2013 Drake Relays *Results *Friday's Complete Results *Saturday Drake Photos
Saturday: Queen Harrison Upsets Dawn Harper, Kellie Wells, and Lolo to Take Home $25k, Nick Willis Wins Mile AP Zusana Hejnova won the 400m hurdles with a World leader, Reese Hoffa
had a world leader and Nick Willis won the mile by
over 3 seconds, plus Bjorn Otto won the stacked pole vault.
*Father to Be (and 30 Year Old) Nick Willis to Run Shanghai, Pre and NY But Not Run in Europe Before Worlds
*HS: Josh Evans Runs 4:10.86 in 1600 for Iowa State Record
Friday: LRC Wow: Jenny Simpson Impresses With Drake Relays Record And World Lead in 1,500 They say the sequel rarely lives up to the original. Well, that wasn't true Friday night in Des Moines as Jenny Simpson's first race since her reunion with Mark Wetmore was simply SENSATIONAL. Mary Cain was way back but got a new HS record.
*MB: Tim Hutchens (sic) on Jenny Simpson "The World Champion is Back."
*MB: THE WETMORE FACTOR
*MB: Morgan Uceny adidas 4:17.71
*MB: Official 2013 Drake 1500 Thread
LRC Rest Of Friday's Pro Action: A Stunner In the 110 Hurdles, Jenn Suhr Loses, Jeremy Wariner Loses, Brittney Reese Wins All 3 of the Olympic 110 hurdlers were running for $25,000. None of them won as Andrew Riley pulled a stunner. Brittney Reese was very clutch.
*IAAF Recap: Simpson and Cuba's Yarisley Silva Shine
*Quotes from Friday's stars. Simpson was pumped as her grandpa was a Drake grad.
More: Des Moines Register Coverage:
*1,500: Iowa native Simpson sets stadium record
*Huge 110h Upset
*Recap of Friday's highlights
News From Europe
After Boston Attacks, Russians Say They'll Have Metal Detectors For Entire Moscow Marathon Course
Nissan Named As First Major Sponsor Of The British Olympic Association (BOA) Since The London 2012 Olympics
IAAF Confident It Can Find New Diamond League Sponsor
Mo Farah Will Be Part Of The Great Britain And Northern Ireland Team At The European Athletics Team Championships In Gateshead In June
Preview Of Sunday's Dusseldorf Marathon - 7 Sub-2:10s To Compete
2008 Olympic Race Walk Champion And EPO Cheat Alex Schwazer Gets 3½ Years Ban
News From Kenya
Kenyan Olympic Champs Getting Their Seasons Started
- Olympic Steeple Champ Ezekiel Kemboi Racing Eldoret 10k Road Race This Sunday
- David Rudisha Opening His Season With A 400 In Kenya This Weekend Others expected at the meet include Pamela Jelimo and Asbel Kiprop.
The BBC Looks Back At The Horrific Systematic Doping Of East Germany
- The BBC Looks Back At The Horrifying Stories Of The East German Doping Scandals, Where Athletes Were Treated Like "Chemical Field Tests" "They talk of stolen childhoods and long-term health traded in for medals, of dissenters bundled into wooden crates and young women growing up to look and speak like men."
- BBC Looks At British 4 X 100 That Lost Gold Medal To East German Athletes And Asks The Question Why The IAAF Doesn't Correct The Record Books After This Well-Documented Doping
Former East German sprinter Ines Geipel: "I do think the IAAF should at least react to it, should maybe honour them again, those who only got silver, or should in principle look at these lists. I simply don't know why it isn't being dealt with seriously."
Other Doping News:
- USADA Head Travis Tygart Claims That Lance Armstrong Has Evidence That The UCI Covered Up Doping
- Aslı Çakır Alptekin Left Off Turkish Team For Mediterranean Games As She's Being Investigated For Doping After Abnormalities In Her Blood Embarassingly, because of doping ban, defending European 100H champ Nevin Yanıt will be unable to compete in the stadium that was named after her.
Countries Start To Name Their Marathon Squads For 2013 World Champs
- Kenya: Athletics Kenya Names World Champs Marathon Squad "Short List" Of 20 Athletes (10 Men, 10 Women) At first glance you might think "narrowing" the list down to 20 is absolutely useless; however, that leaves WR holder Patrick Makau and 2:03 man Geoffrey Mutai off the list. Those making the cut include defending World champions Abel Kirui and Edna Kiplagat as well as Boston/London champs Rita Jeptoo and Priscah Jeptoo and Eliud Kipchoge (2:05:30 debut at Hamburg last weekend).
- Japan: Japan Announces Marathon Squad For 2013 Moscow World Championships: 5 Men And 3 Women WC 5th placer Yukiko Akaba, who ran 2:24:43 in London, is left off because overseas races over their 'standard' of 2:24 weren't considered.
- MB: How does the US determine who goes to Worlds for the Marathon?
*US only sending three to World Champs in marathon?
Boston Charity Updates *One Fund Boston Site
- One Fund Boston Has Raised More Than $20 Million For Boston Marathon Bombing Victims
- Saucony Donating 100% Of Sales Of "#BostonStrong Lace Medallions" To Benefit Boston Marathon Victims And Families
- Florida High School Senior And His 13-Year-Old Quadruple Amputee Brother Trying To Raise $1 Million For Boston Marathon Amputees Their site has been live for 2 days and they've raised $13,000.
- New Balance Makes $1 Million Donation To The One Fund Boston
Also Boston-Related: Utah Man Arrested For Making Joke "Bomb Threat" To Sale Lake City Marathon
US Road Mile Championships Were Yesterday *Results/Full Race Videos
Garrett Heath And Kate Grace Win US Road Mile Championships As 1,500 Medallists Manzano And Rowbury Struggle Heath won with 4:02.79 over Jeff See (4:02.91), Leo Manzano (4:03.59) and Craig Miller (4:03.60); Miles Batty was 6th (4:04.53). Grace won with 4:43.02,
outkicking Sara Hall (4:43.61) and defending champ Heather Kampf (4:43.69). Shannon Rowbury was back in 6th (4:45.39).
*Post-Race Video Interviews
We Celebrate The 2013 Boston Marathon's Pro Race A Week After The Fact *Top 25 Results *Boston Photos *Boston Pre-Race Photos
Women's Race Recap & Analysis
LRC The Seven-Year Itch Is Met: Rita Jeptoo Closes Hard To Win Her Second Title Hometown favorite Shalane Flanagan closed hard but not fast enough to give the US its first win since 1985.
LRC Shalane Flanagan And Kara Goucher On The Beauty And Emotion Of The Boston Marathon Even before the bombings, emotions were running high for Goucher and Flanagan. We talk about their tears, the pro-American crowd and media, the incredile Joan Benoit Samuelson and even what Kara and Shalane do when there isn't time to go to the Porta Potty but a race you've trained a lifetime for is about to start.
The Virgin London Marathon - The World's Most Competitive - Was Sunday *Top Results LRC: Photo Gallery
Women's Race: LRC Priscah Jeptoo Finishes First In Women's London Marathon Marred By Wheelchair Collision Jeptoo was very
over the second half, but the race was marred by the fact that Olympic champ Tiki Gelana was wiped out from behind in a horrific collision with a wheelchair racer.
*Top Results LRC: Photo Gallery
More London: *Video Of Wheelchair Collision
Good News: Wheelchair Racers May Start Before Professional Women Next Year
*Josh Cassidy (Wheelchair Racer Who Hit Gelana): "One of these years a woman is going to have a leg broken, a career ruined."
*London Honors The Victims In Boston
*Some Are Selling Boston Memorabilia On EBay And Giving Proceeds To Charity
Recommended Read: Paula Radcliffe And Her Husband Reflect On Her 2:15:25 Marathon WR, Which She Ran At London 10 Years Ago Her physio at the time, Gerard Hartmann, says she has the highest pain tolerance of anyone he'd ever worked with. "She would hurt me rather than me hurt her. She would actually break me down because I'd have to go so deep into the sinews, I would have to ice my thumbs afterwards I was in such pain."
- Kansas Relays: *Full Results *Cory Leslie Runs Away Early From Leo Manzano, Nick Symmonds, Lee Emanuel In Mile
Leslie ran 3:58.18 to Manzano's 4:00.13 and Symmonds' 4:00.21. Emanuel was 4th (4:01.98); AJ Acosta was 9th (4:11.73). Leslie also won the Blue Shoes Mile earlier this month.
*Article On Nick Symmonds And Beer Mile WR And Sponsorship
*Olympic Silver Medalist Michael Tinsley Wins 400H In World-Leading 48.77 At Kansas Relays 2005 world champ Bershawn Jackson was back in 5th (51.22).
*Kansas Meet Recap
Penn Saturday/ Stanford Sunday *Schedule/Results
LRC Saturday American
Women's 4x800 Record, Robby Andrews Kicks Too Soon, Emily Lipari Impresses and More
It was a great final day at Penn. The American record got crushed in the 4X800, Big East XC champ Emily Lipari somehow won the 4X800 for Villanova, excitement in the World Vs USA DMR, Oregon won the 4x mile, Penn State the 4 x 800, and German Fernandezand Robby Andrews in the mile that saw 3 US guys go sub 4 for the first time.
*AP Recap of 4X800 Record and Rest of Penn
*Jeff Demps Gets Traded He ran the 4X100 at Penn.
*USATF Recap with Quotes from Athletes
*Good Question: Why are Drake and Penn the Same Weekend?
Penn on the Boards:
- Penn Mile: Robby Andrews 3:57.82 for 4th at Penn, German Fernandez 4:03
- US Women's 4x800 AR
- Emily Lipari Just Split 2:02.3 to Get Collegiate Record in 4X800 for Nova
- DMR: Brit Throws a Tantrum After Falling Down, Ethiopia Wins
- Can someone explain the U. of Penn Track config to me?
Stanford is Sunday *Stanford Heat Sheets/Results
Stanford 5k Preview The 5k is the highlight of the meet. The Worlds "A" standard is the name of the
game. Alan Webb and Chris Solinsky (who may not run
the whole way) and Ben True highlight the American contingent, Sam Chelanga is the other sub 13:10 guy in the field besides Solinsky,and a slew of collegians. Chris Derrick is rabbiting not racing.
On the boards: Stanford 5k
Penn And Payton Jordan Are This Weekend *Results/Live Stream Info *Stanford Heat Sheets/Results
- Penn: Day 2 LRC Men's DMR: Penn State & Robbie Creese Do It Again - Bayer 3:55
Some guys have "it" and Robbie Creese is
one. He isn't afraid to run in the front at Penn Relays and he blitzed the final 200 to give PSU its third COA title in two years in 9:24.
- LRC 4 x 1,500: Michigan's All-In Bet Is Rewarded The Wolverines, Ducks and Wildcats all ran three of the fastest 10 times in Penn Relays history but the amazing 5th year of Amanda Eccleston continued as Michigan got the win.
- Sean McGorty 4:04.47 We were impressed with McGorty's solo 8:46 last week and that carried over to Penn where he set a US HS leader.
- Sad - Ever Heard Of Drake Or Penn? Arkansas Looking To Improve Its 4 X 400 Times At Home This Weekend
- Philly.com Section on Penn Relays
- Felix: 'I love the Penn Relays'
- Nova settles for 2nd in DMR and 4 x 1500
- Broken leg guy Manteo Mitchell is at Penn inspiring many
- Day 1: LRC Villanova
Wins Record 11th DMR Title With Michigan a scratch, the Wildcats were the class of the field and ran like it as they defended their crown from last year. Plus we recap the HS girls distance action.
*Touching: Villanova Dedicates DMR Victory To Associate AD Who Died Suddenly At Age 25 On April 16th "A year ago, when we won Penn Relays, he handed us our wheel," Lipari said. "He's always been a huge supporter of Villanova track and field and the whole athletic community at Villanova so we wanted to support him the way he always supported us."
*Philly Inquirer: After sting of 2nd place at NCAAs, Nova wanted DMR win badly *AP Recap
*Penn Relays Steeplechase Photos
Experts: Don't Stretch Or Cool Down
- NY Times: Little reason to cool-down after excercise
- NY Times: No need to stretch before exercise
- NY Times: But stretching calves & achilles is good for plantar
2 Reviews & 1 Book Excerpt From John McDonnell: The Most Successful NCAA Coach In History
LRC Book Review By Former Hog Marlon Boykins: "Two Thumbs Up:"
book is full of insight into the hard-working, team-first ethos that
made us such a successful." We had two people review the book, including the 1:47 man Boykins, who was at Arkansas at the pinnacle of its heyday. "It was a self-contained UBER-COMPETITIVE atmosphere ... the sprinters, jumpers and distance guys all trying to show which group reigned supreme ..."
Book Excerpt The Legendary Story Of The 1989 Penn Relays DMR, Where 4 Kids From Arkansas, Texas And Missouri Beat 4 African Olympians And The Olympic 1,500m Champ The 1989 Mount St. Mary's Penn Relays DMR team featured 4 African Olympians, including Olympic 1,500m champ Peter Rono. John McDonnell's Arkansas squad featured 4 kids from Texas, Missouri and Arkansas. A legendary motivational speech by McDonnell and Joe Falcon on the anchor made for one of the great upsets in Penn Relays history. Read all about it in this excerpt from the new John McDonnell biography
LRC Review #2 John McDonnell D2 Coach Torrey Olson We had Olson, who has an MFA in creative writing, give his take. "It's got a lot to offer anyone interested in an incredibly sustained passion for the both the sport and the profession."
- JapanRunningNews' Brett Larner Analyzes Japan's Marathon World Champs Selections And Offers Some Criticism Of The Japan Federation's Women's Selection They chose to only send 3 women even though 2011 Daegu World Championships marathon 5th-placer Yukiko Akaba ran 2:24:43 for 3rd at the London Marathon (one of their selection races).
- France's 2008 Olympic 1,500 Bronze Medalist Mehdi Baala Says He'll Retire After This Year's World Champs
- Weird Twist In Oscar Pistorius' Brother's Court Case As The Judge Had The Entire Courtroom Leave The Building And Travel To The Scene Of The Alleged Crime Pistorius' brother is accused of driving recklessly and causing the death of a woman motorcyclist.
- World Junior Championships 200m Champ Delano Williams Says He Has Considered Representing Jamaica At The Senior Level He is from Turks and Caicos so cannot run for them at the Olympics since they aren't recognized by the IOC, but currently runs for the UK since Turks and Caicos are a British overseas territory.
- Oregonian's Ken Goe Follows Along And Describes A Long Workout Day With Galen Rupp And Mo Farah (Includes Video) 5-hour day including speedwork, gait analysis, and core/weight room training.
- Running Banned At Three Oregon Wildlife Refuges Because It Could "Stress" The Animals However, hiking and deer hunting are still allowed. So you can kill the animals, just don't spook them.
- US Government Sues Lance Armstrong For Defrauding Sponsorship By Doping
- Erik Kynard Named USATF Athlete Of The Week For His WLing 2.34 HJ Win At Mt. SAC
We Celebrate The 2013 Boston Marathon's Pro Race A Week After The Fact *Top 25 Results *Boston Photos *Boston Pre-Race Photos
Men's Race Recap & Analysis
LRC 2013 Boston Marathon Men's Race: Lelisa Desisa Wins 3-Way Kick For Title And Remains Undefeated At The 26.2 Distance The race ended up being a fan and promoter's dream - a 3-way kick between 3 big names for the title. Since the local CBS station went to commercial, we hype up the finish for you and ask if marathoning has a new #1 in Desisa. John Kellogg explains to you why the times were slow (2:10:22 FTW) and we point out how the slowest guy won the kick and just how special our predictions were. Plus Jason Hartmann (4th), Daniel Tapia (9th), Craig Leon (10th) and Rob Watson (11th) meant four North Americans in the top 11.
LRC Long-Time Track And Field Official Tommy Meagher Reacts Heroically To Boston Marathon Bombings Many of you certainly recognize Meagher - who in many ways is the "face" of running in New England. He passed the guts test with flying colors.
LRC LetsRun.com Visitor Will Brown Talks About The 2013 Boston Marathon Terrorist Attacks The 60-year-old marathoner was just 2.5 blocks away and says "it was the biggest sound" he'd ever heard - so loud he "thought it was possibly a plane crash."
The Virgin London Marathon *Top Results
Men's Race LRC Marathon Gods 1, Distance Runners 0:
World And Course Record Attempts Disintegrated As Everyone Bonked After A Crazy-Fast First Half The totally loaded men's field tried to live up to hype as they went out on WR pace, but in the end it proved to be a destructive pace.
Course record holder Emmanuel Mutai had a 28-second lead at 40km but ended up losing by 29 seconds as three different people had the lead in the last 4 miles. In the end, Ethiopia's Tsegaye Kebede was the winner.
LRC: What Happened to World Record Patrick Makau? He Didn't Stay With Leaders for 10k
*MB: Imagine if a in-form Ryan Hall had run London this year...
LRC: Photo Gallery
More London Men: *Side Stitch May Have Helped Kebede Come From Behind To Victory Independent
*Mo Farah Will Run Full London Marathon In 2014
*Editorial: Half A Mo Better Than No Mo Telegraph
Hamburg: 2003 5,000 World Champ Eliud Kipchoge Wins Debut In 2:05:30 The fastest marathon of the weekend.
*MB: HAMBURG MARATHON LIVE - ELIUD KIPCHOGE DEBUT
The Horror In Boston *Video Of Explosion *CNN Photos (Warning: Some Intense Images) *Boston Race Photos
- LRC LetsRun.com Message Board Gets Credit For Helping Make Clearest Photo Of Boston Marathon Suspect Go Viral
- Daily Mail: How Internet sleuths found crucial marathon picture first
- NY Times: "One posted it in a running forum, from where it went viral."
- UK "Quadruple-Checking" London Marathon Security
- Boston Blasts Remind Ugandans Of 2010 Twin Blasts That Killed 74 At Rugby Match
- Former 'Nova Star & 1996 US Olympian Vicki Huber Rudawsky Writes About Boston And Atlanta Bombings
- London Planning Many Tributes To Boston, Including 3 Moments Of Silence
- Kenneth Feinberg, The Attorney Who Oversaw Compensation Funds For Victims Of The September 11 Attacks, Will Head Out Giving One Fund Money
- Amby Burfoot, Boston 72 Hours Later
US Milers Getting Some Pub
Recommended Read Great Will Leer Profile: Move To Southern California Is Paying Off
*USATF Elite Athlete Spotlight - Garrett Heath He's getting his PhD from Stanford soon. One smart (and fast) dude.
The Week In Review
LRC No Boston Hat Unless It Has A Swoosh, The 2013 London Marathon, US 1,500 Stars Struggle, & How Do You Pronounce Tsegaye Kebede? This week we take a look at the struggles of the US 1,500 stars Manzano, Rowbury and Uceny, wonder if it's the year that Brenda Martinez and Will Leer break through, wonder if Abbey D will break 15:00, wonder what the name of the 2013 New York City marathon will be, explain to you why the men's times were so slow in London, tell you what Eliud Kipchoge, Paul Tergat and Haile G have in common, and lament the fact that Andrew Wheating can't wear a Boston cap unless it has a Nike swoosh on it. All of that and more including Usain Bolt the king and a HSer runs 8:46 in 15 mph winds.
Boston Marathon Bombers Were Going To Attack Times Square
- Boston Marathon Bombers Were Planning On Attacking NYC's Times Square With The Rest Of Their Explosives Before They Were Stopped They were trying to drive to NYC in their stolen SUV, but the carjacking victim they were holding hostage escaped when they stopped for gas and called the cops.
- Seb Coe On Boston Bombings: "I heard it on a car radio and I felt sick to the stomach..."
- Moscow Organizers Will Install Metal Detectors For Spectators Along The Entire Marathon Course At This Summers World Championships
- OTB: Older brother triggers both bombs. Change anything? *No gun found in boat?
- This Could Be Jeff Demps' Last Week With The Patriots He wants to do track and football and the Patriots haven't made it clear to the public if they're willing to let him do both.
- Galen Rupp Talks About Winning His Silver Medal And How He's More Motivated Than Ever To Win "I remember sitting back with Alberto when I was in high school, just 14 or 15 years old. "He told me that 2012 and 2016 were probably going to be the two Olympics when I would be physically capable of getting a medal. It was such a long-term goal when we talked about it, even back then..."
Upcoming Spring/Summer Action
- May 9th: Nick Willis, Boaz Lalang, Garrett Heath, Aaron Braun And Craig Miller Lead Men's Field For May 9th Medtronic TC 1 Mile The women's field is headlined by US's Phoebe Wright, Heather Kampf, Aussie Olympian Gen LaCaze and Canadian Olympian Nicole Sifuentes.
- Aries Merritt And Brittney Reese Added To Fields For Next Month's NYC adidas Diamond League Meet Others previously announced include Tyson Gay, David Rudisha and Veronica Campbell-Brown.
- Mo Farah Will Compete For The UK At This Summer's European Athletics Team Championship On June 22nd & 23rd
- Renaud Lavillenie (PV) And Christophe Lemaitre (200) Added To Fields For Paris DL Meet On July 6th Usain Bolt has already been announced for the 200.
- IAAF To Set Up A Blood Testing Center In Eldoret, Kenya, Which Should Be Established In The Next 3 Months Also looking at putting one in Eldoret or Nairobi.
- Athletics Kenya And Department Of Sport Agree To Start AK Polls On April 30
Recommended Read: IAAF Profile On Ethiopia's World Junior XC Champ Hagos Gebrhiwet, Who Is Being Referred To By Some As "The Next Kenenisa Bekele" The 12:47 5,000 man had a more difficult than usual East African "rags to riches" story as he had lost both this father and mother by the time he was 13 and actually quit running and school at one point to do farm work to provide for his 5 younger siblings.
Questions On The Boards
- Best comment you've ever gotten while running?
- Would you run for a foreign country in the Olympics if you had the B standard?
- 2:20 Marathon: How Much Talent Required?
- If Mo had stayed in, he would have won the London Marathon?
- Can Rupp go sub 2:05 in the marathon?
Blue Collar / Inspirational Runner Of The Week
LRC Meet Conner Paez: "Please don't cut off my leg. Please just don't amputate my leg. I can't lose my leg. I need to run." Two years ago, Conner Paez was on top of the world as a freshman at the University of Pennsylvania (8:16, 14:18). Then his life turned in a second as he was broadsided by a car while on his motor bike. The injuries were bad, very bad. He almost lost his leg, then some toes. Doctors told him he'd never compete again. What's he doing this weekend? Competing again.
Prince Harry And Richard Branson In London (Flash Gallery, More Coming)
MB Haile Gebrselassie: Happy 40th Birthday!
On 40th BDay - Haile Recaps His 5 Favorite Races And His Biggest Racing Regret Haile's favorite race? The Sydney 10k. His one regret? No Olympic gold in the marathon.
*10 Of Haile's Greatest Races
2,000+ World Cross-Country Photos Now Up
Learn From The Pros
LRC Ten Training Tips From Bernard Lagat, Dathan Ritzenhein And Abdi Abdirahman The American men took center stage at the NYC Half on Thursday. You can watch video interviews with the top American men (Lagat here, Ritz here and Abdi here) and we will have more on their race preparations on Friday, but in the meantime we compiled ten training tips from Bernard, Dathan, and Abdi that you can use in your own training.