Paris DL Is Saturday (2-4PM ET) *Schedule, Entries, Television Broadcast And Streaming Information
- The Latest From Paris: LRC Genzebe Dibaba Out Of 5k, Is Bekele Out Of Worlds As Well? A Frenchman The Favorite In The Steeple?, English Gardner More Pampered At Oregon Than As A Pro, SAFP Rags To Riches, High Jump Mania We've got Friday's press events covered with our analysis and insights and video
from everyone above. *IAAF
*IAAF Full Meet Preview
LRC Men's Preview: Bernard, Lawi, Leo, Centro And Lopez Look To Run Fast In 1,500 - History In Men's Steeple? A stacked 1,500 and perhaps the first non-African sub-8:00 in the steeple are must-watch events here.
- LRC Women's Preview: The Dibaba Sisters Battle For The First Time In 4 Years; Alysia Montaño Takes On Francine
Niyonsaba The women's 5,000 will feature a Dibaba sister
clash for the first time in 4+ years. Americans Molly Huddle, Amy Hastings, Ajee' Wilson and Kate Grace all are competing in Paris as well.
- More: Usain Bolt Admits He Is Not Invincible, But Says When He's At The Top Of His Game He Doesn't Think Anyone Can Beat Him
- AP Preview: Bolt: "I'm really trying to get back on target. ... I'm feeling great in training, I'm running pretty well. I have a few more weeks to go."
- LJer SA's Khotso Mokoena Gaining Momentum Going Into Paris DL Faces good field in Olympic champ Greg Rutherford and past champ Dwight Phillips.
A Fantastic 2013 Athletissima Lausanne Is In The Books *Results *LRC Lausanne Photos *Video Highlights (USA Visitors Only) *LRC Post-Race Video Interviews
*IAAF Recap *AP
Recap *LRC Lausanne Flash Photos *Race Video Highlights (US only)
LRC Six Non-Distance Takeaways: Tyson Gay The Pro, Bohdan Bondarenko!!!, Lolo Jones Gets A Date And Goes Bobsledding, Kimberlyn Duncan The Rookie, David Oliver's Coming Back, Lauryn Williams Still Running LRC's insights from the non-distance action in Lausanne, including a look at the incredible week of Bohdan Bondarenko. Plus, the latest from LetsLolo.com.
Related: Lolo Jones Goes To The Bobsled And Accepts Her Twitter Date: Who Will Pay And Is He "Legal"? Her date had better pay. He asked her out. And the "legal" comment was Lolo's, not ours.
LRC 5,000: Yenew Alamirew Will Outkick You If Your Name Isn't Mo Farah Alamirew let up at the end and still ran a 24.1 last 200. Ridiculous. Afterwards, we caught up with Tariku Bekele, who has no idea if his brother Kenenisa is going to Worlds. We also spoke with Diego Estrada, who is now coached by Joe Vigil.
LRC Mo Aman Impresses In 800m In His Final Race Before Worlds Mo Aman won his 3rd 800m of the week with the world's 2nd fastest time and then he called it a season until Worlds. Smart move. Brandon Johnson was not a factor in his first DL race in 5th, and 19-year-old Nijel Amos faded in his first 800 of the year. *Brandon Johnson Interview
LRC 1,500m: Abeba Aregawi Remains Dominant And Americans Continue To Struggle Abeba Aregawi blew away the field in the final 200m again and the American women who used to be the #1 in the world at this continued to struggle. Shannon Rowbury was 5th and Morgan Uceny faded to last. *Shannon Rowbury Talks About Adding More Endurance Training To Get Ready For 5,000m
LRC Steeple: Ayalew Somehow Edges Assefa, No More Steeples For Higginson Until Worlds? Shalaya Kipp fans might want to get a little nervous as this might be Higginson's last steeple before Worlds. *Higginson May Not Steeple Until Worlds
Other Action: *Ukraine's Bohdan Bondarenko Clears 2.41m (Best Jump Since 1994), Comes Close To WR At 2.46m
*Bondarhenko: "I can't explain my progression, it's simply great for me."
*Tyson Gay (9.79) Gives Usain Bolt World Championships Warning In Lausanne Telegraph
*Sally Pearson (12.69) Has Worst Performance In 3 Years
*Results: Gay 9.79 Over Powell, Bondarenko Attempts 8 Feet In HJ, Aman Gets Faster, Alamirew Keeps Kicking, Aregawi Wins
- Lausanne Discussion: MB: Wow: Alamirew 24.1 last 200 to win 2013 Lausanne 5000!!
- Gay 9.79, Powell 9.88!
- Bondarenko going for WR!!!!
- T-Gay doesn't high-five the giant squirrel; where's the outrage??
- Kim Collins and Bernard Lagat are incredible!!!
- AMAN 1:43.33
- Ethiopians will field a strong 5000 team in moscow but they will not beat Mo Farah
More Lausanne LRC Felix Sanchez
Is Was A Nervous Distance Runner Just Like You, What If Bolt And Gay Raced Each Other
The High Hurdlers? How
Many Montshos Are There In The World? And Jeter Still Bringing It To celebrate the 4th of July, we got carried away and have two non-distance articles from Lausanne. We delve into the 100 vs. 110 hurdles, Gay vs. Bolt, unsponsored 32-year-old Ryan Wilson making his first Worlds team and more. Give it a read and tell your family you need to watch track from 2-4pm on the 4th.
Press Conference: LRC Tyson Gay Talks About Usain Bolt, Being Healthy, And Jon Drummond's Absence As He Begins His 2013 European Campaign On July 4th
America's best is looking for a big performance on his nation's birthday as he is healthy for the first time since 2007 and dreaming of beating Usain Bolt, whom he hopes is at his best in Moscow. Gay also reveals he no longer is working with Jon Drummond.
*IAAF Press Conference Highlights Quotes from Lavillenie, Pearson, R. Wilson, Sanchez, Culson, Duncan, Gay and Jeter.
Duane Solomon #2 All-Time 600 At Harry Jerome Classic In Canada *Results
LRC Analysis Duane Solomon Runs 1:13.28 600, 2nd Fastest In The World All-Time Solomon's coach and US 800m record holder Johnny Gray has the record at 1:12.81. We tell you what it's equal to for 800 (probably not as fast as you think) and remind you not to forget Kenya's John Kipkurgat, who once split 1:13.2 in an 800 race way back in 1974. Cas Loxsom was 2nd here in 1:14.84.
International News: Coe Says It's OK To Have A Couple Of Beers If You Run 100 Miles/Week
- Seb Coe Q&A With Esquire "When you're running a hundred miles a week, a couple of beers after a day's training isn't a problem. I think we've got rather obsessed with diet."
- Good NY Times Tribute Article To 1956 Olympic Marathon Champion Alain Mimoun Include quotes from Mimoun about his interactions with Emil Zatopek.
- South African Athletes Will Now Be Able To Compete At The World University Games As University Sports South Africa (USSA) Have Pulled Out Of South African Sports Confederation And Olympic Comittee (SASCOC) SASCOC refused to send a track and field team because they have suspended Athletics South Africa, so USSA just pulled out of SASCOC.
2 Reviews & 1 Book Excerpt From John McDonnell: The Most Successful NCAA Coach In History
LRC Book Review By Former Hog Marlon Boykins: "Two
book is full of insight into the hard-working, team-first ethos that
made us such a successful." We had two people review the book, including the 1:47 man Boykins, who was at Arkansas at the pinnacle of its heyday. "It was a self-contained UBER-COMPETITIVE atmosphere ... the sprinters, jumpers and distance guys all trying to show which group reigned supreme ..."
Book Excerpt The Legendary Story Of The 1989 Penn Relays DMR, Where 4 Kids From Arkansas, Texas And Missouri Beat 4 African Olympians And The Olympic 1,500m Champ The 1989 Mount St. Mary's Penn Relays DMR team featured 4 African Olympians, including 1988 Olympic 1,500m champ Peter Rono. John McDonnell's Arkansas squad featured 4 kids from Texas, Missouri and Arkansas. A legendary motivational speech by McDonnell and Joe Falcon on the anchor made for one of the great upsets in Penn Relays history. Read all about it in this excerpt from the new John McDonnell biography.
LRC Review #2 John McDonnell D2 Coach Torrey Olson We had Olson, who has an MFA in creative writing, give his take. "It's got a lot to offer anyone interested in an incredibly sustained passion for the both the sport and the profession."
Non-Paris Weekend Action: Drug Cheat Rashid Ramzi Is Back From Ban
- Drug Cheat Rashid Ramzi DNFs In 1,500 At Asian Champs According to tilastopaja.org, this was his first competition since his 2008 ban when he tested positive after initially winning the Beijing Olympic 1,500. He ran 3:51.63 on Thursday to make the final where he DNFed.
- Victoria International Track Classic: Nate Brannen Wins 1,500 In 3:36.84 Over UO's Trevor Dunbar (3:38.38) And Rob Finnerty (3:38.49) Joe Abbott won the 800 in 1:45.63 as Mac Fleet set a big PR at 1:46.32. Geena Gall was 2nd in the 1,500 (4:09.95). Canada's Melissa Bishop won the 800 in 1:59.76.
- Move Over, Alan Webb: Brian Gagnon 3:42.96 Mile!!! (Downhill)
- Gold Coast Airport Marathon Preview: London Marathon 3rd-placer Yukiko Akaba Leads Women's Field Jairus Chanchima (2:07:43), Girmay Birhanu Gebru (2:08:11) and Yuki Kawauchi (2:08:14) lead men's field.
JapanRunningNews: Kawauchi Wants Course Record Also, there is a 10k ran alongside the marathon, which Craig Mottram is in.
- Three Gold Medals For Jamaica At Central American and Caribbean
- Some Jamaican Athletes Might Not Have Been Allowed To Compete Because Their Proper Uniforms Hadn't Arrived Yet
- IAU Trail World Champs This Weekend In Wales
- EA Preview Of Today's European Mountain Running Championships
US News: Can A US Male Sprinter Win Worlds?
- Alberto Salazar On Jordan Hasay: "The best distance workout of any female athlete I've ever coached." We'd like to know what the workout was.
*Original Twitter Post (link fixed)
- The New Zealand Herald On Bolt Vs. Justin Gatlin: "Defenders of all that is good want charismatic Jamaican to beat former doping cheat." This was an extremely anti-Gatlin article as it takled about the battle between "good" and "evil" and said of Gatlin, "It's hard to believe leopards change their spots but there's always hope."
- RunnersTribe's Len Johnson Asks If This Could Be The Year Tyson Gay Could Take Down Bolt He says no.
- Ken Goe Praises Nick Symmonds For Suggesting Ways To Try To Make Track More Popular Recently Symmonds called for beer and betting at track meets in the US.
- Random But Cool: Man Runs A 6:36 Mile In Death Valley While Dressed As Darth Vader *Event Website
- Track Focus Looks At The Top New Oregon Recruits
2013 AJC Peachtree *Top Results
LRC Matt Tegenkamp (28:25) And Janet Bawcom Brown (32:45) Win US Titles - Mosinet Geremew (28:07) And Lineth Chepkurui (32:09) Overall Titles Ryan Hall was outside the US top 10 in 29:16.
*MB: 2013 Peachtree Road Race
*MB: Ryan Hall leaves coach Renato Canova
*USATF.tv/RSpace Website *Teg Pre-Race Video Interview
Veronica-Campbell Brown Likely To Only Get 6-Month Ban (article behind paywall) The Times of London is reporting Campbell-Brown is likely to only get a 6-month ban.
Excellent Read: Did You Know That In 1968, Up To 300 People Were Massacred 10 Days Before Olympics After Protesting The Costs? Let's hope there isn't a repeat in Brazil 2014/2016. Death totals aren't known for sure from 1968, but it was between 30 and 300 for the Tlatelolco massacre.
- Oregon-Related News Jordan McNamara Runs 3:55.76 Mile In Ireland (G. Heath 3:55.91) ... Will Leer 4:07.21
- Former Georgia Star Aaron Evans To Join Nike OTC Once This Season Is Over He competes internationally for Bermuda and has a 1:46.26 PR.
- 1:51.64 800 Man Alec Smith Turned Down Scholarship Offers To Walk On At Oregon
- College Coaching Carousel Q&A With Former UVA, Wisco, Oregon, And Oklahoma Coach (Now At Iowa State) Martin Smith About Why He's Made Yet Another Move More on Smith from the Oregonian. *Iowa State Press Release On Smith
- USC Assistant John Henry Johnson, Jr. Named UCLA Women's Coach
LRC Week That Was
Week In Review: LRC How To Outkick Mo Farah, Kenenisa Bekele Deserves Better,
Out Mary Cain, LRC's Impact On The George Zimmerman Trial And Our Left-Wing Bias If you think USATF is good at screwing over runners, they've got nothing on the Ethiopian federation; we take a look at the tape and come up with a strategy to outkick Mo Farah, introduce you to Iceland's version of Mary Cain, reveal how LRC message boarders may have helped uncover perjury in the Zimmerman trial, and defend ourselves from being
left-wing political hacks.
The Best Of LRC USAs Prediction Contest Recap: A Petroleum Engineer And Running Lifer Triumphs Our prediction contest winners highlight the best of LetsRun.com and this time is no different. Our $20,103 LRC USAs Contest winner was Jerry Yunker, a true lifer in the sport with a 2:29 marathon best who has been running with the same Sunday group for 28 years in a row. Impressive. Another Canadian tied Jerry atop the contest and our very own JK took home a top prize in the NCAA contest.
Diamond League Birmingham *Birmingham Results *Birmingham Race Video Highlights
*BBC Meet Recap *IAAF Meet Recap
LRC Mo Farah Wins A Thrilling 5,000m Over Alamirew And Gebrhiwet To Show Who Is Boss Track and field does not get much better than this. Packed house - check. Three best in the world battling the final 300m - check. Hometown hero re-emerging as the Worlds favorite - check. Mo Farah blastest a 1:51 final 800m for the win in a great race.
*Farah Says The Three Ethiopians Worked Together And Were Even "Talking Between Each Other" During The Race Talking about future races, he said, "They tried to race me on the last lap today. [Now] they know they don't want to leave it to the last lap. So they'll probably sacrifice someone to go hard somewhere. Even today the three guys were talking between each other."
*The Guardian: Farah Digs Deep To Win DL 5,000
LRC Jessica Judd Breaks 2:00.00 - 18-Year-Old British Phenom Wins 2013 Sainsbury's Grand Prix In 1:59.85 Mary Cain and Ajee' Wilson watch out, the Brits have their own teenage phenom.
*18-Year-Old Judd Says She Was So Nervous Before Birmingham That She Even Thought About Pulling Out "I got really nervous. I felt, 'I don't want to go out there. I don't want to do it.' I was worried because I was thinking that maybe last week [the victory at Euro Team Champs] was just a one-off. But when I set some personal bests in training in the week, I told myself, 'Maybe it's just because I'm running well.'"
LRC The Rest Of The Meet: Aregawi Comes From Behind To Win, Wote Over Iguider, And Chemos And Aman Continue To Roll Abebe Aregawi found herself behind in the women's 1,500 with 200 to go but she got the wind as many of the other big names like Jamal, Uceny, Dobriskey and England struggled. In the men's 1,500, no Brits got the "B" standard but Chris O'Hare was the top British finisher after a compromised trip. Plus men's 800 and women's steeple.
- More: AP Recap: Nigeria's Blessing Okagbare Upstages Favorites Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce And Cermelita Jeter To Win 200; Fraser-Pryce Was 2nd, Jeter Last Nesta Carter won the men's 100 in 9.99. 10.01 17-year-old Japanese sprinter was last in his heat in 10.55 and failed to make the final.
- GB's Rhys Williams Psyched To Finish 2nd In 400 Hurdles Behind Javier Culson; Michael Tinsley Was 3rd, Dai Greene 5th And Felix Sanchez 7th Greene was upset with his race, saying, "It's a bit worrying and disappointing. I'll go back to the drawing board, chat to my coach and speak to the doctors, just to make sure I'm not suffering from a virus."
Mid-Week Action In Ostrava & Sollentuna *Ostrava Results *Sollentuna Results
- Ostrava: Results
- LRC 2013 Ostrava Analysis: Kenenisa Bekele Is Finished As A Threat On The Track, Evan Jager's And Galen Rupp's Medal Chances Go Way Up Galen Rupp and Evan Jager were far from Ostrava but they had to like what they
saw as Kenenisa Bekele was beaten by three guys, including Lawi Lalang.
MB: Kennster is Finished
MB: Bekele is NOT done
- LRC Tirunesh Dibaba Stays Undefeated At 10,000 And Picks Up 30:26.67 Win In Ostrava Many of the key competitors for Shalane Flanagan likely emerged here. Her time was a world
lead for a few hours until Defar crushed it (see below).
Sollentuna Folksam GP: *Results
- LRC Dejen Gebremeskel Gets Win And World-Leading 26:51.02 In His 10,000 Debut On The Track Mo Farah and Galen Rupp now will have to contend with a 12:48 stud in Moscow.
- LRC Meseret Defar Throws Down The Gauntlet To Tirunesh Dibaba And Runs 30:08.06 10,000 Defar is now the world leader by a lot at 5,000 and 10,000. In other action on the track, Ayanleh Suleiman won the 800 in 1:43.63 and Garrett Heath ran 3:36.43 for 4th place in the 1,500.
IAAF Profile On Ukraine HJer Bohdan Bondarenko, Who Came Out Of Nowhere To Clear 2.41m, The Best Jump Since 1994 He actually got close at the WR at 2.46m, too. When asked why he didn't get it, he joked, "My manager told me how much I would get if I jumped 2.41m, so I did it. But he didn't tell me if I'd get anything for breaking the World record!"
Kenyan News: Rudisha Still Injured
- David Rudisha Still Recovering From Knee Injury And Will Miss Kenyan World Champs Trials He will still be chosen for the team though as he has a automatic entry as the defending champion.
- They Have Scholarships In Kenya, Too: Steepler Conseslus Kipruto Lands Eldoret University Scholarship