youth Cup Cross-Country Race
Previous Non-Paris Results: Drug Cheat Rashid Ramzi Is Back From Ban
- Drug Cheat Rashid Ramzi DNFs In 1,500 At Asian Champs According to tilastopaja.org, this was his first competition since his 2008 ban when he tested positive after initially winning the Beijing Olympic 1,500. He ran 3:51.63 on Thursday to make the final where he DNFed.
- Victoria International Track Classic: Nate Brannen Wins 1,500 In 3:36.84 Over UO's Trevor Dunbar (3:38.38) And Rob Finnerty (3:38.49) Joe Abbott won the 800 in 1:45.63 as Mac Fleet set a big PR at 1:46.32. Geena Gall was 2nd in the 1,500 (4:09.95). Canada's Melissa Bishop won the 800 in 1:59.76.
*Full Meet Recap
- Yuki Kawauchi (2:10:01) And Yukiko Akaba (2:27:17) Win Gold Cost Marathon In Australia With Course Record Performances (Kawauchi Tied The CR) (updated article) Craig Mottram won the 10k event in 29:38.
- Move Over, Alan Webb: Brian Gagnon 3:42.96 Mile!!! (Downhill)
- South American Championships: Brazil's 2012 World Junior Pole Vault Champion Sets An Area Record With Jump Of 5.83m He came in with a PR of 5.60m and said he wasn't expecting to jump that high so had to borrow someone else's pole for his last couple of heights.
- Jamaica Grabs 3 Gold, 2 Bronze On Day 1 Of Central American And Caribbean Championships
- IAAF Asian Champs Saturday Recap *Friday Recap
- EA Recap Of European Mountain Running Champs: Italy's Bernard Dematteis And Austria's Andrea Mayr Wins Take Individual Titles Italy won the men and women's team competition.
- Athletics Weekly Recap Of English Schools Championships
- Three Gold Medals For Jamaica At Central American and Caribbean
- Some Jamaican Athletes Might Not Have Been Allowed To Compete Because Their Proper Uniforms Hadn't Arrived Yet
US News: Can A US Male Sprinter Win Worlds?
- Alberto Salazar On Jordan Hasay: "The best distance workout of any female athlete I've ever coached." We'd like to know what the workout was.
*Original Twitter Post (link fixed)
- The New Zealand Herald On Bolt Vs. Justin Gatlin: "Defenders of all that is good want charismatic Jamaican to beat former doping cheat." This was an extremely anti-Gatlin article as it takled about the battle between "good" and "evil" and said of Gatlin, "It's hard to believe leopards change their spots but there's always hope."
- RunnersTribe's Len Johnson Asks If This Could Be The Year Tyson Gay Could Take Down Bolt He says no.
- Ken Goe Praises Nick Symmonds For Suggesting Ways To Try To Make Track More Popular Recently Symmonds called for beer and betting at track meets in the US.
- Random But Cool: Man Runs A 6:36 Mile In Death Valley While Dressed As Darth Vader *Event Website
- Track Focus Looks At The Top New Oregon Recruits
2013 AJC Peachtree *Top Results
LRC Matt Tegenkamp (28:25) And Janet Bawcom Brown (32:45) Win US Titles - Mosinet Geremew (28:07) And Lineth Chepkurui (32:09) Overall Titles Ryan Hall was outside the US top 10 in 29:16.
*MB: 2013 Peachtree Road Race
*MB: Ryan Hall leaves coach Renato Canova
*USATF.tv/RSpace Website *Teg Pre-Race Video Interview
Veronica-Campbell Brown Likely To Only Get 6-Month Ban (article behind paywall) The Times of London is reporting Campbell-Brown is likely to only get a 6-month ban.
Excellent Read: Did You Know That In 1968, Up To 300 People Were Massacred 10 Days Before Olympics After Protesting The Costs? Let's hope there isn't a repeat in Brazil 2014/2016. Death totals aren't known for sure from 1968, but it was between 30 and 300 for the Tlatelolco massacre.
- Oregon-Related News Jordan McNamara Runs 3:55.76 Mile In Ireland (G. Heath 3:55.91) ... Will Leer 4:07.21
- Former Georgia Star Aaron Evans To Join Nike OTC Once This Season Is Over He competes internationally for Bermuda and has a 1:46.26 PR.
- 1:51.64 800 Man Alec Smith Turned Down Scholarship Offers To Walk On At Oregon
- College Coaching Carousel Q&A With Former UVA, Wisco, Oregon, And Oklahoma Coach (Now At Iowa State) Martin Smith About Why He's Made Yet Another Move More on Smith from the Oregonian. *Iowa State Press Release On Smith
- USC Assistant John Henry Johnson, Jr. Named UCLA Women's Coach
LRC Week That Was
Week In Review: LRC How To Outkick Mo Farah, Kenenisa Bekele Deserves Better,
Out Mary Cain, LRC's Impact On The George Zimmerman Trial And Our Left-Wing Bias If you think USATF is good at screwing over runners, they've got nothing on the Ethiopian federation; we take a look at the tape and come up with a strategy to outkick Mo Farah, introduce you to Iceland's version of Mary Cain, reveal how LRC message boarders may have helped uncover perjury in the Zimmerman trial, and defend ourselves from being
left-wing political hacks.
The Best Of LRC USAs Prediction Contest Recap: A Petroleum Engineer And Running Lifer Triumphs Our prediction contest winners highlight the best of LetsRun.com and this time is no different. Our $20,103 LRC USAs Contest winner was Jerry Yunker, a true lifer in the sport with a 2:29 marathon best who has been running with the same Sunday group for 28 years in a row. Impressive. Another Canadian tied Jerry atop the contest and our very own JK took home a top prize in the NCAA contest.
Diamond League Birmingham *Birmingham Results *Birmingham Race Video Highlights
*BBC Meet Recap *IAAF Meet Recap
LRC Mo Farah Wins A Thrilling 5,000m Over Alamirew And Gebrhiwet To Show Who Is Boss Track and field does not get much better than this. Packed house - check. Three best in the world battling the final 300m - check. Hometown hero re-emerging as the Worlds favorite - check. Mo Farah blastest a 1:51 final 800m for the win in a great race.
*Farah Says The Three Ethiopians Worked Together And Were Even "Talking Between Each Other" During The Race Talking about future races, he said, "They tried to race me on the last lap today. [Now] they know they don't want to leave it to the last lap. So they'll probably sacrifice someone to go hard somewhere. Even today the three guys were talking between each other."
*The Guardian: Farah Digs Deep To Win DL 5,000
LRC Jessica Judd Breaks 2:00.00 - 18-Year-Old British Phenom Wins 2013 Sainsbury's Grand Prix In 1:59.85 Mary Cain and Ajee' Wilson watch out, the Brits have their own teenage phenom.
*18-Year-Old Judd Says She Was So Nervous Before Birmingham That She Even Thought About Pulling Out "I got really nervous. I felt, 'I don't want to go out there. I don't want to do it.' I was worried because I was thinking that maybe last week [the victory at Euro Team Champs] was just a one-off. But when I set some personal bests in training in the week, I told myself, 'Maybe it's just because I'm running well.'"
LRC The Rest Of The Meet: Aregawi Comes From Behind To Win, Wote Over Iguider, And Chemos And Aman Continue To Roll Abebe Aregawi found herself behind in the women's 1,500 with 200 to go but she got the wind as many of the other big names like Jamal, Uceny, Dobriskey and England struggled. In the men's 1,500, no Brits got the "B" standard but Chris O'Hare was the top British finisher after a compromised trip. Plus men's 800 and women's steeple.
- More: AP Recap: Nigeria's Blessing Okagbare Upstages Favorites Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce And Cermelita Jeter To Win 200; Fraser-Pryce Was 2nd, Jeter Last Nesta Carter won the men's 100 in 9.99. 10.01 17-year-old Japanese sprinter was last in his heat in 10.55 and failed to make the final.
- GB's Rhys Williams Psyched To Finish 2nd In 400 Hurdles Behind Javier Culson; Michael Tinsley Was 3rd, Dai Greene 5th And Felix Sanchez 7th Greene was upset with his race, saying, "It's a bit worrying and disappointing. I'll go back to the drawing board, chat to my coach and speak to the doctors, just to make sure I'm not suffering from a virus."
Mid-Week Action In Ostrava & Sollentuna *Ostrava Results *Sollentuna Results
- Ostrava: Results
- LRC 2013 Ostrava Analysis: Kenenisa Bekele Is Finished As A Threat On The Track, Evan Jager's And Galen Rupp's Medal Chances Go Way Up Galen Rupp and Evan Jager were far from Ostrava but they had to like what they
saw as Kenenisa Bekele was beaten by three guys, including Lawi Lalang.
MB: Kennster is Finished
MB: Bekele is NOT done
- LRC Tirunesh Dibaba Stays Undefeated At 10,000 And Picks Up 30:26.67 Win In Ostrava Many of the key competitors for Shalane Flanagan likely emerged here. Her time was a world
lead for a few hours until Defar crushed it (see below).
Sollentuna Folksam GP: *Results
- LRC Dejen Gebremeskel Gets Win And World-Leading 26:51.02 In His 10,000 Debut On The Track Mo Farah and Galen Rupp now will have to contend with a 12:48 stud in Moscow.
- LRC Meseret Defar Throws Down The Gauntlet To Tirunesh Dibaba And Runs 30:08.06 10,000 Defar is now the world leader by a lot at 5,000 and 10,000. In other action on the track, Ayanleh Suleiman won the 800 in 1:43.63 and Garrett Heath ran 3:36.43 for 4th place in the 1,500.
World Youth Champs, World University Games, Euro Under-23 Champs All This Week *World Youth Results *WY Videos, Tweets, Etc. WUG: *Results/Schedule/Meet Site *E-U23 Live Streaming Info
- World Youth: Day 3 Recap: Jamaicans wins 110h and 400 at Martin Manley runs 2nd fastest Jamaican youth 400 behind Bolt at 45.89
- Australia's Mackenzie Little wins javelin gold
- WYouth Day 3 morning recap
- Kenya's Iveen Chepkemoi looking for Kenya's 5th straight World Youth girls 1500 gold
- Two Kenyan boys make WYouth 800 final
- Zimbabwe's Michael Songore fails to make boys 100 final
- Sabrina Bakare wins World Youth gold for GBR (52.77)
- After settling for silver in 100, USA's 16-year-old Ariana Washington wants gold in 200
- Jamaica's Jaheel Hyde wins 110h in 13.13
- EU23: Adam Gemili wins 100m gold at Euro U23s (10.20)
- Providence's Shane Quinn just missed
medal at Euro's as he was 4th in 29:49 The articles says he PRd
but he didn't. His pbs are 13:48/29:30.
- WUG: 1:03.37 wins half-marathon at WUGs
Previous World Youth, WUG, European U23 News
- World Youth: MB: Ky Westbrook, Daughter Of Former NFL Wide Receiver Michael Westbrook, Wins Gold In Girls 100 At 2013 World Youths (11.33)
- MB: US boys Blank Haney and Grant Fisher spank Africans and win 1500 semis at 2013 World Youths
- Every Single US Athlete Advances To Next Round At World Youths On the backstretch, Fisher "was in 7th place and appeared to be out of contention for advancing to the final."
- Kenyan Boys Hoping To Dominate Boys 3,000 Final At WYouths We imagine they will, as the leading entrant Vedic Cheruiyot has run 7:52 at altitude at age 17.
- Kenyan Boys Expected To Dominate 2,000 Steeple As Conseslus Kipruto Did 2 Years Ago
- Jamacia's Yanique Thompson Is 1st Youth Under 13.00 In Girls Hurdles (19.94), USA's Dior Hall Sets US Record (13.01) In 2nd
*Profile Of Yanique Thompson
- Britain's Ojie Edoburun Edged For 100m Gold By China's Mo Youxue As Both Run 10.35
- E-U23 After 59.36 Last Lap, Spain's Gabriel Navarro Wins E-U23 Gold In 29:43 The 20-year-old has PRs of 13:57/29:28, so basically he wouldn't score at NCAAs.
- World Youth: Day 2: Anita Hinriksdottir (Iceland's Mary Cain) Dominates 800 Heats, Looking For Iceland's 1st Medal We recently introduced you to Hinriksdottir in the WTW here.
*MB Discussion Of Hinriksdottir From March *MB Discussion Of Teen 800 Phenoms From June
- 3 Gold Medal Favorites Show Their Age By Bombing Out Of 110H, 400H, Hammer
- Day 1 World Youth Recaps: Lilian Rengeruk Of Kenya Wins Girls 3,000 In 8:58
- Kenya Youths Hoping To Dominate Distances, Led By Africa Youth 800m And 1,500m Champion Robert Kiptoo Biwott
- US Athletes Do Well On Day 1 Of World Youths
- Patrick Muller, Son Of 1987 WC Bronze Medallist, Wins SP Gold At 22.02 - 1st Gold Of Champs
- MB: Jackson State's Anaso Jobodwana has impressive sprint double (10.06/20.00w) at 2013 WUGs
- Japan's Ryota Yamagata (10.21) Is Third Japanese Man To Win Medal In 100m At WUG
- Silver And Bronze For Jamaica At World University Games
- Day 1 Morning Recap: Adam Gemili Leads Sprint Qualifiers
- Europe's Leading U23s Ready For Action
- European U23s Are Adam Gemili's Main Goal For Year
- Preview Of The Women's Events For European U-23s
- In Only 2nd Year As A Hurdler, 400m Hurdler Seb Rodger Is GB Medal Hope For European U-23 Championships, Which Start Thursday
- Most Countries Ever (45) At European U-23 Championships
*IAAF: Russian LJer Darya Klishina's Victory Highlights Day 2 Of WUG US's Aurieyall Scott won the 100 in 11.28.
*NZ's Angie Smit Gets World Champs "B" Standard In The 800, Finishing 4th At WUG In 2:00.03 The race was won by Kazakhstan's Margarita Mukasheva in a new NR of 1:58.96. Oklahoma State's Natalja Pilisina was last in the final with 2:04.62.
*Oklahoma State's 1,500 NCAA Champion Natalja Piliusina Breaks Her Own School Record In 800 She ran 2:01.59, breaking her own school record and making it into today's final.
*SA's Stephen Mokoka Wins 10k Anaso Jobodwana won the 100 for SA in 10.10, missing the NR by just .04.
World Youth (Starts Wed.): *Schedule *Meet Site *Final Entries *Facebook Page
*A Look At Top Medal Contenders For Team USA
*DyeStat Girls Distance Preview
*IAAF Boys Preview: Kenya's 17-Year-Old Robert Biwott Favorite In The 1,500 With A 3:38 PR
*IAAF Girls Preview: Iceland's 800m Rising Anita Hinriksdottir Clear Favorite In The 800 With A 2:00.49 PR Read more about Hinriksdottir in last week's Week That Was.
*Ato Boldon Gives Some Great Advice To Youth Athletes At World Youth Champs We like that he spoke out against doping. Teach them young and maybe it'll stick.
*Ready For Gold: Kenyan Youths Hunt First Medals In Ukraine Wednesday
*Jamaica's Newest Sprint Star Michael O'Hara Hoping To Become Only The Second Boy To Win The 100/200 Double At World Youth Camps
*Jamaica's O'Hara Aims To Satisfy Parents
*Jamaica Gleaner: Jamaica Youth Ready To Challenge World
*AW's Eight To Watch At The IAAF World Youth Championships
*Boy's Press Conference Highlights
*Girl's Press Conference Highlights
*IAAF President Lamine Diack And Vice President Sergey Bubka Speak At Press Conference
*IAAF Inside Athletics: Ato Boldon Is With Christian Taylor And Jav Thrower Andreas Thorkildsen At Nestlé/IAAF Kids' Athletics Event
*Spikes-Mag: 5 Former World Youth Champs Who Went On To Have Huge Senior Success Usain Bolt tops the list.
*IAAF Profile On US Sprinter Ariana Washington, Who Will Run The First Round Of The 100 On Wednsday She is the fastest girl in the world this year over 200m at 23.18 and has a wind-aided 100m in 11.18 to her name.
*DyeStat Girls Sprints/Hurdles Preview
*Profile On Russia's 16-Year-Old LJer Anatoliy Ryapolov, Who Set Their Boy's National Record At 7.90 And Is A Medal Contender Anatoliy is a dedicated kid as he had the discipline to pass up a chance to meet his hero, Mike Powell, in Moscow, but didn't go because the travel would have negatively affected his training for their national trials.
*Odane Bernard Is A Surprise Qualifier For The Jamaican World Youth Team In The 100 And 200
U23 (Starts Thursday): *Live Streaming Info
*10.05 Brit Adam Gemili Is A Student Of The Sport And Says He's Determined Not To Get Ahead Of Himself At 19 Years Old "Breaking ten seconds is one of my aims for 2013 but if I don't achieve it I won't be too upset."
*EA Men's Preview: GB Sprinter Adam Gemili Highlights Fields
*EA Women's Preview: GB's Jodie Williams Faces Netherlands Dafne Schippers, Who's The Top Seed With 11.09 And 22.84 This Year
Next Weekend: Final Entries Confirmed For Rieti 2013 European Athletics Junior Championships
Leo 3:33.14 For The "A" (More Men's 1,500m Interviews Here, Rest Of Meet Here)
Russian Athletics Coach Slams Doping Claims Made By London Daily Mail Which Hinted At Conspiracy
*Conspiracy Theory? London's Daily Mail Alleging Doping Conspiracy In Russia Where Athletes Are "Ordered To Dope" By Coaches And Testing Labs Are Paid To Cover It Up The report claims that an "anonymous" Russian sport official said, "Russians are still taking anabolics that were developed in the GDR in the 1970s. Every sportsman takes doping at the early stages as they are not tested until they become grown-ups."
Lausanne Diamond League Photo Gallery (Updated Final Gallery!)
Sad: Kenyan Athlete Shot Dead By Police In Eldoret Raid He was missing for a month before his family found him in the hospital morgue. Witnesses said the athlete was cooperating with police and unarmed when he was shot.
*Mick Byrne To Be Named Wisconsin Men's Head Track Coach Byrne already coaches the cross-country team, but will take over for retiring Ed Nuttycombe as the track coach.
*Oregon's Trevor Dunbar Will Go For A Sub-4:00 Mile At Portland Twilight Meet On July 15th To Become The First Alaskan To Break 4 He just ran a 3:38.38 1,500 in Canada, which is equivalent to around a 3:55-56.
IAAF Profile On Ukraine HJer Bohdan Bondarenko, Who Came Out Of Nowhere To Clear 2.41m, The Best Jump Since 1994 He actually got close at the WR at 2.46m, too. When asked why he didn't get it, he joked, "My manager told me how much I would get if I jumped 2.41m, so I did it. But he didn't tell me if I'd get anything for breaking the world record!"
Kenyan News: Rudisha Still Injured
- David Rudisha Still Recovering From Knee Injury And Will Miss Kenyan World Champs Trials He will still be chosen for the team though as he has a automatic entry as the defending champion.
- They Have Scholarships In Kenya, Too: Steepler Conseslus Kipruto Lands Eldoret University Scholarship
- Pre-Race Interview With Usain Bolt Ahead Of Paris DL 200 The interviewer asked for Bolt's thoughts on VCB and then came straight out and asked Bolt if he was clean himself. Bolt responded, "I'm clean. I always have been. I don't mind being tested any time at all, as often as is needed ... except at 6 o'clock in the morning!" Bolt also said he's heard news on Yohan Blake's injury status, but didn't share.
Weekly Recap (Week That Was) - A Look Back At 2013 USA Action
Women: LRC The USAs That Were: Mary Cain, Jordan Hasay, Brianna Rollins And Treniere Moser Impress We take a look back at the women's action
at USAs. From the two teen phenoms to the incredible Jenny Simpson, who might have been able to win 4 events at USAs, we are full of praise but leave the most for Brianna Rollins.
Men: LRC The USAs That Were: Brandon Johnson, Leo Manzano And Tyson Gay Impress, Robby Andrews Disappoints, Nick Symmonds Runs Fast But Loses, And A US Medal In Every Distance Event? We tell you who had the biggest breakthrough in the short term and long term, on the track and in the field, we worry about Robby Andrews, praise Nick Symmonds and rave about the fact that the US men could medal in every mid-d/distance event in Moscow.
Think The Sub-2-Hour Marathon Is On The Horizon? Think Again
LRC The Myth Of The Sub-2-Hour Marathon The mainstream media thinks it may be close but in reality most people reading this will be dead when it happens.
*Science of Sport's Ross Tucker agrees: Pacing, fatigue and the brain. Lessons from London.
*MB: Sub 2 Hour Marathon Discussion: My Thoughts and Yours