The 117th Boston Marathon Is Monday *TV/ Internet Info (Free Internet Stream 9:30AM ET, Women's Start 9:32, Men 10:00 am eastern) *Boston Pre-Race Photos
2 ways to follow live besides the stream:
*Live Boston Message Board Thread
Know What Will Happen in Boston
LRC 2013 Boston Marathon Preview: We Break Down The Field And Try To Make You Look Good At The Office On Monday If you read one piece all year here, this is the one you have to read. On Monday, everyone in the office will ask you what is going to happen and you'd better be able to sound like a running expert or your reputation will be ruined. Sadly, we say the American men have ZERO chance for victory and say don't expect Shalane to end the US drought that dates to 1985.
Saturday:LRC Elite Media Day At The 2013 Boston Marathon: Trying To Get The Inside Scoop On The Leading Ethiopian And Kenyan Contenders Rojo thinks he's got some inside scoop on who is the man to beat. It's a shame betting isn't allowed. How will the 6th fastest 10,000 man in history, Micah Kogo, do in his debut? Is Lelisa Desisa the marathon's newest young star? Is relative unknown Dickson Chumba really the man to beat or is he not in top shape as he claims? And what about 2010 champ Robert Kiprono Cheruiyot? Plus let's not forget defending champ Wesley Korir.
*Kara Goucher: "I know the course and I know my body. I would just say that anybody that's counting me out is going to have a surprise."
*GoodWeather For 2013 Boston Marathon After The Extreme Heat Of 2012: Weather.com Says High 40's At The Start, Low 50's At Finish (For Elites) Flanagan: "I expect a hard run. I expect to die a thousand deaths. I don't know what to expect."
*5 Reasons The Boston Marathon Is Similar To The Masters (And 5 Reasons It’s Different)
*All-Time List Of Boston Marathon Winners In 1897 JJ McDermott won in 2:55:10. In 1972 Nina Kuscik won in 3:08:58.
More LRC Coverage:
LRC Jason Hartmann Has Upped His Mileage And Talks To LetsRun Before The 2013 Boston Marathon "I'll try to run as hard as I can and allow other people to beat themselves."
LRC Stephanie Rothstein-Bruce Talks Prior To 2013 Boston Marathon "I feel like things are kind of right where they want to be and we'll see where 'Lady Marathon Luck' is on Monday."
LRC Fernando Cabada Hoping For Race Of His Life And Top Five Showing At 2013 Boston Marathon We caught up with a more mature Fernando Cabada, who isn't ruling out a top-3 showing.
*ESPN: Time Is Right For Fernando Cabada - Former U.S. Olympic Hopeful Is Ready To Show Running World His Evolved Self
Weekend Track Action *Collegiate Results Page By USTFCCCA
LRC Andrew Wheating 1:50.75 Season Opener *Wheating 2013 Debut!!
First Usain Bolt, Now Powell: UTech Classic: Yohan Blake Pulls Up With Cramp As Kim Collins Wins 100m *Powell Hopes To Stay Healthy
2nd Day Of SA Senior Athletics Championships: Long Jumpers Steal Show In Stellenbosch Johan Cronje (3:38.13) over Juan van Deventer (3:38.40) in 1,500 as Stephen Mokoka (13:25) wins 5,000.
*More On SA Champs
Recap Of Fourth National Bank Of Kenya/Athletics Kenya Track And Field Meeting At Thika Municipal Stadium
Previous Boston Coverage
Reuters On Defending Champ Wesley Korir: Kenyan Lawmaker Faces Fast Field In Boston Marathon
RRW: Gebre Gebremariam Hopes Third Time The Charm At 2013 Boston Marathon
Nearly All Of The Kenyans Were Talking About This In Boston: Floods Sweep Athletes Out Of Kenyan Training Venues - Dirt Stadium Unusable
An Awesome/Tearful Read About The Power Of True Love Six Years Ago, Colombian Yolanda Caballero Was Only A Jogger; Now She's A 2:26 Marathoner Trying To Persevere After Losing The Man Who Romanced Her And Turned Her Into A Star She lost her beloved husband and coach to a totally unexpected death at age 44.
Did You Have To Work On Friday And Miss The Press Conference? LRC Archived BAA Teleconference With Nick Willis, Kim Smith, Ben Bruce And Gabrielle Anderson They are going to talk about Sunday's Invitational miles and 5ks as well as the BAA $100,000 distance medley challenge. If you miss it live, you can watch it taped.
Previous Boston News *Live Stream Monday @ 9:30 AM ET
- LRC Shalane Flanagan Prior To 2013 Boston Marathon: "I don't know if I'm in the best shape (ever) but I certainly feel really good. ... It's by far the best I've felt in a marathon buildup." We caught up with America's only realistic hope to end the US's 28 years of futility in Boston just before she got on the plane to head to Beantown. An excited, antsy, nervous, superstitious Flanagan revealed she's tried to learn from overtaining for last year's Olympics and has maxed out at "only" 117 mpw - a good omen for the 117th Boston race?
- Great Q&A With Kara Goucher, Who Says She Didn't Have A Perfect Buildup For Boston But Is Ready "You know, my preparation for this marathon has not been perfect, and at times it's actually been like a nightmare. But what does that mean? You just don't not run because things haven't been perfect. I mean, that's crazy."
- RR: Dick Hoyt And His Son Rick, Who Has Cerebral Palsy, Have Done 1,092 Races Together, Including The Boston Marathon The duo that raises money for charity and awareness for people with disabilities has been honored by a sponsor of the Boston Marathon with a life-size statue in Hopkinton where Boston starts.
- Some Good Tips If You're Racing Boston: Alan Culpepper's Tips For Racing The Boston Marathon
- Sharon Cherop: "I am doing well with my preparations for the Boston Marathon at the moment and I am determined to win it for the second time in a row."
- Guys From The 1983 Boston Marathon Comment On Why That Day Was So Fast On that day, 84 mostly North American runners broke 2:20, and 263 bettered 2:28:30.
- Q&A With Boston Marathon Director Dave McGillivray Interesting fact: Every birthday, McGillivray runs a mile for every one of his years; he started at 12 years old and is now
- Boston Marathon Will Honor The 26 Victims Of Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting With A Special Mile Marker At Mile 26
- Interview With 1968 Boston Marathon Winner Amby Burfoot
More Boston News
- IAAF Boston Marathon Preview: Reigning Champions Wesley Korir And Sharon Cherop Return To Defend Their Titles Korir faces Gebre Gebremariam, Lelisa Desisa Benti (2:04:45), Deriba Merga, 2010 champ Robert Kiprono Cheruiyot, and last year's runner-up Levy Matebo. Cherop will be chased by Meseret Hailu Debele and Tirfi Tsegaye Beyene (course record holders at the Amsterdam and Paris Marathons respectively), 2012 Chicago runner-up Rita Jeptoo and obviously Shalane Flanagan and Kara Goucher.
- Recommended Read: Wesley Korir Has A Lot On His Plate As He Prepares To Defend His Boston Marathon Title In addition to training, he has spent a lot of time in Kenya campaigning and winning a seat in the Kenyan parliament and his wife is pregnant with their 2nd child.
- Kara Goucher Is Hoping That "The Third Time's A Charm" At This Year's Boston Marathon "My first year, I felt like I made some tactical errors. My second time there I had a six-month-old baby, so that was what it was ... I just have to get it right on race day because I want to win it so bad."
- 30-Minute RW Video Interview With Shalane Flanagan Ahead Of The Boston Marathon
- Flanagan: "I feel really fortunate that they are talking about me in that capacity ... I like having this big platform to perform."
Sunday Morning Action *BAA 5k Results *5k Photo Gallery
Boston: BAA 5k: RRW: Kim Smith (15:16) And Dejen Gebremeskel (13:27) Win Aaron Braun was a strong second in 13:40 for the men and Molly
Huddle third in 15:28 for the women. Link includes video interviews with Smith, Gebremeskel, Braun, Huddle and Aussie Brett Robinson.
*5k Photo Gallery
*Post Race Interviews
BAA Mile: 2013 BAA Mile: Brenda Martinez (4:51.4) Wins As Nick Willis Makes It Look Easy (4:03.3) Willis came in full of confidence as he'd already run a 3:34 this year - so confident that he was willing to sport pink shoes. Interviews with Martinez, Willis, Gabrielle Anderson and Donn Cabral.
*Post Race Interviews
*Pre-Race: Nick Wills Moving On After Olympic Disappointment
Non Boston Weekend Action
- Rotterdam: Tilahun Regassa (2:05:38) And Jemima Jelagat (2:23:27) Win (updated with IAAF article) Sammy Kitwara was third in 2:07:22.
*MB Thread *Results
- Great Ireland Run:IAAF Dublin Recap: Kenenisa Bekele (28:51) Over Ukrainian Sergey Lebid (29:08) And World 10,000m Champ Ibrahim Jeilan (29:18). For the women, Brit Lauren Howarth (33:36), beat defending champ Gemma Steel and double Olympic finalist Julia Bleasdale.
*Bekele: "I am still young. I don't have a message for Mo Farah. The message is that I will train hard and I will be back."
*MB: Kenenisa Bekele wins in 28:54 as Jeilan third in 29:20
- Vienna: Kenyan Henry Sugut Wins Vienna Marathon For 3rd Time In 2:08:19; Flomena Cheyech Won The Women's Race In 2:24:34 Haile Gebrselassie took the half in 61:14.
*2nd article: Haile Gebrselassie Not Done Yet - Wins Vienna Half In 61:14 *Vienna Results
- Daegu: Abraham Kiprotich Wins In 2:08:33 And Margaret Akai Wins In 2:23:28 IAAF
- Brighton: Kenyans Dominic Kangor And Eunice Kales Break Course Records To Win Brighton Marathon Kangor won in 2:10:46 while Kales took it in 2:28:26.
*23-Year-Old Dies During Brighton Marathon
Saturday: Andres Arroyo Does It Again!!! Andres Arroyo - 8:51.47, Brian Jäger Elite Classic
*Race Video *Video Interview
*MileSplit Weekend HS Coverage
International Track Action: Kirani James 400 WL, Merritt Over Gatlin
- Kirani James Opens His Season With A 400 World Lead Of 44.72 At Chris Brown Bahamas Invitational LaShawn Merritt won the 200 in 20.34 over Justin Gatlin (20.44), Doc Patton won the 100 in 10.09 (head wind) and Kellie Wells the 100H.
- Aussie Champs: Ryan Gregson Is Only 6th In A Tactical 1500 Won By James Kaan In 3:46.29 Kelly Hetherington won the 800 in 2:01.22.
- IAAF UTech Classic Recap: Yohan Blake DNF's His First 100 Of Season; Pulls Up And Later Tweets It Was "Just A Cramp" Bronze medallist Warren Weir won 200 in 20.33 into a headwind; Stephanie McPherson lowered her own 400 World Lead to 50.74.
Boston Is Monday - Extensive (And Good) Boston Globe Coverage *TV/ Internet Info (Free Internet Steam 9:30AM ET) *Boston Pre-Race Photos
- Flanagan Contemplates What She'd Do If She Won: "You know what would be such a badass move? If I were to win the Boston Marathon and retire the next day."
- Recommended Read: Ethiopians In Boston Closely Follow Gebre Gebremariam This article takes you back to when Gebremariam won World Cross-Country at age 18 after patientily moving up after being 30th after lap one - barefoot.
- Kara Goucher Takes On Boston Marathon And Training Partner Shalane Flanagan
- For Shalane Flanagan, Marblehead Is Home Turf
- Elite Runners Share Their Favorite Things To Do In Boston
- False Boston Globe Headline: Jason Hartmann Is America's Best Hope To Win Monday's Boston Marathon We say fasle headline as rounding to the nearest .1% - Hartmann has zero chance of winning. The article also reveals G. Mutai told Micah Kogo to not run Boston as the course is too difficult.
Non Globe Coverage:
- Toni Reavis: Boston - The Mecca Of Marathoning
- 30 Years After His Last American Male Title, Greg Meyer Is Back In Boston Running Race
- IAAF Preview Has No Mention Of 6th-Fastest 10,000 Man In History - Micah Kogo
Recommended Read: Irish Examiner Devotes 2,500+ Words To Look Back At Great Career Of Sonia O'Sullivan O'Sullivan is full of praise for Kim McDonald. "He taught me confidence and to challenge people I'd have seen as better than me ... He made me believe I belonged and in that sense, I think it takes a long time to understand what you are doing. I'd be a lot more confident about things now than I was as an athlete."
Crazy But Interesting Thinking
- Arizona Man Starting 5k In 110-Degree Weather On Purpose - Hottest Sporting Event Ever To Be Staged In Arizona "Whether someone has gone bungee jumping, ran an Ironman or run with the bulls, this is something they won't have experienced before," said race inventor Jason Rose, a Scottsdale PR executive. "This is about us choosing to celebrate the heat, not retreat from it."
- Delusional: Yohan BlakeThinks He Could Be The Fastest Bowler In The World
- Cycling Ireland Nominates McQuaid For Third Term With UCI
Previous Boston News
Jason Hartmann Talks To LetsRun Before The 2013 Boston Marathon "I'll try to run as hard as I can and allow other people to beat themselves."
*RRW Jason Hartmann Remains Confident In What May Be His Final Elite Race
*Boston Herald: Hartmann Closing In On Retirement: "I don't know how much longer I'll be in this sport."
Great Watch Goucher Goes 1-On-1 On Local CBS TV And Talks About Her Near Miss At First Boston
ESPNW: Boston Brings Shalane Flanagan Full Circle
Burla: Cancer Survivor And Mom Hoping To PR
Good, Bad And Awful Injury News
- The Good: Kenenisa Bekele (And Ibrahim Jeilan) Hoping To Get Back Over Post-Olympic Depression With SPAR Great Ireland Run I'm still a little bit disappointed about the Olympics, but it's OK, it's life."
- The Bad: Heel Fracture Will Rule Sally Kipyego Out Of Moscow WChamps
- Awful: Report: Injured Again, Liu Xiang Is Basically Retired But Can't Admit It As Millions Of Endorsements Hang In Balance
We Didn't Realize This Was Controversial
Kenyan Columnist Is VERY Upset With Atlantic.com Article Saying Kenyan Distance Success Is Due To Genetics "There exists a system of knowledge, institutional infrastructure, and people that created and sustain Kenyans running dominance." Our response. Of course genetics play a role. Genetics play a big role in the NBA where the avg.
is 6'7" - nothing wrong with saying that. If genetics aren't big, then why are so many of a single tribe so good?
*Atlantic.com: Why Kenyans Make Such Great Runners: A Story Of Genes And Cultures
*MB: How fast were your parents?
Week In Review
LRC WTW: Can An American Win Boston? Andres Arroyo Impresses, And It's OK To Race A Lot Less than a week before Monday's Boston Marathon, we examine American futility in Boston and ponder: Can Shalane Flanagan end the drought? Plus, we span the globe from Carlsbad, to Gainesville, to Prague, and look at women's running depth.
US Elite/NCAA News
- Jordan Hasay Says She's Going "All-In" With The 10,000 This Year And Wants To Take A Crack At The "A" Standard At Payton Jordan
- Recommended Read: Update On Alan Webb, Who's Still Hungry, Focusing On Longer Distances And Says He's "Not Done Yet" Good news for Webb fans because he has definitely not given up. Good quotes from Jerry Schumacher, Chris Solinsky and the man himself, Webb, who talks about setting PRs at 5k and 10k (currently 13:10 and 27:34) and even mentions sub-2:10 in the marathon.
- Lukas Verzbicas Disappointed With Carlsbad Race, Where He Was Hampered By Lingering Effects From His Spinal Cord Injury He said he wanted to run 15:00 here, but wasn't too upset with the 15:21.
- Lauren Fleshman Writes For RW About Her Childhood - She Was A Tomboy And Was Angry That As She Got Older She Could No Longer Beat The Boys "What did balls have to do with this? All the boys were going to turn into something better than me, and there was nothing I could do about it? I quickly scanned my memory from health class for what puberty had in store for me and was horrified."
- Updated NCAA Rankings: Top 4 On Both Sides Stay The Same As Texas A&M Men And Kansas Women Stay #1
- An Open Letter From The TFAA's Adam Nelson Giving An Update On Their Battle To Get Athlete's More Opportunties To Market Themselves/Sponsors
- IAAF Inside Athletics Episode 8: Ato Boldon Interviews Former Olympic 100m Champ Maurice Greene