2013 USA XC *USA XC Results/Splits *MB: Official 2013 USA XC Thread *USA XC Meet Site
LRC Chris Derrick!?! - National Champion! link fixed The wait is over. Arguably the greatest
American collegiate distance runner not to win an NCAA title, Derrick pulled away from Dathan Ritzenhein and Matt Tegenkamp to win his first national title in his first race as a sponsored pro. It was a good day for Jerry Schumacher's crew as they had 3 of the top 4 in the men's race plus Shalane Flanagan winning the women's.
LRC Shalane Flanagan Wins 2013 Women's US Cross-Country Championships Flanagan was the class of the field (World XC bronze in 2011), but Olympian Kim Conley put up a brave fight. Afterwards, Flanagan said she will not run World XC as she prepares for the Boston marathon.
Jr. Races: *LRC 2013 Jr. Girls Results - William & Mary's Emily Stites Dominates
*LRC 2013 Jr. Boys Results - Ok. State's Craig Nowak Wins
*USATF Athlete Quotes
Great Sunday Action in Japan
A Great Read Kawauchi PRs!! On 6th Surge, Yuki Kawauchi (2:08:15) Gets The Best Of Olympic 6th Placer Kentaro Nakamoto (2:08:35) After Truly Epic Battle As Both PR Brett Larner's description of this race is fantastic. "It was as if Americans Meb Keflezighi and Dathan Ritzenhein lined up to go head-to-head at Grandma's Marathon" and truly delivered a mano vs. mano fight where both PRd. LRC note: We'd say it's more like Ritz vs. Hall battling but it was epic. *MB: Discuss *IAAF Recap
*Extremely Deep Results 41st place was 1:03:30.
- Marugame Half Marathon: After Great Battle With Olympic Marathon Champ Tiki Gelana, Kim Smith Beaten At End Gelana went out all alone (15:52) but by 15km Smith had reeled her in and taken the lead before settling for 2nd (69:00 vs 68:53).
*Men: Collis Birmingham Australian National Record (60:56) - Abel Kirui (62:04), Alistair Cragg (63:14) *IAAF Recap *Full Results
*Tiki Gelana Becomes First Ethiopian Woman To Win The AIMS World Athlete of the Year Award
Armory Collegiate Invy Was Friday/Saturday *All College Meet Results In US
- LRC Robby Andrews Just Misses American Indoor 1,000 Mark A week after a disastrous 4:11 mile, Andrews just misses David Krummenacker's 2:17.86 record.
- Results: *Men College *Women College *HS/Open
- Ajee Wilson Rusn 2:05.54 To Win Open 800 At The Armory
- Oregon Men's DMR Recovers From Fall To Get 2nd To Stanford At Armory Collegiate Meet Stanford won in 9:34.20 with OU 9:35.06 and Arkansas was third at 9:35.50.
- LSU Women Win Armory Collegiate Team Title LSU men were runner-up to Texas A&M.
- Other NCAA: Hilton Garden Invitational: 3 Go Sub-4 As Cory Leslie Wins In 3:57.81 Over Pete van der Westhuizen And Matthew Elliott
- Notre Dame Meyo Invitational Results: Geena Gall Wins 800 In 2:03.33 Miss State's Brandon McBride won the men's 800 in 1:47.74.
- Diego Estrada Wins NAU Mountain T's Invitational Mile In 4:12.58 (4:03 With Altitude Conversion)
- Nebraska Husker Invitational Results
- Penn State Sykes & Sabock Challenge Results
- Other HS: MileSplit Weekend HS Coverage
US Pros In The News
- Luke Puskedra Joins Alberto Salazar And The Nike Oregon Project
- Worth A Read: Very Interesting Q&A With Matt Scherer, Who Gives Some Great Insight Into The Life/Training Of A Professional Rabbit Asked if he ever thinks about finishing the races he paces he said, "My job is to eliminate as many variables as I can for the other athletes ... If they all have to wonder whether or not I was going to step off the track or not, I don't think I'd get many more jobs."
- Recommended Read: Toni Reavis Talks To Alberto Salazar About Galen Rupp's Training/Future A lot of good quotes from Salazar and Rupp, including - Salazar: "2008 was the last time Galen was injured. He strained a groin after doing a tempo run on grass. That was the last time in four years when he missed any training. In that time he hasn't missed five days of training or some alternative like the Alter G or treadmill work. Uninterrupted training is huge!"
- USATF Profile On Ajee Wilson, Who Says, "I definitely think of myself as a senior athlete because those are the people that I'm racing." She talks about making the decision to go pro and how at first she was unsure of herself, but now she knows it was the right choice.
- 5 Questions With Jackie Areson Talking about not making the 5,000 final at the Olympic Trials: "That was a huge blow. It was probably the worst day of my life ..."
- Spikes-Mag Q&A With Morgan Uceny From The UK If she could pick another even it would be LJ as she jumped in high school, and still has the school record [about 17 ft. 1 in. / 5.21m].
Random International Stuff
- Kenyan Government To Train More Anti-Doping Experts First thing they should teach them is to not give the athletes a few weeks heads up when they're coming to test.
- Former Irish Olympic Marathoner Dick Hooper And Others Hits Out At Athletics Ireland For Setting New Even Tougher Marathon Standards For World Champs The IAAF has set a flat 2:17 standard, but AAI have made that the "B" standard and set 2:13 as the "A." One athlete criticized it saying, "Considering only one Irishman (Mark Carroll) has broken 2:13 in the last 20 years I don't understand it. Athletics Ireland has got to be realistic."
- In Wake Of Charity Runner's Death, Anti-Doping Experts Warn That Dangerous Steroids/Stimulants Are Finding Their Way Into Everyday "Sports Supplements"
- For UK Visitors: AW Giving Away 5 Pairs Of Tickets To Next Weekend's British Indoor Champs
- International Marketing Group Chime Communications Completes Multi-Million Pound Acquisition Of Seb Coe's Management Consultancy Firm
Other US News
- Alberto Salazar Says Galen Rupp Is Still Hungry And Isn't Satisfied Yet "Galen always has been disciplined, but right now he is leading a very Spartan life. Well, he's living in a nice house. But all he does is run, rest and spend time with his wife. He's either training or recovering 24 hours a day."
- RR: It Was 50 Years Ago This Sunday That Bill Bowerman Started The American Jogging Craze, Which He Brought Back From NZ UI runner Dyrol Burleson: "It was kind of fascinating. Until that day you didn't see a bunch of older people - housewives, professors - jogging around a track. Suddenly, things changed."
- Article On Bobsled Career Of Lolo Jones, Comparing Her To NFL Player Turned Bobsledder Herschel Walker
- RunBlogRun Q&A With USATF CEO Max Siegel Siegel: "We are now pushing on the partnership and marketing sides of our business, on everything from sponsorship to membership, and have some exciting announcements coming in the next few months."
- Interview With US's Carlin Isles, The Fastest Rugby Player In The World He has a 100m PR of 10.13.
- Alysia Montaño Joins The ElliptiGO Project
Kenyan News: Doping And Vivian Cheruiyot Sitting Out World XC
- Unnamed Kenyan Marathoner From October's Standard Chartered Nairobi International Marathon Last October Failed Drug Test AK won’t reveal the name for "legal reasons."
- 32 Kenyans Receive Out-Of-Competition Blood Tests In Kenya However, the tests are still not like the real out of competition tests other nations face as they were given advanced notice and told where and when to show up. AK head Isaiah Kiplagat even said, "There was no impromptu testing. All the 32 athletes had been notified ..."
*David Rudisha And Vivian Cheruiyot Among 32 Tested
- Defending Champion Vivian Cheruiyot Won't Defend Her World XC Champs Title In Poland Her coach says she wants to focus on Worlds. He also said that after this year she'll move up to the half marathon.
Other Drug Related News
- For Those Who Think PED Use Should Be Legal: Off-The-Counter Energy Stimulant Linked To Death Of London Marathon Charity Runner Who Died Of A Heart Attack She unknowingly used a DMAA-containing stimulant (Jack3d), which was legal at the time but has since been banned.
- Colombian 400 Runner Diego Palomeque Gets 2-Year Ban For Positive Test During London Olympics
Saturday's US Action *Full BU Results
LRC Galen Rupp Runs 3:50.92 Mile To Become Fifth-Fastest Indoor
Miler Who said Galen Rupp has no speed? The endurance king has become the speed king the last two years and Rupp showed it on Saturday by running 3:50.92 in Boston to become the 2nd-fastest American indoor miler ever behind Bernard Lagat. *Videos
On The Boards: *Rupp runs 3:50!!
*any updates on the BU elite mile?
*Rupp is the 5th fastest indoor miler in history
updated Mary Cain Smashes High School Mile Record By Running 4:32.78 Cain breaking the record may have been expected considering she ran 4:11 last year outdoors for 1,500 (roughly 4:31 for a mile), but Debbie Heald's old record (4:38.5) was the longest record on the books for high school women (from 1971) and Cain absolutely crushed it - and we use that term knowing it is way over-used in track but well-deserved here. In the men's mile, Robby Andrews faded to 4:11.
*What's Better Than Having An Olympian For A Coach? Having Two: With Salazar Living On The Other Side Of The Country, NZ 2004 Olympian John Henwood Has Been Administering Her Workouts In NY
*Video Interview With Mary Cain
OTB: Mary Cain 4:32.78
*Other HS: MileSplit Weekend HS Coverage: Edward Cheserek Wins NB Invite Mile In 4:10.92
*Q&A With Edward Cheserek Asking A Lot About His Move To The US From Kenya
*Sarah Baxter Named Gatorade Runner Of The Year For XC, Presented To Her By Allyson Felix
Oregonian's Ken Goe Against High Price Pay-Per-View Track Broadcasts
London Does It Again
LRC 2013 Virgin London Marathon Field Released - Is This The Greatest Men's Marathon Field In History? All we can say is - Wow! The course record holders of all
majors, the Olympic
champ, the WR holder - you name it, they got it. And one the women's side? How about the debut of Tirunesh Dibaba plus 4 of the 5 non-pregnant sub-2:20 runners from last year? So sick.
*Reuters: Dibaba To Race In London Marathon *Discuss
LRC Mary Keitany Is Pregnant With Second Child, Will Miss 2013 London Marathon And Season
Oregon Indoor Mile Record Holder Mac Fleet Is Pumped To Be back On Track After 2 Years Of Injuries Things were so bad last year, he started drinking heavily and tried to tear his plantar on purpose.
Rest In Peace Will Steele - aka "The Cancer Guy"
LRC Celebrating The Life Of "The Cancer Guy" Will Steele Will Steele was running 18 minute miles last year. And never has there been a more inspirational runner on LetsRun.com. We pay our respects to this great man who contributed so much to the LetsRun.com community and lost his battle with cancer one month ago on Christmas eve.
Want To Watch A Live Stream Of The New Balance Games Or The Armory Collegiate Invitational? It Will Cost You $20 And just think many of you complained that the entire Diamond League Series on UniversalSports.com was too much at $25 with individual meets just $1.99. In our book this doesn't seem to be about track fans, but about getting parents to pay.
Dying Too Young
LRC 4-Time World Marathon Majors Runner-Up Abderrahim Goumri Has Died At Age 36 The former MAR national record holder at 2:05:30, who once ran 12:50 for 5k and was twice
the runner-up in New York, has been killed in a car accident. Goumri was busted for drugs due to the biological passport last summer.
Former 10k World Record Holder Samson Kimobwa, Who Ran 27:30.47 On June 30, 1977 In Helsinki, Has Died Suddenly At Age 58 Interesting fact - he coached Boaz Cheboiywo in Kenya and went to Washington State. *Wikipedia Page
*IAAF Tribute To Samson Kimobwa And Abderahim Goumri
Houston Marathon/Half Was Sunday
LRC Ethiopians Feyisa Lilesa And Mamitu Daska Win 2013 Aramco Houston Half Marathon The performance of the day belonged to Daska, who was dominant on US soil just as she was in all of 2012. Shadrack Biwott (62:23) and Lisa Uhl (73:28) were the top Americans as Luke Puskedra and Aaron
Braun also broke 63.
LRC Bazuk Worku (2:10:17) And Merima Mohammed (2:23:27) Win 2013 Chevron Houston Marathon Titles The former WJr. record holder picked up marathon win #1 as Andrew Carlson (2:17:16) and Tera Moody (2:39:10) took top American honors.
RRW: Ethiopians Sweep Titles At Cold, Wet 2013 Chevron Houston Marathon & Aramco Half Marathon Includes quotes from Biwott, Carlson, Uhl.
The Smoking Gun.com: Suzy Favor Hamilton Has Been Working As $600/Hour Escort For Last Year SFH, the 3-time Olympian, has
been one of the hottest commodities in the escort business over the last year as she jumped up to a #3 ranking and got rave reviews for her runner's body and for providing
the "full GFE (girlfriend experience)." One client raved, "I would do anything to protect her. ... She is worth every penny. I will go bankrupt before I stop seeing her. I hope no one else goes to see her, because I want her all to myself. ... I never thought I would find anyone in this hobby like her."
*Definitely Not Politcally Correct: Chicago Sun-Times Columnist: SFH isn't alone - lots of female distance runners are total nut jobs SFH had "a glint of ferocity in her eyes, of suppressed danger. I saw the look in many of the Wisconsin middle-distance and long-distance female runners. In my book, I made special note of them, of their lapses into near insanity, of their successes and crashes and eating disorders and dependence on their controlling German head coach, Peter Tegen."
*Suzy Favor Hamilton Issues A Statement
*MB: Suzy Favor-Hamilton: Vegas Escort
2013 New Balance Indoor Grand Prix *NBIGP Results (Tape Delay On Sunday On ESPN2 - 2-4 Sun.)
Men's 3k: LRC Galen Rupp Is Defeated As Hagos Gebrhiwet Sets New World Junior 3,000 Record Of 7:32.87
Women's 2-Mile: LRC Mary Cain Runs 9:38.68 For 2 Miles - The Greatest Distance Performance In US HS Girls History Tirunesh Dibaba was way ahead of the field as she won in 9:13.17.
LRC The Rest Of The 2013 New Balance Indoor Grand Prix - Centro, Lakhouad And Wright Win As Suhr Takes Crack At AR
*New: Boston Globe Recap: Salazar: Rupp "still a little tired from last week"
*RRW: Hagos Gebrhiwet And Mary Cain Set Distance Records At 2013 New Balance Indoor Grand Prix
*AP Recap: Dibaba Wanted To Go Faster, Al Sal Happy With Cain Salazar: "I think she did great. I told her to forget about the first couple of girls. Your job is to compete for second place."
*Boston Herald: Mary Cain Plenty Able To Make History
*IAAF Recap: Dibab Was Annoyed The Pacemaker Didn't Go Faster in Her 2-Mile Win As She Missed Meseret Defar's 9:10 Ethiopian Record
*USATF Athlete Quotes
*MileSplit Recap Of Cain's 2-Mile
Saturday *Lagat/Germany Results/Video
LRC Bernard Lagat Runs 7:34.71 For Dominant 3k Win In Germany Lagat blew away 12:48 runner Yenew Alamirew to win by almost 4 seconds in what is the 5th-best 3,000 performance (or 2-mile) in US history.
Rest Of German Meet: Meseret Defa 8:35, G. Dibaba 4:02 As 5 WLs Set In Germany *Full Results
More Weekend Results: Kiprotich 1:01:15 In Spain
- Olympic Marathon Champ Stephen Kiprotich Wins Granollers Half Marathon 1:01:15
- Russian Winter Meet In Moscow: Mohammed Aman Wins 600 In 1:15.60; Misses 1:15.12 WR As Frenchman Pierre-Ambroise Bosse Gets 2nd With 1:15.63 From The "Slow Heat" 800 bronze medalist Timothy Kitum was 4th in the fast heat in 1:16.43. Ukraine’s Anzela Shevchenko won the women's 1000 over Olympic 800 bronze medalist Yekaterina Poistogova, Olympic bronze medallist Mutaz Essa Barshim
won the HJ in WLing 2.37m, Kenya's Bethwell Birgen won 1500 in 3:35.25 over
Ethiopia’s Aman Wote (3:35.31), UK PVer Holly Bleasdale won in 4.75m over 2011 World champ Fabiana Murer and Olympic silver medallist Yarisley Silva and Kim Collins won the 60m in 6.57.
- Ethiopia's World Junior 5000 Champ Muktar Edris Outkicks Kenya's Albert Rop By 1 Second To Win Cinque Mulini Italian XC Meet Afera Godfay won the woman's race.
- 2010 World XC Champ Emily Chebet Surprsingly Finishes 6th At Administration Police XC Champs In Kenya Chebet was a perfect 4 for 4 this year coming in.
- Former Africa Junior Bronze Medalist Peter Kimeli Wins Nike International Discovery Kenya Half-Marathon He's the younger brother of drug cheat Mathew Kisorio. Hopefully he doesn't follow in his footsteps.
*Top 15 Results
- Irish Weekend Performances: Fionnuala Britton Was 3rd In Karlsruhe 3000 With 8:55.22 PR; Ciarán Ó Lionaird 5th In Boston 3k With 7:53.69
* New Balance Is New Sponsor For Athletics Ireland
- Italy's European XC Champ Andrea Lalli Wins European Champion Clubs Cup Cross Country Spain's men team and Russia's women won the team titles.
- Meshack Letim and Emmy Chebet Win Nairobi County XC Junior Champs Pauline Njeri and Abel Rop won the women's and men's senior titles.
- Benedict Moeng And Cornelia Joubert Win SA Marathon Championships
We're Not Making This Up
- NZL Field Hockey Player Enters Track Meet, Wins Both 100m And 300m, Defeating National Champs In Process
- Olympic LJ Silver Medallist Mitchell Watt Shows Up At Meet In Stretch Limo, Jumps 7.54m Off 10 Steps
More Weekend Pro Action:
- High Winds Result In Nick Willis Missing Sub-4 On Grass By A Ton - 4:08
*Stony Brook University Alum Lucy van Dalen Gets Outsprinted By Dutch Runner Susan Kuijken In 3k
- Ryan Gregson Wins 800
- 2011 Silver Medallist Aleksey Dmitrik Jumps A World-Leading Height Of 2.36m In Arnstadt, Germany
Pre-New Balance Indoor Grand Prix News
- Press Conference Recap: Can Galen Rupp Get The American 3,000m Record In Boston? Centro Unfazed By Having Slower Mile PR Lagat's American record of 7:32.43 is the target.
- LRC Boston Preview
- Next Weekend: Preview/Prediction Of Men's Kenya National Cross-Country Championship Race In Two Weeks Has a short blurb on each of the expected top competitors, including Geoffrey Mutai.
- Feb. 9th: MVP TC Athletes Shelly-Ann Fraser Pryce, Asafa Powell And Nesta Carter Will Race At Milo Western Relays In Jamaica
- Feb. 9th: UK Pole Vault NR Holder Holly Bleasdale Going For Her Third Straight National Title At UK Champs
- Feb. 16th: Galen Rupp May Try And Take Back Indoor 5,000 Record From Bernard Lagat In Birmingham Aviva Grand Prix
- Feb 21: 1,500m Diamond League Winner Abeba Aregawi To Run Her First Race As A Swedish Citizen At XL Galan In Stockholm She set the Ethiopian record during the summer at 3:56.54.
9-Year-Old Running Marathon In Antarctica For Charity
- 9-Year-Old Nikolas Toocheck Running A Marathon In Antarctica To Raise Money For Charity That Provides Winter Coats To Children In Need The Antarctica marathon is only one of 7 marathons he's running, one on each continent. Learn more about Nikolas or make a donation at his website here.
Good Doping News: IAAF Does Blood Tests In The Rift Valley
- In Response To German Report's Allegations, For First Time Ever, IAAF Conducts Out-Of-Season Blood Tests On Kenyans Training In The Rift Valley An IAAF insider said the operation was carried out with the full support of Athletics Kenya, but "In the beginning it was hard to convince them, but we managed it." Should the IAAF really have to convince Kenya it's okay to test their athletes?
2013 Glasgow *Free Mid-D/Distance Race Videos & Results *Full Glasgow Results
LRC Duane Solomon Is The Real Deal - He Breaks US 600 Meter Record With 1:15.70 Win In Scotland
Duane Solomon got rid off Chip Jenkins' record just days before it celebrated its 26th birthday and proved 2012 was far from a fluke. In other action, Bernard Lagat got a win in the 3,000 as Centro was smoked in the 1,500. Plus Geena Gall, Sara Vaughn and more.
*MB: Hrs Later Penn State Sr. Cas Loxsom Just Misses Solomon's New Record When He Runs 1:15.79 He did beat Jenkins' old record of 1:15.80.
Thank God They & Not Us Asked It - Carmelita "The Jet" Jeter Can't Fly Away From The Doping Question Jeter refused to answer the following question: Did Lance Armstrong's confession make "it harder to convince people that athletes in other sports were clean?" Her answer: "Well, I'm going to stay away from anything with that question, thank you."
Ajee Wilson Goes Pro With adidas
- Ajee Wilson Goes Pro With adidas She previously had said she was only deferring college for a year, but now she will defer indefinitely.
- Ajee Wilson Named USATF Athlete Of The Week For Setting The World Junior 600m Record At 1:27.30
- Starting In The Fall, adidas Will Pay Ajee Wilson's Tuition At Temple University As Part Of Her Deal Going Pro This is the same route Allyson Felix took out of high school when she signed with adidas and had her full tuition paid to Southern California.
- 18-Year-Old Ajee Wilson Sets WORLD Jr. Record At 600 (1:27.30) And Will Attack AR At Millrose
LRC Lukas Verzbicas' Comeback Continues With 21:02 4-Mile Win We're calling this kid "The Real Lance" as he is a comeback-from-near-death athlete you can believe in.
Who Says It's Just January? *Full UW Results
LRC Mary Cain Runs 9:02.10 For 3,000 - Arguably The Greatest Distance Performance In High School History
MB: *Cain 9:02!!!
*Mary Cain 9:02!!!
*How many boys state 3200/2 mile can mary cain win?
*NOW what do you think about a Baxter-Cain face-off at 3200 / 2-mile? Hmmmm?
Olympic 100m Bottle Thrower Convicted
Guilty: Men's 100m Bottle Thrower Is Convicted Sounds like due to his mental illness, he'll get a slap on the wrist, but the judge's reasoning was sound: "The video, in my view, quite clearly shows Mr Gill-Webb checking to see if he is under observation before taking the risk of throwing the bottle. I am sure that he was at that point weighing up the chances of being caught before throwing
in an effort to disrupt the start of the race and put off Usain Bolt. I am sure, therefore, that he was at that point acting rationally and wrongly."
*MB: OJ Simpson may have gotten off but the Olympic bottle thrower is convicted!!
Video: Kenyan Runner Edwin Kipsang Rotich Was Attacked During Brazil's New Year's Eve Kings Run 10k, But Still Went On To Win Police said the attacker has a history of mental problems and doing stunts like this. Rotich was unfazed at the finish as he didn't even mention the attack in his post-race interview. *Longer Video
Recommended Watch: Very Well Done Documentary On Ryan Vail On The Life Of A Professional Runner "This is my job. It's not about, 'I don't feel like running today' because everyone doesn't feel like going to work today. So I just say, 'This is better than a 9 to 5. Get out there and do your work today. This is going to work. Just get out there and do it.'"
Random US News: Lauren Fleshman Responds To You
- Lauren Fleshman Responds To LRC MB Posters: "Why I'm No Longer With Nike" Fleshman responds directly to LRC message board posters who came up with "several interesting speculations" as to why and how she left Nike.
US News: Adam Nelson On His Way To Becoming An Olympic Champion
- Good News: 4 Throwers From 2004 Athens Olympics Officially Stripped Of Their Medals After Doping Retests *2nd Article
- Which Means ... Q&A With Adam Nelson, Who Stands To Be Upgraded To Gold After Official IOC Announcement Stripping Yuriy Bilonog Of His Medal "To be honest, it feels really strange and it's a weird feeling. I've heard the rumors before and have not given the rumors much credit until an official ruling. Now that it's happened I'm excited. It is all just sinking in. You know, I feel I excited as I did to not lose that event [in 2004]; I was second on a tie-breaker. I feel good that I will always be the person who threw farthest on that day."
A MUST Read - One Of The Greatest Races Ever Run - The US Women's Version Of The Billy Mills 10,000 Win
RWorld Reintroduces The World To Debbie Heald, Who 40 Years Ago Incredibly Ran The US HS Indoor Mile Record Of 4:38.5 Steve Friedman's piece on Heald is moving to say the least. Heald, whose father had committed suicide,
who had been molested and who was always battling injury (13 different running-related surgeries), somehow
at the US vs. USSR meet at age 16 in 1972 beat the greatest runners in the world, including the indoor 1,500 record holder and that year's eventual Olympic 1,500 champion, by running an a 8.5-second PR of 4:38.5. She came from way back to win thanks to a ferocious kick and she was known for having no kick. Her life since then has been full of struggles with schizophrenia but her HS indoor record still stands.
MB: Debbie Heald article in RW
Heald's Incredible 1972 Race
More On Heald:
*2002 LA Times Feature
*1972 Sports Illustrated
*1967 Faces In The Crowd At Age 11
From The MB:
*16-year-old Debbie Heald takes down the Russians, sets AR in 1972
*No Wikipedia entry for Debbie Heald ...
*1972 USA vs. USSR: 16-year-old wins the women's mile in a national record. (still standing)
*1972 Video Of Debbie Heald
Run, Recover, Run More
LRC Runners Recover Better And Hopefully Stay Injury Free With These Two Products From The 2012 Running Event Wejo talks about some of the injury prevention products he saw at the The Running Event, which include better methods for massage, icing, and compression.
The Running Event Is In The Books *Photos
LRC The 2012 Running Event Is In The Books: Five Takeaways On The Industry Shark Tank's Daymond John Speaks The trade show for specialty running shops was last week in Austin, Texas and LRC's Wejo was there plus Ryan Hall,
Meb Keflezighi, and most of Saucony's top athletes. The running industry should be renamed the "how to not get injured" industry. Some take-aways from the convention.
*Press Release: The Running Event 2012 Attracts 2,100 To Austin
Doping And Layoffs
- And 8 Months Later ... Kenya Still Hasn't Started Investigating The Doping Allegations Made By German Journalist Hajo Seppelt Kind of begs the question, "Do they actually want to catch anyone?"
*MB: Doping widespread in Kenya? Fresh allegations by German journalist
- Ian Stewart Leaves Position As Head Of UK Athletics Long Distance Amid Angry Scenes
*MB: Nick Symmonds is smiling somewhere: "(Ian) Stewart leaves British athletics under a cloud"
- Football Coach At Texas Had Relations With A Student As Did Head Track Coach Bev Kearney But Kept His Job While Kearney Was Fired
- Russian Middle Distance Runner Olesya Syreva And Marathoner Mikhail Lemaev Test Positive And Get 2-Year Ban Syreva was the European indoor silver medalist.
News From The UK
- Stephanie Hightower's Hubby, Ian Stewart, Is Out From UK Athletics Distance Job - "Stewart leaves British athletics under a cloud."
- Emelia Gorecka And Steven Connor Win British Universities And Colleges Sport (BUCS) Cross-Country Championships In Leeds
The Week That Was In Running - January 21-27, 2013
LRC Rupp & Solomon Improve A Lot, Those That Do And Those That Don't Get LRC, 2:04 Marathons Aren't Special, Putting Mary Cain's Mile Record In Perspective This week we start by telling you there are two types of runners - "those that get LetsRun.com" and "those that don't." We tell you why we think analyzing the improvements of Galen Rupp & Duane Solomon is the very best part of our website - even though we know many (including "A Duck") totally disagree. We then put the record runs from Dubai, Solomon and Mary Cain in perspective before quoting a running executive who says a 2:04 marathon isn't "special" anymore.
A Look At On Running: Run On Clouds
LRC A Look At On Running And The "Cloud" Technology: Shoe Company Started By Former World Class Triathlete Olivier Bernhard was a world class triathlete who was injured with Achilles problems. So what did he do? He started tinkering with his shoes. What did he come up with? A better shoe technology, he thinks. Learn more about Olivier and the "Cloud" technology as LRC starts taking a look at some of the newer shoe companies.
Cycling: UCI Head Pat McQuaid Appeals to IOC Members to Help Him in Fight With WADA He wants the IOC to help him get WADA to back his controversial "Truth and Reconcilation Commission".
- Half Marathon WR Holder Zersenay Tadese Will Try To Break His Own Record At The Hervis Prague Half In April He'll be up against 59:30 man Philemon Limo.
- Millrose Announces Olympic 4 X 4 Gold Medalists Natasha Hastings, Mary Wineberg And Francena McCorory For Women's 400 Field
- Small Chance Usain Bolt And Yohan Blake Could Be Racing At Camperdown Classic At Jamaican National Stadium On February 9th The race director "wouldn't say." Take that for it's worth.
More Lance Updates
- Look Who's Talking: Lance Armstrong Calls Pat McQuaid Pathetic Armstrong: "Pat is just in constant CYA [Cover Your Ass] mode. Pathetic."
- Exclusive CyclingNews.com Q&A With Lance Armstrong
- WADA Calls UCI "Deceitful"
- Pat McQuaid Accuses WADA Of "Personal Vendetta" Against Cycling
- UCI Decision To Drop Armstrong Probe Was Largely "Financial"
- WADA Is Outraged As Cycling Decides To Scrap The Independent Commission It Set Up To Investigate The Lance Armstrong Affair
- Did You Miss USADA Head Tygart On 60 Minutes? Watch His 17-Minute Appearance Here
Remembering Will Steele: "The Cancer Guy" Talks About Being Diagnosed And Living Life (Much More Here)
Dayron Robles Retiring?
- 2008 Olympic 110H Champ Dayron Robles Says He Will No Longer Compete For Cuba He said he is through running for Cuba but offered no other details in a "brief telephone interview."
*This Article Says That Robles Is Retiring With Quotes From Top Officials
Week That Was
LRC The Week That Was: More Lance, Shoe Company Talent, A Cool Video, Photo And More We've got a cool video from France of Mo Farah, Galen Rupp and Dathan Ritzenhein, a cool photo from the Nike campus, some Hansons-Brooks news, and we delve further into everything Lance and what can be done about cleaning up the sport. Plus Ireland, the Euro XC champions, waves the white flag on World XC.
Webb Back In Portland
Confirmed: Alan Webb Has Returned To Portland, Joined Jerry Schumacher's Group And Is Focused On 5/10k Flotrack's Ryan Fenton caught up with the American mile record holder on his 30th B-Day, as a more mature Webb
talked about his recent struggles and the decision to switch to his 4th coach in the last 3.5 years. We give you the highlights as we know most of you don't have 22 minutes to spare. A great read (or watch) depending on how much time you have.
MB: Webb Training in Schumaker's Group, to Focus on 5k/10k in 2013, eventually the Marathon
MB: Happy Belated 30th Bday Alan Webb
A Great Guest Column
PJ Browne A Woman I Used To Know - Suzy Favor Hamilton Guest columnist PJ Browne reflects on Suzy Favor Hamilton and depression in a Recommended Read. "What I can now say about depression is that the irrational and the bizarre become the norm. There is no blueprint in a hit and miss mixture of drugs, incarceration and therapy. In my case, Zoloft turned me into a daring, brazen individual much to the embarrassment of my family."
Ryan Hall Speaks
LRC Ryan Hall Talks About Cam Levins' 190-Mile Weeks And Is Impressed Hall: "It's working for him. My hat's off to him. He inspires me. That's why I started following him on Twitter. I feel like I'm training hard and I'm not doing nearly that kind of training."
LRC Ryan Hall Talks About His Running Shoes Hall says he has different shoes for every speed he runs and that he has an "unhealthy attachment" to the Asics Gel Hyper Speed.
LetsRun.com's 2012 Year In Review
LRC We Say To You The Visitor, "Thanks A Million" For Making 2012 A Record Year For Us Now that the college football bowl season is over, the year is over in our mind and it's time to recap the special year we had in 2012. No matter how you look at it, 2012 was a record year for LetsRun. Unique visitors were up 38.55% and for the first time we surpassed a million unique visitors in a given month. Read the article to find out what our 5 busiest days were, what our 5 least busy days were, our most popular articles, most popular threads and more. Guess what day generated the most page views. Hint: it wasn't even a day during the Olympics or US Olympic Trials.ce Armstrong continues and we wonder if Ashton Eaton would be nothing more than a D3 football star had he stuck with the gridiron. And Jacob Hernandez calls it quits.
Meb And The Mental Side Of Running
LRC Meb Keflezighi Talks About Getting His Start In Running, The Mental/Physical Breakdown Of The Sport Meb: "I really believe during preparation it's 90% physical, 10% mental. When the gun goes off it's 90% mental and 10% being healthy."
TodaysMiles.com Launches On LetsRun.com
Today's Miles Launches The running world has got 3.1*, 13.1 and 26.2 stickers. Todaymiles.com takes that concept to running apparel. Want to celebrate that 26.2 you did? Do it. Want to run 20 minutes and wear a 20 mile shirt? You can do that, too. More info here.
2012 Foot Locker Boys Photo Gallery (Updated)
2012 Foot Locker Legends Pre-Race Photo Gallery
IAAF Gala Photos: The Stars Of Track And Field Are Beautiful People
NCAA Cross Photo Galleries (Captions Now Added)
Beautiful People: NCAA Banquet Photos (Click On Photo)
Back To Top18-Yr Old Ethiopian Muktar Edris Gets The Win Over A Deep Field In Campaccio XC Race As Kim Conley Gets 4th For The Women He beat out John Kipkoech (12:49 5000) and sub-27 man Geoffrey Kirui by less than a second
as Moses Kipsiro was 4th, Leonard Komon 8th, Euro XC Champ Andrea Lalli 9th and Scott Bauhs 10th. Debele Degefa won the women's race in a
close sprint with Afera Godfay as Conley was 4th and two-time World steeplechase bronze medallist Milcah Chemos 6th.