More From Penn/Drake/Payton Jordan
- Payton Jordan: LRC: Women's Results/Analysis
- IAAF Payton Jordan Race Recaps
- Diego Estrada And Betsy Saina Are USTFCCCA DI Athletes Of The Week For Their Payton Jordan Performances Estrada ran 13:15.33 which is the second fastest by a collegian outdoors only behind Henry Rono's 13:08.4 from 1978. Saina ran 31:37.22 winning by 7 seconds with the No. 3 all-time collegiate mark.
- NAU Head Coach Eric Heins On Estrada's 13:15: “I think Diego took a big step forward tonight in establishing himself as a world-class runner."
- Emma Coburn On Just Holding Off Jamie Cheever: "In the steeple, if you are tired, you are tired. There isn't another gear you can change to with the barriers." Coburn won 9:28.26 to Cheever's 9:29.13.
- Cheever Talks About Her Huge PR: “I was hoping to get in the 9:40s so this was a really big surprise to run under 9:30 and have a 22 second PR."
- Britain's Olympic Triathlon Champion Alistair Brownlee Is Trying To Qualify For Selection To The UK Team For 2014 Commonwealth Games He ran 28:32.48 which puts him 22 seconds outside England Athletics' B qualifying standard.
- Good: Regina Jacobs's Stanford Frosh 800 Record Broken Amy Weissenbach won the 800 in 2:04.24 and also put herself #2 all-time at Stanford.
- Ben St. Lawrence Secures Australian Team Spot For Moscow World Champs With His 27:37.55 Win At Payton Jordan
- Drake: AJ Acosta Still Sponsor-less And Having A Rough Start To 2013 With A 4:11 (Kansas), 4:06 (Drake Road), And 4:05 (Drake Track) In His First Three Races He'll race again this weekend at the ReRun San Diego meet with a loaded mile field that includes David Torrence, Ryan Gregson, Donn Cabral, Cam Levins, Zan Robertson and Jordan McNamara.
*MB: AJ Acosta Has 700 Miles On His Current Shoes Because No One Will Give Him Free New Ones
- Drake Relays Deal With ESPN2 Hurt Local Stations Who Were Restricted On What Replays They Could Broadcast From The Meet The article leads with, "Why would the powerbrokers of a fringe sport set parameters on free publicity?"
- Europeans Fair Well At Drake Relays As Spanish HJer Ruth Beitia And Czech Republic's Zuzana Hejnova (400H) Both Win With World Leads German PVer Bjorn Otto beat his rival and Olympic champ Renaud Lavillenie twice, in both the mall and track competitions.
- Penn: Jamaica's Jevon Francis Named The Penn Relays HS Boy Athlete Of The Meet For Relay Events After He Anchored Calabar's 4x4 With A 44.9 To Win
Random Olympic News
- Pretty Cool: Russian Astronauts Will Take Olympic Torch Into Orbit For A Space Walk As Part Of Sochi 2014 Winter Games Torch Relay
- Auction Of London 2012 Olympic Memorabilia Garners $77,000 A pink javelin signed by heptathlete Jessica Ennis went for $1,020.
- Tokyo Governor Says NY Times Article Misrepresented Him When They Gave Quotes Criticizing Istanbul's Olympic Bid
- West Ham Look To Be Clear To Take Over Olympic Stadium After Leyton Orient's Application For Judicial Review Was Rejected
2013 Drake Relays *Results *Friday's Complete Results *Saturday Drake Photos
Saturday: Queen Harrison Upsets Dawn Harper, Kellie Wells And Lolo To Take Home $25k, Nick Willis Wins Mile AP Zusana Hejnova won the 400m
hurdles with a world leader, Reese
had a world leader and Nick Willis won the mile by
over 3 seconds, plus Bjorn Otto won the stacked pole vault. *IAAF Recap
*Lolo Jones Says She's Ready For "Twitter Attacks" After Her 4th Place Finish At Drake "I can take away some positives, but I feel like people will automatically attack me and turn it into something negative."
*After Finishing 4th, Hometown Hero Lolo Jones May Skip Future Drake Relays For "Sanity's Sake"
*Father To Be (And 30-Year-Old) Nick Willis To Run Shanghai, Pre And NY But Not Run In Europe Before Worlds
*HS: Josh Evans Runs 4:10.86 1,600 For Iowa State Record
On The Boards: Nick Willis Dominates Drake: 3:55.7 Pumps Up Crowd!
Friday: LRC Wow: Jenny Simpson Impresses With Drake Relays Record And World Lead In 1,500 They say the sequel rarely lives up to the original. Well, that wasn't true Friday night in Des Moines as Jenny Simpson's first race since her reunion with Mark Wetmore was simply SENSATIONAL. Mary Cain was way back but got a new HS record.
*MB: Tim Hutchens (sic) on Jenny Simpson "The World Champion is Back."
*MB: THE WETMORE FACTOR
*MB: Morgan Uceny adidas 4:17.71
*MB: Official 2013 Drake 1500 Thread
LRC Rest Of Friday's Pro Action: A Stunner In the 110 Hurdles, Jenn Suhr Loses, Jeremy Wariner Loses, Brittney Reese Wins All 3 of the Olympic 110 hurdlers were running for $25,000. None of them won as Andrew Riley pulled a stunner. Brittney Reese was very clutch.
*Aries Merritt Partially Blames Drake Loss On Wind As He's "Really Thin" And The Headwind Hurts Him More Than A "Muscular Guy" Like Riley
*IAAF Recap: Simpson And Cuba's Yarisley Silva Shine
*Quotes From Friday's Stars Simpson was pumped as her grandpa was a Drake grad.
More: Des Moines Register Coverage:
*1,500: Iowa Native Simpson Sets Stadium Record
*Huge 110H Upset
*Recap Of Friday's Highlights
The NFL Gets A Discus Thrower
*UK Discus Record Holder And Olympian Lawrence Okoye Decides To Quit Track And Signs With The San Francisco 49ers As An Undrafted Free Agent He's never played football before, but did well in the Combine with 4.78 seconds in the 40 yards, 35 inches in the vertical jump and 125 inches in the broad jump.
*Okoye: "I realise it's going to be a ridiculously tough process. I will have to work even harder than everyone else, I have a lot to catch up on."
- Tulsa Throws Its Hat In The Ring As A Potential US Bidder For The 2024 Olympics However, there is "little chance" of the USOC choosing Tulsa, which ranks as only the 45th largest city in the US.
- Tokyo 2020 Facing IOC Ethics Commission Backlash After Governor's Negative Comments About Istanbul
- Former Russian Olympic Committee Vice-President Claims Someone Is Trying To Poison Him
- Break In Procedure During Board Of Cycling Ireland Meeting Which Nominated Pat McQuaid For UCI Head Leads To Nomination Being Declared Void The decision to nominate him will now be left up to an "Extraordinary General Meeting."
The BBC Looks Back At The Horrific Systematic Doping Of East Germany
- The BBC Looks Back At The Horrifying Stories Of The East German Doping Scandals, Where Athletes Were Treated Like "Chemical Field Tests" "They talk of stolen childhoods and long-term health traded in for medals, of dissenters bundled into wooden crates and young women growing up to look and speak like men."
- BBC Looks At British 4 X 100 That Lost Gold Medal To East German Athletes And Asks The Question Why The IAAF Doesn't Correct The Record Books After This Well-Documented Doping
Former East German sprinter Ines Geipel: "I do think the IAAF should at least react to it, should maybe honour them again, those who only got silver, or should in principle look at these lists. I simply don't know why it isn't being dealt with seriously."
Other Doping News:
- USADA Head Travis Tygart Claims That Lance Armstrong Has Evidence That The UCI Covered Up Doping
- Aslı Çakır Alptekin Left Off Turkish Team For Mediterranean Games As She's Being Investigated For Doping After Abnormalities In Her Blood Embarassingly, because of doping ban, defending European 100H champ Nevin Yanıt will be unable to compete in the stadium that was named after her.
Countries Start To Name Their Marathon Squads For 2013 World Champs
- Kenya: Athletics Kenya Names World Champs Marathon Squad "Short List" Of 20 Athletes (10 Men, 10 Women) At first glance you might think "narrowing" the list down to 20 is absolutely useless; however, that leaves WR holder Patrick Makau and 2:03 man Geoffrey Mutai off the list. Those making the cut include defending World champions Abel Kirui and Edna Kiplagat as well as Boston/London champs Rita Jeptoo and Priscah Jeptoo and Eliud Kipchoge (2:05:30 debut at Hamburg last weekend).
- Japan: Japan Announces Marathon Squad For 2013 Moscow World Championships: 5 Men And 3 Women WC 5th placer Yukiko Akaba, who ran 2:24:43 in London, is left off because overseas races over their 'standard' of 2:24 weren't considered.
- MB: How does the US determine who goes to Worlds for the Marathon?
*US only sending three to World Champs in marathon?
Boston Charity Updates *One Fund Boston Site
- One Fund Boston Has Raised More Than $20 Million For Boston Marathon Bombing Victims
- Saucony Donating 100% Of Sales Of "#BostonStrong Lace Medallions" To Benefit Boston Marathon Victims And Families
- Florida High School Senior And His 13-Year-Old Quadruple Amputee Brother Trying To Raise $1 Million For Boston Marathon Amputees Their site has been live for 2 days and they've raised $13,000.
- New Balance Makes $1 Million Donation To The One Fund Boston
Also Boston-Related: Utah Man Arrested For Making Joke "Bomb Threat" To Sale Lake City Marathon
US Road Mile Championships *Results/Full Race Videos
Garrett Heath And Kate Grace Win US Road Mile Championships As 1,500 Medallists Manzano And Rowbury Struggle Heath won with 4:02.79 over Jeff See (4:02.91), Leo Manzano (4:03.59) and Craig Miller (4:03.60); Miles Batty was 6th (4:04.53). Grace won with 4:43.02,
outkicking Sara Hall (4:43.61) and defending champ Heather Kampf (4:43.69). Shannon Rowbury was back in 6th (4:45.39).
*Post-Race Video Interviews
We Celebrate The 2013 Boston Marathon's Pro Race A Week After The Fact *Top 25 Results *Boston Photos *Boston Pre-Race Photos
Women's Race Recap & Analysis
LRC The Seven-Year Itch Is Met: Rita Jeptoo Closes Hard To Win Her Second Title Hometown favorite Shalane Flanagan closed hard but not fast enough to give the US its first win since 1985.
LRC Shalane Flanagan And Kara Goucher On The Beauty And Emotion Of The Boston Marathon Even before the bombings, emotions were running high for Goucher and Flanagan. We talk about their tears, the pro-American crowd and media, the incredile Joan Benoit Samuelson and even what Kara and Shalane do when there isn't time to go to the Porta Potty but a race you've trained a lifetime for is about to start.
The Virgin London Marathon - The World's Most Competitive - Was Sunday *Top Results LRC: Photo Gallery
Women's Race: LRC Priscah Jeptoo Finishes First In Women's London Marathon Marred By Wheelchair Collision Jeptoo was very
over the second half, but the race was marred by the fact that Olympic champ Tiki Gelana was wiped out from behind in a horrific collision with a wheelchair racer.
*Top Results LRC: Photo Gallery
More London: *Video Of Wheelchair Collision
Good News: Wheelchair Racers May Start Before Professional Women Next Year
*Josh Cassidy (Wheelchair Racer Who Hit Gelana): "One of these years a woman is going to have a leg broken, a career ruined."
*London Honors The Victims In Boston
*Some Are Selling Boston Memorabilia On EBay And Giving Proceeds To Charity
Recommended Read: Paula Radcliffe And Her Husband Reflect On Her 2:15:25 Marathon WR, Which She Ran At London 10 Years Ago Her physio at the time, Gerard Hartmann, says she has the highest pain tolerance of anyone he'd ever worked with. "She would hurt me rather than me hurt her. She would actually break me down because I'd have to go so deep into the sinews, I would have to ice my thumbs afterwards I was in such pain."
- Kansas Relays: *Full Results *Cory Leslie Runs Away Early From Leo Manzano, Nick Symmonds, Lee Emanuel In Mile
Leslie ran 3:58.18 to Manzano's 4:00.13 and Symmonds' 4:00.21. Emanuel was 4th (4:01.98); AJ Acosta was 9th (4:11.73). Leslie also won the Blue Shoes Mile earlier this month.
*Article On Nick Symmonds And Beer Mile WR And Sponsorship
*Olympic Silver Medalist Michael Tinsley Wins 400H In World-Leading 48.77 At Kansas Relays 2005 world champ Bershawn Jackson was back in 5th (51.22).
*Kansas Meet Recap
Which Americans Can Go To Worlds?
- LRC 2013 Moscow World Track and Field Championships – Men's American ‘A’ and ‘B’ Qualifiers
- LRC 2013 Moscow World Track and Field Championships – Women’s American ‘A’ and ‘B’ Qualifiers
Weekend Results On The Roads
- Italian Olympians Daniele Meucci and Valeria Straneo Clear Winners At Chia Laguna Half-Marathon Meucci, who was recently second at the NYC Half, won in 1:07:45 and Straneo in 1:13:50 on what was apparently a very hilly course.
- World Marathon Championships Course Is Tested With Staging Of Russian Marathon Championships Last Saturday Artyom Aplachkin won the men’s title in 2:15:23, with Marina Kovalyova the women’s victor in 2:35:03.
*Russian Recap Russia's 2:18 marathoner Liliya Shobukhova is skipping this season due to pregnancy.
Upcoming Action: Rudisha Will Open His Season Friday
- Friday: David Rudisha Says He's Recovered From His Cold And Will Open His Season At AK/National Bank Of Kenya Meeting In Nairobi wHe'll be in the 400 as will Pamela Jelimo. Others highlights include steepler Paul Kipsiele Koech in the 5000 against Richard Mateelong, Isaiah Koech Kiplagat in the 1500 and Olympic bronze medalist Timothy
Kitum in the 800.
- May 26th: Haile Gebrselassie Will Try To Win His 6th Title At Bupa Great Manchester Run 10k As He Is Challenged By Wilson Kipsang UK's Chris Thompson is also in the field.
- June 1st: Olympic Champ Mariya Savinova Vs Former Olympic Champ Pamela Jelimo At This Year's Pre Classic 800 Also in the field are Alysia Montano and Janeth Jepkosgei.
Stanford Was Sunday *Women's Results *Men's Results
LRC Men's Results And Flash Recap Ben True's big season continued
as he won the 5k, but the most improved American is Eric Jenkins, who came into the meet as a 14:04 guy but is now one of the 10 fastest collegians in history thanks to his 13:18! Chris
Solinsky's comeback to relevance took
a BIG step forward while Alan Webb's took somewhat of a hit.
*Ashton Eaton Was 3rd In PV With 16 Feet, 3/4 Inch As His Fiance Brianne Theisen Won The HJ With 5-11-1/2
*Brett Larner Looks At Japanese Weekend Results: Suguru Osako (27:38.31) And Yuki Sato (27:39.50) Go 2-3 And Come Up Just Short Of 27:35.09 NR At Payton Jordan Elsewhere at Oda Memorial Meet in Hiroshima, Kenya's Paul Tanui won the 5k in 13:16.57 as Martin Mathathi was 6th (13:41.80) and Yuki Kawauchi 18th (14:09.88).
LRC Women's Results And Flash Recap The good news is Jordan Hasay is now one of the 5 fastest collegians in history. The bad news is she missed the "A" and "B" standards. The breakthrough of the night came from Jamie Cheever, who went from 9:51 to 9:29 in the steeple.
*MileSplit Weekend HS Coverage: At Payton Jordan, Elise Cranny Finished 3rd, Running The 3rd Fastest All-Time HS 1,500 At 4:15.07 The time is only behind the 4:10.77 by Mary Cain at Drake and Jordan Hasay's 4:14.50.
Stanford O The Message Boards:
MB: Official Payton Jordan Updates Thread
MB: WEBB IS BACK, BABY, 13:37
MB: JORDAN HASAY: 32:06 UO/PAC 12 #1 ALL TIME, NO. 4 NCAA ALL TIME - WOW
MB: #3 AT HS 1500m-Elise Cranny at Payton Jordan
MB: Olympic Triathlon Champion Brownlee runs 28:32 for 10k at Stanford
MB: Alistair Brownlee running Stanford 10K
MB: Twin Robertsons
Penn Relays Ended Saturday
LRC Saturday American
Women's 4 X 800 Record, Robby Andrews Kicks Too Soon, Emily Lipari Impresses And More
It was a great final day at Penn. The American record got crushed in the 4 x 800, Big East XC champ Emily Lipari somehow won the 4 x 800 for Villanova, excitement in the USA vs. the World DMR, Oregon won the 4 x mile, Penn State the 4 x 800, and German Fernandez and Robby Andrews were in the mile that saw
3 4 US guys go sub-4 for the first time. In the USA vs. the World races, the US won everything but the DMR and women's 4 x 100. *IAAF Recap
*IU's Derek Drouin Breaks Stones's Stadium Record At Penn With 7 feet, 7 3/4 inches
*Jamaican Women Win Penn Relays 4 X 100, Anchored By Olympic Champ Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce
*DyeStat Penn Relays High School Highlights
*Jamaican HSers Do Well As They Won 4 Of The 6 Available Relays At Penn
*Jamaican HSer Clive Pullen Wins Rare Penn Relays Double, Winning TJ The Year After He Won The LJ
*Philly.com Recap Of American 4 X 800 Record
*AP Recap Of 4 X 800 Record And USA Vs. The World
*Two Great Quotes From Emily Lipari And Cas Loxsom That Show The Passion Of Penn Lipari: "It's all about guts, and it's all about heart." Loxsom: "I heard all of those 'Nova fans with about 300 to go and said screw them."
*Villanova Women Somehow Upset Oregon In 4 X 800 Philly.com
*Jeff Demps Gets Traded He ran the 4 x 100 at Penn.
*USATF Recap With Quotes From Athletes
*Good Question: Why Are Drake And Penn The Same Weekend?
Penn On The Boards:
- Penn Mile: Robby Andrews 3:57.82 for 4th at Penn, German Fernandez 4:03
- US Women's 4x800 AR
- (2:06.7 800m runner) Emily Lipari Just Split 2:02.3 to Get Collegiate Record in 4X800 for Nova
- DMR: Brit Throws a Tantrum After Falling Down, Ethiopia Wins
- Can someone explain the U. of Penn Track config to me?
Previous Penn News *Results/Info
- Penn: Day 2 LRC Men's DMR: Penn State & Robbie Creese Do It Again - Bayer 3:55
Some guys have "it" and Robbie Creese is
one. He isn't afraid to run in the front at Penn Relays and he blitzed the final 200 to give PSU its third COA title in two years in 9:24.
- LRC 4 x 1,500: Michigan's All-In Bet Is Rewarded The Wolverines, Ducks and Wildcats all ran three of the fastest 10 times in Penn Relays history but the amazing 5th year of Amanda Eccleston continued as Michigan got the win.
- Sean McGorty 4:04.47 We were impressed with McGorty's solo 8:46 last week and that carried over to Penn where he set a US HS leader.
- Sad - Ever Heard Of Drake Or Penn? Arkansas Looking To Improve Its 4 X 400 Times At Home This Weekend
- Philly.com Section On Penn Relays
- Felix: "I Love The Penn Relays"
- 'Nova Settles For 2nd In DMR And 4 X 1,500
- Broken Leg Guy Manteo Mitchell Is At Penn Inspiring Many
- Day 1: LRC Villanova
Wins Record 11th DMR Title With Michigan a scratch, the Wildcats were the class of the field and ran like it as they defended their crown from last year. Plus we recap the HS girls distance action.
*Touching: Villanova Dedicates DMR Victory To Associate AD Who Died Suddenly At Age 25 On April 16th "A year ago, when we won Penn Relays, he handed us our wheel," Lipari said. "He's always been a huge supporter of Villanova track and field and the whole athletic community at Villanova so we wanted to support him the way he always supported us."
*Philly Inquirer: After Sting Of 2nd Place At NCAAs, 'Nova Wanted DMR Win Badly *AP Recap
*Penn Relays Steeplechase Photos
Experts: Don't Stretch Or Cool Down
- NY Times: Little reason to cool-down after excercise
- NY Times: No need to stretch before exercise
- NY Times: But stretching calves & achilles is good for plantar
2 Reviews & 1 Book Excerpt From John McDonnell: The Most Successful NCAA Coach In History
LRC Book Review By Former Hog Marlon Boykins: "Two Thumbs Up:"
book is full of insight into the hard-working, team-first ethos that
made us such a successful." We had two people review the book, including the 1:47 man Boykins, who was at Arkansas at the pinnacle of its heyday. "It was a self-contained UBER-COMPETITIVE atmosphere ... the sprinters, jumpers and distance guys all trying to show which group reigned supreme ..."
Book Excerpt The Legendary Story Of The 1989 Penn Relays DMR, Where 4 Kids From Arkansas, Texas And Missouri Beat 4 African Olympians And The Olympic 1,500m Champ The 1989 Mount St. Mary's Penn Relays DMR team featured 4 African Olympians, including 1988 Olympic 1,500m champ Peter Rono. John McDonnell's Arkansas squad featured 4 kids from Texas, Missouri and Arkansas. A legendary motivational speech by McDonnell and Joe Falcon on the anchor made for one of the great upsets in Penn Relays history. Read all about it in this excerpt from the new John McDonnell biography.
LRC Review #2 John McDonnell D2 Coach Torrey Olson We had Olson, who has an MFA in creative writing, give his take. "It's got a lot to offer anyone interested in an incredibly sustained passion for the both the sport and the profession."
- JapanRunningNews' Brett Larner Analyzes Japan's Marathon World Champs Selections And Offers Some Criticism Of The Japan Federation's Women's Selection They chose to only send 3 women even though 2011 Daegu World Championships marathon 5th-placer Yukiko Akaba ran 2:24:43 for 3rd at the London Marathon (one of their selection races).
- France's 2008 Olympic 1,500 Bronze Medalist Mehdi Baala Says He'll Retire After This Year's World Champs
- Weird Twist In Oscar Pistorius' Brother's Court Case As The Judge Had The Entire Courtroom Leave The Building And Travel To The Scene Of The Alleged Crime Pistorius' brother is accused of driving recklessly and causing the death of a woman motorcyclist.
- World Junior Championships 200m Champ Delano Williams Says He Has Considered Representing Jamaica At The Senior Level He is from Turks and Caicos so cannot run for them at the Olympics since they aren't recognized by the IOC, but currently runs for the UK since Turks and Caicos are a British overseas territory.
- Oregonian's Ken Goe Follows Along And Describes A Long Workout Day With Galen Rupp And Mo Farah (Includes Video) 5-hour day including speedwork, gait analysis, and core/weight room training.
- Running Banned At Three Oregon Wildlife Refuges Because It Could "Stress" The Animals However, hiking and deer hunting are still allowed. So you can kill the animals, just don't spook them.
- US Government Sues Lance Armstrong For Defrauding Sponsorship By Doping
- Erik Kynard Named USATF Athlete Of The Week For His WLing 2.34 HJ Win At Mt. SAC
We Celebrate The 2013 Boston Marathon's Pro Race A Week After The Fact *Top 25 Results *Boston Photos *Boston Pre-Race Photos
Men's Race Recap & Analysis
LRC 2013 Boston Marathon Men's Race: Lelisa Desisa Wins 3-Way Kick For Title And Remains Undefeated At The 26.2 Distance The race ended up being a fan and promoter's dream - a 3-way kick between 3 big names for the title. Since the local CBS station went to commercial, we hype up the finish for you and ask if marathoning has a new #1 in Desisa. John Kellogg explains to you why the times were slow (2:10:22 FTW) and we point out how the slowest guy won the kick and just how special our predictions were. Plus Jason Hartmann (4th), Daniel Tapia (9th), Craig Leon (10th) and Rob Watson (11th) meant four North Americans in the top 11.
LRC Long-Time Track And Field Official Tommy Meagher Reacts Heroically To Boston Marathon Bombings Many of you certainly recognize Meagher - who in many ways is the "face" of running in New England. He passed the guts test with flying colors.
LRC LetsRun.com Visitor Will Brown Talks About The 2013 Boston Marathon Terrorist Attacks The 60-year-old marathoner was just 2.5 blocks away and says "it was the biggest sound" he'd ever heard - so loud he "thought it was possibly a plane crash."
The Virgin London Marathon *Top Results
Men's Race LRC Marathon Gods 1, Distance Runners 0:
World And Course Record Attempts Disintegrated As Everyone Bonked After A Crazy-Fast First Half The totally loaded men's field tried to live up to hype as they went out on WR pace, but in the end it proved to be a destructive pace.
Course record holder Emmanuel Mutai had a 28-second lead at 40km but ended up losing by 29 seconds as three different people had the lead in the last 4 miles. In the end, Ethiopia's Tsegaye Kebede was the winner.
LRC: What Happened to World Record Patrick Makau? He Didn't Stay With Leaders for 10k
*MB: Imagine if a in-form Ryan Hall had run London this year...
LRC: Photo Gallery
More London Men: *Side Stitch May Have Helped Kebede Come From Behind To Victory Independent
*Mo Farah Will Run Full London Marathon In 2014
*Editorial: Half A Mo Better Than No Mo Telegraph
Hamburg: 2003 5,000 World Champ Eliud Kipchoge Wins Debut In 2:05:30 The fastest marathon of the weekend.
*MB: HAMBURG MARATHON LIVE - ELIUD KIPCHOGE DEBUT
The Horror In Boston *Video Of Explosion *CNN Photos (Warning: Some Intense Images) *Boston Race Photos
- LRC LetsRun.com Message Board Gets Credit For Helping Make Clearest Photo Of Boston Marathon Suspect Go Viral
- Daily Mail: How Internet sleuths found crucial marathon picture first
- NY Times: "One posted it in a running forum, from where it went viral."
- UK "Quadruple-Checking" London Marathon Security
- Boston Blasts Remind Ugandans Of 2010 Twin Blasts That Killed 74 At Rugby Match
- Former 'Nova Star & 1996 US Olympian Vicki Huber Rudawsky Writes About Boston And Atlanta Bombings
- London Planning Many Tributes To Boston, Including 3 Moments Of Silence
- Kenneth Feinberg, The Attorney Who Oversaw Compensation Funds For Victims Of The September 11 Attacks, Will Head Out Giving One Fund Money
- Amby Burfoot, Boston 72 Hours Later
Field Event News
- Profile On NAIA Thrower Willy Irwin Who's 63 feet, 11 1/2 Inches In The Shot Put Would Put Him 2nd In D1 He passed up a scholarship offer from Oklahoma for the chance to be coached by 1976 Olympic champ Mac Wilkins.
- South Africa’s Olympic Silver Medalist Khotso Mokoena Long Jumps Over Crocodiles
- Kenyan Javelin Thrower Julius Yego Gets Telecom Sponsor eIn his early days, Yego taught himself how to throw by watching YouTube videos.
US Road Race News
- Vermont City Marathon Offering Free Entry To Boston Marathon Participants Who Weren't Able To Finish More than 5,000 were stopped from finishing after the attacks.
- Pittsburgh Officials Reject Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon Permit Application Because Of Heat Concerns For The Proposed August 4th Race About 4,000 runners had already registered.
Other Weekend Action: Japan HSer Runs 10.01; David Rudisha Is A DNS With The Flu
- NCAA: Arizona State Men And Arizona Women Come Out On Top In Double-Dual Meet With Arizona, Arizona State And Northern Arizona Lawi Lalang made his season debut with wins in the 1,500 (3:41.52) and 5k (13:40.55). Brigetta Barrett won the HJ, tying her world-leading 6-4.25 (1.94m).
- UCLA Men And Women Sweep Dual With USC
*Good Read: LA Times Chronicles USC's Bryshon Nellum's Rise From Gunshot Victim To Olympic Silver Medalist
- Washington Men, Washington State Women Take Duals In Seattle
- International: Japan High School Senior Yoshihide Kiryu Runs World-Leading 10.01 100 To Tie The 100m Junior WR And Put Himself At #2 All-Time Japanese Includes video. *IAAF Article
- Ethiopians Dereje Debele And Melkam Gizaw Get Comfortable Wins At The Düsseldorf Marathon Debele won in a CR 2:07:48 while Gizaw (training partner of Olympic champ Tiki Gelana) won in 2:26:24.
- Kenya's Francis Kiprop Wins Rock 'N' Roll Madrid Marathon In 2:10:37 Over Nixon Kurgat (2:10:54) In the women's race, Spain's Vanessa Veiga beat out Ethiopia's Desta Girma 2:36:38 to 2:36:44.
- Recap Of Day 2 Of Sixth National Bank Of Kenya/Athletics Kenya Track & Field Meet: Robert Biwott Wins 1,500 (3:46.5) As Asbel Kiprop Skips The Finals David Rudisha was supposed to open his season with a 400 here, but came down with the flu. World Junior 1,500m champion Faith Chepng'etich won the 800 in 2:02.8.
*Day 1: John Chepkwony Beats Joseph Ebuya At 10k
- Asier Cuevas Of Spain And Kajsa Berg Of Sweden Win IAU 100km European Championships
May 10th: 10 Olympic Champions And 14 World Champions On Start List For Doha Diamond League Meet Athletes competing include David Rudisha, Asbel Kiprop (1,500), Genzebe Dibaba (1,500), Allyson Felix vs. 2011 World champ Amantle Montsho and 2008 Olympic champ Christine Ohuruogu in the 400, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce (200m), and Jesse Williams.
US Milers Getting Some Pub
Recommended Read Great Will Leer Profile: Move To Southern California Is Paying Off
*USATF Elite Athlete Spotlight - Garrett Heath He's getting his PhD from Stanford soon. One smart (and fast) dude.
The Week In Review
LRC No Boston Hat Unless It Has A Swoosh, The 2013 London Marathon, US 1,500 Stars Struggle, & How Do You Pronounce Tsegaye Kebede? This week we take a look at the struggles of the US 1,500 stars Manzano, Rowbury and Uceny, wonder if it's the year that Brenda Martinez and Will Leer break through, wonder if Abbey D will break 15:00, wonder what the name of the 2013 New York City marathon will be, explain to you why the men's times were so slow in London, tell you what Eliud Kipchoge, Paul Tergat and Haile G have in common, and lament the fact that Andrew Wheating can't wear a Boston cap unless it has a Nike swoosh on it. All of that and more including Usain Bolt the king and a HSer runs 8:46 in 15 mph winds.
Boston Marathon Bombers Were Going To Attack Times Square
- Boston Marathon Bombers Were Planning On Attacking NYC's Times Square With The Rest Of Their Explosives Before They Were Stopped They were trying to drive to NYC in their stolen SUV, but the carjacking victim they were holding hostage escaped when they stopped for gas and called the cops.
- Seb Coe On Boston Bombings: "I heard it on a car radio and I felt sick to the stomach..."
- Moscow Organizers Will Install Metal Detectors For Spectators Along The Entire Marathon Course At This Summers World Championships
- OTB: Older brother triggers both bombs. Change anything? *No gun found in boat?
- This Could Be Jeff Demps' Last Week With The Patriots He wants to do track and football and the Patriots haven't made it clear to the public if they're willing to let him do both.
- Galen Rupp Talks About Winning His Silver Medal And How He's More Motivated Than Ever To Win "I remember sitting back with Alberto when I was in high school, just 14 or 15 years old. He told me that 2012 and 2016 were probably going to be the two Olympics when I would be physically capable of getting a medal. It was such a long-term goal when we talked about it, even back then ..."
Upcoming Spring/Summer Action
- May 9th: Nick Willis, Boaz Lalang, Garrett Heath, Aaron Braun And Craig Miller Lead Men's Field For May 9th Medtronic TC 1 Mile The women's field is headlined by US's Phoebe Wright, Heather Kampf, Aussie Olympian Gen LaCaze and Canadian Olympian Nicole Sifuentes.
- Aries Merritt And Brittney Reese Added To Fields For Next Month's NYC adidas Diamond League Meet Others previously announced include Tyson Gay, David Rudisha and Veronica Campbell-Brown.
- Mo Farah Will Compete For The UK At This Summer's European Athletics Team Championship On June 22nd & 23rd
- Renaud Lavillenie (PV) And Christophe Lemaitre (200) Added To Fields For Paris DL Meet On July 6th Usain Bolt has already been announced for the 200.
- IAAF To Set Up A Blood Testing Center In Eldoret, Kenya, Which Should Be Established In The Next 3 Months Also looking at putting one in Eldoret or Nairobi.
- Athletics Kenya And Department Of Sport Agree To Start AK Polls On April 30
Recommended Read: IAAF Profile On Ethiopia's World Junior XC Champ Hagos Gebrhiwet, Who Is Being Referred To By Some As "The Next Kenenisa Bekele" The 12:47 5,000 man had a more difficult than usual East African "rags to riches" story as he had lost both this father and mother by the time he was 13 and actually quit running and school at one point to do farm work to provide for his 5 younger siblings.
Questions On The Boards
- Best comment you've ever gotten while running?
- Would you run for a foreign country in the Olympics if you had the B standard?
- 2:20 Marathon: How Much Talent Required?
- If Mo had stayed in, he would have won the London Marathon?
- Can Rupp go sub 2:05 in the marathon?
Blue Collar / Inspirational Runner Of The Week
LRC Meet Conner Paez: "Please don't cut off my leg. Please just don't amputate my leg. I can't lose my leg. I need to run." Two years ago, Conner Paez was on top of the world as a freshman at the University of Pennsylvania (8:16, 14:18). Then his life turned in a second as he was broadsided by a car while on his motor bike. The injuries were bad, very bad. He almost lost his leg, then some toes. Doctors told him he'd never compete again. What's he doing this weekend? Competing again.
Prince Harry And Richard Branson In London (Flash Gallery, More Coming)
MB Haile Gebrselassie: Happy 40th Birthday!
On 40th BDay - Haile Recaps His 5 Favorite Races And His Biggest Racing Regret Haile's favorite race? The Sydney 10k. His one regret? No Olympic gold in the marathon.
*10 Of Haile's Greatest Races
2,000+ World Cross-Country Photos Now Up
Learn From The Pros
LRC Ten Training Tips From Bernard Lagat, Dathan Ritzenhein And Abdi Abdirahman The American men took center stage at the NYC Half on Thursday. You can watch video interviews with the top American men (Lagat here, Ritz here and Abdi here) and we will have more on their race preparations on Friday, but in the meantime we compiled ten training tips from Bernard, Dathan, and Abdi that you can use in your own training.