Operacion Puerto/Comrades Marathon Doping News *Sign Petition To Not Have Evidence Destroyed
- Paula Radcliffe Speaks Out Against Spanish Court's Decision To Destroy Evidence Seized In Police Raids In Operacion Puerto Doping Scandal "It is very frustrating when globally the momentum is moving towards supporting anti-doping in a very positive direction with the actions of Usada and the recent clean-up in cycling ... The Spanish haven't used the opportunity they had to make sport a lot cleaner and to improve their reputation."
- British Tennis Star Andy Murray Calls Operacion Puerto "Biggets Cover Up In Sports History" On Twitter
- RRW: 2012 Comrades Winner Ludwick Mambolo Cleared Of Doping Charges On A Technicality Both Mamabolo’s “A” and “B” samples showed the presence of the illegal drug, but according to his lawyer “there was a system failure in the Comrades doping process”.
- Inquiry Committee Into Mamabolo Testing Process Says It Was Chaotic And Had Several Occasions Where His Samples Could Have Been Contaminated Things including involvement of under-qualified officials, mishandling of samples, and contradictions between documents signed by officials on race day and evidence that was given.
- Mamabolo: "I am delighted that I now have my good name and livelihood back."
The Inspiration That Leads To A Champion Race Walker: SA/African Champ Lebogang Shange: “When I saw [race walking on TV] I thought it would be much easier than running, so I decided to become a race walker."
- One Of UK's Leading Distance Coaches Steve Benson Gets 16-Years In Jail After Being Found Guilty Of Sexual Assaults & Rapes On Teenage Athletes
- This Will Help Track Become More Popular (Not): Texas High School Relay Team DQ'd At State-Meet Qualifier When The Anchor Celebrated By Pointing To The Sky In A Gesture Of Faith Officials said it violated a rule about "excessive celebration".
- Not Blisters! 4 Indiana HS Track Coaches Suspended For Forcing Their Athletes To Do "Bear Crawls" On The Track For Missing Practice Apparently some students got blisters on their hands from the drill in which people walk on their hands and feet.
- AK Polls Finally Get Going: Former Athletes Lose Out To Teachers In Athletics Kenya County Elections Athletes that lost include World 3,000m indoor and outdoor record holder Daniel Komen and Barcelona Olympic steeplechase champion Mathew Birir.
- Rio Olympic Stadium Facing More Problems As People Are Protesting To Have The Name Changed From Estadio Olimpico Joao Havelange Protesters want it changed because Joao Havelange, a former FIFA president, took bribes for World Cup contracts.
Just How Unhealthy Is America?
- Study Finds Only One-Third of Americans Meet Activity Recommendations Colorado and Utah were among the most active states while least active states included Oklahoma, Mississippi, Kentucky and Ohio.
- Study Says Americans Get 13% of Calories From Added Sugar Most recent federal dietary guidelines recommended that solid fats and added sugar constitute no more than 5% to 15% of total calories.
US Pros In The News
- Tyson Gay Says His Best Years May Lie Ahead Of Him Talking about training he says he feels strong and, "I've slowed things down. I've slowed my pace down in training, so I can try to finish all the work rather than run one rep really hard and not complete the set."
- Good Gary Cohen Interview With Jason Hartmann, Who Talks About The 2012 & 2013 Boston Marathons As Well As His Full Pro, College And HS Career Good news is he isn't done as he talks about breaking his 2:11:06 PR and maybe running NYC.
- Erick Sowinski's High School Coach: "He was splitting under 48 in high school. Speed-wise, he's got the speed to run 1:42; the only thing that's been lacking is his aerobic and that's getting better all the time."
- Down The Back Stretch Interview With Jamie Cheever After Her Huge Steeple PR At Payton Jordan "This race has changed my goals. Before the race, making a Worlds team was a goal for another year, but I now think I should be focusing on getting to Moscow."
- Olympic And world TJ Champ Christian Taylor Says He's Stronger For Having Made The Move To The UK To Continue To Be Coached By Rana Reider He says that he thinks he's capable of breaking Jonathan Edwards' almost 18-year-old WR.
- Queen Harrison Named USATF Athlete Of The Week For Her Win Over All 3 US Olympians In Drake 100 Hurdles She won in a world-leading 12.71.
- Russia's European 800 Champion Yelena Arzhakova Gets A 2-Year Ban
*UK's Lynsey Sharp Promoted To European 800 Gold After Arzhakova's Ban Sharp: "It makes me sick that I was denied the opportunity to do a lap of honour and stand on the top of the podium with my national anthem playing."
- Russia's Olympic Discus Silver Medallist Darya Pishchalnikova Gets 10-Year Ban After Failing Drug Test For Second Time She was previously banned from July 2008 to April 2011 and then sample taken from May 2012 came back positive. So she was back for a year before being caught doping again. Why 10 years and not life?
- Austrian Distance Runner Susanne Pumper Gets 8-Year Ban For Second EPO Doping Offence And Will Be Stripped Of All Results Since 2008 Again, why no lifetime ban?
- WADA Officials Appealing Against Spanish Court's Ruling That Calls For All Evidence In Operacion Puerto Doping Scandal Case To Be Destroyed
- Comrades Marathon Champion Ludwick Mamabolo Has Been Cleared Of Doping Charges 10 Months After Testing Positive For Methylhexaneamine
Asafa Powell Is Approaching His Season Much More Cautiously Now And Will Only Do 2 Races Before The Jamaican National Trials He talks about all the extra things he's added this year in an attempt to stay healthy.
Very Random News
- SA's Olympic Silver Medalist khotso Mokena Long Jumps Over Crocodiles Mokena: "This was something I've wanted to do for a very long time. It was about testing myself, my mental strength and overcoming the fear ... I think I'm half-man, half-croc."
- UK Olympic Discus Thrower Lawrence Okoye On Joining The 49ers: "I don't want to look back in 50 years time and say, 'I could have done that ... If I fail, I fail, but I won't look back with regrets."
- Greeks Stop Doha, Qatar From Covering Up Ancient Nude Statues In An Olympic Art Exhibit
- Japanese High School Head Coach Disciplined For Use of Corporal Punishment Retires "For Personal Reasons"
- Need A Job? The IAAF Seeking Senior Manager Of Education
More From Penn/Drake/Payton Jordan
- Payton Jordan: LRC: Women's Results/Analysis
LRC: Men's Results/Analysis
- IAAF Payton Jordan Race Recaps
- Diego Estrada And Betsy Saina Are USTFCCCA DI Athletes Of The Week For Their Payton Jordan Performances Estrada ran 13:15.33, which is the second fastest by a collegian outdoors, only behind Henry Rono's 13:08.4 from 1978. Saina ran 31:37.22, winning by 7 seconds with the No. 3 all-time collegiate mark.
- NAU Head Coach Eric Heins On Estrada's 13:15: "I think Diego took a big step forward tonight in establishing himself as a world-class runner."
- Emma Coburn On Just Holding Off Jamie Cheever: "In the steeple, if you are tired, you are tired. There isn't another gear you can change to with the barriers." Coburn won 9:28.26 to Cheever's 9:29.13.
- Britain's Olympic Triathlon Champion Alistair Brownlee Is Trying To Qualify For Selection To The UK Team For 2014 Commonwealth Games He ran 28:32.48, which puts him 22 seconds outside England Athletics' B qualifying standard.
- Good: Regina Jacobs's Stanford Frosh 800 Record Broken Amy Weissenbach won the 800 in 2:04.24 and also put herself #2 all-time at Stanford.
- Drake: AJ Acosta Still Sponsor-Less And Having A Rough Start To 2013 With A 4:11 (Kansas), 4:06 (Drake Road), And 4:05 (Drake Track) In His First Three Races He'll race again this weekend at the ReRun San Diego meet with a loaded mile field that includes David Torrence, Ryan Gregson, Donn Cabral, Cam Levins, Zane Robertson and
*MB: AJ Acosta Has 700 Miles On His Current Shoes Because No One Will Give Him Free New Ones
- Penn: Jamaica's Jevon Francis Named The Penn Relays HS Boy Athlete Of The Meet For Relay Events After He Anchored Calabar's 4 X 4 With A 44.9 To Win
2013 Drake Relays *Results *Friday's Complete Results *Saturday Drake Photos
Saturday: Queen Harrison Upsets Dawn Harper, Kellie Wells And Lolo To Take Home $25k, Nick Willis Wins Mile AP Zusana Hejnova won the 400m
hurdles with a world leader, Reese
had a world leader and Nick Willis won the mile by
over 3 seconds, plus Bjorn Otto won the stacked pole vault. *IAAF Recap
*Lolo Jones Says She's Ready For "Twitter Attacks" After Her 4th Place Finish At Drake "I can take away some positives, but I feel like people will automatically attack me and turn it into something negative."
*After Finishing 4th, Hometown Hero Lolo Jones May Skip Future Drake Relays For "Sanity's Sake"
*Father To Be (And 30-Year-Old) Nick Willis To Run Shanghai, Pre And NY But Not Run In Europe Before Worlds
*HS: Josh Evans Runs 4:10.86 1,600 For Iowa State Record
On The Boards: Nick Willis Dominates Drake: 3:55.7 Pumps Up Crowd!
Friday: LRC Wow: Jenny Simpson Impresses With Drake Relays Record And World Lead In 1,500 They say the sequel rarely lives up to the original. Well, that wasn't true Friday night in Des Moines as Jenny Simpson's first race since her reunion with Mark Wetmore was simply SENSATIONAL. Mary Cain was way back but got a new HS record.
*MB: Tim Hutchens (sic) on Jenny Simpson "The World Champion is Back."
*MB: THE WETMORE FACTOR
*MB: Morgan Uceny adidas 4:17.71
*MB: Official 2013 Drake 1500 Thread
LRC Rest Of Friday's Pro Action: A Stunner In the 110 Hurdles, Jenn Suhr Loses, Jeremy Wariner Loses, Brittney Reese Wins All 3 of the Olympic 110 hurdlers were running for $25,000. None of them won as Andrew Riley pulled a stunner. Brittney Reese was very clutch.
*Aries Merritt Partially Blames Drake Loss On Wind As He's "Really Thin" And The Headwind Hurts Him More Than A "Muscular Guy" Like Riley
*IAAF Recap: Simpson And Cuba's Yarisley Silva Shine
*Quotes From Friday's Stars Simpson was pumped as her grandpa was a Drake grad.
More: Des Moines Register Coverage:
*1,500: Iowa Native Simpson Sets Stadium Record
*Huge 110H Upset
*Recap Of Friday's Highlights
The NFL Gets A Discus Thrower
*UK Discus Record Holder And Olympian Lawrence Okoye Decides To Quit Track And Signs With The San Francisco 49ers As An Undrafted Free Agent He's never played football before, but did well in the Combine with 4.78 seconds in the 40 yards, 35 inches in the vertical jump and 125 inches in the broad jump.
*Okoye: "I realise it's going to be a ridiculously tough process. I will have to work even harder than everyone else, I have a lot to catch up on."
We Celebrate The 2013 Boston Marathon's Pro Race A Week After The Fact *Top 25 Results *Boston Photos *Boston Pre-Race Photos
Women's Race Recap & Analysis
LRC The Seven-Year Itch Is Met: Rita Jeptoo Closes Hard To Win Her Second Title Hometown favorite Shalane Flanagan closed hard but not fast enough to give the US its first win since 1985.
LRC Shalane Flanagan And Kara Goucher On The Beauty And Emotion Of The Boston Marathon Even before the bombings, emotions were running high for Goucher and Flanagan. We talk about their tears, the pro-American crowd and media, the incredile Joan Benoit Samuelson and even what Kara and Shalane do when there isn't time to go to the Porta Potty but a race you've trained a lifetime for is about to start.
The Virgin London Marathon - The World's Most Competitive - Was Sunday *Top Results LRC: Photo Gallery
Women's Race: LRC Priscah Jeptoo Finishes First In Women's London Marathon Marred By Wheelchair Collision Jeptoo was very
over the second half, but the race was marred by the fact that Olympic champ Tiki Gelana was wiped out from behind in a horrific collision with a wheelchair racer.
*Top Results LRC: Photo Gallery
More London: *Video Of Wheelchair Collision
Good News: Wheelchair Racers May Start Before Professional Women Next Year
*Josh Cassidy (Wheelchair Racer Who Hit Gelana): "One of these years a woman is going to have a leg broken, a career ruined."
*London Honors The Victims In Boston
*Some Are Selling Boston Memorabilia On EBay And Giving Proceeds To Charity
Recommended Read: Paula Radcliffe And Her Husband Reflect On Her 2:15:25 Marathon WR, Which She Ran At London 10 Years Ago Her physio at the time, Gerard Hartmann, says she has the highest pain tolerance of anyone he'd ever worked with. "She would hurt me rather than me hurt her. She would actually break me down because I'd have to go so deep into the sinews, I would have to ice my thumbs afterwards I was in such pain."
Tonight's Oregon Twilight Gets Weekend Going *Free Live Stream (Featured Events Start At 9:05PM ET) *Meet Schedule *Entries *USTFCCCA Conference Championship Central
- Tonight: Register Guard Preview Alberto Salazar: “We’re hoping for a time of 1:47 or under, something in that range. For Galen, obviously, this is much shorter than his normal stuff, but he’s trying to set himself up for a good 1,500 at Oxy. ... t’s just speed work."
- Galen Rupp And Matt Centrowitz In 800 Field For Oregon Twilight Ben Blankenship is also in the 800 as Dathan Ritzenhein and Luke Puskedra are in the 3k and Bridget Franek and Max King in the steeplechases.
*MB: Oregon Twilight: Ritz and Puskedra in 3K, Rupp and Centro in 800
- Also Today: Belarus’s 2008 Olympic Silver medalist Andrei Krauchanka In The Lead After Day 1 Of Men's Decathlon At The Multistars Comp. In Florence The Netherlands’ Anouk Vetter leads the women’s heptathlon.
- USTFCCCA Weekend Preview: 13 DI Conference Meets This Weekend Including Big 12 And Big East
- Next Saturday May 11 UAE Healthy Kidney 10K: WR Holder Leonard Komon Leads Deep Field Of Top Africans And Americans To Chase Big Money At UAE Healthy Kidney 10-K Meb Keflezighi is back in action leading the Americans Bobby Mack and John Grey. Top Africans include 2008 Olympic bronze winner Edwin Soi, former World XC silver and bronze medalist Moses Kipsorio and African Jr. 5k champ Abera Kuma as well
as Former NCAA stars Stephen Sambu and Leonard Korir. Aussies Collis Birmingham, Ben St. Lawrence and Brett Robinson are also racing.
- Jamaican Invitational: IAAF Preview: Men's And Women's Sprints Lead The Way At Jamaican Invy Men’s 100m features Tyson Gay, Ryan Bailey, Darvis Patton, Nesta Carter and Kemar Bailey-Cole. Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce in the 200 vs Bianca Knight, GB's Christine Ohuruogu in 400, Dawn Harper vs Queen Harrison rematch in the 100H, bronze medallist Warren Weir, Wallace Spearmon and Nickel Ashmeade in the 200. Olympic silver winner Luguelin Santos in 400.
- Rivals Allyson Felix And Veronica Campbell-Brown Arrive In Jamaica For Jamaican Invitational On The Same Flight They'll showdown in the 100m on Saturday in a field that also includes Trinidad and Tobago's World bronze medallist Kelly-Ann Baptiste and Jamaica’s 2008 200 bronze medalist Kerron Stewart.
- Jamaica's 60m WR Holder Lerone Clarke & 2008 Olympic Silver Medalist Richard Phillips Are Among 6 Athletes Who Have Pulled Out (Most With Injuries) Most with injuries.
- Sunday: Preview Of Sunday’s BIG 25 Berlin 25k: 2011 World Marathon Silver Medalist Vincent Kipruto Leads Men's Field Over Jacob Kendagor (Recent 59:36 Half) & Ghirmay Ghebreslassie (60:09 Half) In the women's race Lucy Kabuu (66:09 at RAK Half-Marathon) will try and break Mary Keitany's 1:19:53 WR (5:08 pace) and face 2011 Boston champ Caroline Kilel.
- Next Weekend: Will Leer Vs Recent US Road Mile Champ Garrett Heath Highlights The May 9th Medtronic TC 1 Mile Road Race In the women's field, defending champ Heather Kamf faces recent breakthrough steeplechaser Jamie Cheever.
- 2-Time Olympic Javelin Champ Andreas Thorkildsen Looking For A Good Start To The Season At Doha DL After A Disappointing London Games Where He Was 6th
More On This Weekend And Beyond
- This Weekend: Allan Kiprono To Defend His Bloomsday 12k Title This Sunday Against Abdi Abdirahman And 2012 10k World Leader Emmanuel Bett (26:51) Past champions Simon Ndirangu and Gilbert Okari are also in the field as well as US's Brent Vaughn. For the women, 2011 champ Misiker Mekonnin will attempt to regain her crown while Alice Kimutai is the top seed with a 31:51 10k earlier this year.
- Japanese Teen Yoshihide Kiryu, Who Ran 10.01 To Tie The World Junior Record, Will Try To Go Sub-10 At Sunday's Seiko Golden Grand Prix He's already talking about going up against Bolt, saying, "I want to run alongside Bolt (at the Worlds) and see how he is different from me." Bolt is taller, not Asian (no Asian sprinter has ever run under 10.00) and almost half a second faster over 100m, but Yoshide is .22 faster than any other youth (under 18) ever in the world.
- May 19th Gifu Seiryu Half Marathon: WR Holder Zersenay Tadese Vs. 2007 World 10k Bronze Medalist Martin Mathathi As Well As Ryan Vail And Yuki Kawauchi The women's race is led by 2012 Amsterdam Marathon runner-up Eunice Kirwa Jepkirui, 2008 World XC silver medalist Mestawet Tufa and two-time Olympic marathon silver medalist Catherine Ndereba.
- May 26th: Slew OF British Olympians Set For UK's Bupa Westminster Mile Fields include Andy Baddeley, Ross Murray, Nick McCormick, Hannah England, Lisa Dobriskey and Steph Twell.
- June 1: Olympic Champ Robert Harting Leads Stacked Discus Competition At Prefontaine Classic As Reigning World Champion Mariya Abakamova Leads Javelin
Random But Interesting
- Kevin Spacey "Photobombs" Someone Mid-Run In Boston *Photo Here
- $$$: Usain Bolt Will Reportedly Earn $32,000/Second When He Races In The London Anniversary Games
- If You Haven't Seen This Before, It's Worth A Watch: Athlete At Chinese University Games Forgets To Hurdle During The 110H
- Another Study Saying Ice Baths Reduce Muscle Soreness Research suggests probably using it sparingly after especially hard or long workouts/races.
Dartmouth Alum Matt Miner Is "The Ivy League's Latest Gift" To The University Of Oregon The UO grad student was the only one to dip under 4 minutes (3:59.9) on Oregon's winning 4 x Mile team at Penn Relays.
Hakone Ekiden University Select Team Made Up Of Top Individual Runners From Schools That Fail To Qualify As A Team May Be Cut To Once In Five Years Yuki Kawauchi (who benefitted from the select team) has spoken out against this.
Usain Bolt Injured, Rupp, Ritz, Centro At Oregon Twilight This Weekend
- Saturday: Usain Bolt Pulls Out Of This Weekend's Jamaican Invitational With A Slight Hamstring Strain He's hoping he might be good to go by next week's Cayman Invitational.
*MB: Down goes Bolt! Down goes Bolt!
- Tyson Gay Is A Last Minute Addition To Jamaica Invitational He'll face US's Ryan Bailey and Jamaican 4 x 100 gold medalists Nesta Carter and Kemar Bailey-Cole as well as 60m NR holder Lerone Clarke.
- IAAF Preview Of This Weekend's Multistars Trofeo Zerneri Acciai Meeting Which Marks The Start of The IAAF Combined Events Challenge Series
- May 10th: IAAF Look At The Deep Fields Set For May 10th Doha DL Meet David Rudisha vs. Mohamed Aman in the 800, World indoor champion Genzebe Dibaba vs. former compatriot (who is now representing Sweden) Abeba Aregawi in the 1,500, Hagos Gebrhiwet and Yenew Alamirew in the 3,000, World indoor bronze medallist Mekonnen Gebremedhin in the 1,500 and Olympic bronze medallist Sofia Assefa and World XC silver medallist Hiwot Ayalew in the women's steeplechase.
US Pro, Prep, NCAA News
- Interesting: Jason Hartmann Is The Coach Of High Schooler Elise Cranny, Who Ran The #3 All-Time Fastest Prep 1,500 At Payton Jordan (4:15.07) Hartmann sounds like a good coach (which makes sense since he coaches himself), as he said, "We have a plan. We want yearly development rather than going for the gusto for one year and you never hear from her again."
- RunnerSpace Interview With Yale Alum And Recent US 1 Mile Road Champion Kate Grace, Who's Having A Breakout Year Last weekend, Grace finished third in the Drake Relays 1,500m with a PR of 4:08.24.
- US's LJ World Champion Dwight Phillips Says He's Fully Recovered From The Car Accident That Ended His 2012 Season And At 100% He wants to be the the first American to win five World Championships in an individual event.
- Impressive: Blind Pole Vaulter Aria Ottmueller Qualifies For Arizona State Meet
- Daily Relay 5 Questions With Doc Patton, Who Talks About How The Third Leg Of The 4 X 100 At Penn Relays Was Coined "Patton's Corner"
- A Look Back At Jim Ryun's 3:51.1 WR Mile He Ran At Bakersfield College's Memorial Stadium In 1967 - A Record That Stood For 8 Years Ryun: "There are a handful of runs that define you, and that race was one that defined who I was."
- Updated Rankings: Florida Men And Texas A&M Women Stay On Top Of DI National Rankings
- Carrie Tollefson To Run First Marathon At Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon This Fall
- adidas Grand Prix Dream Mile/100 Announcing Invites
Upcoming Action: Rudisha Will Open His Season Friday
- Friday: David Rudisha Says He's Recovered From His Cold And Will Open His Season At AK/National Bank Of Kenya Meeting In Nairobi He'll be in the 400, as will Pamela Jelimo. Others highlights include steepler Paul Kipsiele Koech in the 5,000 against Richard Mateelong, Isaiah Koech Kiplagat in the 1,500 and Olympic bronze medalist Timothy Kitum in the 800.
- May 26th: Haile Gebrselassie Will Try To Win His 6th Title At Bupa Great Manchester Run 10k As He Is Challenged By Wilson Kipsang UK's Chris Thompson is also in the field.
- June 1st: Olympic Champ Mariya Savinova Vs. Former Olympic Champ Pamela Jelimo At This Year's Pre Classic 800 Also in the field are Alysia Montano and Janeth Jepkosgei.
Stanford Was Sunday *Women's Results *Men's Results
LRC Men's Results And Flash Recap Ben True's big season continued
as he won the 5k, but the most improved American is Eric Jenkins, who came into the meet as a 14:04 guy but is now one of the 10 fastest collegians in history thanks to his 13:18! Chris
Solinsky's comeback to relevance took
a BIG step forward while Alan Webb's took somewhat of a hit.
*Ashton Eaton Was 3rd In PV With 16 Feet, 3/4 Inch As His Fiance Brianne Theisen Won The HJ With 5-11-1/2
*Brett Larner Looks At Japanese Weekend Results: Suguru Osako (27:38.31) And Yuki Sato (27:39.50) Go 2-3 And Come Up Just Short Of 27:35.09 NR At Payton Jordan Elsewhere at Oda Memorial Meet in Hiroshima, Kenya's Paul Tanui won the 5k in 13:16.57 as Martin Mathathi was 6th (13:41.80) and Yuki Kawauchi 18th (14:09.88).
LRC Women's Results And Flash Recap The good news is Jordan Hasay is now one of the 5 fastest collegians in history. The bad news is she missed the "A" and "B" standards. The breakthrough of the night came from Jamie Cheever, who went from 9:51 to 9:29 in the steeple.
*MileSplit Weekend HS Coverage: At Payton Jordan, Elise Cranny Finished 3rd, Running The 3rd Fastest All-Time HS 1,500 At 4:15.07 The time is only behind the 4:10.77 by Mary Cain at Drake and Jordan Hasay's 4:14.50.
Stanford On The Message Boards:
MB: Official Payton Jordan Updates Thread
MB: WEBB IS BACK, BABY, 13:37
MB: JORDAN HASAY: 32:06 UO/PAC 12 #1 ALL TIME, NO. 4 NCAA ALL TIME - WOW
MB: #3 AT HS 1500m-Elise Cranny at Payton Jordan
MB: Olympic Triathlon Champion Brownlee runs 28:32 for 10k at Stanford
MB: Alistair Brownlee running Stanford 10K
MB: Twin Robertsons
Penn Relays Ended Saturday
LRC Saturday American
Women's 4 X 800 Record, Robby Andrews Kicks Too Soon, Emily Lipari Impresses And More
It was a great final day at Penn. The American record got crushed in the 4 x 800, Big East XC champ Emily Lipari somehow won the 4 x 800 for Villanova, excitement in the USA vs. the World DMR, Oregon won the 4 x mile, Penn State the 4 x 800, and German Fernandez and Robby Andrews were in the mile that saw
3 4 US guys go sub-4 for the first time. In the USA vs. the World races, the US won everything but the DMR and women's 4 x 100. *IAAF Recap
Penn On The Boards:
- Penn Mile: Robby Andrews 3:57.82 for 4th at Penn, German Fernandez 4:03
- US Women's 4x800 AR
- (2:06.7 800m runner) Emily Lipari Just Split 2:02.3 to Get Collegiate Record in 4X800 for Nova
- DMR: Brit Throws a Tantrum After Falling Down, Ethiopia Wins
- Can someone explain the U. of Penn Track config to me?
Previous Penn News *Results/Info
- Penn: Day 2 LRC Men's DMR: Penn State & Robbie Creese Do It Again - Bayer 3:55
Some guys have "it" and Robbie Creese is
one. He isn't afraid to run in the front at Penn Relays and he blitzed the final 200 to give PSU its third COA title in two years in 9:24.
- LRC 4 x 1,500: Michigan's All-In Bet Is Rewarded The Wolverines, Ducks and Wildcats all ran three of the fastest 10 times in Penn Relays history but the amazing 5th year of Amanda Eccleston continued as Michigan got the win.
- Sean McGorty 4:04.47 We were impressed with McGorty's solo 8:46 last week and that carried over to Penn where he set a US HS leader.
- Sad - Ever Heard Of Drake Or Penn? Arkansas Looking To Improve Its 4 X 400 Times At Home This Weekend
- Day 1: LRC Villanova
Wins Record 11th DMR Title With Michigan a scratch, the Wildcats were the class of the field and ran like it as they defended their crown from last year. Plus we recap the HS girls distance action.
*Touching: Villanova Dedicates DMR Victory To Associate AD Who Died Suddenly At Age 25 On April 16th "A year ago, when we won Penn Relays, he handed us our wheel," Lipari said. "He's always been a huge supporter of Villanova track and field and the whole athletic community at Villanova so we wanted to support him the way he always supported us."
*Philly Inquirer: After Sting Of 2nd Place At NCAAs, 'Nova Wanted DMR Win Badly *AP Recap
*Penn Relays Steeplechase Photos
Experts: Don't Stretch Or Cool Down
- NY Times: Little reason to cool-down after excerise
- NY Times: No need to stretch before exercise
- NY Times: But stretching calves & achilles is good for plantar
We Celebrate The 2013 Boston Marathon's Pro Race A Week After The Fact *Top 25 Results *Boston Photos *Boston Pre-Race Photos
Men's Race Recap & Analysis
LRC 2013 Boston Marathon Men's Race: Lelisa Desisa Wins 3-Way Kick For Title And Remains Undefeated At The 26.2 Distance The race ended up being a fan and promoter's dream - a 3-way kick between 3 big names for the title. Since the local CBS station went to commercial, we hype up the finish for you and ask if marathoning has a new #1 in Desisa. John Kellogg explains to you why the times were slow (2:10:22 FTW) and we point out how the slowest guy won the kick and just how special our predictions were. Plus Jason Hartmann (4th), Daniel Tapia (9th), Craig Leon (10th) and Rob Watson (11th) meant four North Americans in the top 11.
LRC Long-Time Track And Field Official Tommy Meagher Reacts Heroically To Boston Marathon Bombings Many of you certainly recognize Meagher - who in many ways is the "face" of running in New England. He passed the guts test with flying colors.
LRC LetsRun.com Visitor Will Brown Talks About The 2013 Boston Marathon Terrorist Attacks The 60-year-old marathoner was just 2.5 blocks away and says "it was the biggest sound" he'd ever heard - so loud he "thought it was possibly a plane crash."
Week That Was
LRC Jenny Simpson, Eric Jenkins, Diego Estrada, Mac Fleet, Chris Solinsky, The PSU Men And Villanova Women Impress, The Mystery That Is German Fernandez This week, we heap praise on Diego Estrada, Eric Jenkins, Mac Fleet, Chris Solinsky and the PSU men, but give the most to the Villanova women. Along the way, we slam the Arkansas men, talk about Jordan Hasay and the mystery that is German Fernandez and announce Lawrence Okoye, a future NFL star for the San Francisco 49ers. Plus a 17-year-old runs 10.01 – and he's from Japan.
Another One Bites The Dust: Coastal Carolina To Cut Men's Track & XC Programs
- Results From Drake Relays Road Races: Deep Prize Money Generated Some Competitive Fields Emmanuel Bett won the 10k in 28:23 over Kenneth Kipkemoi (28:29). Mark Kiptoo won the half marathon in 1:02:27 as the top 5 were all within 8 seconds of each other.
- Amazing: Despite Not Starting Walking Until The Age Of 13, Yelena Lashmanova Wins Coppa Città di Sesto San Giovanni 20k In Italy
- Results From Yesterday's 15K In Le Puy en Velay, France: Kennedy Kimutai (43:48) And Wagnesh Mekasha (50:22) Take Titles
More Post-Boston News
- Three More Arrested In Connection With Boston Bombing For Trying To Remove Evidence From Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's Dorm Room None of them are accused of any direct involvement in the bombings, but are being charged with conspiring to obstruct justice and making false statements to federal investigators.
- Knocked Down Boston Runner Bill Iffrig (From The Iconic Photo) Racing Again At Bloomsday Run 12k This Sunday
- Researchers Say The Day Of The Boston Bombings Was The "Saddest Day In Twitter History" It's interesting how they monitor the mood of each day by assigning more than 10,000 words a mood score between 1 and 9, most negative to most positive.
- EBay Monitoring Listings Of Boston Marathon Medals Being Auctioned Off Some are being sold with the proceeds going to charity.
- BAA Says They've Been Overwhelmed By Public Support After Bombings
IAAF Good Q&A With David Rudisha's Coach, Brother Colm O'Connell "I am certain he can still improve on the 1:40.91 he ran in London ... But, frankly, I don't think 1:40 or below is going to be possible soon. 1:40 cannot be broken in the next two or three years. It will take time: 1:40.9, 1:40.8, etc. The question is, will he last long enough?"
Which Americans Can Go To Worlds?
- LRC 2013 Moscow World Track And Field Championships - Men's American "A" And "B" Qualifiers
- LRC 2013 Moscow World Track And Field Championships - Women's American "A" And "B" Qualifiers
Field Event News
- Profile On NAIA Thrower Willy Irwin, Whose 63 feet, 11 1/2 Inches In The Shot Put Would Put Him 2nd In D1 He passed up a scholarship offer from Oklahoma for the chance to be coached by 1976 Olympic discus champ Mac Wilkins.
- South Africa's Olympic Silver Medalist Khotso Mokoena Long Jumps Over Crocodiles
- Kenyan Javelin Thrower Julius Yego Gets Telecom Sponsor In his early days, Yego taught himself how to throw by watching YouTube videos.
2 Reviews & 1 Book Excerpt From John McDonnell: The Most Successful NCAA Coach In History
LRC Book Review By Former Hog Marlon Boykins: "Two Thumbs Up:"
book is full of insight into the hard-working, team-first ethos that
made us such a successful." We had two people review the book, including the 1:47 man Boykins, who was at Arkansas at the pinnacle of its heyday. "It was a self-contained UBER-COMPETITIVE atmosphere ... the sprinters, jumpers and distance guys all trying to show which group reigned supreme ..."
Book Excerpt The Legendary Story Of The 1989 Penn Relays DMR, Where 4 Kids From Arkansas, Texas And Missouri Beat 4 African Olympians And The Olympic 1,500m Champ The 1989 Mount St. Mary's Penn Relays DMR team featured 4 African Olympians, including 1988 Olympic 1,500m champ Peter Rono. John McDonnell's Arkansas squad featured 4 kids from Texas, Missouri and Arkansas. A legendary motivational speech by McDonnell and Joe Falcon on the anchor made for one of the great upsets in Penn Relays history. Read all about it in this excerpt from the new John McDonnell biography.
LRC Review #2 John McDonnell D2 Coach Torrey Olson We had Olson, who has an MFA in creative writing, give his take. "It's got a lot to offer anyone interested in an incredibly sustained passion for the both the sport and the profession."
Other Weekend Action: Japan HSer Runs 10.01
The Week In Review
LRC No Boston Hat Unless It Has A Swoosh, The 2013 London Marathon, US 1,500 Stars Struggle, & How Do You Pronounce Tsegaye Kebede? This week we take a look at the struggles of the US 1,500 stars Manzano, Rowbury and Uceny, wonder if it's the year that Brenda Martinez and Will Leer break through, wonder if Abbey D will break 15:00, wonder what the name of the 2013 New York City marathon will be, explain to you why the men's times were so slow in London, tell you what Eliud Kipchoge, Paul Tergat and Haile G have in common, and lament the fact that Andrew Wheating can't wear a Boston cap unless it has a Nike swoosh on it. All of that and more including Usain Bolt the king and a HSer runs 8:46 in 15 mph winds.
Blue Collar / Inspirational Runner Of The Week
LRC Meet Conner Paez: "Please don't cut off my leg. Please just don't amputate my leg. I can't lose my leg. I need to run." Two years ago, Conner Paez was on top of the world as a freshman at the University of Pennsylvania (8:16, 14:18). Then his life turned in a second as he was broadsided by a car while on his motor bike. The injuries were bad, very bad. He almost lost his leg, then some toes. Doctors told him he'd never compete again. What's he doing this weekend? Competing again.
Prince Harry And Richard Branson In London (Flash Gallery, More Coming)
MB Haile Gebrselassie: Happy 40th Birthday!
On 40th BDay - Haile Recaps His 5 Favorite Races And His Biggest Racing Regret Haile's favorite race? The Sydney 10k. His one regret? No Olympic gold in the marathon.
*10 Of Haile's Greatest Races
Learn From The Pros
LRC Ten Training Tips From Bernard Lagat, Dathan Ritzenhein And Abdi Abdirahman The American men took center stage at the NYC Half on Thursday. You can watch video interviews with the top American men (Lagat here, Ritz here and Abdi here) and we will have more on their race preparations on Friday, but in the meantime we compiled ten training tips from Bernard, Dathan, and Abdi that you can use in your own training.